If Not Sewell, Who?

16 hours ago, JungleJohn said:

Per most 2021 draft prospect lists there are between 9-11 OL. If we stay at #3 we will either control where Fields goes or get Sewell. I would likely take Sewell as how often does the BPA available align with the most needed position on the team. If we control Fields and he performs well QB needy teams will sell the house to get him. If the team we deal with is in the top 10 we should get at least a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd pick.

Lets sat we pick 8th in the 1st after the Fields trade. There are a bunch of OL we could get but they rank pretty low.  One of them like Skater, Davis and Vera-Tucker will likely go in the late teens. We can then trade back 8-9 slots and get one of them as well as a late 2nd and possibly a late 3rd or 4th. That would give us 7 picks in the first 4 rounds with 4 of them high in each round. There are some very good players thru round 4.  Add a solid experienced 2nd contract FA for the OL and DL and we should be able to fix the OL, help the DL, get as good WR and LB as well as maybe a CB or S with those 7 picks and still have the rest of the draft to maybe find a diamond in the rough. So the question is, is Sewell worth more than 3-4 additional picks in the top 4 rounds? I would say it is close. So we can make hay no matter what the Jags or Jets do.        

How do you figure we control Fields at #3? What's to keep Jacksonville from grabbing him at #2?

The first year success of the top 3 QB's from the 2020 draft will make QB hungry teams chase the 2021 top prospects. I think it is fair to say Fields will be gone at #2. And given teams know we don't need a QB at #3 but desperately need an OT there will be no action to trade into the spot. Anyone else chasing a QB will start discussions at #4. Perhaps someone wanted Sewell will ask about pick #3 but it would have to be a handful of picks to make sense of it. 

The Athletic just ran a piece on ranking the GM's and no surprise where Mikey landed lol

NFL GM Report: 10-Plus Drafts

1. Bill Belichick (.730): Belichick will land in the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a coach who had control over personnel, not for his work as a GM specifically. Some might say his coaching and Brady’s presence on the roster allowed Belichick to overcome some questionable work as a GM on his way to six Super Bowl victories. Whatever the case, Belichick has put together teams that have won at an astounding clip. Think of it this way: Dimitroff can take pride in his 109-88 record as the Falcons’ GM, but to match Belichick’s record in the role, he would have needed to keep his job and then post a 134-2 record in the future, to say nothing of winning six championships.

2. Kevin Colbert (.652): Colbert became the Stealers’ de facto GM in 2000 and then assumed the title formally in 2010. Pittsburgh has drafted 10 Pro Bowlers and six Associated Press First-Team All-Pros since 2010 despite picking among the top 15 just once over that span. Landing T.J. Watt with the 30th pick in the 2017 draft was a franchise-altering move. Adding Minkah Fitzpatrick by trade has also worked out well for the Stealers.

3. John Schneider (.633): While coach Pete Carroll has ultimate authority in Seattle, Schneider was the driving force behind the Seahawks’ decision to draft Wilson in 2012, even though the team had invested in the quarterback position during free agency. The team has drafted four strong candidates for the Hall of Fame on Schneider’s watch in Earl Thomas, Bobby Wagner, Richard Sherman and Wilson. Kam Chancellor was trending that way before suffering a career-ending neck injury, and still could factor for consideration.

4. Mickey Loomis (.585): Loomis is the NFL’s longest-tenured GM among those who are not also head coaches or team owners. He is not an evaluator by training, having come up through the ranks on the financial and salary-cap side of team operations. Coach Sean Payton and assistant GM Jeff Ireland, who oversees college scouting, drive the football decisions, allowing Loomis to double as head of basketball operations for the NBA’s Pelicans.

5. John Elway (.573): While Brian Xanders held the GM title through the 2012 draft, Elway has been the Broncos’ highest-ranking football decision-maker since 2011 (he added the GM title in 2014). His signature move was signing Peyton Manning, whose presence on the roster changed everything for Denver, including the team’s ability to recruit select free agents. Since 2011, the Broncos have a 45-12 record when Manning starts at quarterback, compared to 45-54 when others start at the position. This phenomenon is not unique to Elway or the Broncos. Everyone looks smarter with an all-time great quarterback taking the snaps.

