Suck for Sewell

Article from the Athletic:

As Bengals fans dream of Penei Sewell, experts weigh in on what he would bring:

If everything goes right — or wrong, depending on where you stand in your fandom — the Bengals should know which player they will draft long before the NFL convenes in Indianapolis for the scouting combine at the end of February.

The Bengals were betrothed to Joe Burrow before Christmas last year after losing a Week 16 game in Miami that clinched the No. 1 pick. Nuptials are tentatively pending this year with Oregon offensive tackle Penei Sewell.

The Bengals would pick third behind the Jets and Jaguars if the draft were held today and have their choice of anyone not named Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields.

“There is zero chance the Jets consider Sewell,” said The Athletic’s Jets beat writer, Connor Hughes. “They’ll take Lawrence. Honestly, it’s pretty straightforward.”

The quarterback-or-bust thought process is the same in Jacksonville, where Gardner Minshew has been a mix of excitement, frustration and disappointment.

This is the point where we add the obligatory “there’s a lot of football left to be played.” But of the seven teams within a half-game of the No. 3 pick — the Chargers, Texans, Falcons, Cowboys, Giants and Washington Football Team are all 3-7 — the Bengals (2-7-1) might have the best chance to go 0-6 to secure it given they only won two games with Burrow and the drop-off to Brandon Allen is steep.

The Bengals need offensive line help and have for years. Sewell is a rare talent whom many view as a can’t-miss prospect.

In his initial top 50 rankings in late August, The Athletic’s Dane Brugler had Sewell at No. 2 behind Lawrence.

“Sewell is far from a perfect player, but he is my highest non-quarterback prospect,” Brugler wrote. “Not only is he physically gifted with outstanding athleticism and power, but he plays with timing, smarts and violence to dominate his assignments. Although he needs to tidy up a few areas, Sewell has NFL starting talent with the potential to be a Pro Bowl performer.”

Sewell opted out of playing this season while the Pac-12 was deciding whether it would play. But that’s not expected to affect his prospects after a true sophomore season in which he won the Outland Trophy and was a unanimous All-America selection.

He also was only 19 when the season started. With a late October birthday, Sewell will only be 20 when he plays his first NFL game.

Pro Football Focus gave Sewell a 95.8 grade last year, the site’s highest ever for a tackle since it began college grades in 2015.

“He’s pretty ridiculous,” PFF’s Mike Renner said. “Where he looks the most different from anyone is when he’s running in space. His screen blocking in that Oregon offense was incredible. But he’s also so good at pass protection and run blocking. But you just see how different he is from any other tackle when he’s running. He looks like a tight end at 330 pounds.”

Oregon listed Sewell at 6-foot-6 and 325 pounds last season.

Former Bengals offensive line coach and current Sirius/XM NFL contributor Paul Alexander said he likes what he’s seen from Sewell but is refraining from projecting what he can do at the next level until he sees the official measurements.

“I’ve heard conflicting measurements on his height, which might be a real concern,” Alexander said. “I’m waiting for a verified height before I comment on him.”

But Brugler and Renner are all in on Sewell, who is a virtual lock to be the first tackle drafted.

“Although they play on different sides of the ball, this year’s version of Chase Young or Nick Bosa is Sewell, a dominant prospect,” Brugler said. “The young left tackle still has room to improve his timing and finishing skills, but his big-man balance, mobility and natural instincts are phenomenal.

“Sewell has a number of traits worth getting excited about on film, including his size, athleticism and mean streak. But I kept coming back to his natural balance as the key attribute that connects all of his strengths as a blocker. In pass protection, Sewell immediately achieves a low, balanced position, which helps him stay on time with his kick slide and reach. He is outstanding on downfield blocks and seeks out contact like a lion hunting his prey.”

Renner said Sewell would’ve been the first tackle taken last year had he been eligible, and that’s with four going in the top 13 picks — Andrew Thomas No. 4 to the Giants, Jedrick Wills No. 10 to the Browns, Mekhi Becton No. 11 to the Jets and Tristan Wirfs No. 13 to the Buccaneers.

