MLB Wilson 24 Bynes 21    
WLB Davis-Gaither 24 Bailey 24    
S Bell 23 Free Agent    
S Bates 22 Wilson 21    
CB Waynes 23 Phillips 22    
CB Jackson 21 Round 5    
CB Alexander 21      

Beautiful chart..

Gotta say i disagree with alot of slots on it..

Geno? Morgan our 2 receiver?

Bynes??...

I dunno...

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Beautiful chart..

Gotta say i disagree with alot of slots on it..

Geno? Morgan our 2 receiver?

Bynes??...

I dunno...

Work in progress. Very open to discussion. 

1. I think Geno was hurt and that he stays....maybe at a lower price?

2. I think Morgan is an elite kick cover guy and will have to be on the team. He is WR 5 or 6. Might not play any offense. 

3. Bynes leadership has been great and I think is a great versatile backup for the unit. 

16 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Work in progress. Very open to discussion. 

1. I think Geno was hurt and that he stays....maybe at a lower price?

2. I think Morgan is an elite kick cover guy and will have to be on the team. He is WR 5 or 6. Might not play any offense. 

3. Bynes leadership has been great and I think is a great versatile backup for the unit. 

Ok...makes sense..

We re really light at DE and WR ..

I like Higgins Tate Boyd trio but the cupboard looks bare if injuries occur..

Same with Lawson and Hubbard..

Oline DE and WR would be good targets in the draft..

I laid out what paying all of these guys would look like. Not sure there is enough for Bates. Anyone too high? Low?

Quinton Spain LG 6 $5,000,000$0
Samaje Perine RB 4 $990,000$0
Margus Hunt DT 8 $1,075,000$0
Carl Lawson 43DE 4 $12,000,000$0
Brandon Allen QB 4 $990,000$0
Clark Harris LS 8 $1,075,000$0
Josh Bynes LB 9 $1,075,000$0
Brandon Wilson S 4 $3,000,000$0
William Jackson III CB 5 $14,000,000$0
Kevin Huber P 8 $1,075,000$0
Mackensie Alexander CB 5 $6,000,000$0

I like Spain at RG..

I thought 8mil for 2 yrs would entice him to stay..

I think Jackson's overall play this year has been good..he'll never be a interception type but he does have solud coverage skills..

14mil?...probably a lil high but they paid Wayans in that neighborhood so yeah sign Jackson at that too..

We Need corners anyway..

Phillips has allways been a favorite of mine for his playmaking skills..

Hes coming along nicely now..

Mackenzie Alexander is a player that would keep depth at CB but at what price??

7 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I like Spain at RG..

I thought 8mil for 2 yrs would entice him to stay..

I think Jackson's overall play this year has been good..he'll never be a interception type but he does have solid coverage skills..

14mil?...probably a lil high but they paid Wayans in that neighborhood so yeah sign Jackson at that too..

We Need corners anyway..

Phillips has allways been a favorite of mine for his playmaking skills..

Hes coming along nicely now..

Mackenzie Alexander is a player that would keep depth at CB but at what price??

Had all the same questions. 

15 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Had all the same questions. 

I believe they'll sign Bates after the season..

He and his agent will want it and if Bengals try and get another year of his play at 1mil they might go elsewhere

by feeling totally disrespected..

Probably AllNFL 2nd team...

Gonna cost alot...

5 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I believe they'll sign Bates after the season..

He and his agent will want it and if Bengals try and get another year of his play at 1mil they might go elsewhere

by feeling totally disrespected..

Probably AllNFL 2nd team...

Gonna cost alot...

Who is the top paid safety in the league? Jammal Adams?

30 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

That will be the going rate then. Given Waynes is a high ticket CB, I am not sure it will make sense to have another 10+M CB plus Bates at $14M. That is a lot of cap for the defensive backfield. 

Agree...

They could pass on Jackson and go Surtain in first round which nobody will be pleased with..

Gotta make other cuts to roster to get Jackson signed..

Its another predicament...

On 12/28/2020 at 5:41 PM, MichaelWeston said:

Would this be competitive?

