Joe Burrow Injury Thread...

48 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

So we need better players, better coaches AND better scouts - you ask the impossible! How do these elite teams do it? Magic?

They hire really talented and expensive people to do it.  That is actual money out of Mike’s pocket so don’t hold your breath. 

37 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

JFC from the news coverage I would've thought he'd been shot

We're all gutted but maybe take %10-20 off the top there big shoots

Props on the Letterkenny reference.  :)

Not sure I agree on the news coverage though...this kid is just so likeable, such a rare talent, and gave us fans a level of hope we've not seen in seemingly forever.  Hopefully he'll be back soon and stronger than ever but you never know (re: Alex Smith or worse, Greg Cook, etc).

I do agree that the local Cincy news I just watched was a bit heavy, but honestly I was disappointed that there was only a brief mention from what I saw on SNF.

8 hours ago, TeeBengal said:

This franchise will never change unless the Brown family sells the team.  

Oline has been a shit show for years.   Its not a big surprise that Burrow got hurt.   Stupid fucking morons running this franchise.   

this take is going to get old super quick...

yet the  same shit happened to palmer with one of the best O-Lines in franchise history.

also if you have a list of killer o-linemen who are free agents, or that teams are looking to get rid of, they were interested in moving to ohio to play... go ahead and post it, ill get it to the front office for you.

becasue great o-line grow on trees, which is why all 31 other teams have really good o-lines, right?

26 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

yet the  same shit happened to palmer with one of the best O-Lines in franchise history.

also if you have a list of killer o-linemen who are free agents, or that teams are looking to get rid of, they were interested in moving to ohio to play... go ahead and post it, ill get it to the front office for you.

becasue great o-line grow on trees, which is why all 31 other teams have really good o-lines, right?

If only there was some option between 5 Hall of Famers and the shitshow we're fielding now

Having a QB with the "it" factor is so intoxicating.  Hasn't been one in Cincinnati since Boomer.  Palmer could make all the plays, but he didn't have "it."  A guy so full of ability and confidence that it rubs off on the rest of the team.  They are rare.  Everyone knows Burrow has it.  His players, the other team's players, etc.  He reminds me of another Joe that stuck a few daggers in the hearts of Bengals fans a long time ago.  A guy like Dalton has the opposite of "it."  Other players, his teammates, and even he knows he isn't going to get it done at crunch time.  It's all so sad for a team and a town hungry for that kind of player to lose him.  Hopefully he will be back next season and with some better players in front of him. 

As to those players in front of him....I agree that you just can't build an offensive line in a year from FAs.  Linemen are too valuable.  They get paid and kept.  Except in Cincinnati.  Mike Brown doesn't value guards and doesn't pay them.  I assume that's how his father felt.  Well, that stupid thought process just cost you your "it" player that dropped in your lap.  What makes it hard for the Bengals to succeed is that Mike Brown won't change no matter the evidence.  They will go back to the draft with the smallest personnel department in the NFL and the results will continue to be what they have been.  You can't whiff on 3 of your last 4 1st/2nd round offensive linemen and live to tell about it.  You're going to suck, and the Bengals o-line does suck.  You hand on to hope that Joe Burrow can rise above it, but man...it's hard to feel that way right now.

Basically fuck Marty Brennaman that old fucking goat. Has he had any thought on the Bengals until now? 

Can Marty even maintain an erection for his wife who is 1/3 his age? I might have to drive down to Anderson Township and bang her right in front of him. 

7 hours ago, GoBengals said:

Well jack conklin an above average RT just signed with browns last offseason. Last I checked Cleveland is in Ohio 

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

The difference here is that it was predictable, and likely preventable.  

I sat here debating on how to argue this quote.  I can't.  Everything adds up to a solid statement.

Predictable and preventable:

1.  Long standing history of bad lines.  Not always but enough in recent memory.  

2.  Team injury history of 1st rounders.

3.  Enough pass plays will result in holding onto ball long enough to get hit.

4.  Not addressing the line in the draft/free agency.  OR  placing false praise on mediocre players are critical positions.  OR coaching of the line.  OR player personnel decisions.  OR marginal coaching hires.

5.  Luck.  Teams are capable of making their own luck.  Kind of like going for it on 4th down or trick plays with high percentages.  However, because we kept pushing the envelope too many times, our luck ran out.  In other words, too many pass plays, too many personnel/coaching errors hoping to have them overlooked, etc...

Lastly, our fans have a tendency to be waiting for the other shoe to drop.  We have been conditioned since this team was founded to expect the worst.  In this regard, we are always predictable but until player personnel and management changes, our future is not preventable.

