Joe Burrow Injury Thread...

I don't know why everything was so hush, hush but now they're announcing that Burrow had his surgery yesterday and of course they're saying it was successful.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/12/03/bengals-qb-joe-burrow-underwent-successful-left-knee-surgery-wednesday/3813659001/

No mention of anything more than an ACL and an MCL

1 hour ago, Sea Ray said:

I don't know why everything was so hush, hush but now they're announcing that Burrow had his surgery yesterday and of course they're saying it was successful.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/12/03/bengals-qb-joe-burrow-underwent-successful-left-knee-surgery-wednesday/3813659001/

No mention of anything more than an ACL and an MCL

The Athletic said a couple days ago he was heading to California to have the surgery.  The swelling must have gone down. 

There are a shitload of things to worry about with the Bengals.  Whether Joe Burrow will be back from this knee injury is low on the list.   He'll be back.  Probably by the start of the season or not long after.

At least his people are smart enough not to send him to a 78 year old to cut on him.

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

There are a shitload of things to worry about with the Bengals. 

Yeah, like whether they're going to do anything to prevent it from happening again next year.

I mean, you can't just go down to WalMart..   :shrug:

17 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah, like whether they're going to do anything to prevent it from happening again next year.

I mean, you can't just go down to WalMart..   :shrug:

Well the draft Sewell..

Now the line looks decent unless you want to bolster it by going round two as well..

Naw....

Maybe the tall rangy kid at tightend named Kyle Pitts would help JB..

3rd on go defense...

There are a shitload of things to worry about for the Bengals and yeah, the O-line needs help, but this was a freak Bengal-like thing to happen to our QB. We've had some bad O-lines in the past 20 yrs but it never caused a serious injury to our QB during the regular season. Quite frankly our west coast system of quick passes and keep your QB in the pocket  has led to our QBs being quite healthy. 

11 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Well the draft Sewell..

Now the line looks decent 

Er, no. No it doesn't. It looks like they added (1) one rookie prospect who may or may not actually perform, and at best probably not until spending an entire season getting up to NFL speed/strength/size (or whatever you call the Bengals version of same.)

Then, assuming all this works out perfectly (hint: it won't) he's still being coached by Turner, in a pass-happy scheme, surrounded by "talent" that has thus far proven to be at best a tick above average, and with zero depth at any position for when the inevitable injuries happen.

Around this time last year everyone was telling me how Burrow was going to come in and fix everything singlehandedly. Now he's on IR and some of y'all are shoveling the same shit about the next college player in line.

No sale.

Unless we're also choosing a new owner and coaching staff in the later rounds, the draft isn't going to fix this.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Er, no. No it doesn't. It looks like they added (1) one rookie prospect who may or may not actually perform, and at best probably not until spending an entire season getting up to NFL speed/strength/size (or whatever you call the Bengals version of same.)

Then, assuming all this works out perfectly (hint: it won't) he's still being coached by Turner, in a pass-happy scheme, surrounded by "talent" that has thus far proven to be at best a tick above average, and with zero depth at any position for when the inevitable injuries happen.

Around this time last year everyone was telling me how Burrow was going to come in and fix everything singlehandedly. Now he's on IR and some of y'all are shoveling the same shit about the next college player in line.

No sale.

Unless we're also choosing a new owner and coaching staff in the later rounds, the draft isn't going to fix this.

This is true.  Unless they make a change of the line coach I wouldn't expect much difference even if Sewell is the real deal.  The interior of the line will still collapse and neither Hart nor Williams are very good.

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

...Around this time last year everyone was telling me how Burrow was going to come in and fix everything singlehandedly.  

You’re kinda loose with the “everyone” usage.  I seem to recall a vast majority of us clamoring for them to draft offensive linemen.  :shrug: 

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

No sale.

Well with your positivity about the upcoming draft meaning nothing to help the team I guess we should just forget about it and concentrate on bitching bout them..

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

If you’re picking a kid top 3 are you not supposed to count on that guy from the get go? I mean if you’re picking that high you’re obviously a bad team so wouldn’t you want that guy to be able to step in and fill a hole right away? 

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Well with your positivity about the upcoming draft meaning nothing to help the team I guess we should just forget about it and concentrate on bitching bout them..

I didn't say it "means nothing", but this shit where the team sucking ass is some kind of strategy because we get a better draft pick is pure fantasy. Sorry to burst your bubble but Sewell or whoever is not going to fundamentally change the team. You know it as well as I do.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

If you’re picking a kid top 3 are you not supposed to count on that guy from the get go? I mean if you’re picking that high you’re obviously a bad team so wouldn’t you want that guy to be able to step in and fill a hole right away? 

Bad teams count on rookies, sure. That's why they are bad teams.

Sometimes good teams are one key player away from greatness, too. That ain't us.

10 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

All teams use rookies because of the salary cap. And of course teams that draft and coach better than we do get more out of rookies than we do. 

All teams use rookies.  All teams do not expect a single rookies to magically fix everything.

Can we stop arguing points I never made in the first place now?

4 hours ago, Cricket said:

You’re kinda loose with the “everyone” usage.  I seem to recall a vast majority of us clamoring for them to draft offensive linemen.  :shrug: 

I seem to recall maybe one or two people saying that besides me, at most.  Go dig the thread up again if you want but it was far from a "vast majority", or any other kind of majority.

Numerous people were legit trying to argue that Burrow wouldn't need an OL because he's just so awesome.   Surgically repaired knee says otherwise.