“That’s why his opting out isn’t that big of a deal,” Renner said. “He was already good enough that if he could have declared last year, he would have been the first tackle taken. He would have gone over Thomas, over Becton, Wills. Everyone would have taken him first. And I think he could have played this year in the NFL. I think he’s that physically developed already. Taking the year off, you’d obviously rather see a guy play, but you’d also rather he be healthy. So I don’t think it will be that big a deal. I don’t think teams will care whatsoever.”

Sewell arrived on the Oregon campus as a 17-year-old playing for a team with a strong offensive line and ended up beating out Brady Aiello, who spent time on the Browns’ practice squad this season, as the starting left tackle.

“He was the first true freshman to start at left tackle at Oregon in more than 20 years,” said Tyson Alger, who covers the Ducks for The Athletic. “He was legitimately Oregon’s best lineman from the very first game.”

Sewell is one of four brothers to play Division I college football. Gabriel Jr. was the first to sign, playing at Nevada. Nephi followed his older brother to Nevada before transferring to Utah. Penei headed to Oregon and younger brother Noah joined him there this year, starting at linebacker as a true freshman.

“Their whole family is just uber-focused on football, which isn’t terribly unique, but they moved over from Samoa about 10 years ago and all four of their boys play D-I college football,” Alger said. “I think a lot of Penei’s drive, other than just his passion for football, has been to reward his parents for their sacrifice. Their family spent all their money getting the boys into this position, and Penei is the first one that’s going to reap the benefits of the NFL. His dad was a coach in Samoa. They were practicing with the high school team since they were 8 or 9 years old. Their entire lifestyle has been pointing toward this.”

But the sibling storyline goes beyond human interest and actually increases Sewell’s profile, if that’s possible.

“There is something appealing to the fact that his brother is also a physical freak,” Renner said. “It seems like these families have taken over the NFL, the Watts, the Bosas. Bloodlines mean something in the NFL. You notice that when him and his brother are both elite. I think his brother is going to be a top-10, -20 pick at linebacker in a few years.”

As much as people want to believe the Bengals have a better chance of losing their final six games than the Stealers do of winning out to go 16-0, it still seems like a longshot. A win Sunday against the Giants, who are 3-7, isn’t the craziest thought, and it’s conceivable that if it happens, the Bengals could fall all the way from the No. 3 to the No. 9 pick.

Their record and draft spot may change, but their primary need will not. Maybe they address the line in free agency, but the $136 million they dropped last year and the lowered salary cap and lowered revenue due to COVID-19 make that seem unrealistic.

No one in the locker room or on the coaching staff is going to be interested in anything but winning as many of the six games as possible.

But that’s been the focus for the last two years and it’s happened just four times in 26 opportunities and the best player on the team won’t be playing another snap.

If you’re a Bengals fan, Penei Sewell tops your Christmas wish list.

And the waiting will be the hardest part.

Why is Alexander so worried about his height? Says there's doubt that 6-6 is accurate, so he's worried he'll be too tall? Once upon a time that may have been true, but that's close to average these days. Is the concern about height something  else? This guy seems like a no-brainer, but Alexander won't even comment because of his listing at 6-6.  Anyone able to enlighten me?

24 minutes ago, A Rock said:

Why is Alexander so worried about his height? Says there's doubt that 6-6 is accurate, so he's worried he'll be too tall? Once upon a time that may have been true, but that's close to average these days. Is the concern about height something  else? This guy seems like a no-brainer, but Alexander won't even comment because of his listing at 6-6.  Anyone able to enlighten me?

I kind of scratched my head at that comment as well. The tape on this guy seems to speak for itself. Maybe the Ketchup Whisperer didn't want to comment on the guy because the Bengals may pick him, who knows. 

Meanwhile, Zac Shula was able to suck all the way up to the end of last season to secure the #1 pick, I am certain he can do it again this year and hold on to #3. 

