A DYK- Final Home Game with Losing Record

19 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Hey, it's not a bad gig to have an NFL paycheck and only have to win a couple of meaningless late season games to convince the owner that success is just around the corner. It's a tradition. 

TBH I think beating Shitsburgh on MNF saved everyone's job for another year.  Not even entirely mad about it either.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

TBH I think beating Shitsburgh on MNF saved everyone's job for another year.  Not even entirely mad about it either.

Yeah, I was happy with the win over the Stoolers and it didn't impact our draft position. I would be upset if it saved Taylor's job but I don't think the team was going to make a change even if we finished 2-13-1. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, I was happy with the win over the Stoolers and it didn't impact our draft position. I would be upset if it saved Taylor's job but I don't think the team was going to make a change even if we finished 2-13-1. 

I mean.. We kept a guy around that was literally spitting at hospital workers. Getting fired from the Bengals organization takes an extraordinary effort. Taylor's job is to be a lightning rod for the media, I'm not sure the team's record really enters into it.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

That was the game where only Cedric Benson showed up. 

Didn't we have a regular season game against them a week or two earlier? IDK if I've seen a less enthusiastic showing in a postseason game.  More like preseason energy from what I can remember.  Had to be something going on behind the scenes there.

Yeah, we lost 37-0 to the Jets in the regular season finale in 2009 after we'd clinched the AFCN. Marvin rested some guys and said the score didn't matter, the playoff game was what was important. Then we went out and lost again the following week 24-14 to Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez. Benson had a big game for Bengals (169 yards rushing) but the rest of the team didn't show up. 

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, we lost 37-0 to the Jets in the regular season finale in 2009 after we'd clinched the AFCN. Marvin rested some guys and said the score didn't matter, the playoff game was what was important. Then we went out and lost again the following week 24-14 to Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez. Benson had a big game for Bengals (169 yards rushing) but the rest of the team didn't show up. 

This is the reason I will always praise Benson for his time here.  The only other player that even looked like they were interested that day was Peko.  Both of them will have my eternal respect (and may Benson RIP).  Benson didn't just have a big game - he played like a fuggin *warrior* and tried to carry the team kicking and screaming toward a win.  For me it was probably the most frustrating loss of the Marvin era because we were so favoured and just looked so pathetic (the Pittsburgh playoff game, in contrast, wasn't about frustration - that was PTSD, a shock to the system, one for which I had no expectations of a win in the first place).

Oh yeah playoffs 2009, when Chad Johnson showed up in a jacked up yellow Ford F-600 truck, a weird prototype helmet with some sort of shock absorber face mask, and his jersey had a different fabric and number font than the rest of the team. What a clown show that was. 

Oh, and our soft QB had a torpedo heater shoved up his bitch ass during every timeout. 

7 hours ago, saphead said:

Oh yeah playoffs 2009, when Chad Johnson showed up in a jacked up yellow Ford F-600 truck, a weird prototype helmet with some sort of shock absorber face mask, and his jersey had a different fabric and number font than the rest of the team. What a clown show that was. 

The fact that he would even be let on the field like that shows how little authority Marvin was given.  No way was he OK with that ridiculous shit.

58 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Or respect from the players.

No doubt.  And why would they respect him when they knew they could hide behind MB?  Think that's why some guys were mysteriously benched for so long; he couldn't cut them, but he didn't have to play them.

Archived