If Not Sewell, Who?

A classic and traditional Bengals move is to screw something up at the last minute.

Right now, we draft third and Sewell looks like a lock barring a crazy town trade offer.

But with four games to go... what happens if the blind squirrel Bengals find a nut and win one.

That would probably drop us out of the third pick slot.

Right now...

Chargers are 3-9, play 4 win Atlanta Sunday

Eagles are 3-8-1, play New Orleans Sunday... probable loss

Dallas is 3-8, plays Baltimore Thursday Tuesday and us on a short week Sunday. 

Weather here is looking pretty rotten... temps hovering around freezing and all sorts of

ugly stuff falling from the sky, ice cold rain, snow, freezing rain...  Two cold games for them

in a short week... they could be had.

If we win and lose out on drafting Sewell... who?

Or trade down, how low and what do we get in return?

Whattyathink, Vern :39:

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

Greg Rousseau, Edge, Miami, Patrick Surtain, CB Bama, or JaMarr Chase, WR, LSU. 

I was going to suggest Rousseau as well. 

This team has 2 problems, protecting and getting to the QB. 

Which means you have to ask, is Jonah Williams your left tackle of the future or do you move him to the right side and draft Sewell? 

Or do you take Rousseau and draft a right tackle in the 2nd? Left tackles are a premium, but you can usually get top end right tackles as early as we will be drafting in the 2nd.

I think I take Rousseau and a right tackle. 

4 minutes ago, Cricket said:

If we don’t replace the OL coach, it won’t matter who we pick for the O-line.

Exactly. I was going to say it depends on the new coaching staff. Frankly even if they keep Zac Shula it may not matter who we draft. 

The other important consideration for this particular offseason is the drop in the salary cap - there will likely be a lot of good free agents available for Bengal-like bargain prices. 

Having said that, if Sewell is there when we pick and we do not take him, well that would be even more pathetic than we can imagine. OL are hard to come by.

7 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

What is Jonah Williams's status? He was carted off, was anything torn or will he be back in a couple of weeks after just a sprain.

“Taylor had no update on left tackle Jonah Williams’ knee injury. It’s believed, at least initially, that he didn’t tear a ligament. But even a sprain might end his season.”  - Geoff Hobson

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I was going to suggest Rousseau as well. 

This team has 2 problems, protecting and getting to the QB. 

Which means you have to ask, is Jonah Williams your left tackle of the future or do you move him to the right side and draft Sewell? 

Or do you take Rousseau and draft a right tackle in the 2nd? Left tackles are a premium, but you can usually get top end right tackles as early as we will be drafting in the 2nd.

I think I take Rousseau and a right tackle. 

No, you take the no-brainer pick that Sewell is, especially when there are a ton more questions about what Rousseau represents as far as a bust/boom type.

15 minutes ago, bengaled said:

No, you take the no-brainer pick that Sewell is, especially when there are a ton more questions about what Rousseau represents as far as a bust/boom type.

Yeah.

But I am saying if we lose the number three pick and can't get Sewell,

I think there is a good chance we beat Dallas Sunday.

They play Thursday night in Baltimore and then come here Sunday in rotten weather.

Prob get beaten up in Balty that is now fighting for a playoff spot and Baltimore in December 

is not a garden spot and then come here.

This is definitely the softest game on our remaining schedule and if we win, we can drop a couplafew

slots in the draft.

30 minutes ago, Jason said:

For me Chase would be if they trade down, Sewell is gone, and he is clearly BPA. 

Honestly I'm kind of hoping we work out way into the top 2 so we can trade down but only a few spots, and still somehow get Sewell or Rousseau or another top DE, and pick up an extra pick.

42 minutes ago, bengaled said:

I could understand that seeing as Rousseau opted out this year.

1 hour ago, bengaled said:

I mean that's great if Sewell is still sitting there when you pick....what if he's not though?

For me I'm going with the shut-down corner.

I don't really trust any of the DE candidates that high in this draft.

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

I mean that's great if Sewell is still sitting there when you pick....what if he's not though?

For me I'm going with the shut-down corner.

I don't really trust any of the DE candidates that high in this draft.

How long can "lockdown corner" stay with his man to be referred to as that?

With no upfront pressure its a no win for them..

Pressure would seem more important next year..

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

How long can "lockdown corner" stay with his man to be referred to as that?

With no upfront pressure its a no win for them..

Pressure would seem more important next year..

I mean it's crucial to have both actually. 

You can't blitz if you don't trust your corners and you can't play man to man if you don't trust your pass rush. 

That's why they both get paid the big bucks. 

I'd argue they need another DT as much as anything. If they had any pressure up the middle whatsoever, Carl Lawson would be right up there with TJ Watt in sacks, even on this sad sack team. They need to lock up him and Bates for real. Those are guys you can build around. 

On 12/9/2020 at 8:18 AM, Numbers said:

Trade down to a team in need of a top flight OT and pick up additional picks to supplement the gaping wounds on the Offensive line and elsewhere.  An ideal trade would be to Dolphins and grab the 9th and 22nd.  Otherwise it looks likely it will be Sewell.

Aren't the Bengals that team?

Archived