42 minutes ago, saphead said:

Basically fuck Marty Brennaman that old fucking goat. Has he had any thought on the Bengals until now? 

Can Marty even maintain an erection for his wife who is 1/3 his age? I might have to drive down to Anderson Township and bang her right in front of him. 

thanks.....that's the first time I've laughed since this happened

The thing that bothers me about this is that they have been trying to fix this issue for a few years, they've just had a run of really bad draft picks to do it. 

That speaks to their refusal to beef up the front office to do a better job of finding these players. 

It's systemic. 

1 hour ago, Numbers said:

I sat here debating on how to argue this quote.  I can't.  Everything adds up to a solid statement.

Predictable and preventable:

1.  Long standing history of bad lines.  Not always but enough in recent memory.  

2.  Team injury history of 1st rounders.

3.  Enough pass plays will result in holding onto ball long enough to get hit.

4.  Not addressing the line in the draft/free agency.  OR  placing false praise on mediocre players are critical positions.  OR coaching of the line.  OR player personnel decisions.  OR marginal coaching hires.

5.  Luck.  Teams are capable of making their own luck.  Kind of like going for it on 4th down or trick plays with high percentages.  However, because we kept pushing the envelope too many times, our luck ran out.  In other words, too many pass plays, too many personnel/coaching errors hoping to have them overlooked, etc...

Lastly, our fans have a tendency to be waiting for the other shoe to drop.  We have been conditioned since this team was founded to expect the worst.  In this regard, we are always predictable but until player personnel and management changes, our future is not preventable.

This game is about manipulating and playing the percentages. You have a star QB then you REDUCE the percentage chance he is injured by having a better OL, by smart pay calling, etc. Yes, injuries happen but JB was taken hits so the chance of him getting injured was higher than it needed to be.

Percentages is why all other teams have more scouts, it increases the chances of picking better players. 

Percentages is why teams try and hire better coaches, it increases the chances of players developing and winning. 

I don't know these inbreds can sleep at night knowing they fucked this young star over. 

Zac Shula's press conference was comical post game. He is clueless but he will be welcomed back with open arms in 2021.

2 hours ago, saphead said:

A picture or it didn't happen.

:ninja:

Unfortunately its the 90s all over again.  

Zac Taylor plays David Shula.

Joe Burrow plays David Klingler (Ok so im wrong on this one but just play along.)

Joe Mixon plays KiJana Carter (wrong again but play along) 

And an offensive line that was horrendous.   David Klingler got his ass kicked.  Even got his jaw broke on year.  

Hopefully its not that bad but results are similar.   

I sure hope Burrow can recover but watching the replay made me want to vomit.   Dammit....

That SI article mentioned he was on pace to get hit more than any rookie QB in the last 20 years.

Again, there's no excuse for it.  There's not a single player on this OL that I can confidently say would start on a different team.  Yes, that includes Jonah.  Take away that first round draft pick and he looks just as bad as the rest of them.

On 11/23/2020 at 9:04 AM, Jamie_B said:

The thing that bothers me about this is that they have been trying to fix this issue for a few years, they've just had a run of really bad draft picks to do it. 

That speaks to their refusal to beef up the front office to do a better job of finding these players. 

It's systemic. 

Bad draft picks, bad free agents, bad trades in Cordy Glenn..   Our "Tobin & Sons" scouting department is a joke, but also even less likely to be replaced than Taylor.

Just now, claptonrocks said:

No it isnt..hes played well on this shitshow called an Oline..

He's the only keeper out of the 5.

And Hopkins, I guess. I actually don't mind him. He can't play all 3 spots in the middle at the same time, that's his only downfall. 

21 minutes ago, spicoli said:

That's not even close to being true actually. 

I've not seen anything out of him that looked exceptional.  He seems to get beat as much as anybody from what I can tell.  He's just the best of the bad players on our OL, that doesn't make him good.

If anyone has clips of him doing something remarkable at LT I'd be happy to watch them & reevaluate. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I've not seen anything out of him that looked exceptional.  He seems to get beat as much as anybody from what I can tell.  He's just the best of the bad players on our OL, that doesn't make him good.

If anyone has clips of him doing something remarkable at LT I'd be happy to watch them & reevaluate. 

He is an average quality NFL left tackle who was picked at #11. He has missed  18  of 26 games thus far in his career to include 2 this year. He is fine when he plays I guess. Good enough to start when he is healthy but nothing to write home about. 

Archived