1/2 season QB

Outside of the coaching decision, one of the most interesting offseason decisions should be what do we do about backup QB. I use the term should because the team has been ignoring the position for years to an obvious fault. Trotting out Allen and Finley just hasn't cut it. 

Next year we will be an interesting destination for someone looking to get snaps. While they won't get the future, whoever joins the team will be the focal point for the offseason and possibly up to 8 games if not more. That has to be enticing for a young guy who wants to still be a starter in this league or a seasoned veteran who would like to close out a career with some snaps. 

Here are the most likely guys broken down in 3 categories. Young guys looking to revitalize careers, veterans looking for the last snaps of their careers. and a group of guys who could start and then be a longer term backup option for Burrow. 

Who would you like to see us land?

Revitalize        
Tribusky, Mitch 2021 26 62% 1069 10-5 46/47
Mariota, Marcus 2022; 2021 $10,100,000 CC 27 DNP 61/63
Haskins, Dwayne 2023; 2021 $1,805,601 23 61% 939 4-3 11/13
Jones, Daniel 2023; 2021 $3,018,096 23 63.2% 2335 8-9 23/24
Glennon, Mike 2021 30 62.3% 515 3-2 24/31
Brissett, Jacoby 2021 28 28.6% 17 0-0 32/45
Minshew, Gardner 2023; 2021 $850,000 24 65.9% 1855 13-5 19/21
Winston, Jameis 2021 26 63.6% 75 0-0 70/75
Hundley, Brett 2021 27 DNP 9/18
Gabbert, Blaine 2021 31 DNP 48/59

Last Chance        
Fitzpatrick, Ryan 2021 38 68% 1909 12-8 146/164
Flacco, Joe 2021 35 55.2% 864 6-3 175/176

Long term backup        
Mullens, Nick 2021 25 67.3% 1958 9-9 14/17
Beathard, CJ 2021 27 60.5% 232 1-0 10/16
McCarron, AJ 2021 30 DNP 4/15
Taylor, Tyrod 2021 31 53.3% 202 0-0 47/72

For reference here are all of the QB situations in the league. I broke them down by color. Green=likely settled, Aqua=Probably settled, Yellow=Maybe looking, Red=potential fits for next year

AFC East
  QB 17 Allen, Josh 18/1 BARKLEY, MATT SF18 Fromm, Jake 20/5            
  QB 1 Tagovailoa, Tua 20/1 FITZPATRICK, RYAN U/TB              
  QB 1 NEWTON, CAM CC/Car Stidham, Jarrett 19/4 HOYER, BRIAN CC/Ind            
  QB 14 Pick Number 1 Darnold, Sam 18/1 Morgan, James 20/4 FLACCO, JOE CC/Den          
AFC North
  QB 8 Jackson, Lamar 18/1 McSorley, Trace 19/6              
  QB 8 Joe Burrow Allen, Brandon SF20 Finley, Ryan 19/4            
  QB 6 Mayfield, Baker 18/1 KEENUM, CASE U/Was              
  QB 7 ROETHLISBERGER, BEN 04/1 Rudolph, Mason 18/3 Dobbs, Joshua W/Jax            
AFC South
  QB 4 Watson, Deshaun 17/1 MCCARRON, AJ CC/Oak MCCOWN, JOSH P/Phi            
  QB 17 RIVERS, PHILIP U/LAC Brissett, Jacoby T/NE Eason, Jacob 20/4            
  QB 2 Pick Number 2 GLENNON, MIKE U/LV Luton, Jake 20/6 Minshew II, Gardner 19/6          
  QB 17 TANNEHILL, RYAN T/Mia Woodside, Logan SF18              
AFC West
  QB 3 Lock, Drew 19/2 Rypien, Brett CF19              
  QB 15 Mahomes II, Patrick 17/1 HENNE, CHAD U/Jax              
  QB 4 Carr, Derek 14/2 Mariota, Marcus U/Ten Peterman, Nathan SF18            
  QB 10 Herbert, Justin 20/1 TAYLOR, TYROD U/Cle Stick, Easton 19/5            
NFC East
  QB 14 Prescott, Dak DALTON, ANDY SF20/EX Gilbert, Garrett P/Cle DiNucci, Ben 20/7          
  QB 8   Jones, Daniel 19/1 MCCOY, COLT U/Was            
  QB 2 Wentz, Carson 16/1 Hurts, Jalen 20/2 Sudfeld, Nate SF17            
  QB 11   SMITH, ALEX T/KC Haskins, Dwayne 19/1            
NFC North
  QB 10   Trubisky, Mitch 17/1 FOLES, NICK T/Jax            
  QB 9 STAFFORD, MATTHEW 09/1 DANIEL, CHASE U/Chi Blough, David T/Cle            
  QB 12 RODGERS, AARON 05/1 Boyle, Tim CF18 Love, Jordan 20/1            
  QB 8 COUSINS, KIRK U/Was Mannion, Sean U/LAR              
NFC South
  QB 2 RYAN, MATT 08/1 SCHAUB, MATT U/Bal              
  QB 5 Bridgewater, Teddy U/NO Walker, P.J. SF20 Grier, Will 19/3            
  QB 7 Brees, Drew HILL, TAYSOM W/GB Winston, Jameis U/TB Siemian, Trevor P/Ten          
  QB 12 BRADY, TOM U/NE GABBERT, BLAINE SF19 GRIFFIN, RYAN W/NO            
NFC West
  QB 1 Murray, Kyler 19/1 Streveler, Chris SF20 Hundley, Brett U/Sea            
  QB 16 Goff, Jared 16/1 Wolford, John SF19              
  QB 4 Garrapalo, Jimmy Mullens, Nick CF17 Beathard, CJ 17/3            
  QB 3 WILSON, RUSSELL 12/3 SMITH, GENO U/LAC              

