Suck for Sewell

47 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

If it were only his ACL I'd agree, but he tore his ACL, MCL, and PCL and had other damage. I suspect 12 months is more likely.

I think you go get a veteran QB either way as both backups we have now suck, so having a vet QB to let Burrow be sure he's 100% and not having to rush back into it is the right move. It may put us behind the 8 ball for 2021, but the long term is what needs to be looked at because this kid is a star and if we can get him back to what he was doing before he got hurt well be better off for it.

We have a vet, Ryan Finley...we traded up to get him too so let's give him time to develop.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

On the Tuesday Hear that Podcast Growling (Dehner and Morrison) they had 2 different orthopedic surgeons on.  They said the MCL would have no additional impact on the time over the ACL.  The PCL would be a complicating factor, but I don't think that was damaged.  They sounded pretty optimistic for a 9 month recovery.

Good..tks

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

If it were only his ACL I'd agree, but he tore his ACL, MCL, and PCL and had other damage. I suspect 12 months is more likely.

I think you go get a veteran QB either way as both backups we have now suck, so having a vet QB to let Burrow be sure he's 100% and not having to rush back into it is the right move. It may put us behind the 8 ball for 2021, but the long term is what needs to be looked at because this kid is a star and if we can get him back to what he was doing before he got hurt well be better off for it.

I had not heard that he tore his PCL. Link?

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I had not heard that he tore his PCL. Link?

The official word was torn ACL and MCL, "damage" to PCL and meniscus.

Meniscus is the worst of it from everything I've read over the years, you can't exactly "fix" that.  Eventually it will come down to pain tolerance (for both rehab and ongoing usage of the knee).  On the positive side of that was the article someone posted recently where Uzomah was relating how Nick Cosgrove was amazed at Joe's pain tolerance already, so I guess that bodes well for his rehab.  Again from what I've read a lot of guys have slow recoveries because they can't mentally force themselves to do the physically painful parts of the rehab with any consistent effort.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I had heard on some video somewhere dont remember specifically, but as HPP said damage to PCL (not a tear) as well...

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/joe-burrow-knee-injury-mri

That is factually incorrect. Per every bit of reporting over the last week including Dehner it is an ACL/MCL - the most common combo. It is not PCL or LCL involved.

I've recently tore my meniscus a couple months ago playing soccer.  The first couple of weeks, there was pain in my knee from it but that pain went away and by the time I saw the surgeon, there was no pain.  He was showing me the tear from the MRI and said that it would require surgery until I told him that my knee was pain free.  So instead of surgery, I went to physical therapy for a few weeks where we worked on strengthening the ligaments around my knee and now I'm back to running (still haven't played a game yet) and still no pain in my knee.

The way he explained it to me as I thought that my meniscus may have healed over time is that there are 2 different tears.  If the tear happens where there is blood in the knee, it can heal over time but mine was in the part of the knee where there wasn't any blood and that the surgery was to clip the part of the meniscus that was "hanging out" to keep it from flopping around which would cause the pain. 

The certainty of me having to have surgery on my knee is almost 100% but for now as long as I am not feeling pain, I don't need it and am able to do the things I did before. 

Just for perspective, I am 45 years old and starting soccer back in February after a 20 year hiatus and tore it by planting my foot in the turf while my knee kept going until it popped.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

That is factually incorrect. Per every bit of reporting over the last week including Dehner it is an ACL/MCL - the most common combo. It is not PCL or LCL involved.

Here's the reporting that mentions PCL and meniscus damage.  The one linked above also says that, but has a typo where they meant torn ACL and MCL but put PCL twice.  This one has it "right":

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-encouraged-by-joe-burrow-mri

5 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Here's the reporting that mentions PCL and meniscus damage.  The one linked above also says that, but has a typo where they meant torn ACL and MCL but put PCL twice.  This one has it "right":

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-encouraged-by-joe-burrow-mri

NO, it does NOT have it right. You keep putting up a piece from Rapien's outfit that is one week old and been discredited by everyone since. But, hey, you do you. He did NOT tear his PCL. Period. That is incorrectly reported. Listen to Dehner's pod, any article from the guys who cover the team, OR any of the doctors they've talked to. Nothing about Burrow's situation is horriffic or catestrophic or "out of the norm". He has as good a chance to be back by September as Palmer did 15 years ago. There is no need to blow this up into something worse than it is, which is an ACL/MCL tear. 

here's the definitive Dehner piece on it - there is NO PCL tear. 

https://theathletic.com/2219407/2020/11/24/assessing-cincinnati-bengals-joe-burrows-timeline-through-eyes-of-doctors-and-history/

Just now, membengal said:

NO, it does NOT have it right. You keep putting up a piece from Rapien's outfit that is one week old and been discredited by everyone since. But, hey, you do you.

Wow calm down dude, I'm talking about the fact that they don't have a typo in the second article, not that they got the facts right or not - hence why I had "right" in quotes, get it?

And at the same time - look, I want Joe to be ok as much as you do but lashing out and acting like it definitely is not worse than what the majority of Bengals/NFL/sports-related reporters would want us to believe is a bit paranoid.  If you know the doctors who examined him and got their word, great, otherwise none of us knows anything about what is true or not, and probably never will.  We'll just have to wait to see how well Joe recovers regardless of the extent of the damage.

