Bengals vs Texans Good Bad and Ugly

5 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

Good, we could still get the 3rd or 4th pick if Houston and Atl wins or just one and we lose.

Bad, we have the 5th pick right now.  

Ugly, we win and other teams like Philly and others lose and we drop even further in the draft order.  Possibly down to 10th, yep that far down. 

Good research and catch Mr J@w

For scoreboard watching next week its rooting for wins by

Texans (vs erratic Tenn)

Falcons (vs Tampa Brady)

and Eagles with whom we have matching records vs Washington.

Those three wins plus a loss by us to Baltimore could pop us back to third slot.

I don't think a loss by the Eagles would affect us assuming we get the higher pick by strength of schedule or something.

When the Falcons screwed the pooch missing the game tying field goal vs KC yesterday I thought they were playing

for the draft pick rather than the win.

My thoughts on yesterday's game was I can't recall ever feeling this bad about a Bengals win.

The worse thing to happen to us as far as draft position would be for us to beat Baltimore.

However, ESPN gives Baltimore a 91.6% chance of making the playoffs with a win so a playoff spot

is virtually in their hands with a win.  If they lose, they would have to hope the Browns and Colts lose.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30595770/nfl-playoff-picture-2020-week-16-standings-bracket-scenarios-outlook-postseason

6. Baltimore Ravens (10-5)

FPI chances to make playoffs: 91.6%
FPI chances to win division: Eliminated

Sunday's win over the Giants, combined with the Browns' loss to the Jets, pushed the Ravens back into the playoff picture. They've now won four consecutive games and aren't a team that anyone in the AFC would look forward to playing. To clinch a postseason spot, all they'll need to do is win in Cincinnati in Week 17. The Ravens also would get in if the Browns or Colts lose.

24 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

The people that would change the people making the picks are the people making the picks.

See the problem?

To be fair Duke Tobin was also in charge of scouting when we were killing it by drafting guys like Dunlap, Sanu and Atkins. Truth is he needs more scouts

11 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I see the problem but if they had any brains they would realize they have not been very good at picking players so they should hire people who are good at it. 

And you know for a fact that the chances of that happening are absolute zero, so..

17 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Tobin and his crew scout and make recommendations to Katy and Mike..

Katy huddles with Zac and JB as a council for their wants..

So the culprit in this scenario would be Ole Duke...

He should go now..

Once again..

Kary could pull the plug on Tobin ..

3 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Best thing we can hope for from Katie after her Dad departs is that she'll hire a real GM. I hope so

My impression is that she thinks she is the GM.   People who inherit lots of money tend to think they also inherited whatever skills made all that money.  It makes them feel more deserving.  They rarely change that opinion unless they run out of said money.

33 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

My impression is that she thinks she is the GM.   People who inherit lots of money tend to think they also inherited whatever skills made all that money.  It makes them feel more deserving.  They rarely change that opinion unless they run out of said money.

Or maybe just maybe she'd like to try 

to make this a solid team..

Hell just for the fun of it right?

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

lol just like her daddy thought he could run it like Paul . 

6 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

To be fair Duke Tobin was also in charge of scouting when we were killing it by drafting guys like Dunlap, Sanu and Atkins. Truth is he needs more scouts

His good picks are the outliers not the norm. The team us too clueless to see this. If he needs more scouts , which he does, he should have the balls to say so or quit and go to another team. Why go through the constant ringer washer for no reason?

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

His good picks are the outliers not the norm. The team us too clueless to see this. If he needs more scouts , which he does, he should have the balls to say so or quit and go to another team. Why go through the constant ringer washer for no reason?

Well, because he's getting paid a lot of money.  You expect him to fire himself or what?

11 hours ago, stryker57 said:

lol just like her daddy thought he could run it like Paul . 

The Bengals while Paul Brown coached never won a playoff game.  As owner the team did make the Super Bowl twice but also had 2 - 5 year stretches of missing the playoffs. 5 playoff wins in 24 years isn’t exactly knocking the cover off the ball. Better than Mikey though. 

9 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The Bengals while Paul Brown coached never won a playoff game.  As owner the team did make the Super Bowl twice but also had 2 - 5 year stretches of missing the playoffs. 5 playoff wins in 24 years isn’t exactly knocking the cover off the ball. Better than Mikey though. 

Paul Brown put together and coached some pretty good teams in the 70s, but they weren't as good as the Stealers.  You pretty much had to win your division back then and, well...

In the 80s the Bengals ran up against another all time great team in the 49ers. 

Hard to bash Paul Brown.  He was good at what he did, but times change and Mikey Boy doesn't want to.  That's the crux of the issue.

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Well, because he's getting paid a lot of money.  You expect him to fire himself or what?

The best people who run organizations understand not only their own strengths but their own weaknesses and the weaknesses of the organization as a whole. If you are not good at a particular task then hire someone who is. 

But if Dufus Tobin wants to keep pretending his department is good at player selection, well then he just has blinders on. 

Archived