Thanks for once again providing a very thorough analysis Michael, you always bring the goods. 👍

From this listing my eye goes straight to Fitzpatrick.  Call it "the devil you know" and maybe that's part of it, but IMO he has always been the perfect backup if you want a guy who is confident, liked by his teammates, can win you a game or two, but... is just bad enough that you shouldn't really have a controversy over whether he deserves to be the starter (or in other words, nobody is going to bat an eye if you're constantly trying to upgrade).  Yes he's been part of controversies in the past but I've always chalked that up to people being fooled by him overachieving for a short span - and he always ends up proving he shouldn't start in the end.

Other names I'd be interested in - McCarron (again, devil you know and he likely has stopped dreaming of becoming a starter), and maybe Mariota if you really want to go with a guy who might be revitalized as you say, doesn't seem to be overly selfish, and could be trade bait late in a season.

Hard no's:  Blaine Gabbert (hated him as a prospect, hate him as a failed pro), Winston (I know some people like him on here but I don't think a turnover machine is a good choice as a backup), Flacco (except for one magical winter the dude is a choke artist and just not a guy people rally around), any of the other "revitalization projects" - I just think they'd all want to start and that's simply not helpful to Joe and not realistic for them.  I'm a big proponent of competition breeding maximum performance but Joe is not a guy that needs any outside motivation, which is fantastic and really simplifies what you need as a backup.

Edit:  Forgot a hard no:  Geno Smith.  He just sucks.

My first choice would be Andy Dalton but my guess is that Dallas will try to keep him and that he'll want to stay but if he's available I'd go there. Choice #2 is Gardner Minshew. I think he'd be an outstanding choice as a backup and can run the same offense as Burrow

Isn't Josh Rosen still in the league? He'd be another guy for the list.

Daniel Jones will be starting for the Giants next year. Dwayne Haskins might be starting in Washington but will be on the team in any event. 

I agree it would be good to have a veteran mentor with at least several dozen starts for Burrow. Fitzpatrick would be a fine choice. 

16 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Isn't Josh Rosen still in the league? He'd be another guy for the list.

Daniel Jones will be starting for the Giants next year. Dwayne Haskins might be starting in Washington but will be on the team in any event. 

I agree it would be good to have a veteran mentor with at least several dozen starts for Burrow. Fitzpatrick would be a fine choice. 

Rosen is a great name to add. Didn't add Dalton because to me it doesn't make sense for either party. 

I think it's important to note that the player may play 1/2 to the entire season. 

