If Not Sewell, Who?

28 minutes ago, membengal said:

The reasoning in that FoxSports paragraph is what the Bengals should NOT do. If they don't get Sewell, reaching for the next lineman and by-passing players with much higher grades would be insane. 

Slater and Tucker will be guards in the league..

Darrishaw while a good one is a reach..

Sure Id like Pitts..matchup nightmare..

Rousseau is extremely talented but how raw is he?

Chase is a Steve Smith type..rugged

Parsons is solid

Trading the pick is an option...

17 minutes ago, Cricket said:

...I’m not seeing the ketchup-extraction information for these offensive tackles.  How do they expect to make a decision on the relative values of these players without that key data?

:shrug:

HaHa. Need to see them squeeze the ketchup bottles while bending the knees. Rumors that this will be a new test at the combine. 

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

...I’m not seeing the ketchup-extraction information for these offensive tackles.  How do they expect to make a decision on the relative values of these players without that key data?

:shrug:

I also need to see everyone's 40 times so I know who the best WR is in this class.  Boy I hope they aren't a DB, that'd be awkward.

On 12/24/2020 at 7:41 PM, spicoli said:

Sewell wasn't available so I took it upon myself to make a couple of trades..

19. Cincinnati Bengals Samuel Cosmi OT, Texas

21. Cincinnati Bengals Alijah Vera-Tucker IOL, USC

38. Cincinnati Bengals Pat Freiermuth TE, Penn State

51. Cincinnati Bengals Jaelan Phillips EDGE, Miami

67. Cincinnati Bengals Darius Stills IDL, West Virginia

76. Cincinnati Bengals Christian Barmore IDL, Alabama

82. Cincinnati Bengals Tylan Wallace WR, Oklahoma State

104. Cincinnati Bengals Chuba Hubbard RB, Oklahoma State

143. Cincinnati Bengals Thomas Graham Jr. CB, Oregon

Love the ide of trading down. 

37 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Hopefully someone is after a QB but I think it's far more likely we take a WR.  

37 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Hopefully someone is after a QB but I think it's far more likely we take a WR.  

Have you looked at the QB class fir 2021 draft..

Howell and then what?...

Slim pickins imo..

This is the year to get your QB ..

I would imagine we will get offers at 5..

Hopefully to good to pass up..

4 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Have you looked at the QB class fir 2021 draft..

Howell and then what?...

Slim pickins imo..

This is the year to get your QB ..

I would imagine we will get offers at 5..

Hopefully to good to pass up..

I've seen some mocks with 2-3 in the top dozen or so picks, yeah.   Who knows if that's accurate but of course it'd be great if we can turn that into an extra impact player or two.   We kind of need help all over but I can't help noting that our draft moves so far (Sample/Finley) have been pretty dumb.  

In the end I still think this FO is too lazy & risk-averse to make a move when they could grab the best WR and call it a day.

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

Why not? The league has changed the past decade or so. It’s a pass first league now. If Sewell is gone and WR is BPA, I’m all for it.

Because I think the chances of a TE being worth that high of a pick are incredibly slim, and I think we have our WR1 and 2 in Higgins/Boyd, so dropping a Top 5 pick on a slot WR also seems like poor value.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I've seen some mocks with 2-3 in the top dozen or so picks, yeah.   Who knows if that's accurate but of course it'd be great if we can turn that into an extra impact player or two.   We kind of need help all over but I can't help noting that our draft moves so far (Sample/Finley) have been pretty dumb.  

In the end I still think this FO is too lazy & risk-averse to make a move when they could grab the best WR and call it a day.

I like your thoughts..

If you truly want a playmaker on offense that will be a huge mismatch in Zachs system outside od Oline you take Kyle Pitts..

Hes another new breed TE that defenses struggle with..

Too big for corners and even alot of backers..

They compare him to Darren lWaller of Las Vegas but he reminds me of a Tyler Eiiffert when he was in his one year prime..

The ceiling on this kid could be thru the roof..

Thats if you wanna go offense. In round 1...

4 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

The only relevant question is, is he a "fuckin' soldja!"?

Oh wait - right position, wrong Florida school.

*Runs before Lost gets mad  😇

The answer to that is revelency ....Zachs system and dangerous targets for JB is a must to  make the offense better..even dangerous..

