11 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Oh, and anyone that doesn't believe this team needs a significant upgrade at TE and that the position is a "luxury" hasn't been watching football, and specifically the Bengals, this season. Joe Burrow needs a quality TE to play the kind of football he is capable of. That play where Drew Sample tried to catch that dump off lob was so comical.

Was thinking the same thing. Dude didn't just look unathletic, he looked completely uncoordinated. Pretty hilarious how he legit turned it into a behind his own shoulder catch attempt.

Yeah the problem with Sample is he's a 5th round talent or so who was picked in the second round.  He can be your blocking-and-sometimes-catching TE but like BFITO said for Burrow to flourish he needs that security blanket of a TE that can play like a large WR.  From what I understand of this Rams/Taylor/McVay system you need a receiving TE that can also block on the field, and most of the time.

2 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Yeah the problem with Sample is he's a 5th round talent or so who was picked in the second round.  He can be your blocking-and-sometimes-catching TE but like BFITO said for Burrow to flourish he needs that security blanket of a TE that can play like a large WR.  From what I understand of this Rams/Taylor/McVay system you need a receiving TE that can also block on the field, and most of the time.

We had that guy in Kroft but they kept benching him for a ceramic statue of 2015 Tyler Eifert & then reached for a replacement in the draft.

Just another case where we actually had an answer already on the roster but the coaches or FO were too damned stubborn to cross someone else's name out.

2 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Best point on Sample Ive read..

I believe in the guy but he has to show more..

5 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Oh, and anyone that doesn't believe this team needs a significant upgrade at TE and that the position is a "luxury" hasn't been watching football, and specifically the Bengals, this season. Joe Burrow needs a quality TE to play the kind of football he is capable of. That play where Drew Sample tried to catch that dump off lob was so comical.

The team needs a significant upgrade at probably 15 positions. 

23 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The team needs a significant upgrade at probably 15 positions. 

Well at the beginning of the off season Dufus Tobin stated “This roster needs some help”. Of course it needs help because Dufus picked shit players in the draft for many years. So what does he do? Sign a few free agents and then use the same useless personnel group to draft players. Not to mention the 4 Inbreds hired Shula Jr - but hey would not want to admit the same old way since 1991 may not be working. 

Bear with me....

GOOD - Squeelers defense trying to strip the ball on every tackle (Why the f*ck are we not that aggressive!)

BAD - the f*cking referees allow the tackle to go on too long "waiting" for the Squeelers to execute the strip!

UGLY - we looked lamo again!  I think another poorly prepared day.  :(

5 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I swear, he looks like Fat Randy running down the field.

He was drafted to be a blocking TE first and develope into a target when needed..

Hes blocked on both sides of center to 

help the line...

Hes done a decent job at it..

Hes not targeted much due to that..

Hes caught 20 of 28 passes to him..thats about 70% so far..

11 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Hes a blocking TE..

They needed this type to help out the underachieving Oline....

Hes done allright switching around both sides of center to help out..

He hasnt had much chance to be targeted on passes but he has caught 20 of 28 thrown his way..

This is his First full season snap wise..

They could add a Tyler Effiert type to the mix yes but in what round do you exoect to get such a prospect?? Samples job is what hes doing now and hes doin okay..

Give him some time..he ll be a good one at blocking and receiving..

Patience for the young ones is needed...

5 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

He was drafted to be a blocking TE first and develope into a target when needed..

Hes blocked on both sides of center to 

help the line...

Hes done a decent job at it..

Hes not targeted much due to that..

Hes caught 20 of 28 passes to him..thats about 70% so far..

Well, he does.

I like the guy more than most people on the board.

Maybe not worth a second round pick, drafted too high, but he does OK.

Just saying he isn't going to long stride break away from anyone.

4 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

A blocking TE is NOT drafted in round 2. Not to mention various scribes have noted 'his blocking is improving' which implies it perhaps was only average coming out of college.

Failed pick plain and simple. 

On the scale of "failed picks" Sample isn't anywhere near the bottom.

On 11/16/2020 at 12:33 PM, BengalFanInTO said:

Injuries-We might not be the worst team but man, is this team beat to shit right now. The secondary, offensive line and defensive line are all a mess.

Yeah it's crazy how that happens when you build a team from aging, injury-prone vets with no depth behind them.

This team was bad when 100% healthy, injuries are no excuse.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah it's crazy how that happens when you build a team from aging, injury-prone vets with no depth behind them.

This team was bad when 100% healthy, injuries are no excuse.

Pretty much.

Remember how fantastic this year's free agents looked?

Every one a LEADER.  Every one a solid player.

Every one injured a lot (S'ua-Filo, cornerbacks)

or underwhelming/disappointment (Bell, Bye Bye Bynes who will quietly leave in the off season

to join A.J. Hawk and Kevin Minter).

Tikky Takk... well, at least he never made it on to the field.  What a joke.  I'm surprised he didn't go on

IR when we were kicking the tires, pick up a Bengal paycheck through January.

14 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Pretty much.

Remember how fantastic this year's free agents looked?

Every one a LEADER.  Every one a solid player.

Every one injured a lot (S'ua-Filo, cornerbacks)

or underwhelming/disappointment (Bell, Bye Bye Bynes who will quietly leave in the off season

to join A.J. Hawk and Kevin Minter).

Tikky Takk... well, at least he never made it on to the field.  What a joke.  I'm surprised he didn't go on

IR when we were kicking the tires, pick up a Bengal paycheck through January.

Yeah IDK why people say FA's don't want to come here.   Where else can you sit on IR for years and keep getting paid?

On 11/19/2020 at 8:18 PM, T-Dub said:

Yeah IDK why people say FA's don't want to come here.   Where else can you sit on IR for years and keep getting paid?

The correct answer is Detroit.  What did I win?

Archived