Players you have forgotten were once Bengals...

The OSU game is on and the interim coach for the game is Larry Johnson.  I always figured he was the father of former RB Larry Johnson, but I looked up wikipedia to make sure.  And of course I remember that Johnson Jr was run into the ground by the Chiefs.  But forgot that he made his way eventually to Cincinnati...

In November 2009, Johnson signed with the Cincinnati Bengals for the prorated league minimum pay. Johnson served as backup to starting running back Cedric Benson. In the Bengals week 12 win over the Browns, Johnson rushed for 107 yards, his only 100-yard game of the season.

11 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I had a moment last week when I was alike "Terrell Owens was a Bengal once. Hunh. Weird." 

I think he played with a guy named “Ochocinco” right about the same time Chad Johnson was on our team. I could be wrong. 

14 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I had a moment last week when I was alike "Terrell Owens was a Bengal once. Hunh. Weird." 

Am I correct that Anthony Munoz is the only HOF player who can say he was primarily a Bengal?  Unlike baseball, football players do not enter the HOF as members of any particular team.  Who are HOF-ers who played for Cincinnati at some point in their career (not counting coaches - Paul Brown, Forrest Gregg, Dick Lebeau)

Charlie Joiner

Terrell Owens

Any others?

Certainly not a totally unknown name for old timers (although one may recall his name as ML Harris:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/rev-dr-michael-harris-cdka-90215b18

Have had the pleasure of knowing Michael and his wonderful family for a number of years.

He was a classmate of my wife at old North HS. Over the years, she has kept in contact. She, not being a sports person, always just knew him as “Mike”. I told her it wasn’t often where she could say she was friends with a former NFL TE, who caught a TD pass from Ken Anderson in a legendary AFC Championship Game. She rightfully said “that’s nice...but his work with the Church and the community is more important”. My always wise bride. 

On 12/6/2020 at 12:27 PM, tibor75 said:

Am I correct that Anthony Munoz is the only HOF player who can say he was primarily a Bengal?  Unlike baseball, football players do not enter the HOF as members of any particular team.  Who are HOF-ers who played for Cincinnati at some point in their career (not counting coaches - Paul Brown, Forrest Gregg, Dick Lebeau)

Charlie Joiner

Terrell Owens

Any others?

james harrison perhaps?

aj hawk perhaps.. probably not..?

whitworth for damn sure

16 hours ago, Numbers said:

He actually played the piano during the Bengal's Super Bowl festivities.  Can't remember if he sang.

Helen Keller sang "Silent Night".

She couldn't play the piano and sing at the same time so Mike tickled the ivories.

Yeah, I know... but its that kind of day.

30 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I remember trading Bergey got us Ross Browner and Eddie Edwards (or was it Wilson Whitley).

He was traded from the Bengals to the Philadelphia Eagles for a 1977 first-round selection (8th overall–Wilson Whitley) and first- and second-round picks in 1978 (8th and 35th overall–Ross Browner and Ray Griffin respectively) on July 10, 1974

Bergey was the best LB we ever had IMO. Much like Coy Bacon was the best pass rusher. But like many of the great players we had, they were traded when they asked for more moola. 

40 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

He was traded from the Bengals to the Philadelphia Eagles for a 1977 first-round selection (8th overall–Wilson Whitley) and first- and second-round picks in 1978 (8th and 35th overall–Ross Browner and Ray Griffin respectively) on July 10, 1974

Bergey was the best LB we ever had IMO. Much like Coy Bacon was the best pass rusher. But like many of the great players we had, they were traded when they asked for more moola. 

Hadn’t Berger left for the WFL, so he had already left the Bengals.  Pretty serious haul.  

Archived