I think Haskins is out in Washington. I was trying to see if him and Burrow were buddies. He might make the most sense if so. 

Jones is a big question mark too but I would bet he is back in NYG. 

6 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

There was chatter today that Mariotta may be the LV starter next year if Gruden tires of Carr

I dont lnow if Mariotta would 

put up numbers like Carr but who knows..

I dont get the negativity about Carr.

Their 7-5 on the season..

What am i missing about Carr??

Fitzpatrick or Flacco. Both have shown they can play well enough to win games with their arms at some point. A lot of the other guys are just Allen in different clothing. 

With Burrow coming off surgery it would be prudent to have a backup you would be OK playing more than the odd game.  Both would take a short term deal which is also good. 

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Fitzpatrick or Flacco. Both have shown they can play well enough to win games with their arms at some point. A lot of the other guys are just Allen in different clothing. 

With Burrow coming off surgery it would be prudent to have a backup you would be OK playing more than the odd game.  Both would take a short term deal which is also good. 

No to Flacco..hes pitiful now..

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Why would Jax let Minshew leave..

Solid vet backup to Justin Fields next year..like to have him though..

Fitzy is really old but maybe one year..

Mariotta might be a decent choice..

Often when you give a guy a chance to start and then replace him you move on so there isn't a fracture in the locker room. 

Some additional thoughts

Tribusky, Mitch--Tribusky might be the one. He will be a free agent and free to go where ever he wishes. He is from Ohio. He might relish the opportunity to get an entire offseason of 1st team reps and then 3-12 games or so. 

Mariota, Marcus--Mariota would be a prize. I looked at his stats before this year and he was actually very good.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was back as the Raiders starter or ended up as a cap casualty and then starting for the Bears or Redskins. He is probably the top guy in the potential free agent group. 

Haskins, Dwayne--Do they drop him? Is he available through trade? I wouldn't trade for him with the rest of the guys available but he might be a perfect fit. He and Burrow were teammates and although early reports were they didn't like each other it seems that now they are cool. If you did choose to trade for him you have him for 2 years. That means if he shines in 8 games or so you might be able to trade him for his 4th year to a QB needy team. 

Jones, Daniel--I posted this in two different forums and in both people said this was not a guy they would likely move on from. I can see it as well but again a perfect guy. These top 4 really are revitalization projects where you are taking a guy who their team gave up on and giving him an offseason and half a year to showcase they were wrong. 

Glennon, Mike--Never is given a full chance. He is irrationally one of my favorites and I want him here as the long term backup to Burrow and hope that the enticement to start gets it done. His journey is crazy. Russell Wilson ended up in Wisconsin because Glennon was taking over. Then he ended up in Tampa where he had great numbers but got beaten out by Winston. Signed a huge deal in Chicago and they drafted Tribusky. He goes to Arizona and Oakland and then lands in Jacksonville this year. Minshew flakes out and Glennon has had 2 quality starts in a row. His stats have always been decent....but teams just want to move on. He is 31 now and likely won't get another chance

Brissett, Jacoby--Brissett might be back as an option in NE. He had several good years and is still pretty young. 

Minshew, Gardner--Minshew could be back as a backup in Jacksonville to Fields or whomever they draft. Or it's possible with a likely new coaching staff they sweep out the old starter. He would be a very cheap option. I am not sure how his personality would mesh with Burrow. 

Winston, Jameis--This is a no go for me. I do think he might make it back to starting but I am not sure he fits with Burrow either. 

Hundley, Brett--I have always liked Hundley because of his athleticism. He is only 27 so might have some upside. 

Gabbert, Blaine--An interesting long term backup type but only 31

Fitzpatrick, Ryan--This is a pretty big dream guy for many. Super professional and lots of high quality starts. Would help burrow and the team. 

Flacco, Joe--Already 35 and has had some good stats with the Jets but not enough. 

Mullens, Nick--Mullens will be an unrestricted free agent. He has a decent number of starts and at times looks good. And he is only 25

Beathard, CJ--I have a feeling Beathard will be on the short list. He looked really good when he played earlier this year and he is technically 3rd string. He has 10 starts

McCarron, AJ--This is an interesting one. Tell me you couldn't see our front office trying to prove they made a good pick by bringing back a known commodity. 

