DeAndre Baker???

Bengals reportedly interested in free agent CB DeAndre Baker

Baker is back on the NFL’s radar after charges against him were dropped Monday morning.

By John Sheeran@John__Sheeran  Nov 16, 2020, 5:00pm EST 

The Cincinnati Bengals need cornerbacks in the worst way possible right now, and there’s an available former first-round pick at the position who can help.

Per Paul Schwartz of the New York Post, the Bengals are one of several teams interested in signing cornerback DeAndre Baker.

Baker, who was a first-round pick of the New York Giants in 2019 by way of the Georgia Bulldogs, was released by his former team over the Summer after he was arrested in May for multiple counts of armed robbery and aggravated assault. He was placed on the commissioner’s exempt list before his release. 

On Monday morning, an arrest was made on the prosecution’s attorney, William Dean, for attempting to extort nearly $800,000 out of Baker in exchange for weakened statements from three of the four alleged victims of the case. Those three had already recanted their individual sworn statements last month.

As a result of Dean’s arrest, all charges against Baker have been dropped and the case has been dismissed. Baker’s defense team said that Baker has been “a victim of an extortion from day one.” 

So now, after potentially facing a minimum 10 years in prison, Baker’s services on the football are attracting the Bengals and many other teams. Pro Football Focus graded Baker 78th out of 84 qualifying cornerbacks in coverage in 2019, but the rookie ended the season on a high note. His coverage grade ranked eighth out of 77 during the final six weeks of the season.

The Bengals entered Week 10 with just four healthy cornerbacks and lost Mackensie Alexanderto a concussion during Sunday’s game against the Pittsburgh Stealers. On the surface, no team needs a cornerback of Baker’s caliber like them.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/11/17/cincinnati-bengals-among-teams-interested-former-new-york-giants-cornerback-deandre-baker-report/

Cincinnati Bengals among teams interested in former Giants DB DeAndre Baker, per report

Dave Clark
Cincinnati Enquirer

The Cincinnati Bengals are among several teams interested in free agent and former New York Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker, according to a report via Twitter on Monday from The New York Post's Paul Schwartz.

On Monday, the Broward State Attorney's Office dropped all charges against Baker, who had been charged with four counts of armed robbery and four counts of aggravated assault with a firearm. He was accused of taking jewelry and cash at gunpoint during a May dice game in Miramar, Florida.

Baker, 23, was released by the Giants last summer after being placed on the commissioner's exempt list. He was a 2019 first-round draft pick of the Giants from Georgia.

The Bengals were already thin at defensive back when Mackensie Alexander left Sunday's loss to the Pittsburgh Stealers to be evaluated for a concussion and did not return.

More from ESPN.com's Jordan Raanan on Baker:

"Wish him the best luck in the future," coach Joe Judge said Monday, confirming that the Giants aren't interested in reuniting with Baker. "We've made the decision we think is best for the program. That is all I have to say about that."

The final straw in the case appeared to be a South Florida attorney being arrested early Monday morning for attempting to extort Baker on behalf of three of the alleged victims.

William Dean, 50, was looking for Baker to pay more than $266,000 to each of his clients, who in turn would do "anything you want, so long as the money is right."

He was a good player in college which made him a first round pick. But he's small and not very physical and was regarded by the Giants as a disappointment. But he could be like Eli Apple and washout in NYC but hang around the league for a while. He's surely better than Davis and Brown. He won't get another significant signing bonus from a new team, just a chance so there's no harm in giving him a shot. 

9 hours ago, sparky151 said:

He was a good player in college which made him a first round pick. But he's small and not very physical and was regarded by the Giants as a disappointment. But he could be like Eli Apple and washout in NYC but hang around the league for a while. He's surely better than Davis and Brown. He won't get another significant signing bonus from a new team, just a chance so there's no harm in giving him a shot. 

He was listed at 183lbs rookie year.

Hes now 193..At 5'11 I dont see him as small.

Same size as WJ..

Hes a bump and run corner.

If he doesnt disrupt them at the line he can be toasted downfield at 4.55 speed..

We still need him...

Quite a strange story. Sounds like a rush to judgement by the Giants which is the norm these days. He was the first CB taken in 2019 and although he didn't have a great rookie season (not many CBs do), he would definitely be worth trying to sign and develop. Kid clearly has potential. Yes, he is on the smaller side but I would absolutely take a shot on him.

He's already heading to KC to meet with the Chiefs though, so, I don't see us even getting a shot. They're obviously a way better team/organization and there's some ties there as he played with Mecole Hardman at Georgia.

3 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Quite a strange story. Sounds like a rush to judgement by the Giants which is the norm these days. He was the first CB taken in 2019 and although he didn't have a great rookie season (not many CBs do), he would definitely be worth trying to sign and develop. Kid clearly has potential. Yes, he is on the smaller side but I would absolutely take a shot on him.

He's already heading to KC to meet with the Chiefs though, so, I don't see us even getting a shot. They're obviously a way better team/organization and there's some ties there as he played with Mecole Hardman at Georgia.

Good points...

KC has an Explosive offense but having their troubles on defense..

Would be a great opportunity for him there..

Our chances seem slim unless Katy offers him a boatload contract and I dont think she will..That slow 4.55 speed hurts his ability..

25 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

You never know....he could have been a huge pain in the ass that they didn't want back in the room.

No reason for the Bengals not to kick the tires.  People grow up.  I would think an experience like this would change a person.

14 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

If he's on the PS doesn't that mean that anyone can poach him?

No. At least I am assuming not. With the new COVID rules, teams can protect four players on their practice squad every week. I would assume the Chiefs would choose to protect Baker as one of these players. If not then, yes, a team could poach him.

Interestingly, Quinton Spain is still on the Bengals practice squad although, if they "call him up" this week, he will need to join the 53 man roster. I am hoping in doing so they offer him a three year contract.

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

No. At least I am assuming not. With the new COVID rules, teams can protect four players on their practice squad every week. I would assume the Chiefs would choose to protect Baker as one of these players. If not then, yes, a team could poach him.

Interestingly, Quinton Spain is still on the Bengals practice squad although, if they "call him up" this week, he will need to join the 53 man roster. I am hoping in doing so they offer him a three year contract.

I didn't realize players could be protected on PS. Thanks for that info

How did Spain play the last two games if he's not on the active roster?

17 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Spain damn near got off the bus and was inserted at LG and looked good there.

Next game hes playing RT and helped move the run game..too bad they didnt stick with that idea..

Hes big strong and a mentor toi the young ones..

Hes been a shot in the arm for this unit..

3 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

They normally can't. It's a new rule for COVID. They are now also allowed to carry up to six players on the practice squad who have more than two accrued seasons. That's the reason Spain can be on there in the first place.

He can play because teams can promote up to two players from the practice squad to the active roster per week. These players can be sent back down to the practice squad without having to clear waivers BUT they can only do that twice. I believe the Stealers game was the second time they've done this with Spain so when they call him up for the Washington game, that will be it. He will then have to stay on the 53 man roster (where he should be anyway).

11 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Too bad we missed out on DeAndre Baker.  Maybe we can bring Adam Jones back to fill his spot on the team and maybe play some cornerback, too.

Naw...he'd commit a penalty to cost us a game or two..

Oh we 've been thru that with him allready...

Archived