Dead Cat Bounce

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I've seen two posts from this guy in the past two weeks.  None of which had anything to do with football, nor the Bengals.  He doesn't even come on here to celebrate a win or say Fuck the Stealers.  He comes here for one thing, to attack another poster.  Often to suggest they should be banned.  100% troll. 

TBH it's usually something about my dick or otherwise cringe & weirdly sexual, but I put him on ignore a long time ago.   Figure he needs to work some things out for himself.

On 12/22/2020 at 6:11 PM, claptonrocks said:

Why would dropping a few spots in the draft help them..

I want the 3 pick..

Not the 5th or 6th..

Yeah, that’s like the Jets saying, “There are plenty of other QB prospects in this draft, we don’t need Lawrence.”

BTW, I fully expect the Jets to stick with Darnold and pick Sewell. 

On 12/22/2020 at 8:11 PM, spicoli said:

Sewell would simply fix one position....just like Burrow did. I know I've said this before but, a top 5 pick is absolutely supposed to come in and be a factor from day one. It doesn't matter what team.

I just don't don't get the gripe. You've fixed two of the most important positions on the field with the addition of Sewell. Why is it a problem that they would count on those picks?

Actually, I think he fixes the entire unit.  Williams switches to Right Tackle, Hart moves to right guard and damn, that is a pretty decent looking line.  

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, that’s like the Jets saying, “There are plenty of other QB prospects in this draft, we don’t need Lawrence.”

I don't.  If the Jets decide to keep Darnold as QB, then they are in position to auction the pick to a QB needy team. In theory someone could trade up for Sewell but teams pay more for QBs so anyone trading up to pick 2 will pay more for the QB of their choice. Jets took a LT last year who has had a good season. Pick 2 is probably slightly too high for Parsons, Chase, or a CB. 

My guess is the Jets keep the pick and use it on a QB. Darnold hasn't lived up to expectations and is about to become expensive. Taking a rookie QB won't leave them much worse off than at present on the field while letting them build a better team around him. If they get better play from their next free agents than they got from Trumaine Johnson, CJ Mosley, Avery Williamson, and Leveon Bell, they may have a chance. 

36 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Surely the Jets aren't sticking with Gase for another year are they? 

If they bring in a new coach that guy is gonna want his own QB to groom. Hard to believe that guy won't be Fields or Wilson.

That is the BIG question for them. I think though, the Jets GM may make the 'Darnold or move on' decision and then pick a coach that agrees with that

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

Maybe...I dont see it.

They drafted a franchise LT in Bechton..

So theyre going to take this years best LT and stick him at RT?..

They can draft a RT in round 2 ..

They have other holes to fill..

15 hours ago, SF2 said:

Actually, I think he fixes the entire unit.  Williams switches to Right Tackle, Hart moves to right guard and damn, that is a pretty decent looking line.  

Williams needs to survive a full season before we can realistically count on him in the long term.  Of course the FO seems fine with building a roster out of guys that don't actually play football very often.

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Williams needs to survive a full season before we can realistically count on him in the long term.  Of course the FO seems fine with building a roster out of guys that don't actually play football very often.

Williams’ injury isn’t serious and he got rolled up on pretty badly.  It is not like Eifert or Ross getting injured in the huddle.   He would probably be playing this week if it mattered. 

16 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Maybe...I dont see it.

They drafted a franchise LT in Bechton..

So theyre going to take this years best LT and stick him at RT?..

They can draft a RT in round 2 ..

They have other holes to fill..

Good points.  Still two stud lineman in rookie contracts?  That would be nice.  The biggest hole is at head coach.  Why Gase was hired is a mystery to me.  The players in Miami hated him.  

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

Good points.  Still two stud lineman in rookie contracts?  That would be nice.  The biggest hole is at head coach.  Why Gase was hired is a mystery to me.  The players in Miami hated him.  

Lets say Sewell isnt on the board..Now who?

In order Id take 

1. Micah Parsons..

2. Greg Rousseau

3..Kyle Pitts

I know Chase is a high flyer but Pitts is such a mismatch..

Not like JB couldn't

use another receiving TE...

Hes growing on me and apparently the league bigtime..

They could also trade down but Id want 2 first rounders this year..

