Ex-bengal Ekom Udofia killed in police shooting

Sad.  I don't remember him as a Bengal at all.

He went to Stanford so he must have been pretty smart.  Remember Stanley Wilson Jr?  He also went to Stanford and had mental health issues after being drafted by Detroit.  Last I heard of him, he was arrested for being outside naked.

8 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

As far as I can tell he never appeared in a game.  Must have been a TC filler guy.  Looks like he did the same with the Saints.

Of course, anyone that so much as drove by the stadium is a "former Bengal" in the media when they get in some kind of trouble.

12 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

He went to Stanford so he must have been pretty smart.  Remember Stanley Wilson Jr?  He also went to Stanford and had mental health issues after being drafted by Detroit.  Last I heard of him, he was arrested for being outside naked.

Shame a young guy passes to soon..

I dont recall him..

My vision of Stanley Wilson has not running but in a fetal position on the floor of the hotel before the SB..

Im not mocking him..i hope he finds the light again someday..

16 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Shame a young guy passes to soon..

I dont recall him..

My vision of Stanley Wilson has not running but in a fetal position on the floor of the hotel before the SB..

Im not mocking him..i hope he finds the light again someday..

Not Jr that was Sr.  Jr went to Stanford and Sr. went to Oklahoma.  Jr. had mental health issues and Sr. had drug issues.

29 minutes ago, CalifBengalfan said:

I disagree, drug issues are a choice.

IMHO, Uncle Earl has a valid point.  A drug addict's choice is skewed by something going wrong upstairs.  Whether it started with mental health issues or not there will eventually be something wrong upstairs in the noggin.

3 hours ago, CalifBengalfan said:

I disagree, drug issues are a choice.

Sometimes.  Sometimes people just party themselves into an addiction problem.  A lot of the time people use drugs, including alcohol, to self medicate mental health issues. Getting mental health treatment can be very difficult even if you can afford it, much less if you can’t. 

5 hours ago, Numbers said:

IMHO, Uncle Earl has a valid point.  A drug addict's choice is skewed by something going wrong upstairs.  Whether it started with mental health issues or not there will eventually be something wrong upstairs in the noggin.

But my statement is that mental health issues are not a choice, if someone starts doing drugs the possibility is there eventually they get themselves in some kind of trouble or worse depending on the drugs and that doesn`t happen if they are not lured by drugs alchohol etc.

49 minutes ago, CalifBengalfan said:

But my statement is that mental health issues are not a choice, if someone starts doing drugs the possibility is there eventually they get themselves in some kind of trouble or worse depending on the drugs and that doesn`t happen if they are not lured by drugs alchohol etc.

Dude, alcohol is the ultimate gateway drug.  It’s socially accepted and leads many with mental health issues down a tough road.  Most folks don’t live in a household where alcohol is forbidden. 

29 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Dude, alcohol is the ultimate gateway drug.  It’s socially accepted and leads many with mental health issues down a tough road.  Most folks don’t live in a household where alcohol is forbidden. 

Not saying alcohol or drugs are forbidden, just saying they are a choice people make. But in this sentence you are saying people with mental health issues choosing alcohol or drugs. That was not my argument and the loss of someones life due to mental illness even if they used drugs or alcohol for their issues is sad.  My point was if someone uses drugs and alcohol and eventually loses control of their life that is on them... Might also be a sad story but when someone does it to themselves it was still choices they made in life. 

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Any details on this?  What was the guy doing or what was going on?

https://247sports.com/Article/Former-NFL-player-shot-killed-police-Ekom-Udofia-Cincinnati-Bengals-New-Orleans-Saints-Stanford-Cardinal-156520681/

Evidently jumping in and out of traffic and pointed a handgun (evidently a BB gun) at officers when they shot him. He had mental problems so maybe he wasn't lucid. Or suicide by cop.

1 hour ago, CalifBengalfan said:

Not saying alcohol or drugs are forbidden, just saying they are a choice people make. But in this sentence you are saying people with mental health issues choosing alcohol or drugs. That was not my argument and the loss of someones life due to mental illness even if they used drugs or alcohol for their issues is sad.  My point was if someone uses drugs and alcohol and eventually loses control of their life that is on them... Might also be a sad story but when someone does it to themselves it was still choices they made in life. 

