If Not Sewell, Who?

56 minutes ago, Jason said:

If Sewell is gone take BPA not at RB or QB. I wouldn’t hate a Chade pick if he’s BPA, OL can be had in 2 or 3. But if Sewell is there take him. 

If Sewell is gone Id go front 7 and draft LB Micah Parsons..

Just a fine overall talent....

Id be disappointed but he'd help bolster the unit..

He and Wilson could be our 2 main backers in the 4-2-5 we use....

Sewell wasn't available so I took it upon myself to make a couple of trades..

19. Cincinnati Bengals Samuel Cosmi OT, Texas

21. Cincinnati Bengals Alijah Vera-Tucker IOL, USC

38. Cincinnati Bengals Pat Freiermuth TE, Penn State

51. Cincinnati Bengals Jaelan Phillips EDGE, Miami

67. Cincinnati Bengals Darius Stills IDL, West Virginia

76. Cincinnati Bengals Christian Barmore IDL, Alabama

82. Cincinnati Bengals Tylan Wallace WR, Oklahoma State

104. Cincinnati Bengals Chuba Hubbard RB, Oklahoma State

143. Cincinnati Bengals Thomas Graham Jr. CB, Oregon

19 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Sewell wasn't available so I took it upon myself to make a couple of trades..

19. Cincinnati Bengals Samuel Cosmi OT, Texas

21. Cincinnati Bengals Alijah Vera-Tucker IOL, USC

38. Cincinnati Bengals Pat Freiermuth TE, Penn State

51. Cincinnati Bengals Jaelan Phillips EDGE, Miami

67. Cincinnati Bengals Darius Stills IDL, West Virginia

76. Cincinnati Bengals Christian Barmore IDL, Alabama

82. Cincinnati Bengals Tylan Wallace WR, Oklahoma State

104. Cincinnati Bengals Chuba Hubbard RB, Oklahoma State

143. Cincinnati Bengals Thomas Graham Jr. CB, Oregon

Decent..

I think taking a WR in the top 5 would be incredibly short-sighted given how many holes this team has and how good Burrow might be.  If your QB is amazing, you don't need stellar WRs.  You just need good WRs, a good TE, and protection and he can find somebody open. If Sewell is taken, either trade down and get more picks or take a front 7 talent. 

A win today pretty much means the Bengals will draft behind Houston (Texans play Titans last week and pretty sure Titans will have something to play for) and I assume eliminate any chance they can draft Sewell?   B/C Hooston will take him.

8 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

I think taking a WR in the top 5 would be incredibly short-sighted given how many holes this team has and how good Burrow might be.  If your QB is amazing, you don't need stellar WRs.  You just need good WRs, a good TE, and protection and he can find somebody open. If Sewell is taken, either trade down and get more picks or take a front 7 talent. 

A win today pretty much means the Bengals will draft behind Houston (Texans play Titans last week and pretty sure Titans will have something to play for) and I assume eliminate any chance they can draft Sewell?   B/C Hooston will take him.

When you have no long term plan, you are short sighted by default 

5 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

When you have no long term plan, you are short sighted by default 

Maybe the Bengals will take Patrick Surtain Jr to make up for a major screw-up

2 43 Cincinnati Bengals Artrell Hawkins  S Cincinnati C-USA  
  2 44 Miami Dolphins Patrick Surtain  CB Southern Mississippi C-USA from Carolina [R2 - 3]
  2 45 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Brian Kelly  CB USC Pac-10 from Atlanta [R2 - 4]
  2 46 Tennessee Oilers Samari Rolle  CB Florida State ACC

1486995912_9461b88c58_o.jpg

1 hour ago, tibor75 said:

Maybe the Bengals will take Patrick Surtain Jr to make up for a major screw-up

2 43 Cincinnati Bengals Artrell Hawkins  S Cincinnati C-USA  
  2 44 Miami Dolphins Patrick Surtain  CB Southern Mississippi C-USA from Carolina [R2 - 3]
  2 45 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Brian Kelly  CB USC Pac-10 from Atlanta [R2 - 4]
  2 46 Tennessee Oilers Samari Rolle  CB Florida State ACC

1486995912_9461b88c58_o.jpg

Wow, one the classics!

This remided me of what ML used to say about the Bengal drafts - he said he knew that their draft board was 'like other teams' because they saw players go off the board near the same spots they had those players spotted. I used to laugh at this because the above is a perfect example of the fault in that thinking. Yes, the Bengals may have had those 2 CB's lumped near each other, but every other team only had the other 3 CB's lumped together. It doesn't matter if you have a guy slotted at 50 and he goes at 50 to another team. It matters that you had Drew Sample at 49 when everyone else had him at 149. 

