Miami Hairy Blowholes Game Day Thread

Just now, PatternMaster said:

We need talent, trying hard is cool and all but if you're not talented then it doesn't matter.  

We need guys who can pass rush, athletically gifted guys who can get to the QB....

Right now we have no pass rush.  

Like I said, he makes plays.  First you said he's average and now you're saying he's not talented?  He's not even "Bengals Era" Justin Smith who went hard and made a whole heap of tackles 8-9 yards downfield, he actually makes real behind-the-LOS plays.  He doesn't have much help and he makes plays because of effort and yes, above-average talent.  If we had a team of guys like that, you have a functioning football unit that will be successful.  Again, to have a successful pass rush you need more than one physical freak, you need pass coverage and you need other decent players on the line.  Look at what happened with Justin Smith when he went to a team with other good players who were used properly.

2 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Like I said, he makes plays.  First you said he's average and now you're saying he's not talented?  He's not even "Bengals Era" Justin Smith who went hard and made a whole heap of tackles 8-9 yards downfield, he actually makes real behind-the-LOS plays.  He doesn't have much help and he makes plays because of effort and yes, above-average talent.  If we had a team of guys like that, you have a functioning football unit that will be successful.  Again, to have a successful pass rush you need more than one physical freak, you need pass coverage and you need other decent players on the line.  Look at what happened with Justin Smith when he went to a team with other good players who were used properly.

Does he play his gap? I mean, making tackles downfield or backfield is all good, but does he do his job, or does he freelance?  Is he having 1 bad play for every 2 good plays? Are you rewarding guys for their individual effort/stats or for how they fit into the team concept?

14 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

I never said he wasn't talented,  he's just not talented enough to build your defense around....relax big guy

I like Hubbard but he's an average player, no knock on him. 

Just now, PatternMaster said:

I never said he wasn't talented,  he's just not talented enough to build your defense around....relax big guy

I like Hubbard but he's an average player, no knock on him. 

Well that's the point, I think we have different ideas of what "build around" means.  From the perspective of a coach of a football team you build around leaders who do things the right way and have success because of it.  If you're a fan or the media you build hype around superstars.  I tend to think in terms of the former.

Archived