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I seem to recall maybe one or two people saying that besides me, at most.  Go dig the thread up again if you want but it was far from a "vast majority", or any other kind of majority.

Numerous people were legit trying to argue that Burrow wouldn't need an OL because he's just so awesome.   Surgically repaired knee says otherwise.

Your wrong Dub..

I would say 90% of us Knew he had to have protection..

I wanted the mannish boy in round 2 but he was taken late 1...

To add Sewell to this line will Help alot..

Protect JB no?...

2 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Your wrong Dub..

I would say 90% of us Knew he had to have protection..

Eh, no.  I really can't be assed to go dig up a thread from a year ago but I can guarantee you that's not what was said at the time.

Maybe 90% of us now think differently in hindsight.

18 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I figured with my old age (senility?), perhaps I was the one not remembering things as they were.  But in this case, it is you with the memory problem.

From the "Building the 2020 Bengals" thread started January 14th with some pre-draft discussion:

Jamie: "[Draft] Burrow, [then] BPA between LB and RT in 2."

Jet23: "...draft Burrow, LB, OL, OL"

mhfinks: " Add OL help in FA...Draft a LB, WR, or RT BPA in the draft.  Joe won't do anything without a line."

High School Harry: Rd2 > best slider OL or WR

Sparky151: "upgrades at RG & RT"

Grem22: "I would have absolutely no problem with the Bengals spending the majority of their high end picks on the offensive line...we've really gotta protect this kid straight out of the gate."

gupps: "Burrow/OL/OL/LB or Burrow/OL/LB/OL would suit me just fine."

I.C.Deadpeople: "...have to protect the QB"

akiliMVP: "Obviously RT is a monster need.  Joe Burrow will be a Bengal, protecting him is an absolute must."

From the "The Official 2020 Second and Third Round Draft Thread!!!" thread [After Tee Higgins was picked in round 2]

soundstreamer: "Well I hope Burrow doesn't get murdered trying to throw to Higgins...Sure hope a good OT is there in the 3rd"

gupps: "...assuming Burrow survives..."

KriZENry:  "Personally I wanted an OL or LB"

There were many others alluding to the need for OL help

From the "Your grade for the 2020 Bengals Draft" thread:

Jason: "I wish they had done more to improve the O-line."

Cricket: "Like others, I was hoping to see them address the offensive line sooner (with a better player).  For years, "we" (go-bengals "we") have recognized the offensive line as a weakness...and like most of "us", I don't understand how the coaching staff can't see it."

Inigo Montoya: "...but I wish we had done more to help the O-line."

From the "Day 3 Draft Thread" thread:

HavePityPlease (after 3rd-round pick): "...now get the OL depth"

Spicoli (after 3rd-round pick): "Fill up on OL depth from here on out"

So, you can continue to argue that only you and "maybe one or two people, at most" recognized our weakness with the offensive line before this season started, but that reality exists only in your head. 

:liberalmedia:

PatternMaster (re: LSU having a better OL than the Bengals & that being a problem for JB)

"Burrow was sacked a ton and had to scramble often."

"There's plenty of things a team can do to cut down on the sacks allowed, having a mobile QB that has a great pocket presence is a start. "  (Burrow would go on to become the most sacked rookie QB in NFL history)

bfine: 

"JB is a case of a QB making an Oline look better than it really was. Some around here think that is not possible."

"Joe Burrow loves for defenses to bring pressure against 5 man protection. He loves this because he prides himself on the presnap read and knowing where the pressure the opponent is bringing will create a lapse in coverage. He then manipulates the pocket to negate the pressure and take advantage of the coverage."

Arguably the best interior olineman in the history of the NFL (Bruce Matthews) once said:

An oline makes a RB better. A QB makes an Oline better.

membengal

twitter links to PFF grading him the "best QB outside the pocket" and "most pressured QB in the SEC"

jackie treehorn

I think Burrow could not only survive, but thrive with even a modestly improved O-Line instead of a totally revamped one.

UncleEarl

A QB that reads defenses faster certainly helps an OL.  A QB who is mobile and can throw on the run certainly helps an OL.  A QB that locks in on a receiver, holds the ball too long, and is inaccurrate on the run makes an OL look bad.  Not really that hard to understand.

Plenty of other examples in the still-active "Fixing the OL" thread. Pretty sure there was a "Blow for Joe" type thread around this time last year too, whenj we were trying to convince ourselves that losing is a strategy..  But this is tiresome, so let's just say it never happened because I've lost interest.

Congrats, you win a Joe Burrow is on IR.

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

UncleEarl

A QB that reads defenses faster certainly helps an OL.  A QB who is mobile and can throw on the run certainly helps an OL.  A QB that locks in on a receiver, holds the ball too long, and is inaccurrate on the run makes an OL look bad.  Not really that hard to understand.

Plenty of other examples in the still-active "Fixing the OL" thread. Pretty sure there was a "Blow for Joe" type thread around this time last year too, whenj we were trying to convince ourselves that losing is a strategy..  But this is tiresome, so let's just say it never happened because I've lost interest.

Congrats, you win a Joe Burrow is on IR.

Yep.  Everything I said there is true.  Why do you think  Ryan Finely got destroyed when he replaced Burrow?  He makes slow decisions and is not mobile. 

The real issue is how in the hell does that show that I thought the Bengals didn't need O-line help?  What a f'ing red herring.  I certainly recognized the Bengals needed OL help.  Everyone did.  Who on this board thought Bobby Hart was acceptable at RT?  Not a damn soul. 

You are quickly approaching troll status with this bullshit.

Archived