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

Williams’ injury isn’t serious and he got rolled up on pretty badly.  It is not like Eifert or Ross getting injured in the huddle.   He would probably be playing this week if it mattered. 

2 trips to the IR in two seasons should be a concern regardless. If he's hurt again next year we both know they'll just call it bad luck and act surprised when he's hurt again the year after that.

Not saying they should cut the guy but it would be smart to recognize a pattern is emerging and take the necessary steps so there is a Plan B. But that's not the Bengal way.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

2 trips to the IR in two seasons should be a concern regardless. If he's hurt again next year we both know they'll just call it bad luck and act surprised when he's hurt again the year after that.

Not saying they should cut the guy but it would be smart to recognize a pattern is emerging and take the necessary steps so there is a Plan B. But that's not the Bengal way.

Did you see the play he got hurt on?  The fact he is not seriously hurt is actually a positive sign not negative.   Eifert got hurt getting tacked.  Ross got hurt getting the mail. 

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

Did you see the play he got hurt on?  The fact he is not seriously hurt is actually a positive sign not negative.   Eifert got hurt getting tacked.  Ross got hurt getting the mail. 

So you're good with Taters the Dancing Hobo as his back-up?

On 12/22/2020 at 11:09 PM, T-Dub said:

The mistake was in thinking that Burrow was Superman and could come in as a rookie and fix everything.  That strategy having ended in total disaster, we now project the entire 2021 season on to the back of Sewell - another untested rookie who isn't even a member of the team yet.  

Expecting rookies to come in and singlehandedly fix this team is a mistake, yes.   "Counting on" them is one thing, expecting them to carry the entire franchise is quite another.

Absolutely nobody expected this. At all.

30 minutes ago, OU_Stripes said:

Absolutely nobody expected this. At all.

Ah, that must be why we went to such great lengths to put a solid OL in front of him, being a rookie QB and all.  Just bad luck that he was on pace to be the most sacked rookie QB in NFL history before the totally surprising injury that no one could've seen coming.

18 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Lets say Sewell isnt on the board..Now who?

In order Id take 

1. Micah Parsons..

2. Greg Rousseau

3..Kyle Pitts

I know Chase is a high flyer but Pitts is such a mismatch..

Not like JB couldn't

use another receiving TE...

Hes growing on me and apparently the league bigtime..

They could also trade down but Id want 2 first rounders this year..

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/lists/cincinnati-bengals-2021-nfl-draft-first-round-targets/

Here’s a quick look at some of the top targets there right now.

Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

b60a848321e14496a3efdef7a3c2a02c.jpg

FILE – In this Aug. 31, 2019, file photo, Oregon offensive lineman Penei Sewell (58) looks on as Oregon plays Auburn in an NCAA college football game, in Arlington, Texas. Sewell was selected to The Associated Press All-Pac 12 Conference team, and tied for Offensive Player of the Year with Utah quarterback Tyler Huntley and Utah running back Zack Moss, Thursday, Dec. 12, 2019. (AP Photo/Ron Jenkins, File)

Sewell projects as one of the best offensive tackles to enter the draft in quite a few years and he’s young enough that his upside seems immense. Drafting him would probably mean shifting Jonah Williams to right tackle, but either way it would shore up the tackle spots. Sewell, by the way, seems to like the idea of landing with the Bengals.

Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU

USATSI_13904722.jpg

Ja’Marr Chase scores a touchdown as The LSU Tigers take on The Clemson Tigers in the 2020 College Football Playoff National Championship. Monday, Jan. 13, 2020.
Cfp Monday Half1 0695

It’s hard to imagine the Bengals go wideout. But if they do — Joe Burrow happens to know a thing or two about Chase. They teamed up for more than 1,700 yards and 20 scores during their last season at LSU together. And Chase is just that good as a prospect that almost any team should feel comfortable with him in the top 10.

Rashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern

USATSI_10389593.jpg

Oct 28, 2017; Evanston, IL, USA; Northwestern Wildcats offensive lineman Rashawn Slater (70) in action during a game against the Michigan State Spartans at Ryan Field. Mandatory Credit: Patrick Gorski-USA TODAY Sports

Slater isn’t a big name, but he’s got the ability to play inside or out on the edges of a line at the next level. If the Bengals are taking him at third overall he’s a tackle regardless, and quite the intriguing prospect for the job on the right side. Doing so could also mean shaking free of Bobby Hart’s contract at right tackle.

Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida

USATSI_15288611.jpg

Dec 5, 2020; Knoxville, Tennessee, USA; Florida Gators tight end Kyle Pitts (84) during the first half against the Tennessee Volunteers at Neyland Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Randy Sartin-USA TODAY Sports

Tight end isn’t the team’s biggest need by any means but Pitts is a name to keep in mind if Cincinnati trades back. He’s an elite playmaker, hence the 770 yards and 12 touchdowns this season, plus he’s a big 6’6” target. He’s getting mocked anywhere from six to 20 right now and he’d be an explosive addition for Burrow.

Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech

USATSI_13321901.jpg

Sep 7, 2019; Blacksburg, VA, USA; Virginia Tech Hokies running back Keshawn King 935) celebrates his first touch down with Christian Darrisaw (77) in the first period against the Old Dominion Monarchs at Lane Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Lee Luther Jr.-USA TODAY Sports

Darrisaw made himself a household name this year by not coughing up any sacks en route to an elite grade in all facets. He’s a ridiculously athletic talent, which hints at booming upside. He’s a good example of why trading back from three and still superbly addressing the offensive line is a really good option this year.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I would say Chase is the only one worth the third pick in the draft if Sewell is gone which I believe is becoming more of a possibility unless the Jets trade out of the second slot.  Or the Jags win a game and give number one back to them or we win a game or two and drop to hind tit  picks.

Also with this article, some interesting food for thought for our high second round pick.

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Ah, that must be why we went to such great lengths to put a solid OL in front of him, being a rookie QB and all.  Just bad luck that he was on pace to be the most sacked rookie QB in NFL history before the totally surprising injury that no one could've seen coming.

You realize that only the worst of the worst teams find themselves picking number 1 overall right? How many times do you think that pick gets to go into a situation where everything is set up for him right off the bat? Teams picking that high have a whole plethora of needs, way too many to be addressed all in one off-season. 

9 hours ago, spicoli said:

You realize that only the worst of the worst teams find themselves picking number 1 overall right? How many times do you think that pick gets to go into a situation where everything is set up for him right off the bat? Teams picking that high have a whole plethora of needs, way too many to be addressed all in one off-season. 

Sure but putting all that on the back of the latest top 10 draft pick is a good way to ensure you keep getting those top 10 draft picks.  We keep expecting these rookies to carry the team and here we are again.  We put them in a situation with poor coaching and no solid veterans to lean on & then wonder why they don't succeed.   

Draft picks won't fix this team.

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Sure but putting all that on the back of the latest top 10 draft pick is a good way to ensure you keep getting those top 10 draft picks.

But that's what they do and that's who they are. That is quite literally all we can go by. 

10 minutes ago, spicoli said:

But that's what they do and that's who they are. That is quite literally all we can go by. 

They tried to stock their defense with FA vets that could help..

Most got injured..nfl life it is.

This year there arent any FA olinemen 

we'll acquire..unless yoy want a mediocre player for big bucks...

The answer is in the coaching techniques ..

Turner us bad at this..at everything actually..i

Replace him and the Olinmen will improve...

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I don't believe that.  We've had good teams in the past.  Was that all Marvin Lewis?

Uh yeah. Just like it was all Sam Wyche and just like it was all Forrest Gregg. That's our reward as loyal Bengal fans...one great moment every now and again scattered sparingly among a whole lot of failure. 

5 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

They tried to stock their defense with FA vets that could help..

Most got injured..nfl life it is.

This year there arent any FA olinemen 

we'll acquire..unless yoy want a mediocre player for big bucks...

The answer is in the coaching techniques ..

Turner us bad at this..at everything actually..i

Replace him and the Olinmen will improve...

Hey here's hopin 🍻

11 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Uh yeah. Just like it was all Sam Wyche and just like it was all Forrest Gregg. That's our reward as loyal Bengal fans...one great moment every now and again scattered sparingly among a whole lot of failure. 

Then it's just a question of how bad they need to be & for how long before they'll hire someone that halfway knows what they're doing and, more importantly, listen to them.

Archived