If Not Sewell, Who?

On 12/31/2020 at 8:45 AM, T-Dub said:

Can't argue that they've been running the ball more & calling more screens etc with a QB they're afraid to let throw it but I'm not sure that qualifies as a system.  More reacting to the circumstances, which in itself is not a given around here so that's kind of nice.

For the sake of discussion though, assuming we had 11 all-stars on offense:  What is Zac's system? 

Who knows and who cares.  What was Hue Jackson's system other than really screwy formations? 

With Jordan and whoever they picked up off the street playing guard then could run nowhere and everyone knew it.  DEs just laid back their ears and came.  Tackles aren't anywhere near good enough to deal with that.  Yes, QB changes as well, but Allen lit it up last week throwing and didn't get sacked if I'm not mistaken. 

We're gonna see what happens next season as it's pretty much a done deal that Taylor will be back.  Hopefully the OL will be in better shape in September.

13 hours ago, Jason said:

I did not say BPA period. I said if Sewell is gone and WR is BPA...
Whenever I mention BPA this season I always exclude QB and RB. As for TE, I wouldn’t hate the Pitts pick, if they use him properly, but I don’t think they will take him because they like Uzomah, and the just spent a 2 on Sample. 

Fair enough. You may be right that they skip Pitts because of their sunk costs with Uzomah and Sample. A good team would cut Uzomah since he wasn't worth 6 mil per year even before his injury. He's a good teammate and great human being so bringing him back as TE3 for vet minimum is fine. But we should be looking for an upgrade to a good TE1. Sample might be ok as TE2 and Carter as TE4/ST. 

But Pitts isn't worth the 5th pick and for the Bengals neither are Smith, Chase, or Waddle. If Sewell is gone and we can't get a decent trade offer, then Parsons or a DE or maybe even Slater would be the way to go. CB as well if WJ3 leaves. 

I would do any of those three receivers and not blink. That's assuming that they actually address o-line in FA. The draft is hella deep at d-line and d-tackle and o-line - they can make hay there in rounds 2 and 3. But Smith, Chase, Waddle are special talents. And they would each complement very nicely what Higgins does on the other side and what Boyd does in the slot. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

But Pitts isn't worth the 5th pick and for the Bengals neither are Smith, Chase, or Waddle. If Sewell is gone and we can't get a decent trade offer, then Parsons or a DE or maybe even Slater would be the way to go. CB as well if WJ3 leaves. 

There is simply no way to verify your statement. A players 'worth', all players drafted 'worth' is determined after they play in the NFL.  If Pitts became the best TE in the history of the league, I would say he would be 'worth' it. Everyone's assessment past the first pick this year carries a subjective component and ANY player can bust or be great. If Chase or Waddle played like AJ for 10 years, picking them would not bother me in the least. Like I said earlier, give me an impact player at ANY position other than RB and QB and fill the other holes down the draft or through FA. 

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Fair enough. You may be right that they skip Pitts because of their sunk costs with Uzomah and Sample. A good team would cut Uzomah since he wasn't worth 6 mil per year even before his injury. He's a good teammate and great human being so bringing him back as TE3 for vet minimum is fine. But we should be looking for an upgrade to a good TE1. Sample might be ok as TE2 and Carter as TE4/ST. 

Slater will go to guard in league..

Hell if your going that route take Wyatt Davis..

Which they wont..

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Going BPA isn’t all that obvious after the first couple picks.  Trading down isn’t that day either.  You have to have a team that really wants a player.  

Hope they don’t reach or pick a player that won the underwear Olympics. 

But BPA MIGHT be obvious to the Bengals draft board

5 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Hes very good..

He ll have to cover longer with the Bengals due to NO pass rush from our Dline..

A guy that should be a plug and play guy and lock up that position for years is the kind of guy that goes #5.  

36 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

A guy that should be a plug and play guy and lock up that position for years is the kind of guy that goes #5.  

Agree with that

.As you know ti build a good defense

you have to have defensive penetrators

to pressure hit or sack a QB or a mediocre to average QB could look like Elway ..(Brandon Allen)..

DEs and penetrating DTs would make it so much easier on backers and dbacks..

We have Hubbard and hopefully Lawson and Nothing else to speak of.. 

Start there and go back to backer then dback..

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Yeah, yeah...The Brown family sucks.  We know.  

We are discussing what they SHOULD do. 

We are not scouts - what they SHOULD do is follow their own draft board.  32 teams and there may be 32 different top 10 draft boards. What they SHOULD do is hack the draft boards of the good teams. 

On 1/1/2021 at 1:02 PM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

There is simply no way to verify your statement. A players 'worth', all players drafted 'worth' is determined after they play in the NFL.  If Pitts became the best TE in the history of the league, I would say he would be 'worth' it. Everyone's assessment past the first pick this year carries a subjective component and ANY player can bust or be great. If Chase or Waddle played like AJ for 10 years, picking them would not bother me in the least. Like I said earlier, give me an impact player at ANY position other than RB and QB and fill the other holes down the draft or through FA. 

This argument doesn't make much sense. A rookie free agent "could" turn into a Hall of Famer and some have. That doesn't mean some prospects aren't better than others. Pitts upside is as another Darren Waller. Would the Raiders trade the real thing for the #5 pick in the draft? Hell, yes they would. 

14 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

This argument doesn't make much sense. A rookie free agent "could" turn into a Hall of Famer and some have. That doesn't mean some prospects aren't better than others. Pitts upside is as another Darren Waller. Would the Raiders trade the real thing for the #5 pick in the draft? Hell, yes they would. 

Who would you rather have?

Pitts or Chase?

Just askin...

Cris Collinsworth, Darnay Scott, Carl Pickens, Chad Johnson, Tyler Boyd, Tee Higgins......if I were the Bengals I'd never take a first round WR again. Just keep picking those guys in the 2nd round and don't look back. 

Archived