If Not Sewell, Who?

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Everyone knew he was a POS after he got run out of Miami.  They knew what they were getting and went ahead with him for whatever reason (likely because he came cheap & nobody worth a damn wanted the job.)

I 100% do believe that, this organization is built on nepotism and the yes-men that prop them up.  The FO is entirely clueless and will only hire a HC willing to accept their bullshit.

So negative you are..

Why not follow a better team if you hate this org so much?

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

So negative you are..

Why not follow a better team if you hate this org so much?

What did I say that's not true?  Don't shoot the messenger.

Why not just ignore me if you don't want to be disturbed in Fantasyland? I don't "hate the team" but it's painfully obvious that the people running it are either inept or just don't care (or both.)  It's not hard to look at how they operate & how the team is coached and predict more of the same.

Like I said, maybe losing Burrow got through to them somehow, but it's hardly the first time they've shot themselves in the foot.  The line from ZT & Baghdad Hobs sure hasn't sounded like there's been much introspection going on.

12 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I know great players don't automatically make great coaches

but the former Bengal  I would love to see be our O Line

coach is Max Montoya even over Munoz.  He lives right over

the river, too, close to PBS.

Max was (in)famous for being the best holder in the NFL and getting away with it.

He also invented spraying the black jerseys with Pam, the non stick skillet spray

so D linemen's hands would slip off.

Willie Anderson anyone?

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

What did I say that's not true?  Don't shoot the messenger.

you and a few others have been saying the exact same thing with pretty much every post for the last 15 years.....when do you suppose the Brown family is finally going to wise up and start listening to you guys? 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:59 AM, Sea Ray said:

How do you figure we control Fields at #3? What's to keep Jacksonville from grabbing him at #2?

Nothing. Then we just take Sewell not to take him would be even dumber than the Bengals are capable of being. Best position player in the draft at our biggest position of need. No brainer. This is the most likely scenario per most tight now. If either the Jets or Jags take Sewell it will likely that either Fields or Lawrence will be there at #3, likely Fields whose destiny we will control.

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

you and a few others have been saying the exact same thing with pretty much every post for the last 15 years.....when do you suppose the Brown family is finally going to wise up and start listening to you guys? 

IDK, maybe when people like yourself stop defending them?

25 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Lol ok 😆

LOL yeah..  What amuses me is that everyone else on here says the same shit but then there are a few people that get this wild hair up their ass every so often and feel the need to go all white knight & complain about it when others do it.

Whenever this happens I find myself asking them what I said that wasn't objectively true and they hem and haw for a bit and then go off on some whiney little tangent trying to make it about me.

This franchise is a dumpster fire right now.  You know it, I know it..  Maybe instead of getting mad at me for saying so you could try getting mad at them instead.  

I guess we're somehow supposed to talk about the team without mentioning the owners, coaches, or roster? Golly, PBS sure does have great ventilation!

They’re a horrible franchise. They’re always going to be a horrible franchise other than a few anomalous seasons, we all know this to be true. Parroting in every post the fact that ownership is horrible, scouting staff is horrible, front office is horrible, etc, is never going going to make any of it less horrible. They are who they are and we all know it. A few good seasons and a few good players every now and again is pretty much all we can hope for, depressing as that is. 

35 minutes ago, spicoli said:

They’re a horrible franchise. They’re always going to be a horrible franchise

And I'm too negative? Shit, I don't believe that.  It may not change any time soon but things always change.  At one time the Pats were considered one of the biggest jokes in the NFL.  For a few years there we were consistently making the playoffs, or at least playing meaningful games this time of year.  Without ownership undermining Marvin at every turn until he was a shell of himself, who knows?  Both those '05 and '15 teams were very, very close.

All that being said, they seem to be digging themselves into a deeper and deeper hole while trying to bullshit their way into being good again.  They seem to recognize the need to change the team at a fundamental cultural level but clearly don't want to do the individual hard work of holding themselves accountable.  They equate inheriting a business with inheriting the skills necessary to run it. 

I think eventually the losing, or at least all the lost revenue and bad local press that comes with it, will wear them down.  Ol' Musty might bathe in fan's tears to prevent aging but I think KatieTroy will either want to succeed or remove themselves from the day-to-day to go breed show cats or whatever once Dad's expectations are no longer a factor.  

So yeah, it's a bummer that I think we're stuck with Taylor another year because I'm convinced he's taking us nowhere, but after that who knows?

The only thing I can say about Taylor is that he and Burrow seemed to click pretty well. Whether or not that’s enough to save him I have no idea. As much as I hate the thought of Burrow changing offensive systems every couple of years I’d prefer they fired all of them, Duke Tobin included. They need to get embarrassed tomorrow night I know that though. That might put an end to the experiment...but we’ll see. 

