Next years 53

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Can you give me an example of a "right thing as far as culture goes" that Taylor has done?

Supportive statements from players like Bell, Byrnes, Bernard, and Burrow.  They don’t have to say anything. 

45 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Supportive statements from players like Bell, Byrnes, Bernard, and Burrow.  They don’t have to say anything. 

I think the young ones and FA vets believe in his idea to turn it around..

Older vets didn't want to wait that long..

He also saw them fading..Maybe not in actual games but practices..

Watching thier habits attitudes and playing ability regardless of their stature with the team..

Some wanted out or play it out and leave afterward..

On 1/7/2021 at 8:32 AM, snarkster said:

So now, with Hopkins' injury we need a starting center (the one fairly stable position on the OLine) for at least the first part of the season?  Price?  I'm very dubious.

Even before this, I believed they needed a RT early in the draft and a serviceable interior OL in FA.  Now I believe they need a middle-round interior guy as well and at least one (or bother) of them need to be able to capable handle the center spot.  It is crucial that any new OLine coach be adept at identifying and coaching0up big uglies.

Get Price a decent O-line coach and I think we're set

15 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

So two complete nonfactors & two team captains.  That's..  flimsy.  

I guess I should more specific?  What has Taylor himself done to create this alleged culture?  I don't mean team-first guys or well paid & underperforming FA's telling Hobson how super great and cool Zach is on camera.  I mean actions taken by Taylor, personally, that speak to any big culture shift within the organization. 

15 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I guess I should more specific?  What has Taylor himself done to create this alleged culture?  I don't mean team-first guys or well paid & underperforming FA's telling Hobson how super great and cool Zach is on camera.  I mean actions taken by Taylor, personally, that speak to any big culture shift within the organization. 

It doesn't clap or giggle, that is a huge change. 

In my opinion, these are some interesting roster questions facing the Bengals for players from the current 2020 roster:

Do you try and re-sign Carl Lawson? If so, what would be the most per season you'd be willing to pay? If not, how would you replace him?

Same question for William Jackson.

What other 2020 Bengals free agents do you feel are important to re-sign?

Do you keep Geno Atkins or cut him and pick up $9.6 million against the 2021 cap? If you cut him, what's your plan to replace him?

I'm assuming most people agree that he's not your starter but, do you bring back Bobby Hart as a back up or do you cut him and pick up $5.9 million against the 2021 cap?

CJ Uzomah is coming back after a fairly serious injury and only playing two games in 2020. Do you retain him or cut him and pick up $5.2 million against the 2021 cap?

I felt Gio Bernard really proved valuable on many levels in 2020. But, is he worth $4.7 million? Do you keep Gio or cut him and gain $4.1 million against the cap?

Do you try and extend Jessie Bates long term this offseason and keep him far away from free agency? Are you willing to pay Top 5 Safety money to him to do so?

Do you think there is value in trying to extend Sam Hubbard this offseason?

I think there are some very intriguing roster decisions to be made. What say you?  

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Dude, we aren’t in the locker room.  You know damn well none of us can do that.  Two can play that game.  Give me evidence he hasn’t!   Byrnes and Bell have won before and know what a good culture looks like.  Even if they are on the decline they know.  What would Dunlop know?   He may know now seeing it in Seattle. 

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

In my opinion, these are some interesting roster questions facing the Bengals for players from the current 2020 roster:

Do you try and re-sign Carl Lawson? If so, what would be the most per season you'd be willing to pay? If not, how would you replace him?

Same question for William Jackson.

What other 2020 Bengals free agents do you feel are important to re-sign?

Do you keep Geno Atkins or cut him and pick up $9.6 million against the 2021 cap? If you cut him, what's your plan to replace him?

I'm assuming most people agree that he's not your starter but, do you bring back Bobby Hart as a back up or do you cut him and pick up $5.9 million against the 2021 cap?

CJ Uzomah is coming back after a fairly serious injury and only playing two games in 2020. Do you retain him or cut him and pick up $5.2 million against the 2021 cap?

I felt Gio Bernard really proved valuable on many levels in 2020. But, is he worth $4.7 million? Do you keep Gio or cut him and gain $4.1 million against the cap?

Do you try and extend Jessie Bates long term this offseason and keep him far away from free agency? Are you willing to pay Top 5 Safety money to him to do so?

Do you think there is value in trying to extend Sam Hubbard this offseason?

I think there are some very intriguing roster decisions to be made. What say you?  

Lawson’s comments, or his representation, made me wonder if he even wants to stay.  This year was the first he’s been healthy most of the time. 

Bernard is worth the money.  He is a very good third down back and can do the job when called upon.  It’s very common for RBs to miss games.  Having a solid backup is important at many positions.  RB is one of the few where the Bengals actually do. 

