Next years 53

On 1/2/2021 at 6:43 AM, T-Dub said:

See, that strikes me as a little.. weird.  My guess is that Dunlap tried the quiet approach and only took to social media to force the issue because he had no other options left.  To me, this seems like the perfect opportunity for a coach trying to change the culture to gather the team and offer everyone the same deal.

You don't wan't to be here? Speak up and we'll take care of it. Not winning much with guys that feel like they're being held hostage anyway.  If the fear is that too many people would call their bluff and leave, well..  That kind of points to bigger issues, doesn't it?  Like maybe they have a legitimate complaint?

I guess I find it strange that any fan of this team would have so much animosity towards an aging vet forcing their way out.  To me it seems more like jealousy because the player can just go to work for a different team and find success, while as a fan you're pretty much stuck.

Water under the bridge now but suffice to say I find all this Dunlap hate misplaced.  This was the result of problems we're all painfully aware of yet some of us want to shit on him for it?

Hopefully any other malcontents are shown the door and we can bring in some coaches that actually motivate guys to play.

Perhaps they do have a legitimate complaint which is why I blamed the coaches for letting such a talent get off the plantation and force his way out.  We can't afford to lose much talent in this way. We don't have talent to spare

1 minute ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

John Elway stepping down as Broncos G.M. 

Now there is a guy who is smart enough to understand he was not getting the job done so he will hire someone who can. It is not rocket science. 

Took him long enough to come to that conclusion..

22 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

John Elway stepping down as Broncos G.M. 

Now there is a guy who is smart enough to understand he was not getting the job done so he will hire someone who can. It is not rocket science. 

Outside of Manning he couldnt find a franchise QB..

And Lock isnt the answer either..

On 1/2/2021 at 5:26 PM, sparky151 said:

Are Trae Waynes and Joe Mixon the new Dunlaps?  They sure didn't seem eager to return from what were originally billed as short term injuries. 

I've noticed you saying this a few times. Trae Waynes injury was not billed a short term injury. Most felt he'd miss the entire season. Joe Mixon's injury was never really disclosed. Hard to say it was billed as short term. If anyone, he along with Boyd and Bernard were the most vocal supporters of the Bengals, Zac Taylor and the "new" direction. I don't see any evidence either dragged their feet on their return. Rather, I think the Bengals pulled the plug on them and kept them on the shelf. Burrow was gone, losses were stacking up, what's the point of throwing them out there? Same reason they eventually shelved Geno. This happens in the NFL all the time. Not surprised it happened here.

All told this was a really good thread with lots of great points (until it got a bit off track). I'm impressed with some of the thought process and logic people have shown looking at the future roster. The more I look at things, I'd like to see the Bengals do an un-Bengal-like things and sign Taylor Moton. It would really open up the options in the first round where they could look at Parsons, Chase, Paye, Pitts or Rousseau including a trade back to pick up more selections. I am going to be very interested to see what happens over the next four months. 

So now, with Hopkins' injury we need a starting center (the one fairly stable position on the OLine) for at least the first part of the season?  Price?  I'm very dubious.

Even before this, I believed they needed a RT early in the draft and a serviceable interior OL in FA.  Now I believe they need a middle-round interior guy as well and at least one (or bother) of them need to be able to capable handle the center spot.  It is crucial that any new OLine coach be adept at identifying and coaching0up big uglies.

1 hour ago, snarkster said:

So now, with Hopkins' injury we need a starting center (the one fairly stable position on the OLine) for at least the first part of the season?  Price?  I'm very dubious.

Even before this, I believed they needed a RT early in the draft and a serviceable interior OL in FA.  Now I believe they need a middle-round interior guy as well and at least one (or bother) of them need to be able to capable handle the center spot.  It is crucial that any new OLine coach be adept at identifying and coaching0up big uglies.

Price should be able to drop into the C position will little to no drop off. 

On 1/1/2021 at 10:43 AM, T-Dub said:

Why do you think he made that decision though?  I think your timeline is backwards here.

It's not like his teammates were supporting him.  For whatever reason Dunlap had enough.  Probably coaches, but just about everyone left from the Marvin era is disgruntled.  Interestingly, the FAs brought in...you know..the guys who have won before..don't have a problem with Taylor. 

Frankly, I think Taylor is learning on the job.  He has some crappy assistants, but is doing the right thing as far as culture goes.  They need coaches that can teach the game and communicate clearly to players their expectations.  Hard to tell if that is gonna happen, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

16 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Interestingly, the FAs brought in...you know..the guys who have won before..don't have a problem with Taylor. 

You mean the ones who coincidentally all happened to spend most of the year sidelined with injuries?  Yes I'm sure they were very supportive from their gold-plated jacuzzis. 

19 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Frankly, I think Taylor is learning on the job.  He has some crappy assistants, but is doing the right thing as far as culture goes.  

Um.. He personally chose all those assistants, they didn't just spring from the field like mushrooms overnight.  They were his hires in the first place.  His "system" of dodging blame by throwing other people under the bus is working out pretty well.

Can you give me an example of a "right thing as far as culture goes" that Taylor has done?

Archived