14 minutes ago, spicoli said:

The only thing I can say about Taylor is that he and Burrow seemed to click pretty well. Whether or not that’s enough to save him I have no idea. As much as I hate the thought of Burrow changing offensive systems every couple of years I’d prefer they fired all of them, Duke Tobin included. They need to get embarrassed tomorrow night I know that though. That might put an end to the experiment...but we’ll see. 

I can't deny Marvin's time as a HC had run its course but I think he was the only dissenting voice in the room that they actually respected.  My impression of the FO and assorted management ( to include Tobin & Tobin) is that it's a big circlejerk of ineptitude where they've all silently agreed to not call the others out on that ineptitude.  It turns into a situation where none of them really respect the others but nobody wants to cause conflict, so they don't speak up.  If I don't point out other's mistakes nobody will point out mine and we can all keep fucking up and still get paid, or think we're a "football family" or whatever delusions we're operating under.   That's a culture.

We saw it in that old HK episode where MB suggested moving someone from punter to linebacker or whatever the fuck and no one in the room had the balls to tell him that was a bad idea.  Moments like that define the team's culture, not slogans painted on the walls of the weight room.   There's an overwhelming attitude of "go along, get along" starting from the top and I'm not sure how they overcome it with the way the NFL subsidizes their shit teams.  The consequences of losing aren't immediate or direct enough to force change on their own.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Marvin just got stale but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t good for the franchise though. Hard to overcome that front office no matter who you are. 

The reality is Marvin was undermined so many times by the front office it just took its toll on him.  

The Chris Henry saga was the beginning.  Marvin did not want him back but Mike Brown let him back on the team anyways.  It ended tragically.  

The Bengals proceeded to sign Matt Jones, Adam Jones,  Ced Benson and Tank Johnson.  Jesus, how many Get Out of Jail Free cards did the Redeemer have in his desk anyways?  Marvin spent just about every press conference discussing the character of the team back them. 

Next up Ocho and the Quitter convince Ole Musty to sign TO to the team against Marvin’s wishes.  That blew up so Palmer quit like a bitch. 

Some good years followed but it became painfully obvious that Dalton wasn’t the answer if the team wanted actual post season success.  The club answered by letting Whit and Zeitler go and drafting John fucking Ross ahead of Mahomes and Watson.  

The fact that Marvin stayed for 16 years is kind of amazing. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

The Bengals proceeded to sign Matt Jones, Adam Jones,  Ced Benson

Man, not for nothin but Ced Benson was an absolute beast when he was here. He was pretty much unstoppable in that playoff game. If he would have had any support whatsoever from his teammates he would’ve been a legend in this town. RIP

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

The reality is Marvin was undermined so many times by the front office it just took its toll on him.  

The Chris Henry saga was the beginning.  Marvin did not want him back but Mike Brown let him back on the team anyways.  It ended tragically.  

The Bengals proceeded to sign Matt Jones, Adam Jones,  Ced Benson and Tank Johnson.  Jesus, how many Get Out of Jail Free cards did the Redeemer have in his desk anyways?  Marvin spent just about every press conference discussing the character of the team back them. 

Next up Ocho and the Quitter convince Ole Musty to sign TO to the team against Marvin’s wishes.  That blew up so Palmer quit like a bitch. 

Some good years followed but it became painfully obvious that Dalton wasn’t the answer if the team wanted actual post season success.  The club answered by letting Whit and Zeitler go and drafting John fucking Ross ahead of Mahomes and Watson.  

The fact that Marvin stayed for 16 years is kind of amazing. 

Not to mention we drafted our fair share of players with issues as well. Many of them talented but with no freaking brains. In the Athletic article recently on ML he said him and Mikey only disagreed on a player once which was kind of funny. ML still wont throw MB under the bus. I am sure they disagreed on a lot and as noted above he got worn down. 

But now without him and Shula in the true skills of the front office are back in focus.

13 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Jags have the tie breaker over the Jets so if both teams lose out Jags now get Lawerence and that may change what the Jets do because they may stick with Darnold and then perhaps draft Sewell. 

Exactly.

The Jags now have the number one pick, not the Jets.

Adds another level to the "If Not Sewell, Who?" speculation.

Jets could take him but their best bet would be trading down with

someone wanting a quarterback other than Trevor.

If the Jets would take him, I would have us trade down for a king's ransom.

Multiple picks in multiple years.

I'd still rather have him.

Marvin still makes a partial vacuum with his mouth but only a mediocre one.

Glad he's gone but wish him and his family well.

Same for Andy and would like to see him make the playoffs as a Cowboinker and win one.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

The Jets will trade out of 2nd spot..

They needs many picks..

If they decide to draft Sewell and bookend him with Mechi Bechton

Sam Darnold may reap big benefits..

Justin Fields better have a big playoff performance or Wilson from BYU could overtake him...

Fuckin Jets...

Archived