QB Burrow 25 Allen 21    
RB Mixon 25 Bernard 22 Perine 21 Williams 23
WR Higgins 24 Tate 22    
WR Free Agent Morgan 21    
WR Boyd 24 Round 4    
TE Sample 23 Uzomah 22 Carter 21 Round 6
LT Williams 24 Adeniji 24    
LG Spain 21 Jordan 23    
C Hopkins 23 Price 22    
RG Su'a-Filo 23 Finney 22    
RT Round 1 Johnson 22    

K Seibert 23      
P Huber 21      
LS Harris 21      

LE Hubbard 22 Round 2    
LT Reader 24 Wren 23    
RT Atkins 23 Round 3 Hunt 21  
RE Lawson 21 Kareem 24    
SLB Pratt 23 Evans 21    
MLB Wilson 24 Bynes 21    
WLB Davis-Gaither 24 Bailey 24    
S Bell 23 Free Agent    
S Bates 22 Wilson 21    
CB Waynes 23 Phillips 22    
CB Jackson 21 Round 5    
CB Alexander 21      

I would like to address RT, DE & WR  in some order with our first two picks & our top FA signing.

* QB - I'm good with Burrow and (after the Texan game) Allen.  I'd bring Finley to camp in case Geaux is not  quite ready for the opening bell.

* RB - We're in lockstep here.  Was wanting to add a durable back, but Samje has made me a believer.

* WR - Agree on Boyd, Tee & Tate.  I'd be tempted to take Chase with our first pick, because I believe giving Burrow TB, T & Chase would be awesome beyond words (and because we need at least one top-tier wideout behind Boyd & Higgins in case of injury}.  Was at one point hoping Pitts would be there when we pick in the 2nd RS as a WR/TE hybrid.  I'd be fine with Thomas as our #5.  Didn't realize Morgan was such a ST star.  He, Erickson, a 2nd-tier WR or a CFA would be OK for the 6th slot.  I would definitely spend a top 3 pick or sign a starter-level FA here.

* TE - Sample & Uzomah get 2 of the top three spot and they seem to really like Carter in the 4th slot.  U less they come upon a can't-miss miss guy early, I'd go with a 4th or 5th RD guy, a 2nd Tier FA or two or three CFA's to scrum it out.

* OL - If healthy, I'd pencil-in Hopkins, Spain, Sua-Filo, Williams, Pennei (or a 2nd Rounder), Williams & Adenji for seven of the nine slots.  Personally, I would have no more than one of Jordan, Price, Finney on the OD 53.  I'd look for an interior upgrade for the 9th guy with a mid-rounder or FA.

* DT - The big question is do they bring back Geno?  I'd like to see them give him another chance to prove much of his issues were injury-related, but I can see them cutting him for the cap space.  Admittedly, UI didn't watch them that closely, but (when healthy), I thought Daniels & Covington were serviceable in reserve to fight it out with Wren.  I they let Geno go, they'll need a mid-round pick or FA.

* DE - Hubbard & Lawson start and Kareem is probably OK as the fourth.  They need someone else who can threaten the QB for the 3rd slot though.  I'd love Rousseau in the first if Pennei is gone.  If not, there are several decent 2nd RD candidates.  Odeyingbo, Hutchinson, Basham, Weaver & Tryon might all be gone by our 2nd pick, but like our chances one or two are there. If not you might luck into some on in the 3rd (don't like the chances of a solid pass rusher being there for us in FA).

* LB - I'm good with Pratt, Wilson Bailey & Gaither-Davis.  If they can upgrade Bynes & Evans, great, but unless there's a can't miss guy early, I'm addressing this room mid-round or mid tier FA.  There are more pressing needs.

* CB -If it can be done reasonably I'm good with Jackson, Waynes, Phillips & Alexander.  I would like to add another solid cover guy in the 3rd, 4th or 5th.  Other wise the usual scrum for the last berth or two.

* S - Bates, Bell & Wilson are locks.  Probably time to move on from Williams though with a FA.

* ST - I'd be good with Siebert, Huber & Harris, but I'd bring challengers to camp for all three (especially PK, where I might spend a later-round pick for the right prospect).  No more Fat Randy!

20 minutes ago, snarkster said:

* TE - Sample & Uzomah get 2 of the top three spot and they seem to really like Carter in the 4th slot.  U less they come upon a can't-miss miss guy early, I'd go with a 4th or 5th RD guy, a 2nd Tier FA or two or three CFA's to scrum it out.

If Sewell and Chase are gone I'm warming up more and more to Pitts.

Not sure if Uzi will be all the way back but even if he is, two tight end sets

with Pitts and either would cause problems for the D w targets for Joe

with Pitts getting open or other guy being overlooked.  Would be fun to watch.

I still like LB Parsons but warming to Pitts more.

