Geno Atkins

If they cut Geno, they have to accelerate his signing bonus to 2021 but would save his 12.2 mil cash costs. They would also save his 2022 13.45 mil cash costs. So imo they will happily eat the 4.8 mil "dead money" cost and save the cash. It will gain them 9.6 mil in 2021 cap space and 16.05 mil in 2022 cap space, assuming they do it before June 1. 

Bengals are currently 44 mil under the cap. Cutting Geno would make it about 54. Cutting Hart and Uzomah would make it 65. Other candidates would be Vonn Bell to gain 3.5 mil, BJ Finney to gain 3.5 mil, XSF to gain 2.56, and Gio to gain 4.1.  In a bloodbath scenario, the team could pretty easily be 80 mil under the expected 175 mil cap.

Dunlap, Green, Ross, WJ3, Lawson aren't currently on the cap for 2021.

11 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If they cut Geno, they have to accelerate his signing bonus to 2021 but would save his 12.2 mil cash costs. They would also save his 2022 13.45 mil cash costs. So imo they will happily eat the 4.8 mil "dead money" cost and save the cash. It will gain them 9.6 mil in 2021 cap space and 16.05 mil in 2022 cap space, assuming they do it before June 1. 

Bengals are currently 44 mil under the cap. Cutting Geno would make it about 54. Cutting Hart and Uzomah would make it 65. Other candidates would be Vonn Bell to gain 3.5 mil, BJ Finney to gain 3.5 mil, XSF to gain 2.56, and Gio to gain 4.1.  In a bloodbath scenario, the team could pretty easily be 80 mil under the expected 175 mil cap.

Good info...

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Would love to see it but unfortunately I don't think they're willing to replace Hart, Uzomah, & XSF in one offseason.  They'd have to admit that both Hart and Sample aren't working and that's just too much to ask.

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Would love to see it but unfortunately I don't think they're willing to replace Hart, Uzomah, & XSF in one offseason.  They'd have to admit that both Hart and Sample aren't working and that's just too much to ask.

I think Sample is working fine, the problem is he has to stay and help block on almost every play.  

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

I think Sample is working fine, the problem is he has to stay and help block on almost every play.  

Exactly right. He’s basically an extra lineman at this point. They can’t afford to have him out running routes. 

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

My default assumption is that Bengals draft Sewell 3rd overall. That makes Hart surplus to requirements. Even Mike Brown will see it makes no sense to pay a backup tackle 6 mil when Adeniji can do the job much cheaper. With Uzomah, he was overpaid the minute he signed his new deal. He likely won't be full speed at the beginning of training camp. I think the team cuts him but brings him back on a vet min deal unless he finds a job elsewhere. He's a great human being and decent backup option. But he wasn't NFL starting quality prior to injury and isn't worth 5 mil in his current condition. So carrying him for a year at vet min to see how much he recovers makes sense. That would mean we still need a starting caliber TE. If Sample steps up, great. 

It's hard to see Finney returning if he hasn't hit the field yet. He was a throw-in as part of the Dunlap trade probably for cap relief in Seattle. The Bengals haven't touted him as a fix at any position so his future here isn't very bright. I think 2 of XSF, Spain, and Jordan will be back. Spain is a pending free agent but didn't have many options when cut by Buffalo. Maybe his agent has had time to find a spot for him elsewhere but he's played better than our other guards so imo he's likely to be re-signed by the team. Jordan is cheap and theoretically has upside. That's not worth getting Burrow killed imo but the team (or at least Turner) likes him. A new coaching staff would probably keep him around through camp next year. Taylor may or may not be back but could use Jordan as a fall guy if needed. 

11 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

That is why he was drafted in the 5th round - a blocking TE. 

Sample has 36 catches on 47 targets.

77% which is a  above norm for the league..

He Has to block due to the ineffectiveness of the rest if the oline..

Hes done a good job so far..

24 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Definitely the least of our problems.  

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

He is a backup on any respectable team but we will indeed sign him as if he is a top tier player...it is what we do

28 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

He is a backup on any respectable team but we will indeed sign him as if he is a top tier player...it is what we do

Hes in his 2nd year..

Why the hurry to sign him?

He's played alot of snaps this year and hes done well..

Show me All of these 2nd yr tight ends that have great stats this year .

Archived