Taylor, Tyrod--Taylor could be great as well. At the very least he is a veteran leader that can start some games for you. 

16 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Some additional thoughts

Tribusky, Mitch--Tribusky might be the one. He will be a free agent and free to go where ever he wishes. He is from Ohio. He might relish the opportunity to get an entire offseason of 1st team reps and then 3-12 games or so. 

Mariota, Marcus--Mariota would be a prize. I looked at his stats before this year and he was actually very good.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was back as the Raiders starter or ended up as a cap casualty and then starting for the Bears or Redskins. He is probably the top guy in the potential free agent group. 

Haskins, Dwayne--Do they drop him? Is he available through trade? I wouldn't trade for him with the rest of the guys available but he might be a perfect fit. He and Burrow were teammates and although early reports were they didn't like each other it seems that now they are cool. If you did choose to trade for him you have him for 2 years. That means if he shines in 8 games or so you might be able to trade him for his 4th year to a QB needy team. 

Jones, Daniel--I posted this in two different forums and in both people said this was not a guy they would likely move on from. I can see it as well but again a perfect guy. These top 4 really are revitalization projects where you are taking a guy who their team gave up on and giving him an offseason and half a year to showcase they were wrong. 

Glennon, Mike--Never is given a full chance. He is irrationally one of my favorites and I want him here as the long term backup to Burrow and hope that the enticement to start gets it done. His journey is crazy. Russell Wilson ended up in Wisconsin because Glennon was taking over. Then he ended up in Tampa where he had great numbers but got beaten out by Winston. Signed a huge deal in Chicago and they drafted Tribusky. He goes to Arizona and Oakland and then lands in Jacksonville this year. Minshew flakes out and Glennon has had 2 quality starts in a row. His stats have always been decent....but teams just want to move on. He is 31 now and likely won't get another chance

Brissett, Jacoby--Brissett might be back as an option in NE. He had several good years and is still pretty young. 

Minshew, Gardner--Minshew could be back as a backup in Jacksonville to Fields or whomever they draft. Or it's possible with a likely new coaching staff they sweep out the old starter. He would be a very cheap option. I am not sure how his personality would mesh with Burrow. 

Winston, Jameis--This is a no go for me. I do think he might make it back to starting but I am not sure he fits with Burrow either. 

Hundley, Brett--I have always liked Hundley because of his athleticism. He is only 27 so might have some upside. 

Fitzpatrick, Ryan--This is a pretty big dream guy for many. Super professional and lots of high quality starts. Would help burrow and the team. 

Flacco, Joe--Already 35 and has had some good stats with the Jets but not enough. 

Mullens, Nick--Mullens will be an unrestricted free agent. He has a decent number of starts and at times looks good. And he is only 25

Beathard, CJ--I have a feeling Beathard will be on the short list. He looked really good when he played earlier this year and he is technically 3rd string. He has 10 starts

McCarron, AJ--This is an interesting one. Tell me you couldn't see our front office trying to prove they made a good pick by bringing back a known commodity. 

Taylor, Tyrod--Taylor could be great as well. At the very least he is a veteran leader that can start some games for you. 

You may be right about Minshew and JB...

Id take Fitzpatrick first with Mariotta as second choice..

Tks for sharing all the info..

Very impressive..

14 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Some additional thoughts

Great stuff as always, Goo.

Like to see more of you around here.

On 12/11/2020 at 8:56 AM, MichaelWeston said:

Outside of the coaching decision, one of the most interesting offseason decisions should be what do we do about backup QB. I use the term should because the team has been ignoring the position for years to an obvious fault. Trotting out Allen and Finley just hasn't cut it. 

Next year we will be an interesting destination for someone looking to get snaps. While they won't get the future, whoever joins the team will be the focal point for the offseason and possibly up to 8 games if not more. That has to be enticing for a young guy who wants to still be a starter in this league or a seasoned veteran who would like to close out a career with some snaps. 

Here are the most likely guys broken down in 3 categories. Young guys looking to revitalize careers, veterans looking for the last snaps of their careers. and a group of guys who could start and then be a longer term backup option for Burrow. 

