WTF Game Day Thread

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Problem with this team is too many holes to fill..

Maybe you land 2 bluechip types in the first couple rounds..

Then what??

Still many holes to fill to compete in this rough division..

Katy has to cut alot of players that arent earning their big contracts..

Then go after a few top FAs ..

I agree there are a lot of holes to fill.  But they have to start sometime.  I understand that the Brown family are decent folks and a lot of owners are to some extent, but if you want to succeed in the NFL today you have to be cut throat.

AJ makes $18 million+, Geno $14 million+ and tack on Carlos $6 million+ dead money and Dre's $3 million dead money and all I hear about is how good the Brown Family is at business.  That doesn't seem like much value for $40 million to me.

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

I agree there are a lot of holes to fill.  But they have to start sometime.  I understand that the Brown family are decent folks and a lot of owners are to some extent, but if you want to succeed in the NFL today you have to be cut throat.

AJ makes $18 million+, Geno $14 million+ and tack on Carlos $6 million+ dead money and Dre's $3 million dead money and all I hear about is how good the Brown Family is at business.  That doesn't seem like much value for $40 million to me.

Not sure anyone said the Brown family was good at business. They are good at sucking money from other owners and the NFL that is about it. 

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

Point taken. I assume you think JB won’t be ready at the beginning of next season which could be the case. 

No, I have every expectation that JB will be perfectly ready for game one next yr. CP was ready game one and that was 15 yrs ago. We need a better backup to cover us the next time Burrow gets hurt. The idea is that we won't be bottom dwellers at that point and there might actually be a playoff spot to chase

If it's just his ACL he will be back preseason game 1, if there are additional things around the ACL then that puts it in question. 

Right now we just dont know, and wont know until they get him seen by a Dr. and get the results back. 

I suspect we will know in the next few days.

2 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

No, I have every expectation that JB will be perfectly ready for game one next yr. CP was ready game one and that was 15 yrs ago. We need a better backup to cover us the next time Burrow gets hurt. The idea is that we won't be bottom dwellers at that point and there might actually be a playoff spot to chase

Yeah, I write my reply when everyone was thinking Alex Smith type injury.  He should be back with an ACL. It was NEVER an intelligent move to bring Joe B in with almost NO camp,  no OTAs and have Ryan Finley as his mentor and backup. 

Mahomes had Alex Smith

Tua has Fitz

Herbert has Tyrod Taylor 10 years, 47 starts

Finley?? 3 starts, 64 QB rating

I don't think the lack of a mentor doomed Burrow. It's also not that the front office neglected the O line. They have signed and drafted many men to address it going back to Ced O and Jake Fisher in the 2015 draft. The problem is that those guys didn't work out. Is it due to lack of talent or poor coaching? I don't know but it's not like they neglected it. This wasn't like putting in Rod Jones like they did in the 90s. The team invested heavily in linemen. They just all sucked.

40 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, I write my reply when everyone was thinking Alex Smith type injury.  He should be back with an ACL. It was NEVER an intelligent move to bring Joe B in with almost NO camp,  no OTAs and have Ryan Finley as his mentor and backup. 

Mahomes had Alex Smith

Tua has Fitz

Herbert has Tyrod Taylor 10 years, 47 starts

Finley?? 3 starts, 64 QB rating

Tuba got benched yesterday for Fuzzy Fuzzy Fitz.

46 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

I don't think the lack of a mentor doomed Burrow. It's also not that the front office neglected the O line. They have signed and drafted many men to address it going back to Ced O and Jake Fisher in the 2015 draft. The problem is that those guys didn't work out. Is it due to lack of talent or poor coaching? I don't know but it's not like they neglected it. This wasn't like putting in Rod Jones like they did in the 90s. The team invested heavily in linemen. They just all sucked.

Maybe the smallest scouting staff in the NFL and having the Brown family members directly involved in talent evaluation may have some relationship to the regularly poor outcomes from the draft?

1 hour ago, Sea Ray said:

I agree with this. It's not like they are the only team that whiffs on draft picks. What I have noticed over the years, is they seem to really do a good job on finding skill position players. Other positions, not so much. Personally, I don't think ZT can hold Marvin's jock. He needs to be held to account for being 4-21-1. It has to end after this year. They were very active in FA on the defensive side of the ball and the defense still sucks. If it were me, I'm going after Joe Brady.

