Joe Burrow Update

On the one hand it's great to see and on the other just pisses me off again at the total dipshit negligence of the team to let it come to that.  Give me some reason to think they won't write off the most sacked rookie QB in NFL history getting injured as some kind of fluke.

11 hours ago, High School Harry said:

He ought to sue his bird legs for lack of support.

You joke, but just about every rookie player I've seen has been undersized by NFL standards at their position.   Spending the next few months learning to walk & run again probably won't do much for him in that regard.

40+ pass attempts behind this OL makes me wish someone would Nancy Kerrigan KatieTroy, Turner and Boy Wonder.  I know he'll say all the right things in the media but I can't help wondering how Burrow truly feels about being shoved in the trunk of this clown car.

I guarantee ya that Burrow would have dropped back and thrown it on every single snap if they would have let him. That's just the competitor he is. That's exactly how he won a national championship and heisman trophy...by throwing it all over the yard. You can bitch about them not building the OL all you want but that's what they chose to do. It is what it is. You still put him in there because he absolutely gives you the best chance to win. 

4 hours ago, spicoli said:

I guarantee ya that Burrow would have dropped back and thrown it on every single snap if they would have let him. That's just the competitor he is. That's exactly how he won a national championship and heisman trophy...by throwing it all over the yard. You can bitch about them not building the OL all you want but that's what they chose to do. It is what it is. You still put him in there because he absolutely gives you the best chance to win. 

Well, we're 3-10-1 and hoping he's done with PT by the start of next season, so I'm going to go ahead and say that this was a ridiculously short-sighted decision.  They watched him get absolutely pummeled week after week in losing efforts & decided that was fine.  I can only think of a few reasons why they'd do that & none of them are good.

That's great that he wants to throw it every down, but he has an OC & a head coach who are supposed to be smarter than that to reign him in when need be as a rookie QB.  I know that's what he did in college, but this isn't college.  Instead the people who are supposed to be helping smooth that transition and ensure his continued success got caught up in all that hype & failed to do anything remotely like that in favor of more pass attempts than the most veteran future HoF QBs, Now we're cheering his ability to walk again.  

So y'know..  Yay, I guess.  I'm happy to see it for his sake but as a Bengals fan it's real bittersweet.

Can we change the way we talk about this "not building an O-line" and instead say they have done a extremely bad job over the past few years of building an O-line? 

Because it's not like they haven't been trying, they drafted players at both T positions that were complete busts, one of them out of the league already, drafted a C that has been replaced by a college free agent and at least done a cursory attempt at replacing at least one of the G positions with a backup from the texans that hasnt really done anything yet.

The problem isnt that we havent tried to address it, the problem is we've done a horrible job trying to address it. It's one thing to miss on one player or position, it's quite another to miss on so many from one position group. 

Whoever is doing the scouting for O-line really needs to be fired. 

On 12/26/2020 at 12:12 AM, T-Dub said:

On the one hand it's great to see and on the other just pisses me off again at the total dipshit negligence of the team to let it come to that.  

Dude - especially when I hear all the fellating going on with Tua and Herbert on what great rookie seasons they are having.

9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Well, we're 3-10-1 and hoping he's done with PT by the start of next season, so I'm going to go ahead and say that this was a ridiculously short-sighted decision.  They watched him get absolutely pummeled week after week in losing efforts & decided that was fine.  I can only think of a few reasons why they'd do that & none of them are good.

Welcome to life as a number one pick. Mostly they go to bad teams and get pummeled early and often, such is life. It is what it is. 

44 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Sorry I can only give you one +1.

Tuba and Hay Bear aren't good enough to kiss the Bayou Bengal Bengal's skinny ass.

It was funny, after last night's Dolphins game the first 'highlight package' I saw was a Tua package with "cool music" extolling his virtues and clips of announcers saying "Tua's team" and "dynamic" and other such things....... and once again Tua was replaced in the actual game so that they could win.  Just waiting for the "is he ROY?" talk to start when he's done nothing to earn it.

As for Herbert, his stats are nice enough but they aren't winning and he has a way better team on paper than Joe does/did.  Of course for ROY talk it'll likely really be between Herbert and Jefferson, and I would be perfectly happy if it was Jefferson.  At the end of the day the award means nothing, we all know (and likely all actual football people know) Joe was far and away the best rookie offensive player this year, he just "can't win" with so many games missed.  

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Can we change the way we talk about this "not building an O-line" and instead say they have done a extremely bad job over the past few years of building an O-line? 

Because it's not like they haven't been trying, they drafted players at both T positions that were complete busts, one of them out of the league already, drafted a C that has been replaced by a college free agent and at least done a cursory attempt at replacing at least one of the G positions with a backup from the texans that hasnt really done anything yet.

The problem isnt that we havent tried to address it, the problem is we've done a horrible job trying to address it. It's one thing to miss on one player or position, it's quite another to miss on so many from one position group. 

Whoever is doing the scouting for O-line really needs to be fired. 

Very true, and you didn't even mention the futile trade for Cordy Glenn and the strange fixation on Hart.  The Glenn move was born of desperation but propping up Hart makes no sense to me at all.  He must have incriminating photos, the guy is a liability on & off the field both.   It's not like he's some great talent that's starting to lose a step  :whistle:  he's just a guy out there and a homophobic anti-vax flat earth dimwit besides. I'm pretty sure you can, in fact, just go down to WalMart and find his replacement.

14 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Lets not give Mikey any more ideas....

See, you're thinking that their "WalMart" remark was a joke.   It wasn't.  They checked.  Tobin heard there might be a knee-bender stocking shelves at Home Depot but they couldn't afford to match his contract.

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

See, you're thinking that their "WalMart" remark was a joke.   It wasn't.  They checked.  Tobin heard there might be a knee-bender stocking shelves at Home Depot but they couldn't afford to match his contract.

LOL. I see, so he is now looking for a knee-bender stocking ketchup bottles on shelves at Walmart...

3 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

LOL. I see, so he is now looking for a knee-bender stocking ketchup bottles on shelves at Walmart...

They found Taters the Hobo down by the river & liked the way he pushed his cart.  Signed him for 3 years at $20 and all the ham sandwiches he can fit in his pockets.

40 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Very true, and you didn't even mention the futile trade for Cordy Glenn and the strange fixation on Hart.  The Glenn move was born of desperation but propping up Hart makes no sense to me at all.  He must have incriminating photos, the guy is a liability on & off the field both.   It's not like he's some great talent that's starting to lose a step  :whistle:  he's just a guy out there and a homophobic anti-vax flat earth dimwit besides. I'm pretty sure you can, in fact, just go down to WalMart and find his replacement.

Jeez the Glen thing completely escaped my mind. 

Seriously how Tobin is escaping wrath....

9 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Jeez the Glen thing completely escaped my mind. 

Seriously how Tobin is escaping wrath....

Wrath?  I don't think this FO has any of that.  Start holding people accountable and where does it end?

No, he will learn from it and move forward that way and so forth.

26 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Wrath?  I don't think this FO has any of that.  Start holding people accountable and where does it end?

No, he will learn from it and move forward that way and so forth.

Exactly, that is why accountability will never occur - it would mean the inbreds first have to look in the mirror. 

Archived