Who would you like to see us land?

Revitalize        
Tribusky, Mitch 2021 26 62% 1069 10-5 46/47
Mariota, Marcus 2022; 2021 $10,100,000 CC 27 DNP 61/63
Haskins, Dwayne 2023; 2021 $1,805,601 23 61% 939 4-3 11/13
Jones, Daniel 2023; 2021 $3,018,096 23 63.2% 2335 8-9 23/24
Glennon, Mike 2021 30 62.3% 515 3-2 24/31
Brissett, Jacoby 2021 28 28.6% 17 0-0 32/45
Minshew, Gardner 2023; 2021 $850,000 24 65.9% 1855 13-5 19/21
Winston, Jameis 2021 26 63.6% 75 0-0 70/75
Hundley, Brett 2021 27 DNP 9/18
Gabbert, Blaine 2021 31 DNP 48/59

Last Chance        
Fitzpatrick, Ryan 2021 38 68% 1909 12-8 146/164
Flacco, Joe 2021 35 55.2% 864 6-3 175/176

Long term backup        
Mullens, Nick 2021 25 67.3% 1958 9-9 14/17
Beathard, CJ 2021 27 60.5% 232 1-0 10/16
McCarron, AJ 2021 30 DNP 4/15
Taylor, Tyrod 2021 31 53.3% 202 0-0 47/72

For reference here are all of the QB situations in the league. I broke them down by color. Green=likely settled, Aqua=Probably settled, Yellow=Maybe looking, Red=potential fits for next year

AFC East
  QB 17 Allen, Josh 18/1 BARKLEY, MATT SF18 Fromm, Jake 20/5            
  QB 1 Tagovailoa, Tua 20/1 FITZPATRICK, RYAN U/TB              
  QB 1 NEWTON, CAM CC/Car Stidham, Jarrett 19/4 HOYER, BRIAN CC/Ind            
  QB 14 Pick Number 1 Darnold, Sam 18/1 Morgan, James 20/4 FLACCO, JOE CC/Den          
AFC North
  QB 8 Jackson, Lamar 18/1 McSorley, Trace 19/6              
  QB 8 Joe Burrow Allen, Brandon SF20 Finley, Ryan 19/4            
  QB 6 Mayfield, Baker 18/1 KEENUM, CASE U/Was              
  QB 7 ROETHLISBERGER, BEN 04/1 Rudolph, Mason 18/3 Dobbs, Joshua W/Jax            
AFC South
  QB 4 Watson, Deshaun 17/1 MCCARRON, AJ CC/Oak MCCOWN, JOSH P/Phi            
  QB 17 RIVERS, PHILIP U/LAC Brissett, Jacoby T/NE Eason, Jacob 20/4            
  QB 2 Pick Number 2 GLENNON, MIKE U/LV Luton, Jake 20/6 Minshew II, Gardner 19/6          
  QB 17 TANNEHILL, RYAN T/Mia Woodside, Logan SF18              
AFC West
  QB 3 Lock, Drew 19/2 Rypien, Brett CF19              
  QB 15 Mahomes II, Patrick 17/1 HENNE, CHAD U/Jax              
  QB 4 Carr, Derek 14/2 Mariota, Marcus U/Ten Peterman, Nathan SF18            
  QB 10 Herbert, Justin 20/1 TAYLOR, TYROD U/Cle Stick, Easton 19/5            
NFC East
  QB 14 Prescott, Dak DALTON, ANDY SF20/EX Gilbert, Garrett P/Cle DiNucci, Ben 20/7          
  QB 8   Jones, Daniel 19/1 MCCOY, COLT U/Was            
  QB 2 Wentz, Carson 16/1 Hurts, Jalen 20/2 Sudfeld, Nate SF17            
  QB 11   SMITH, ALEX T/KC Haskins, Dwayne 19/1            
NFC North
  QB 10   Trubisky, Mitch 17/1 FOLES, NICK T/Jax            
  QB 9 STAFFORD, MATTHEW 09/1 DANIEL, CHASE U/Chi Blough, David T/Cle            
  QB 12 RODGERS, AARON 05/1 Boyle, Tim CF18 Love, Jordan 20/1            
  QB 8 COUSINS, KIRK U/Was Mannion, Sean U/LAR              
NFC South
  QB 2 RYAN, MATT 08/1 SCHAUB, MATT U/Bal              
  QB 5 Bridgewater, Teddy U/NO Walker, P.J. SF20 Grier, Will 19/3            
  QB 7 Brees, Drew HILL, TAYSOM W/GB Winston, Jameis U/TB Siemian, Trevor P/Ten          
  QB 12 BRADY, TOM U/NE GABBERT, BLAINE SF19 GRIFFIN, RYAN W/NO            
NFC West
  QB 1 Murray, Kyler 19/1 Streveler, Chris SF20 Hundley, Brett U/Sea            
  QB 16 Goff, Jared 16/1 Wolford, John SF19              
  QB 4 Garrapalo, Jimmy Mullens, Nick CF17 Beathard, CJ 17/3            
  QB 3 WILSON, RUSSELL 12/3 SMITH, GENO U/LAC              