Here is where I duck in to note that tanking for anything other than a QB is stupid, that wins matter when you are trying to change a culture and reward buy-in, and that there are absolute difference makers in this deep draft at picks 7-12 AND that it is such a deep OT class you can find a starting RT in rounds 2 or 3 if you choose to wait. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Here is where I duck in to note that tanking for anything other than a QB is stupid, that wins matter when you are trying to change a culture and reward buy-in, and that there are absolute difference makers in this deep draft at picks 7-12 AND that it is such a deep OT class you can find a starting RT in rounds 2 or 3 if you choose to wait. 

But are these wins actually changing the culture?  Is this staff smart enough to carry it over? Last year we got really good running the ball in the second half of the season, but stunk doing it most of this season. Is this culture change or dead cat bounce?  I’ve seen this movie before and it worries me. 

34 minutes ago, Jason said:

But are these wins actually changing the culture?  Is this staff smart enough to carry it over? Last year we got really good running the ball in the second half of the season, but stunk doing it most of this season. Is this culture change or dead cat bounce?  I’ve seen this movie before and it worries me. 

Mattered for Miami last year into this year.

Mattered for 49ers a few years back before their SB run last year.

Coaches in process of turning over a locker-room and getting buy-in? It matters. 

2 hours ago, membengal said:

Coaches in process of turning over a locker-room and getting buy-in? It matters. 

Agreed. It's important to win at all costs every week.  That's sport.

Otherwise, you're cheating.

I was all for tanking to get to a QB.  They've got their QB. I am not for tanking for other positions. This draft is deep - and it has a ton of really good T prospects. Much rather the team see the fruits of their efforts pay off than lose. As for ZT - he's gotten teams led by Ryan FInley and Brandon Allen to wins in the last two weeks - and had two pretty sharply called games. The offense has been frisky all year, especially considering no off-season and a rookie QB. But, winning matters. Has to be more for him than just Burrow saying he likes him. There is at least something to build on now.

Now front office has to spend again. Go get at least two legit offensive linemen in FA and a d-lineman. Keep Lawson and WJIII. Extend Bates. Watch Burrow recover and build on this. It's doable. 

12 minutes ago, membengal said:

Maybe.  We aren't in there, so we really don't know.  We saw this movie several times in the 90s.  It was right back to the cellar the next season.  If you heard JJ Watt postgame you know there were a bunch of Texans mailing it in.  If they can compete with Baltimore next week I'll be more impressed.

The defense was atrocious again today.  If Zac survives he has to get a new DC. 

40 minutes ago, membengal said:

For good coaches. I’m not convinced we have many of those right now. 

56 minutes ago, membengal said:

Correct you are sir..

Wins allways matter to build morale no matter how insignificant it may seem to fans..

2 hours ago, membengal said:

Meh.  Coslet took over a 1 win team mid season and fished 7-2.  The next year the team started off 1-7. 

As a longtime Bengal fan I've seen that losses do not equate to fired coaches nor does it guarantee god draft picks. Unless it's a Joe Burrow or a Carson Palmer, let's just go ahead and win what we can and let's worry about the other stuff later. We, myself included, have wasted far too much time talking draft picks. It's pointless when we don't even know where the other teams will be drafting. Remember when we were talking about the Jets going one, Jax 2 and us 3?

29 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

As a longtime Bengal fan I've seen that losses do not equate to fired coaches nor does it guarantee god draft picks. Unless it's a Joe Burrow or a Carson Palmer, let's just go ahead and win what we can and let's worry about the other stuff later. We, myself included, have wasted far too much time talking draft picks. It's pointless when we don't even know where the other teams will be drafting. Remember when we were talking about the Jets going one, Jax 2 and us 3?

I believe alot of members like getting to know some of these top players in the draft..

+

18 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

It's not their pick anyway, it's the Dolphins'

'doh not sure how I missed that.

Anyway this is the only mock that has come out since yesterdays realignment, and they still have us getting Sewell.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2020/12/28/22202066/2021-nfl-mock-draft-order-jaguars-number-one-trevor-lawrence-jets-zach-wilson-falcons-justin-fields

I'm of the opinion that if we can't get him, you trade down and get extra picks and take a true Right Tackle in the lower half of the 1st.

But I also could be convinced to take a CB or DE with the pick and get a Right Tackle at the top of the 2nd.

13 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

If the Texans and Falcons win Sunday and we lose, we'll still draft third.

I also may win a million dollars if I buy a lottery ticket.

Archived