1 hour ago, Sea Ray said:

But if the guys did not work out and they did not work at replacing them, they neglected it. One could argue Hart is the new Rod Jones. And, given all the OL picked have sucked they STILL have not addressed the shitty scouting department - that is neglect. 

3 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

I agree with this. It's not like they are the only team that whiffs on draft picks. What I have noticed over the years, is they seem to really do a good job on finding skill position players. Other positions, not so much. Personally, I don't think ZT can hold Marvin's jock. He needs to be held to account for being 4-21-1. It has to end after this year. They were very active in FA on the defensive side of the ball and the defense still sucks. If it were me, I'm going after Joe Brady.

It is becoming more and more obvious that are recent rise to mediocrity was far more about Marvin during periods when he had good assistant coaches. Even Marvin with crappy assistants struggled. Clearly, his time was up here but the team has taken 2 steps backwards with Zac Shula and his garbage assistants. 

And another obvious point - if your business model involves relying on the coaches to be scouts, then they had better be not only good coaches but good evaluators (there is a difference). 

The last 2 years fiasco reminds me of the 90's. 

1 minute ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

It is becoming more and more obvious that are recent rise to mediocrity was far more about Marvin during periods when he had good assistant coaches. Even Marvin with crappy assistants struggled. Clearly, his time was up here but the team has taken 2 steps backwards with Zac Shula and his garbage assistants. 

And another obvious point - if your business model involves relying on the coaches to be scouts, then they had better be not only good coaches but good evaluators (there is a difference). 

The last 2 years fiasco reminds me of the 90's. 

I can't really argue with any of this. They've missed badly on this coaching hire IMO. They took whoever they could get as DC and got rid of a much better OL coach. Yes Marvin's time was up here, Many of his assistants went on to be HC's, and he fielded lot's of competitive teams during his time here. If they're serious about winning with Burrow, it's time to hold ZT accountable.

Just now, OneHeartBeat said:

I can't really argue with any of this. They've missed badly on this coaching hire IMO. They took whoever they could get as DC and got rid of a much better OL coach. Yes Marvin's time was up here, Many of his assistants went on to be HC's, and he fielded lot's of competitive teams during his time here. If they're serious about winning with Burrow, it's time to hold ZT accountable.

Mike Brown has no concept of time or accountability. He said the last coaching search was 'exhausting' so expect no changes. 

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Mike Brown has no concept of time or accountability. He said the last coaching search was 'exhausting' so expect no changes. 

I don't know. I'm not sure the franchise survives in Cincinnati if they don't win with the Ohio kid. If they can win with him, I can see a new stadium in the future. It won't happen with continuous sucking.

On 11/23/2020 at 12:55 PM, OneHeartBeat said:

I don't know. I'm not sure the franchise survives in Cincinnati if they don't win with the Ohio kid. If they can win with him, I can see a new stadium in the future. It won't happen with continuous sucking.

2026 is when the stadium deal expires.  St. Louis is licking its chops. 

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

Be careful what you wish for....

I would NEVER wish this on anyone after we almost lost the Sacramento Kings to Seattle. Even if they Bengals were coming to Norcal I would still say no. I cannot even imagine how screwed up that would be. 

11 minutes ago, Gary said:

I would NEVER wish this on anyone after we almost lost the Sacramento Kings to Seattle. Even if they Bengals were coming to Norcal I would still say no. I cannot even imagine how screwed up that would be. 

Sacramento Kings?  You mean the old Cincinnati Royals?

7 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Be careful what you wish for....

I am not wishing for it but you can bet the other owners are.  Two reasons:

1. This area is saturated with NFL teams.  6 teams within 300 miles of cincy. 

2. The Bengals organization is a parasite in the NFL.  They and Detroit add almost nothing to the league. 

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

2. The Bengals organization is a parasite in the NFL.  They and Detroit add almost nothing to the league. 

Bengals and the Lions subtract from the league ; worse than adding nothing

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The Bengals may move to St. Louis, but the Brown family isn't selling.  They will still be a parasite in the NFL, thus "be careful what you ask for, St. Louis."

Archived