the team has been ignoring it to an obvious fault?...... by literally drafting one .....598 days ago.....  or was the vast evaluation period the 3 games the rookie 4th rounder got ?

backup QB, unless a fluke score-get, is sort of pointless, either your team is good enough to win with a backup qb for a few weeks, or they arent and it doesnt matter. 

a burrow-less bengals is a losing bengals for the most part.

i dont see shit on that list thats worth anything more than allen is really. anyone like Wentz, if cut or traded, is going to want to go somewhere wher they can start again soon, so good enough to start or bad enough to not matter. im not sure a veteran mentor for burrow matters either....

frankly backup qb might be 20th on the "things we need to fix" list.

To win you need in order (IMHO)

1 Franchise quality QB

2. Good offensive line (run and pass block)

3 an actual pass rush (good dline)

4 shutdown corner

5 A stud 3 down middle linebacker 

6 1 go to wide receiver ( think Hill,Thomas, Wes Welker or young Gronk). A guy who converts 3rd and 7. 

Great Olineman are rare and expensive. Great Olines are rare and short lived. Good is a reachable goal.  

You have to pay for a shutdown corner.  You have to have one in this league.  Ramsey’s move to Los Angeles has had a  profound effect on their now #1 defense. 

If you cant pressure the opponent’s QB, forget about winning big games. 

Running back and WR are the most overrated positions in football.  A good oline and QB makes stars out of good skill players. L’evon Bell’s move to the Jets is a good example of good oline verses bad oline.   Mixon didn’t become average overnight.  

7 hours ago, GoBengals said:

the team has been ignoring it to an obvious fault?...... by literally drafting one .....598 days ago.....  or was the vast evaluation period the 3 games the rookie 4th rounder got ?

backup QB, unless a fluke score-get, is sort of pointless, either your team is good enough to win with a backup qb for a few weeks, or they arent and it doesnt matter. 

a burrow-less bengals is a losing bengals for the most part.

i dont see shit on that list thats worth anything more than allen is really. anyone like Wentz, if cut or traded, is going to want to go somewhere wher they can start again soon, so good enough to start or bad enough to not matter. im not sure a veteran mentor for burrow matters either....

frankly backup qb might be 20th on the "things we need to fix" list.

The thing is a backup QB is easy to find.  Might cost you a couple mil for Colt McCoy or his equivalent, but those guys are way better than some rookie who panics at the first sign of pressure or can’t make a f’n decision and gets sacked all the time.  Just pay. 

17 minutes ago, SF2 said:

To win you need in order (IMHO)

1 Franchise quality QB

2. Good offensive line (run and pass block)

3 an actual pass rush (good dline)

4 shutdown corner

5 A stud 3 down middle linebacker 

6 1 go to wide receiver ( think Hill,Thomas or young Gronk). A guy who converts 3rd and 7. 

Pretty good list except #5 should be flipped with #6 and it doesn’t matter if it’s a MLB, WLB or SLB as long as they can read plays, run, and cover. Tall task in today’s NFL. 

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Pretty good list except #5 should be flipped with #6 and it doesn’t matter if it’s a MLB, WLB or SLB as long as they can read plays, run, and cover. Tall task in today’s NFL. 

Good points.  

Archived