O line in round two and/or free agency.

D line... get everyone back and healthy, including hopefully Geno, and see what we got.

D backs as you said.  Those you mentioned and healthy should be a good start and look for back ups.

Shoot Sims.

Still gnawing at me that we are going to pull the upset and win and really screw the draft pooch.

38 minutes ago, snarkster said:

* DE - Hubbard & Lawson start and Kareem is probably OK as the fourth.  They need someone else who can threaten the QB for the 3rd slot though.  I'd love Rousseau in the first if Pennei is gone.  If not, there are several decent 2nd RD candidates.  Odeyingbo, Hutchinson, Basham, Weaver & Tryon might all be gone by our 2nd pick, but like our chances one or two are there. If not you might luck into some on in the 3rd (don't like the chances of a solid pass rusher being there for us in FA).

How about the guy from Penn st?

23 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

DE Jason Oweh???

6'5 252lbs.. 4.33 forty (yep).

36.5 vertical...

Freaky athlete but his numbers arent good..

Had 0 sacks in 7 games this year.

Had but 5 in 2019..

Needs to get bigger and definately stronger...

Hes raw!!

2nd rounder for someone maybe..

22 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I laid out what paying all of these guys would look like. Not sure there is enough for Bates. Anyone too high? Low?

Quinton Spain LG 6 $5,000,000$0
Samaje Perine RB 4 $990,000$0
Margus Hunt DT 8 $1,075,000$0
Carl Lawson 43DE 4 $12,000,000$0
Brandon Allen QB 4 $990,000$0
Clark Harris LS 8 $1,075,000$0
Josh Bynes LB 9 $1,075,000$0
Brandon Wilson S 4 $3,000,000$0
William Jackson III CB 5 $14,000,000$0
Kevin Huber P 8 $1,075,000$0
Mackensie Alexander CB 5 $6,000,000$0

The cap is shrinking next year and there will be a lot of veterans on the market. Spain was cut and on the street this year, I think we can get him for 3.5 mil next year. Lawson is 2nd in the league in QB hits (behind TJ Watt) so he may well get more than 12 mil. I don't think Brandon Wilson gets 3 mil from anyone simply as a good KR guy. Nobody is going to pay WJ3 14 mil per year. Bengals overpaid that to Waynes and other teams will be more cautious. Huber is currently making more than vet min so it would be a paycut for him. He might get 2 mil.  The team will want to extend Hubbard and Bates. They're probably in line for 8 mil per and 10 mil per respectively. But they may wish to wait a year for a higher cap or may wish to take the bird in hand guaranteed money right away. A couple of other current Bengals who will be free agents after this season and who may be back inexpensively are Mike Daniels and Mike Thomas. 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Do you mean Micah Parsons?  He was a HS DE who moved to LB in college but rushed the passer a good bit, both from blitzes and with his hand on the ground.

He'd be ok for our top pick if we upgrade the O-line in FA and Sewell is gone. 

14 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Do you mean Micah Parsons?  He was a HS DE who moved to LB in college but rushed the passer a good bit, both from blitzes and with his hand on the ground.

He'd be ok for our top pick if we upgrade the O-line in FA and Sewell is gone. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jayson-oweh-nfl-draft-player-profile-penn-state-edge/

This is the guy I have been mocking to us in round 2.....(I currently don't know what I am talking about though :). Seems like a fit. Very high upside?

Here's what I'd do this offseason:

I thought we would lose out and have a good chance at getting a new coaching staff and maybe front office guy to replace Tobin. No such luck with the last 2 wins.

This team needs a rebuild. I don't think Zac Taylor is the guy to oversee it. But since he'll be around for 2021 and is an offensively minded coach, let's give him something to work with. This offseason will be mainly about getting the offense right, both in protecting Burrow and giving him weapons. We'll try to re-sign some of our veteran defenders who are entering free agency.

Moderate to high paid guys who start in the doghouse: AJ Green, John Ross, Geno Atkins, Trae Waynes, Joe Mixon, Bobby Hart

I'd let Green and Ross walk and cut Atkins and Hart. Waynes and Mixon should have been able to return from their injuries but don't seem to have wanted to.

Moderately paid guys who will be cap casualties: Gio Bernard, CJ Uzomah, BJ Finney. I'd offer Gio and CJ new contracts at vet min for Uzomah and about half his current pay for Gio. They are both high quality humans but aren't starting caliber players and make too much to be backups at their current price. 