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Let me save you some angst:

Katy doesn't give a shit.

That’s not true.  Paying for Joe’s rehab is money out of the Brown’s own pocket.  And they had to sign another QB pushing them farther over the mandatory 95% salary cap minimum.  Again more trust fund money spent. Think man!

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

That’s not true.  Paying for Joe’s rehab is money out of the Brown’s own pocket.  And they had to sign another QB pushing them farther over the mandatory 95% salary cap minimum.  Again more trust fund money spent. Think man!

Maybe you're right but they've been happy enough to blow money on other injured players.   If he comes back stronger it's Hollywood and if not it's an excuse, either way he keeps the fans engaged.  

Am I to believe everyone tried their best but oopsie?  Negligence x nepotism = numpty @ QB   

Sit Burrow even if he's healthy? I believe Joe is way too much of a competitor to sit if he's healthy. In regards to the length of his recovery I say just wait and see. All the timelines you see are averages. I have zero doubt Joe will give everything they want and then some. Maybe it will take a year, but I won't be shocked if #9 starts game one.

This is all well and good but once that big boy from Oregon steps foot on the practice fields in the shadows of the Clay Wade Bailey bridge I foresee some sort of chronic rare foot bone issue that plagues him constantly until an early retirement. I'm sorry but that's just the way it goes around here. 

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

That LG you want to sign may allready be here in Adenijji..

10 hours ago, BengalBryan said:

I sit Burrow out all next season.. let that knee heal..sign a vet QB like Fitzpatrick to a one year deal.. draft Sewell..Sewell at LT, sign a LG, Hopkins at C, Spain at RG, Williams at RT

Unnecessary.  9 months is a typical recovery for this injury.  Two things that impact that are how aggressively you rehab and your strength of mind.  I won't be at all surprised if Burrow is fully ready to go by preseason game 3.

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

Unnecessary.  9 months is a typical recovery for this injury.  Two things that impact that are how aggressively you rehab and your strength of mind.  I won't be at all surprised if Burrow is fully ready to go by preseason game 3.

Reconstruction of his knee..

Nine months seems to be the minimum about of time to heal ..

Hope they don't rush him..

On 11/25/2020 at 3:05 PM, claptonrocks said:

Possibilities of drafting Sewell to protect JB have skyrocketed..

Its ironic how this is turning out..

Maybe, I guess - I mean he'd have to beat out Bobby Hart for the the job. :ninja:

Also, who gives a flying rat fuck about what Paul Alexander thinks? Same guy that said 'not so fast' that we were going to take Burrow... Also also, he has a radio show? Jesus. A podcast I can see, but an actual radio show???

32 minutes ago, Cat said:

Maybe, I guess - I mean he'd have to beat out Bobby Hart for the the job. :ninja:

Also, who gives a flying rat fuck about what Paul Alexander thinks? Same guy that said 'not so fast' that we were going to take Burrow... Also also, he has a radio show? Jesus. A podcast I can see, but an actual radio show???

Fred Johnson was inactive again.  How bad is that, how far he has fallen.

** Saw MOC and his brother, MiniMOC today.  Great to see some of the old gang.

10 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Reconstruction of his knee..

Nine months seems to be the minimum about of time to heal ..

Hope they don't rush him..

On the Tuesday Hear that Podcast Growling (Dehner and Morrison) they had 2 different orthopedic surgeons on.  They said the MCL would have no additional impact on the time over the ACL.  The PCL would be a complicating factor, but I don't think that was damaged.  They sounded pretty optimistic for a 9 month recovery.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

If it were only his ACL I'd agree, but he tore his ACL, MCL, and PCL and had other damage. I suspect 12 months is more likely.

I think you go get a veteran QB either way as both backups we have now suck, so having a vet QB to let Burrow be sure he's 100% and not having to rush back into it is the right move. It may put us behind the 8 ball for 2021, but the long term is what needs to be looked at because this kid is a star and if we can get him back to what he was doing before he got hurt well be better off for it.

Archived