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Lawson’s comments, or his representation, made me wonder if he even wants to stay.  This year was the first he’s been healthy most of the time. 

Bernard is worth the money.  He is a very good third down back and can do the job when called upon.  It’s very common for RBs to miss games.  Having a solid backup is important at many positions.  RB is one of the few where the Bengals actually do. 

I would like to see Lawson with a decent D line coach who can clue him in as to

how to get to the quarterback and make a play rather than running past him.

Maybe translate some of the famous quarterback hits into quarterback sacks.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Bernard can go now..

6mil a year for  a mediocre season and turning 30 to boot.

Longest run hes had in over 3 yrs is but 23yrds..

Under 4.0 ypc for over 3yrs..

I like the guy but cut him and let Treyveon do his thing now..

Put that extra 6mil on signing Moten for 16.5mil..

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

No problemo!

6–25–1

Predictable.  You have no interest in process, only results.  

I can’t believe I’m defending Taylor.  I don’t think he’s been good at all, but that doesn’t mean he’s been bad at everything.  

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Bernard can go now..

6mil a year for  a mediocre season and turning 30 to boot.

Longest run hes had in over 3 yrs is but 23yrds..

Under 4.0 ypc for over 3yrs..

I like the guy but cut him and let Treyveon do his thing now..

Put that extra 6mil on signing Moten for 16.5mil..

That is foolish. A few good runs does not a good RB make.  Can he pick up pass rushers?  Bernard can and does.  Is he a threat out of the backfield in the passing game?   Bernard is.  This is the kind of thinking that sent Whitworth packing. 

I like the role of Bernard but I do agree that they shouldn't have signed both him and Mixon long term. One or the other yeah but not both. I respect the shit out of Joe as a Bengal and I have nothing against that kid whatsoever, he's played his heart out when he's been healthy for sure...but...if you traded/dumped that salary for a 4th rd pick and used it on someone like Trey Sermon for instance, what exactly would they lose? Serious question. 

3 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I like the role of Bernard but I do agree that they shouldn't have signed both him and Mixon long term. One or the other yeah but not both. I respect the shit out of Joe as a Bengal and I have nothing against that kid whatsoever, he's played his heart out when he's been healthy for sure...but...if you traded/dumped that salary for a 4th rd pick and used it on someone like Trey Sermon for instance, what exactly would they lose? Serious question. 

Just cut him..

Trouble is fans like the lil guy too much..

He runs for 4 yrds and its like "wow looke at lil Gio go"..

No....

Trayveon Williams is the future...

Take Gio's salary and put it on signing Moten...

28 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Just cut him..

Trouble is fans like the lil guy too much..

He runs for 4 yrds and its like "wow looke at lil Gio go"..

No....

Trayveon Williams is the future...

Take Gio's salary and put it on signing Moten...

I think this is a bit of a myopic view of Bernard as a back and what he brings to the table. He's one of the best pass blocking running backs in the league, is a well respected veteran and had 771 yards from scrimmage and 6 TDs this past season. He's an excellent third down back and rarely puts the ball on the ground.

On the other side, at $4.6 million, he's set to be the 14th highest paid RB in the league. If he was paid half that I'd be all over keeping him. And that's where I struggle with keeping him and Mixon. Sadly, despite the nice shit I said in the first paragraph, I think the Bengals should release him and either re-sign him at a much lower price tag and/or let Perine and Williams handle the back up duties.

I know this isn't Madden but, I think the Bengals should cut Atkins, Uzomah, Bernard and Hart and use the additional $25 million to upgrade and/or extend better players (yeah, yeah, I know they won't).

31 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I think this is a bit of a myopic view of Bernard as a back and what he brings to the table. He's one of the best pass blocking running backs in the league, is a well respected veteran and had 771 yards from scrimmage and 6 TDs this past season. He's an excellent third down back and rarely puts the ball on the ground.

On the other side, at $4.6 million, he's set to be the 14th highest paid RB in the league. If he was paid half that I'd be all over keeping him. And that's where I struggle with keeping him and Mixon. Sadly, despite the nice shit I said in the first paragraph, I think the Bengals should release him and either re-sign him at a much lower price tag and/or let Perine and Williams handle the back up duties.

I know this isn't Madden but, I think the Bengals should cut Atkins, Uzomah, Bernard and Hart and use the additional $25 million to upgrade and/or extend better players (yeah, yeah, I know they won't).

Present cap space without future cuts oe FA signees..

Bengals...+34mil

Browns....+24mil.

Ravens.....+24mil.

Stealers....-21mil...

By cutting the players you mentioned along with "Long in the tooth" Shawn Williams 5.5mil. and a few more that wont be re-signed they have more than enough to pursue an outstanding OT..

People talk about Chase at 5...

Sound like MB Ferrari clones...

Build the line...

Archived