6. Thomas Dimitroff (.553): Dimitroff helped build a Super Bowl team in Atlanta and might still be the Falcons’ GM if the team had not lost that 25-point lead against New England. The Falcons ranked tied for eighth in winning percentage across Dimitroff’s tenure. The offense was usually very good, ranking fourth in expected points added (EPA) under Dimitroff. The defense was another story, ranking just 30th despite having defensive-minded head coaches every season. The lone first-team All-Pro drafted on defense was Vic Beasley, whose 15.5-sack season in 2016 proved to be an outlier.

7. Jerry Jones (.538): The Cowboys won 63 percent of their games with three Super Bowl victories during the 1990s. They have won less than 52 percent of their games without reaching a Super Bowl since then, despite some successes in the draft. Jones earned a spot in the Hall of Fame on the strength of that 1990s success combined with his obvious business acumen, not for his accomplishments as a GM over the past couple decades. It’s no coincidence that the GMs with the worst won-lost records in this category own their teams.

8. Mike Brown (.403): The Bengals are the only team in the league without a playoff victory since Brown took over as GM in 1991. Only the Cleveland Browns have a worse regular-season record than the Bengals during that time. Again, owning the team has its privileges.

Bengals Wire has us taking Ja'Mar Chase at number three.

I certainly hope not but knowing how Mike Brown feels about first round

wide receivers and Chase's connection with Joe Burrow...  not impossible.

I hope it is, impossible, that is, but "because we're Bengals, son".

One possibility brought up here is the Chargers trading their two first round picks

with Jacksonville for the second pick in the draft and taking Sewell to protect Hay Bear.

Not impossible but their win last night drops the first of their two picks a bunch of slots.

That would leave us with Fields, the OSU quarterback on the board and a bidding war for trade possibilities.

Well, yeah, take the best we can get but still no generational OLT.

I really do like the mock drafts, read them all including on here.

One thing they all show the Bengals doing is going OL, Edge/Dline

and some Dbacks and Receivers.  No Linebackers.

Personally, I think our linebackers range from suck to nonexistent.

Some have po-ten-tial but I'm not seeing a lot beyond that.

Looks like only one true top notch linebacker, Parsons, in the draft but are there any others?

Maybe an Edge tweener who could move back a bit?

I would even 1/2 :ninja: consider moving Carl Lawson back there if for no other reason

than he would be less likely to line up in the neutral zone.

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

You think Taylor throws him & Anarumo under the bus to buy another year?

I think all 3 are coming back.

Absolutely, what good coach wants to join this staff and coach under Taylor? Why would competent professional want any part of this hot mess of a coaching staff. 

Besides replacing coaches means the front office has to actually do something. 

Is this guy truly a "generational LT" or just the best one in this year's draft? Hype is normal for fans but without a scouting department I fear the team buys in on that as well.

I think the only honest answer is to check back in 6-8 years. This guy will neither make or break the team. 

I hope we get him too but the idea that some rookie draft pick fixes everything is crazy. We've got one of those guys mending a freshly mangled knee right now. You'd think that would add some perspective but here we are again with the same tunnel vision.

23 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Is this guy truly a "generational LT" or just the best one in this year's draft? Hype is normal for fans but without a scouting department I fear the team buys in on that as well.

I think the only honest answer is to check back in 6-8 years. This guy will neither make or break the team. 

I hope we get him too but the idea that some rookie draft pick fixes everything is crazy. We've got one of those guys mending a freshly mangled knee right now. You'd think that would add some perspective but here we are again with the same tunnel vision.

All of the scouts say generational talent, he should be the pick for multiple very good reasons. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

All of the scouts say generational talent, he should be the pick for multiple very good reasons. 

If we don’t pick him he will surpass the career of Anthony Munoz where he goes.   

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

If we don’t pick him he will surpass the career of Anthony Munoz where he goes.   

Agreed..

Jonah Williams was considered the best OT when they drafted him..

Good pick...

Sewell is by all accounts the best lineman in some time..

Adding him to the mix is the top priority ..

28 minutes ago, BENGALS666 said:

Bengals only ever compete when they have a line. If you opt out of the Sewell game for a funpack you might as well tell Joe to start pondering what other team he wants to jump to right now... I'm sure The Saints would love him..

No offense but this is kind of what I'm talking about, like if we don't get this one draft pick everything is ruined and we may as well bulldoze PBS into the river.

