2020 Season Post-Mortem

Yeah I know we've still got a game to play, but I was thinking about how I'd expected a little more progress (not much) this season.  Then I also realized I fully expected Burrow to get hurt behind our OL.  That would obviously be the low point, even if it was no surprise. Don't think I'll ever forgive Taylor and the Katie-Troy Experience for that blunder.

High point would have to be shitting on Pittsburgh in their own home.  Truly a Christmas miracle.

Higgins & Bates both look to have bright futures.

Entire coaching staff should be gone but obviously that's asking too much.  They'll sacrifice a couple of assistants & act like that fixes everything, as is tradition.

Think we're looking at a return to 8-8 football next year.  Will that earn Taylor an extension?

Here we are again. All beating Shitsbarf (though I loved it) did was possibly secure Wak Taylor's job and probably losing the lineman in the draft.

Moving fwd do whatever it takes to make sure JB never has to pull a Carson Palmer on this team. 

If this team is serious about getting better I don’t see how they can keep Zac. 
If you’re a good assistant coach would you join a staff lead by Zac who may have good people skills, but has shown little as a head coach and will definitely be on a short leash? Huge risk of being one and done. Do you want to take that risk if you’re a good coach?

Same with quality free agents. 

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

If this team is serious about getting better I don’t see how they can keep Zac. 
If you’re a good assistant coach would you join a staff lead by Zac who may have good people skills, but has shown little as a head coach and will definitely be on a short leash? Huge risk of being one and done. Do you want to take that risk if you’re a good coach?

Same with quality free agents. 

Not sure how short the lease is but point taken. I think we are limited to young coaches or rewinds of guys looking to stay in the league.

FA are different, they are more mercenary in nature.

Just now, Jupiter Fan said:

Not sure how short the lease is but point taken. I think we are limited to young coaches or rewinds of guys looking to stay in the league.

FA are different, they are more mercenary in nature.

I don't see anyone WANTING to come to the Bengals. You hope you find someone looking to be a HC or looking to be a HC again. Then hope it works out. 

14 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I don't see anyone WANTING to come to the Bengals. You hope you find someone looking to be a HC or looking to be a HC again. Then hope it works out. 

Everyone has to spend to the cap. A mid tier first time FA isn’t going to give up an extra few million to play for a winner low on cap space. 

Hart made $2.1 mil his first 3 years.  No way he could pass up $5 mil a year here on his current contract. 

12 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

One comment made by Tim McGee on the post game radio wake was if Zac remains (as he probably will)

it will be difficult to get quality assistants, ie and specifically a Defensive Coordinator, who will know Zac

could very well be one and done.  And them, too.

The mirror image way of looking at it is someone good could come here as a DC or other assistant

with the idea of  if/when Zac goes out, they move up.

Its easy enough to say (speaking of myself, mainly) bring in this guy, bring in that guy but I overlook the

key element of whomever comes in must have the Head Coach Zac Seal of Approval or at least serious thought

to how they would gel.

2 minutes ago, HOF dan said:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/01/zac-taylor-not-necessarily-safe

First time I've heard any rumblings...........food for thought, though.

Was mentioned on the post game radio call in show.

Was kind of blown off and refuted with others saying he's in.

Never heard of the site citing and I think "Pro Football Rumors" says it all.

https://www.bengals.com/video/who-dey-state-of-mind-2021

Can't get this to show on here.  Probably just as well.

Just came out from the Bengals.

Looking for an emoji sticking two fingers in its mouth to induce vomiting.

1 hour ago, HOF dan said:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/01/zac-taylor-not-necessarily-safe

First time I've heard any rumblings...........food for thought, though.

That story has already been proven wrong. Mike Brown announced a half hour ago that Zac is coming back for a 3rd yr. I just heard it on local radio

The Bengals really got kicked in the dates with injuries this year. I believe a healthy Bengals squad would have been .500. In addition to guys like Geno Atkins and AJ Green who played games but never scratched the surface of their former selves, he saw:

Joe Burrow: Missed 6.5 Games

Joe Mixon: Missed 10 Games

DJ Reader: Missed 11 Games

Trae Waynes: Missed 16 Games

CJ Uzomah: Missed 14 Games

Jonah Williams: Missed 6 Games

Mackensie Alexander: Missed 9 Games

Sam Hubbard: Missed 6 Games

Darius Phillips: Missed 4 Games

Xavier Su'a-Filo: Missed 10 Games

Logan Wilson: Missed 4 Games

Geno Atkins: Missed 8 Games

That's a fairly significant list and there were a number of other players that missed 2-4 games throughout. The Bengals need to get rid of a number of coordinators and position coaches, spend significant dollars in free agency focusing on OT, OG, DT, DE, #3 WR, and/or LB. They need to draft well focusing on production and not projects. I also hope they re-sign:

Mackensie Alexander

Kevin Huber

William Jackson

Brandon Wilson

Clark Harris

Carl Lawson

Samaje Perine

Brandon Allen

Margus Hunt or Mike Daniels

I'm not sure what the status of Quinton Spain is but, definitely add him to the returning. After the draft focus on extensions for Jessie Bates and Sam Hubbard.

It was a disheartening year in many ways but this is a team that can quickly turn around.

