Marvin Lewis job prospects

High School Harry

Jets Wire

Should Jets be the team that gives Marvin Lewis a second chance?

Tyler Calvaruso
Thu, December 10, 2020, 10:11 AM EST

It might not be much longer before Marvin Lewis is back coaching in the NFL.

Lewis has worked at Arizona State under Herm Edwards since being let go as Bengalshead coach in 2018. Lewis worked as a special advisor under Edwards in 2019 before taking on more responsibility as co-defensive coordinator this season. His tenure in that role could be short-lived, though, as Lewis could be destined for a return to the professional ranks as soon as this offseason, according to NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah. That rumor prompted ex-Jet and ESPN analyst Damien Woody to tweet, “I would rather the Jets go the Marvin Lewis route than hot shot coordinator route.”

While Lewis does deserve a second chance, it shouldn’t come with Gang Green.

Adam Gase’s days as Jets head coach are undoubtedly numbered. Before long, Joe Douglas will likely be scouring the market for his replacement. There are numerous intriguing candidates to succeed Gase as New York’s head coach and while Lewis is not a bad one by any stretch, he doesn’t make much sense considering the current situation New York finds itself in.

Jets fans would probably take seven trips to the postseason in 16 years with the way things have gone lately, but Douglas is shooting higher than simply participating in the playoffs. He wants to win big. Hiring a head coach with an 0-7 career playoff record is not exactly the best way to accomplish that.

There is no denying that Lewis is a bright football mind. He revived an essentially dormant Bengals franchise and is well respected in NFL circles for what he has achieved throughout his career. Lewis also crossed paths with Douglas when he was the Ravens’ defensive coordinator in the early 2000s and Douglas was working as a scout for Baltimore, so he has familiarity working in his favor when it comes to the Jets’ impending vacancy.

That shouldn’t be enough to land him in the Big Apple, though. The Jets need a fresh face leading them into the future, not one who is synonymous with playoff loss after playoff loss. The fact that Lewis has a defensive background also doesn’t help him, but more importantly, now is the time for New York to be bold and take a chance on a promising, young coach with the potential to take the organization to new heights.

Lewis deserves a second chance in the NFL. He just does not fall quite in line with what the Jets need out of their next head coach.

12 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

"Thanks coach Lewis for coming in, we'll let you know of our final decision. Since you're here, you mind having a look at some of this tape on your former team and hooking us up with some intel?"

I kid, he's damn near 2 years removed from this team. But the people here are freaking out and don't want to hire him - I think he's a really good coach. I wonder if he will blow it by insisting on bringing Hue with him.

1 hour ago, Cat said:

"Thanks coach Lewis for coming in, we'll let you know of our final decision. Since you're here, you mind having a look at some of this tape on your former team and hooking us up with some intel?"

That could be the best thing to happen to us.

Or the worse if you are thinking Suck for Sewell, Penei fot your thoughts.

I was thinking all the way through the POSburgh game and after that that was one Marvin

would have lost and probably in the last two minutes  in classic Marvin form.

Sit on the lead, play prevent and prevent nothing, *clapclapclap*.

On 12/26/2020 at 7:49 PM, tibor75 said:

You would have to be pretty stupid to give a head coaching opportunity to Marvin "0-7" Lewis.   He is aging and accomplished nothing of note during his prime. 

IDK how you can watch the rapid slide back in to the dumpster since he left & say that.  I think he was completely burnt out (Bungalized) here & needed to go but at the same time it's clear to me that he was one of the few things keeping this team at all relevant.   I would agree he's maybe a better GM than coach but at this point it seems he was the only voice in the room with half a clue.  

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

IDK how you can watch the rapid slide back in to the dumpster since he left & say that.  I think he was completely burnt out (Bungalized) here & needed to go but at the same time it's clear to me that he was one of the few things keeping this team at all relevant.   I would agree he's maybe a better GM than coach but at this point it seems he was the only voice in the room with half a clue.  

The biggest knock on him is his putrid playoff record.  You could argue he was the victim of horrible luck:

1.  Arguably his two best teams that were each playing at home lost a playoff game b/c they were missing their starting QB (Plamer and Dalton)

2.  He lost two at Houston (one with a rookie Dullton) and another at Indianapolis where they had a bunch of injuries

But how to explain the eggs against SD and Jets.  Purely Palmer and Dalton's fault who each played like total shit? 

1. They had the lead in both games

2. Each game was at home.   The SD game was played at home where they had gone 8-0.

3. Cedric Benson went for over 140 yards against NYJ.  And they still lost by 10.  Didn't help that Pyrite Graham shanked two FGs. 

If he was young he would deserve another shot.  But he's not. 

11 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

If he was young he would deserve another shot.  But he's not. 

He's in the top end of average really, right in there with a bunch of guys like Zimmer, Belichick, Carroll, Reid..

IIRC Jermaine Gresham stunk up that first Houston game.  He dropped 3-4 critical passes that would've made a big difference if not outright won the game.  

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

New Jersey or Detroit..  Yeesh.  Think I'd stay retired.

I would think he's got a good job where he is - working where he built that really nice house in Arizona, coaching young men with their careers all ahead of them... must be a need to satisfy that huge ego.

Archived