There are probably 20+ different OL in this draft that would be an immediate upgrade over what we have.  

4 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Agreed..

Jonah Williams was considered the best OT when they drafted him..

And he's looked maybe a little better than average if we're being generous, while playing in all of 10 games in 2 years.  

Like I said before, this team right now needs 10-20 average players more than it needs one superstar, particularly a "superstar" that has yet to take one NFL snap.  I can only hope some other team gets caught up in all this hype and gives up their draft for the guy.  

Anyway, I guess I'm done trying to put the brakes on this hype train.  Maybe it's all we have with the team in shambles but we're going full ESPN around here lately. I promise you Sewell really isn't that important.

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

No offense but this is kind of what I'm talking about, like if we don't get this one draft pick everything is ruined and we may as well bulldoze PBS into the river.

There are probably 20+ different OL in this draft that would be an immediate upgrade over what we have.  

And he's looked maybe a little better than average if we're being generous, while playing in all of 10 games in 2 years.  

Like I said before, this team right now needs 10-20 average players more than it needs one superstar, particularly a "superstar" that has yet to take one NFL snap.  I can only hope some other team gets caught up in all this hype and gives up their draft for the guy.  

Anyway, I guess I'm done trying to put the brakes on this hype train.  Maybe it's all we have with the team in shambles but we're going full ESPN around here lately. I promise you Sewell really isn't that important.

Yes he is...

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Just as important is a valid OL coach. Every college player including Sewell need a lot of coaching and right now this team provides little so even more picks won’t really matter. 

Turner is gone as soon as the season is over...

Any oline coach is an upgrade but getting one thats Teaches is what this unit needs..

12 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

And I would not assume Turner is gone after the season- he should be and would be on any other team (as would the entire staff) , but this is the Bengals after all. 

Yes it's the Bengals we know..

Turner has Proven to everyone that his 

boot camp methods are far outdated..

Hes gone..

29 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Randall McDaniel could be the greatest NFL guard ever..

12 time Probowl..9 time 1st team AllPro..in the 90s..

Hes working in the public schools system..

How about giving him a chance to teach our line??

I know great players don't automatically make great coaches

but the former Bengal  I would love to see be our O Line

coach is Max Montoya even over Munoz.  He lives right over

the river, too, close to PBS.

Max was (in)famous for being the best holder in the NFL and getting away with it.

He also invented spraying the black jerseys with Pam, the non stick skillet spray

so D linemen's hands would slip off.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

I know great players don't automatically make great coaches

but the former Bengal  I would love to see be our O Line

coach is Max Montoya even over Munoz.  He lives right over

the river, too, close to PBS.

Max was (in)famous for being the best holder in the NFL and getting away with it.

He also invented spraying the black jerseys with Pam, the non stick skillet spray

so D linemen's hands would slip off.

Has he coached since retiring?

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

And one that will laugh out loud when Shula or Tobin tell him they think Hart is a good RT

They don't hire people like that.  They'll hire someone who doesn't contradict them, and doesn't make Zac feel threatened by having things like NFL coaching experience or talent.  Bonus points if they are related to someone already on staff.

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

They don't hire people like that.  They'll hire someone who doesn't contradict them, and doesn't make Zac feel threatened by having things like NFL coaching experience or talent.  Bonus points if they are related to someone already on staff.

YOU dont really Believe that..

Can you look past the past and see if maybe Katy Zach and JB can put the offensive line together with a teaching coach?..

They know this..Turners bullshit interview was after Zach's father in law signed off on his antiquated tactics and a good friend to boot..

Zach listened..And got burnt..to the stake..  with this motley crew with no training..

Over and over and over again to build a solid team you start with the foundation..

The Oline and D front 7 takes care of that..

Yes a franchise QB is top priority but after that it's Oline and front seven..

Here's another fact about Sewell..

When was the last time an OL 

was named Offensive player of the Year.in a power 5 conference?

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Why was not Turner let go after year 1 if Zac knew he was a POS?

Everyone knew he was a POS after he got run out of Miami.  They knew what they were getting and went ahead with him for whatever reason (likely because he came cheap & nobody worth a damn wanted the job.)

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

YOU dont really Believe that..

I 100% do believe that, this organization is built on nepotism and the yes-men that prop them up.  The FO is entirely clueless and will only hire a HC willing to accept their bullshit.

Archived