“Choosing alcohol or drugs” is a loaded statement.  Tons of people casually use alcohol and marijuana with minimal issues.  How are people to know they have mental health issues that make taking alcohol or weed a big risk?  Our society has tried prohibition.  It was a huge failure. 

12 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

“Choosing alcohol or drugs” is a loaded statement.  Tons of people casually use alcohol and marijuana with minimal issues.  How are people to know they have mental health issues that make taking alcohol or weed a big risk?  Our society has tried prohibition.  It was a huge failure. 

You are right, “Choosing alcohol or drugs” is a loaded statement. It is hard to be put in peoples shoes and know what they go through in life to be where they are at, no argument there.  Not sure where your comment on prohibition or households that don`t allow alchohol is going.  I am not a saint or pretend to be one and again you are commenting on people with mental health issues using alcohol or drugs. My argument was and still is there is a difference between someone having mental health issues as a cause for their situation or someone who just got into alcohol or drugs and as a result bad shit can happen to them or worse someone else. Not trying to make a big deal about it but just stated that one is not the same or just like the other. 

39 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Our society never tried prohibition, the Federal government did.  Very few States or rather Cities ever enforced it. Too much money involved for the local police to NOT look away.   

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

Our society never tried prohibition, the Federal government did.  Very few States or rather Cities ever enforced it. Too much money involved for the local police to NOT look away.   

Money and desire from people to consume alcohol. 

9 hours ago, CalifBengalfan said:

You are right, “Choosing alcohol or drugs” is a loaded statement. It is hard to be put in peoples shoes and know what they go through in life to be where they are at, no argument there.  Not sure where your comment on prohibition or households that don`t allow alchohol is going.  I am not a saint or pretend to be one and again you are commenting on people with mental health issues using alcohol or drugs. My argument was and still is there is a difference between someone having mental health issues as a cause for their situation or someone who just got into alcohol or drugs and as a result bad shit can happen to them or worse someone else. Not trying to make a big deal about it but just stated that one is not the same or just like the other. 

I wasn’t sure where you were coming from either.  Addiction happens from many causes. Some are solely the responsibility of the person and others a lot more murky. Some folks just can’t drink socially.  Some folks can. Some folks can take pain medication and it helps their life.  Many it sends them into a horrible spiral of opioid use disorder. Others just want to party and bad things happen. I think we’re pretty close here.  

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Money and desire from people to consume alcohol. 

Yep. Most urban police departments of that era were corrupt as hell.  It wasn’t until the  1970s when the Knapp commission exposed the rampant corruption in New York City’s police department did the tide begin to turn. 

The dirty cops were making a killing during prohibition and honest cops knew better than to cross them. 

We are pretty much ignoring most drug use now. The country best figure out a way to deal with the aftermath to include the mental health aspect. 

23 minutes ago, SF2 said:

We are pretty much ignoring most drug use now. The country best figure out a way to deal with the aftermath to include the mental health aspect. 

We can't figure out regular health care, where are the dollars going to come for mental health?  They aren't. 

21 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

We can't figure out regular health care, where are the dollars going to come for mental health?  They aren't. 

Probably right.  Addicts and those with mental health issues probably don’t donate much to political campaigns and probably don’t vote often  either. Just sweep em under the rug, they have a $1000 a plate campaign stop to get to. 

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I wasn’t sure where you were coming from either.  Addiction happens from many causes. Some are solely the responsibility of the person and others a lot more murky. Some folks just can’t drink socially.  Some folks can. Some folks can take pain medication and it helps their life.  Many it sends them into a horrible spiral of opioid use disorder. Others just want to party and bad things happen. I think we’re pretty close here.  

Agree 

https://youtu.be/VnF-JmE5NUA

Official Police video of Udofia attempted arrest. Pretty hard to watch. This young man had some definite issues. Not sure if this even sounds right but hope he's somehow found peace 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VnF-JmE5NUA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archived