1st round curse

Had to look it up to be sure but it seemed the Bengals misfortune with 1st round picks missing most if not all of their rookie seasons.  Since 2012:

• Cedric Ogbuehi, 2015: Appeared in just five games after rehabbing.
    • William Jackson, 2016: Missed season after tearing pectoral in camp.
    • John Ross, 2017: Graduation and injuries limited him to three games, 17 snaps.
    • Billy Price, 2018: Combine pectoral injury, early-season injury limited him to 10 games.
    • Jonah Williams, 2019: missed entire season with torn labrum
    • Joe Burrow, 2020: missed final 6 games from freak knee injury tearing ACL and MCL

One can take this back even farther too. Darqueze Dennard (2014) and Dre Kirkpatrick (2012) didn’t see many snaps as rookies.

That is some serious bad luck/karma/ whatever you want to call it. I didn’t bother looking but my guess is no other franchise comes close to matching that. 

1 hour ago, palmer4mvp said:

That is some serious bad luck/karma/ whatever you want to call it.

Call it meddlesome owners that stubbornly refuse to hire too many people that might contradict them (scouts, a HC with any clout, whichever)  It's not a mystery. Someone like Tobin doesn't stick around for decades (and get his Dad a job too!) by arguing with the bosses very often. 

The culture is one of nepotism and ready excuses.  We can't do anything about the first part but we can at least agree to reject the latter. Luck had nothing to do with it.  

12 hours ago, palmer4mvp said:

Had to look it up to be sure but it seemed the Bengals misfortune with 1st round picks missing most if not all of their rookie seasons.  Since 2012:

• John Ross, 2017: Graduation and injuries limited him to three games, 17 snaps.
    • Billy Price, 2018: Combine pectoral injury, early-season injury limited him to 10 games.
    • Joe Burrow, 2020: missed final 6 games from freak knee injury tearing ACL and MCL

One can take this back even farther too. Darqueze Dennard (2014) and Dre Kirkpatrick (2012) didn’t see many snaps as rookies.

That is some serious bad luck/karma/ whatever you want to call it. I didn’t bother looking but my guess is no other franchise comes close to matching that. 

You forgot Tyler Eifert in 2013. He got knocked out with a stinger in the 2nd to last game.

12 hours ago, palmer4mvp said:

It is not really bad luck - Price, Og and Ross came out injured or had some significant injury questions. Jonah - there was some evidence he had that injured shoulder in his final year. Jackson should have played in the final few games in his rookie year but ML decided to bring back Peerman off the IR instead of giving him important reps. 

The only curse this organization has is the Brown family. 

Archived