5 minutes ago, membengal said:

People saying it is a torn PCL which would make it the "unholy triad" - that's just factually incorrect. 

So Jaime_B corrected himself and said it wasn't a tear (before you posted), I was the person commenting that it was reported as "damage" and not a tear (before you posted)... and you're going bonkers to try and convince everyone what they've already stated multiple times before you posted.  Got it.

1 hour ago, spidey said:

I've recently tore my meniscus a couple months ago playing soccer.  The first couple of weeks, there was pain in my knee from it but that pain went away and by the time I saw the surgeon, there was no pain.  He was showing me the tear from the MRI and said that it would require surgery until I told him that my knee was pain free.  So instead of surgery, I went to physical therapy for a few weeks where we worked on strengthening the ligaments around my knee and now I'm back to running (still haven't played a game yet) and still no pain in my knee.

The way he explained it to me as I thought that my meniscus may have healed over time is that there are 2 different tears.  If the tear happens where there is blood in the knee, it can heal over time but mine was in the part of the knee where there wasn't any blood and that the surgery was to clip the part of the meniscus that was "hanging out" to keep it from flopping around which would cause the pain. 

The certainty of me having to have surgery on my knee is almost 100% but for now as long as I am not feeling pain, I don't need it and am able to do the things I did before. 

Just for perspective, I am 45 years old and starting soccer back in February after a 20 year hiatus and tore it by planting my foot in the turf while my knee kept going until it popped.

Do you play in the over-40 league that played at Optimist Park in Fairfield this Fall?

50 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Do you play in the over-40 league that played at Optimist Park in Fairfield this Fall?

nope.  I played in the over 35 co-ed league at Soccer City.  I played in the least competitive session and still managed to hurt myself.  2nd game of the session, I pulled my quad and then the session was put on hold because of covid.  2nd game of when they resumed, tore my meniscus.  Maybe I should skip the 2nd game from now on?

1 hour ago, spidey said:

nope.  I played in the over 35 co-ed league at Soccer City.  I played in the least competitive session and still managed to hurt myself.  2nd game of the session, I pulled my quad and then the session was put on hold because of covid.  2nd game of when they resumed, tore my meniscus.  Maybe I should skip the 2nd game from now on?

Or take up pool .😎

6 hours ago, spidey said:

Try FIFA 2020

8 hours ago, membengal said:

NO, it does NOT have it right. You keep putting up a piece from Rapien's outfit that is one week old and been discredited by everyone since. But, hey, you do you. He did NOT tear his PCL. Period. That is incorrectly reported. Listen to Dehner's pod, any article from the guys who cover the team, OR any of the doctors they've talked to. Nothing about Burrow's situation is horriffic or catestrophic or "out of the norm". He has as good a chance to be back by September as Palmer did 15 years ago. There is no need to blow this up into something worse than it is, which is an ACL/MCL tear. 

here's the definitive Dehner piece on it - there is NO PCL tear. 

https://theathletic.com/2219407/2020/11/24/assessing-cincinnati-bengals-joe-burrows-timeline-through-eyes-of-doctors-and-history/

Try D8 or Gelato or whatever...relax bro.

This kid's highlight tapes are impressive.  But I want to see tape on him being bullrushed by NFL caliber talent.  

That's the difference between some of these athletic freaks and 'generational' talents like Munoz.  

Cedric GoByMe had great feat.  And he's still awful.

4 hours ago, mgbrown66 said:

This kid's highlight tapes are impressive.  But I want to see tape on him being bullrushed by NFL caliber talent.  

That's the difference between some of these athletic freaks and 'generational' talents like Munoz.  

I believe (as everyone whos seen the kid) that Sewell may be the best oline prospect in 5 yrs or more..

You want bullrush??

Jonah Williams faced SEC bullrushers and held up well..

Hes play has looked worse lately yes..

He isn't being taught anything outside of set formations here..sad

I cant stress the need for a better oline coach!!

you know it too.

10 hours ago, mgbrown66 said:

What blew my mind with Ced was his reaction time. It seemed so many times he didn’t remember the snap count and the D End got a jump on him. 

As to Sewell, he is no different than Munoz, if you want to see how he does against NFL talent you will need to draft him or wait until September and watch him play. 

18 hours ago, SF2 said:

What blew my mind with Ced was his reaction time. It seemed so many times he didn’t remember the snap count and the D End got a jump on him. 

As to Sewell, he is no different than Munoz, if you want to see how he does against NFL talent you will need to draft him or wait until September and watch him play. 

Ill take my chance and draft him..

Someone will get a good olinemen outta him..

Wht not us?

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I have a feeling he's going #2 right before the Bengals pick at #3

If the Bengals draft #3 they ought to look long and hard about a trade down. Some team looking for a QB may be willing to pay a king's ransom to move up

7 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

If the Bengals draft #3 they ought to look long and hard about a trade down. Some team looking for a QB may be willing to pay a king's ransom to move up

Only if there's a way to still get Sewell. Even if it's just moving from 3 to 4 though it should still bring a pretty nice haul in return. Here's hoping that some team falls in love with Zach Wilson!

Archived