I believee Pitts would do that in a big way on 3rd downs and red zone..

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

...Zachs system

What is this system you speak of, beyond 40+ attempts a game and sending a rookie QB to IR?

Seriously I have not seen anything consistent enough to call a system by any stretch.  If this is actually a successful implentation of a system then that system sucks balls from the back.

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

What is this system you speak of, beyond 40+ attempts a game and sending a rookie QB to IR?

Seriously I have not seen anything consistent enough to call a system by any stretch.  If this is actually a successful implentation of a system then that system sucks balls from the back.

While I won’t argue that Zac has sucked as a HC in general, There has been a significant difference in playcalling now that there are two serviceable NFL guards playing.  They now can run the ball, which makes it a lot easier on the tackles to pass block. 

Hopefully Turner and Michael Jordan are banished from Bengaland forever when the season ends. 

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

While I won’t argue that Zac has sucked as a HC in general, There has been a significant difference in playcalling now that there are two serviceable NFL guards playing.  They now can run the ball, which makes it a lot easier on the tackles to pass block. 

Hopefully Turner and Michael Jordan are banished from Bengaland forever when the season ends. 

Can't argue that they've been running the ball more & calling more screens etc with a QB they're afraid to let throw it but I'm not sure that qualifies as a system.  More reacting to the circumstances, which in itself is not a given around here so that's kind of nice.

For the sake of discussion though, assuming we had 11 all-stars on offense:  What is Zac's system? 

14 hours ago, Jason said:

Why not? The league has changed the past decade or so. It’s a pass first league now. If Sewell is gone and WR is BPA, I’m all for it.

We shouldn't necessarily draft Best Player Available, we should draft for Most Value Added. If the BPA is a QB, I'd hope you'd agree we should pass on one?  Adding a good WR or TE is nice in isolation but doesn't do much to help our QB stay upright. If we upgrade the O-line, then we have a good enough QB to hit open receivers. With an upgraded O-line we can keep defenses honest with an at least average running game. Second, third, and fourth round receivers and TEs will do fine if we have a good O-line. Conversely, a first round receiver won't thrive if his QB is running for his life.

9 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

The only relevant question is, is he a "fuckin' soldja!"?

Oh wait - right position, wrong Florida school.

*Runs before Lost gets mad  😇

Isn't Kellen Winslow Jr. in prison somewhere now?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/13/kellen-winslow-jr-ii-crimes-rape-trial-homeless-woman-elderly

51 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We shouldn't necessarily draft Best Player Available, we should draft for Most Value Added. If the BPA is a QB, I'd hope you'd agree we should pass on one?  Adding a good WR or TE is nice in isolation but doesn't do much to help our QB stay upright. If we upgrade the O-line, then we have a good enough QB to hit open receivers. With an upgraded O-line we can keep defenses honest with an at least average running game. Second, third, and fourth round receivers and TEs will do fine if we have a good O-line. Conversely, a first round receiver won't thrive if his QB is running for his life.

I don't think anyone is disputing we need a much better Oline, but the question is - if Sewell is gone when we pick and we can't trade down then who do we pick. An argument can be made that Pitts is a game changer as Parsons may be on defense. Yes, good TE's can be had later but game changers? If Pitts turns into a perennial Pro Bowl TE then picking him in the top 10 is a better value pick than Sample was in round 2. 

The draft should be seen as 'part' of the personnel puzzle but unfortunately for this team it is most of the puzzle so we feel we have to fill holes instead of going BPA. There is general consensus that Sewell is a top 5 value and Pitts and Parsons are top 10 AND there is no other OL in the top 10. 

This roster needs a lot of work (again) and the top pick is just 1 piece of that - whoever we get it has to be an instant impact guy, not a John Ross slug. Not a project or an injury prone guy or a workout warrior. I am happy as long as a we pick an instant impact player, the other many holes will have to be filled elsewhere. 

10 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I did not say BPA period. I said if Sewell is gone and WR is BPA...
Whenever I mention BPA this season I always exclude QB and RB. As for TE, I wouldn’t hate the Pitts pick, if they use him properly, but I don’t think they will take him because they like Uzomah, and the just spent a 2 on Sample. 

Archived