Paul Guenther just got fired

Guenther must have really been horrible to get fired in mid December. In fact he must have been a disaster

He'd probably be better than Lou A but I agree with SF2. I know Zimmer loves him so he might end up in Minny but who knows if Zimmer will even be there

I agree that I do not want Paul Guenther back even though he had Top 10 defenses twice as Defensive Coordinator and all four seasons he was in the top half of the league. But, I want to defend the guy a bit. In 2020, Las Vegas spent $52 million more on offense than on defense including more at backup QB than the entire CB position. My understanding is that is the biggest disparity amongst offense/defense as per spending in the entire league. A little difficult to make art out of trash.

Defensive DVOA:

2013 (Zimmer's last year): 5th

2014: 14th

2015: 10th

2016: 18th

2017: 21st

Guenther was fortunate to take over an incredible situation with the Bengals. He's not so incompetent that he destroyed it, but he's also nothing special in that he really never was able to add anything to it. He basically held onto a good thing until there wasn't much left of it. 

Regarding the (lack of) investment in the Raiders defense:

Since Guenther arrived in 2018, they have used the below draft capital on defense:

2018: 2nd and 3rd round

2019: 1st, 1st, 2nd

2020: 2nd, 3rd

In terms of Free Agency:

2018: Whitehead (LB), Carradine (DE)

2019: Joyner (S, Hankins (DT),

2020: Kwiatkoski (LB), Littleton (LB), Nassib (DE), 

4 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Defensive DVOA:

2013 (Zimmer's last year): 5th

2014: 14th

2015: 10th

2016: 18th

2017: 21st

Guenther was fortunate to take over an incredible situation with the Bengals. He's not so incompetent that he destroyed it, but he's also nothing special in that he really never was able to add anything to it. He basically held onto a good thing until there wasn't much left of it. 

I will play Devil’s Advocate.  In the last 6 years the Bengals have had 12 picks in the 1st and 2nd round.  2 of those picks were used on defenders.  The organization has never taken defense  seriously until it becomes obviously horrible. 

17 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I will play Devil’s Advocate.  In the last 6 years the Bengals have had 12 picks in the 1st and 2nd round.  2 of those picks were used on defenders.  The organization has never taken defense  seriously until it becomes obviously horrible. 

During the Marvin years it seemed that the Bengals took a CB every other year. 

39 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I was being sarcastic. A poster wrote that the Raiders cap was weighted significantly to the offense.

Maybe so, but through the draft and free agency, the Raiders have used significantly more resources than the Bengals have. 

If he couldn't succeed with the Raiders, he certainly wouldn't succeed with the Bengals.

He won't be walking into prime Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Vontaze Burfict, Michael Johnson this time. 

14 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I was being sarcastic. A poster wrote that the Raiders cap was weighted significantly to the offense.

Maybe so, but through the draft and free agency, the Raiders have used significantly more resources than the Bengals have. 

If he couldn't succeed with the Raiders, he certainly wouldn't succeed with the Bengals.

He won't be walking into prime Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Vontaze Burfict, Michael Johnson this time. 

No to Guenther..he likely be a position ciach the rest of his career..

He reminds me of Mike McCarthy..

How's ole Mike doin without Rogers now?

Archived