DE Takk McKinley

Falcons cut disgruntled former 1st-round pick Takk McKinley after trade-deadline drama

The Atlanta Falcons announced on Monday that they have released former first-round pick Takk McKinley.

The 25-year-old was in his fourth season with the Falcons after they selected him with the No. 26 pick out of UCLA in the 2017 NFL draft. The decision to release McKinley arrives after last week’s drama-filled trade deadline passed without the Falcons dealing the disgruntled defensive end.

McKinley chastised Falcons on Twitter

Last Monday — a day before the NFL trade deadline — McKinley tweeted that the Falcons had turned down multiple offers and did not intend to deal him.

After Tuesday’s trade deadline passed without McKinley being dealt, he once again tweeted about the Falcons turning down multiple trade offers over the course of two seasons. This tweet was accompanied by clown emojis.

Falcons fined McKinley, vowed accountability

Following that tweet, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that the Falcons had fined McKinley for his social media posts. It also reported that McKinley’s claims about trade offers were “false.”

Per the AJC report:

Although the Falcons spoke with other teams about McKinley before Tuesday’s deadline, the compensation never reached an acceptable amount to make a potential trade.

Interim head coach Raheem Morris also addressed McKinley’s tweets last week, telling reporters that McKinley “will be held accountable.”

“The wrong way to go about it is definitely the way Takk is handling it now with a pout,” Morris said on Wednesday. "So, as soon as we get an opportunity to talk to him about those things and how he’s handling that situation, that will be the first and foremost thing you handle first. ...

“We’ll move forward, and we’ll move forward swiftly, and we’ll move on accordingly. But right now, the one thing I do know is he won’t be able to help us for the Denver Broncos.”

Falcons cite McKinley’s complaints

McKinley, who has been hampered by a lingering groin injury this season, did not play in Sunday’s 34-27 win over the Broncos.

And now he’s been cut. The Falcons cited McKinley’s public criticism of the team in announcing his release.

“The defensive end also recently publicly criticized the Falcons on Twitter following the trade deadline, claiming he had requested to be traded to another team,” the team statement reads. “After McKinley made the comments, interim head coach Raheem Morris said the team would hold him accountable.”

McKinley failed to live up to his first-round draft status over three-plus seasons in Atlanta and never emerged as the disruptive backfield presence the Falcons had banked on. He tallied 17.5 career sacks and 22 tackles for loss in 49 games, including 25 starts.

whelp, I don't know this Bengals organization at all anymore, and I mean that in a positive way. This signing smacks of a reclamation project ala the past 30 years and therefore expected, but the last two years have focused on 'less risky' prospect. The preference for team captains and all. Then letting Dunlap walk. 

Who's in charge? Give them an atta boy for me.

3 hours ago, BengalBuck said:

Will he be available for the dirty stoolers? 

No. He won’t be able to clear COVID testing in time.

This is a solid move. Pay less than $500,000 for a 7 game tryout. He’s a former 1st round pick who is only 25 and had 16.5 sacks in his first three seasons.

He fills a current need and is a risk free move financially. Hopefully he plays pissed off and can help them win some games. If he doesn’t and he sucks, nothing really lost.

Not sure I get the injury prone thing which I’ve heard from some. He missed three games in his first three seasons.

Bottom line, the Bengals have explored their options as the season has progressed and have made moves to try and improve including trading a disgruntled Carlos Dunlap, signing Quinton Spain and now grabbing Takk McKinley. People usually piss and moan about the Bengals sitting on their hands in these situations and for once, they’re not.

Quick Note-The Browns, Raiders and Niners also put in claims for him.

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

whelp, I don't know this Bengals organization at all anymore, and I mean that in a positive way. This signing smacks of a reclamation project ala the past 30 years and therefore expected, but the last two years have focused on 'less risky' prospect. The preference for team captains and all. Then letting Dunlap walk. 

Who's in charge? Give them an atta boy for me.

Maybe Katy Zach and Joe ..

That would be intriguing..

I don't get the covid testing issues with players who change teams. The testing procedures are standard throughout the league, so what changes if a guy goes from one team to another? I would think a negative test in Atlanta would be the same as a negative test in SW Ohio

53 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

I don't get the covid testing issues with players who change teams. The testing procedures are standard throughout the league, so what changes if a guy goes from one team to another? I would think a negative test in Atlanta would be the same as a negative test in SW Ohio

The protocol is in place because of the travel necessary to join the new team. Lots of chances for exposure. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Also Hobson really cant help himself can he? Tick Tak Toe?

I was just about to call him Tickky Takk.

As in since we have added Tickky Takk (now number 96), Sam Hubbard and Xavier S'ua-Filo are off IR, what roster moves

are we going to make to accommodate them?  Geno to IR? Someone else?  And???

So much drama before Sunday.

2 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I was just about to call him Tickky Takk.

As in since we have added Tickky Takk (now number 96), Sam Hubbard and Xavier S'ua-Filo are off IR, what roster moves

are we going to make to accommodate them?  Geno to IR? Someone else?  And???

So much drama before Sunday.

I didn't think Geno was hurt? I saw he didn't practice but thought that Personal was not an injury?

1 hour ago, membengal said:

The protocol is in place because of the travel necessary to join the new team. Lots of chances for exposure. 

That's what this is about? If that's the case, have him drive up I-75 from Atlanta rather than by plane. Seems that'd be far preferable to sitting for a game or whatever. These guys are valuable commodities and every Sunday is significant

57 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I didn't think Geno was hurt? I saw he didn't practice but thought that Personal was not an injury?

geno is absolutely hurt. decided to try to rehab and play through vs ending season with surgery. he is at about 80% from whats people keep saying.

8 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

This is a win as far as im concerned. 

Maybe Takk just needs a new scenery .... if he starts acting up you can cut him and it doesnt hurt us 

Also am I the only one when saying his name is reminded of this?....

Agreed!  The old Bengals don't make this move even though it is just about no risk but a positive upside.  

I'd like to thank Dunlap for being a baby; since then, our last few weeks off-field have created a positive conversation about the football department for once.

Archived