22 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

The Bengals really got kicked in the dates with injuries this year. I believe a healthy Bengals squad would have been .500. In addition to guys like Geno Atkins and AJ Green who played games but never scratched the surface of their former selves, he saw:

That's a fairly significant list and there were a number of other players that missed 2-4 games throughout. The Bengals need to get rid of a number of coordinators and position coaches, spend significant dollars in free agency focusing on OT, OG, DT, DE, #3 WR, and/or LB. They need to draft well focusing on production and not projects. I also hope they re-sign:

Mackensie Alexander

Kevin Huber

William Jackson

Brandon Wilson

Clark Harris

Carl Lawson

Samaje Perine

Brandon Allen

I'm not sure what the status of Quinton Spain is but, definitely add him to the returning. After the draft focus on extensions for Jessie Bates and Sam Hubbard.

It was a disheartening year in many ways but this is a team that can quickly turn around.

Every team had injuries, we just have no depth. 

So in summary you are saying we need better coaches, better drafting and more free agents. Mikey will get right on that so we can show our stripes next year (or the year after)!

Lets see what assistants we can get, if we get shit then this ship is stuck in dry dock. Remember that our assistances are key contributors to drafting so when you hire a moron like Turner you get a useless OL. 

OPED on would a OC/DC want to come here with Zach and the presumed he could be gone next year if things don't get better. This is a generalization, of course exceptions are out there.

Yes, because most coaches are type-A personalities, that are strong willed and confident to the point of arrogance. They will convince themselves there are several ways coming to Cincy makes sense. Where as a hand full of guys like Del Rio have the luxury of turning us down, most do not. Very limited number of jobs in the NFL and lots of wanna reach that level coaches out there. Even a one year stint as a Bengals coordinator is a resume boast if they've never been at the level before. I think we take for granted how few really good coaches are out there and available. But there are lots of still need to prove-it ones. And a lot of would like another-shot ones.

I mentioned in another thread that I'm okay with Zach sticking around, so that they can get an early start of finding the new coaches. It might be the B-list but as many on this board would likely agree to, that'd still be an improvement.

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Every team had injuries, we just have no depth. 

So in summary you are saying we need better coaches, better drafting and more free agents. Mikey will get right on that so we can show our stripes next year (or the year after)!

Lets see what assistants we can get, if we get shit then this ship is stuck in dry dock. Remember that our assistances are key contributors to drafting so when you hire a moron like Turner you get a useless OL. 

Not many teams outside of PHI and SF were impacted by injuries to the level the Bengals were. No team in the NFL can lose their starting QB and RB and survive the season. No team. The Bengals certainly also didn't expect to have all but zero input from Green, Dunlap and Atkins who accounted for more than $30 million is salaries this season. I'm not just making excuses, there's realities here. There's also a ton of work to be done. 

Yes, the Bengals need another good free agency and draft. Yes, they need more quality players. It takes more than a year to rebound from being the worst team in the league.

The good news for you is, you can really save yourself a lot of typing on this board. Just copy this sentence to your computer and paste it in every response, "Mikey and the inbreds are never going to fix things...blah, blah, blah, blah". You'll never have to type another one of your fresh takes again.    

1 minute ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Not many teams outside of PHI and SF were impacted by injuries to the level the Bengals were. No team in the NFL can lose their starting QB and RB and survive the season. No team. The Bengals certainly also didn't expect to have all but zero input from Green, Dunlap and Atkins who accounted for more than $30 million is salaries this season. I'm not just making excuses, there's realities here. There's also a ton of work to be done. 

Yes, the Bengals need another good free agency and draft. Yes, they need more quality players. It takes more than a year to rebound from being the worst team in the league.

The good news for you is, you can really save yourself a lot of typing on this board. Just copy this sentence to your computer and paste in in every response, "Mikey and the inbreds are never going to fix things...blah, blah, blah, blah". You'll never have to type another one of your fresh takes again.    

We only had 2 wins WITH JB, our depth is shit because half our starters are depth players on other teams or not in the league at all. 

19 hours ago, SF2 said:

Everyone has to spend to the cap. A mid tier first time FA isn’t going to give up an extra few million to play for a winner low on cap space. 

Hart made $2.1 mil his first 3 years.  No way he could pass up $5 mil a year here on his current contract. 

I don't blame Hart for signing that contract, I blame the team for offering it. It's not like people were beating down Hart's door to offer him deals. We got him off the street after he was cut by a team with a bad O-line. 

5 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Can't get this to show on here.  Probably just as well.

Just came out from the Bengals.

Looking for an emoji sticking two fingers in its mouth to induce vomiting.

Yeah, I heard the radio version of it, then saw it on tv last night. It was straight up comical, coming from such a dysfuntional organization. They think motivational cliches are a substitute for good scouting and coaching. Then wonder why they're always so "unlucky".

11 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I don't blame Hart for signing that contract, I blame the team for offering it. It's not like people were beating down Hart's door to offer him deals. We got him off the street after he was cut by a team with a bad O-line. 

Totally agree.  Desperation.  

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Mackensie Alexander

Kevin Huber

William Jackson

Brandon Wilson

Clark Harris

Carl Lawson

Samaje Perine

Brandon Allen

No, this isn't a team that can quickly turn around. We forget that Taylor was hired to improve on Marvin's final season of 7-9. How's that going so far? Not very well and he'll be regarded as a lame duck next year by everyone including prospective free agents and assistants. Burrow's injury was no surprise, it was entirely predictable. He was a rookie QB taking a beating behind a bad O-line. That bad O-line wasn't a result of injuries, it was the result of bad decisions. 

The NFL is a league built for parity. It's actually pretty hard to go 30 years without a playoff win but we all know of someone who has managed that feat. When Jimmy Haslam was letting hobos pick his QB with Manziel, we could compete. Once he turned things over to professionals, we don't have a competitive advantage over any of the other 3 franchises in our division. If the Bengals finish 4th in the division again next year, they aren't turning it around even if they win a couple more games. 

Archived