We'd be about 60 mil under the cap before any re-signings. I'd bring back most of the cheaper free agents and look for 2-3 impact additions. We'd offer WJ3 8 mil, Alexander 6 mil, Lawson 12 mil, Hubbard 8 mil, Bates 10 mil per year on extensions. There aren't any priority offensive players to extend. If we lose out on Lawson, then I'd check on Shaq Barrett and LaVonte David as Tampa can't tag both of them. We'd also need to use an early pick at DE if Lawson or WJ3 leave.  If it comes to it, I'd keep WJ3 over Waynes. The team can save 6 mil by cutting Trae.

On offense, I'd go for Thuney and Hunter Henry. Add a mid-tier veteran WR like Rashard Higgins or Curtis Samuel. If we got Sewell, that would be a well rounded offense. 

I would love to see a halfway decent swing tackle brought in via FA because the tandem of guy on IR for the 2nd year in a row and unknown draft pick does not fill me with confidence.   At this point I'm hoping they take the long view with Burrow and leave him on the PUP or whatever for the first 3-4 games until the OL demonstrates they aren't going to get his other knee shredded.

As for Geno..  At just over $5 Million in dead money he's not going anywhere.  They won't cut a guy they owe money that barely even plays, they are definitely not eating that cap hit for someone that actually shows up.

2 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Here's what I'd do this offseason:

I thought we would lose out and have a good chance at getting a new coaching staff and maybe front office guy to replace Tobin. No such luck with the last 2 wins.

This team needs a rebuild. I don't think Zac Taylor is the guy to oversee it. But since he'll be around for 2021 and is an offensively minded coach, let's give him something to work with. This offseason will be mainly about getting the offense right, both in protecting Burrow and giving him weapons. We'll try to re-sign some of our veteran defenders who are entering free agency.

Moderate to high paid guys who start in the doghouse: AJ Green, John Ross, Geno Atkins, Trae Waynes, Joe Mixon, Bobby Hart

I'd let Green and Ross walk and cut Atkins and Hart. Waynes and Mixon should have been able to return from their injuries but don't seem to have wanted to.

Moderately paid guys who will be cap casualties: Gio Bernard, CJ Uzomah, BJ Finney. I'd offer Gio and CJ new contracts at vet min for Uzomah and about half his current pay for Gio. They are both high quality humans but aren't starting caliber players and make too much to be backups at their current price. 

We'd be about 60 mil under the cap before any re-signings. I'd bring back most of the cheaper free agents and look for 2-3 impact additions. We'd offer WJ3 8 mil, Alexander 6 mil, Lawson 12 mil, Hubbard 8 mil, Bates 10 mil per year on extensions. There aren't any priority offensive players to extend. If we lose out on Lawson, then I'd check on Shaq Barrett and LaVonte David as Tampa can't tag both of them. We'd also need to use an early pick at DE if Lawson or WJ3 leave.  If it comes to it, I'd keep WJ3 over Waynes. The team can save 6 mil by cutting Trae.

On offense, I'd go for Thuney and Hunter Henry. Add a mid-tier veteran WR like Rashard Higgins or Curtis Samuel. If we got Sewell, that would be a well rounded offense. 

I dont believe Bates sign here for 10mil

Extension..

He and his agent will be looking at top 5 safety pay at 14mil..

5yrs 70mil imo..

15 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jayson-oweh-nfl-draft-player-profile-penn-state-edge/

This is the guy I have been mocking to us in round 2.....(I currently don't know what I am talking about though :). Seems like a fit. Very high upside?

He's probably a better fit for teams that play a 3-4. He'd be awfully small at DE in our scheme.

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I would love to see a halfway decent swing tackle brought in via FA because the tandem of guy on IR for the 2nd year in a row and unknown draft pick does not fill me with confidence.   At this point I'm hoping they take the long view with Burrow and leave him on the PUP or whatever for the first 3-4 games until the OL demonstrates they aren't going to get his other knee shredded.

As for Geno..  At just over $5 Million in dead money he's not going anywhere.  They won't cut a guy they owe money that barely even plays, they are definitely not eating that cap hit for someone that actually shows up.

"dead money" is a meaningless concept.  It's the sunk cost fallacy in action. The decision on Geno is whether or not to pay him 12.1 mil to be on the team in 2021. Unless they expect a big year from him, it would be a repeat of paying AJ Green too much in 2020 for past heroics. 

Archived