“The Annual Embarrassment on National TV vs. Pisspuke “ thread.

27 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Good points, I think if Sewell had actually played this season it would be more likely someone would trade up a few spots for him (assuming he was still lights out). Now to trade up for a young player (he is only 20) who passed on this year is substantial risk. 

The real interesting exercise for us will be - what happens if the Jets DO take Sewell? I would assume various teams, before the draft would approach the Bengals with possible scenarios knowing that if Sewell was taken at #2 the Bengals may want to move down. If Sewell is there at 3 we take him and that is a no brainer. But if he is not there, they had better have some pre-determined scenarios to move to. 

I think the smartest thing for the Bengals is of course to trade down at that point.  If they can't get a suitable deal the question then becomes who is next best (which has its own thread of course), and I for one think it has to be a front 7 defensive player.  Knowing MB, though, it'll most likely be Ja'Marr Chase.

45 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

I think the smartest thing for the Bengals is of course to trade down at that point.  If they can't get a suitable deal the question then becomes who is next best (which has its own thread of course), and I for one think it has to be a front 7 defensive player.  Knowing MB, though, it'll most likely be Ja'Marr Chase.

Winner, winner chicken dinner.  BOOM.

1 hour ago, HavePityPlease said:

I for one think it has to be a front 7 defensive player. 

Depends on whether or not they can hold onto WJ3. If they can't, then they're gonna have to take a long hard look at whoever the top CB turns out to be, IMO. 

59 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Depends on whether or not they can hold onto WJ3. If they can't, then they're gonna have to take a long hard look at whoever the top CB turns out to be, IMO. 

Sad but true.  But that to me spells taking a "less ideal" trade than the hypothetical "suitable" one I mentioned in the previous post.  In other words, the more needs we have at draft time the more necessary to find a trade that gives us more picks.

With that said I'm not actually someone who's in the camp of "a few lottery wins in the draft" is going to solve our problems, far from it.

8 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

With that said I'm not actually someone who's in the camp of "a few lottery wins in the draft" is going to solve our problems, far from it.

Me neither but as Bengals fans, that’s our unfortunate reality. 

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

Depends on whether or nol8tr okt they can hold onto WJ3. If they can't, then they're gonna have to take a long hard look at whoever the top CB turns out to be, IMO. 

Im believing the Bengals will resign

Jackson and Lawson on defense.

Theyre not the problem.. theyre part of the solution on D..

8 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Take the Penni issue off the table. Go get one of the best available OL FAs. There will be suitors for the draft pick, or take Chase.

Those top FA tackles will get huge contracts..

I believe Jax will sign Trent Williams for allmost 20mil a yr..

Lots of good receivers in the draft..

Stay with the Oline and front 7 in the first couple rounds..

5 hours ago, spicoli said:

This would be a dreadful selection. No way in hell do you take a CB at #3. Offensive line, defensive line or trade back. At very worst maybe Micah Parsons but I don’t even like that idea. Adding a CB does nothing to improve this team at all.

51 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Gotta say it:  If your first reaction is to beg the ref for a flag & only then do you proceed to "writhe in pain",  you're probably flopping.  Ol' fashioned Stiller footbawwwww 😭  GTFO the field.

I thought exactly the same thing.  The hypocrisy of the Stealers just kills me.  Love it when they get a taste of their own medicine but it usually backfires for us.

21 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Take the Penni issue off the table. Go get one of the best available OL FAs. There will be suitors for the draft pick, or take Chase.

Man, I hope the team doesn't pass on Sewell or take Chase. I'm onboard with signing a top interior OL in free agency. Thuney and Scherff are the best available. Thuney would be my preference as he's younger and healthier. Pay the man and still draft Sewell. Make the O-line a strength not a liability. Hire Mike Munchak for O-line coach if Fangio is out in Denver.  The next few years should be about protecting Burrow and giving him weapons. Protection has to be first as our current O-line is bad and we've seen what happens to QBs behind it. Replace some 5th quintile guys with 2nd or 3rd quintile guys and give them good coaching. Once the O-line is fixed we can use a 2nd-4th round pick a year on weapons for Burrow and the other picks on defense. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Man, I hope the team doesn't pass on Sewell or take Chase. I'm onboard with signing a top interior OL in free agency. Thuney and Scherff are the best available. Thuney would be my preference as he's younger and healthier. Pay the man and still draft Sewell. Make the O-line a strength not a liability. Hire Mike Munchak for O-line coach if Fangio is out in Denver.  The next few years should be about protecting Burrow and giving him weapons. Protection has to be first as our current O-line is bad and we've seen what happens to QBs behind it. Replace some 5th quintile guys with 2nd or 3rd quintile guys and give them good coaching. Once the O-line is fixed we can use a 2nd-4th round pick a year on weapons for Burrow and the other picks on defense. 

I like it..😊

On 12/23/2020 at 3:04 AM, Le Tigre said:

Hope you had a great time, Harry. I was trying to remember the last time I walked out of the building after a win over them. It’ll come to me. 

When we rallied against the Seahawks and won in OT?

You called it that game at the end of the 3rd, that we could win!

😁

On 12/22/2020 at 5:59 PM, claptonrocks said:

Those top FA tackles will get huge contracts..

We're starting Bobby Hart and Taters the Hobo, we don't need "top FA tackles" to upgrade the position.  Any healthy & halfway capable starter would be an upgrade.  All we need are a couple of OTs that can stay on the field all season and not be a total shitshow.

In other words, there are options besides signingTrent Williams and doing nothing but praying the magic beans sprout this time.  

1 hour ago, spicoli said:
15 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

No...not this week..

This is the Sewell Bowl..

Go DeShawn!!

Suck for Sewell

or

Choke for Chase

if he's not there.  Warming up to that idea more and more.

Just hoping we remain at 3 rather than dropping into the high mid round pick abyss, home

of John Ross, among others.  Our 2-7 round picks will drop proportionately, too.

On 12/22/2020 at 5:53 PM, ArmyBengal said:

Why don't we do both?  Seems like the smart move to me; draft pick for the long term & a FA for the short term or in case we miss out on Sewell, Williams is hurt for the 3rd year in a row, etc.  If everything goes right we play the FA at guard instead, but how often does everything go right on an NFL roster?

Archived