2020 Season Post-Mortem

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

No, this isn't a team that can quickly turn around. We forget that Taylor was hired to improve on Marvin's final season of 7-9. How's that going so far? Not very well and he'll be regarded as a lame duck next year by everyone including prospective free agents and assistants. Burrow's injury was no surprise, it was entirely predictable. He was a rookie QB taking a beating behind a bad O-line. That bad O-line wasn't a result of injuries, it was the result of bad decisions. 

The NFL is a league built for parity. It's actually pretty hard to go 30 years without a playoff win but we all know of someone who has managed that feat. When Jimmy Haslam was letting hobos pick his QB with Manziel, we could compete. Once he turned things over to professionals, we don't have a competitive advantage over any of the other 3 franchises in our division. If the Bengals finish 4th in the division again next year, they aren't turning it around even if they win a couple more games. 

Actually, I think the team can turn it around and make the playoffs next year.  If they keep this current format that means almost 44% of the teams make it.

The problem is we would probably just be a warm up act for a better team like I think Cleveland will be. The Stealers sat 6 starters yesterday and almost beat the Browns.  I can’t see Cleveland winning at Pittsburgh next week 

This team is so far away from the talent level I see on teams like KC, Green Bay, Nawlins and dare I say the Bills it is frustrating.  2015 was the last team in 30 years I actually thought had a legit chance to do damage.  

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Actually, I think the team can turn it around and make the playoffs next year.  If they keep this current format that means almost 44% of the teams make it.

The problem is we would probably just be a warm up act for a better team like I think Cleveland will be. The Stealers sat 6 starters yesterday and almost beat the Browns.  I can’t see Cleveland winning at Pittsburgh next week 

This team is so far away from the talent level I see on teams like KC, Green Bay, Nawlins and dare I say the Bills it is frustrating.  2015 was the last team in 30 years I actually thought had a legit chance to do damage.  

This team won't turn it around because it can't.  Short of major injuries for at least one and probably a couple of the other teams in the division. Those other 3 teams are better run, have better coaches and better players. We may spring an upset, maybe even 2 and go 2-4 in the division but that's not playoff worthy. Burrow may well be the best QB in the AFCN by 2022 if Rothlisberger is retired and Jackson has lost a step. But if Taylor is still the coach and playcaller and Anarumo the DC, we will be getting outcoached again regularly. 

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

Resigned Whit and Zeitler???

Lol..I mean at the time they re-signed

Hart...

Quite frankly they havent been good since the 2015 drafts busts of Cedric and Fisher..

I remember reading both their weaknesses and it was Cedric allways holding and Jake jumping way too much..flags...

I never thought either would be That Bad though..

5 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Lol..I mean at the time they re-signed

Hart...

Quite frankly they havent been good since the 2015 drafts busts of Cedric and Fisher..

I remember reading both their weaknesses and it was Cedric allways holding and Jake jumping way too much..flags...

I never thought either would be That Bad though..

I can’t believe how many times I watched Cedric NOT move when the ball was hiked.  Couldn’t even remember the snap count.  

8 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I can’t believe how many times I watched Cedric NOT move when the ball was hiked.  Couldn’t even remember the snap count.  

Seriously if the Bengals are in a position to get Sewell then G Tre Smith outta Tennessee  we'd have enough to ease JB's comfort level about protection..

Sewell with the big vet Spain next to him would be powerful.

Jonah and Smith on he right side would be solid..

Thats a damn good foundation no?

40 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Seriously if the Bengals are in a position to get Sewell then G Tre Smith outta Tennessee  we'd have enough to ease JB's comfort level about protection..

Sewell with the big vet Spain next to him would be powerful.

Jonah and Smith on he right side would be solid..

Thats a damn good foundation no?

Why would Jonah move to the right side?

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

It set them back 5 years minimum. MONUMENTAL fuck up is an understatement. That should have been the end of the Tobin era right then and there. 

As long as Lou remains the D Co-ordinator this organisation is NOT stiffing the playoffs let alone having success there. We literally gave up FOUR HUNDRED RUSHING YARDS yesterday which I believe is the highest amount in ??? SEVENTY PLUS YEARS......and this dude is likely to be retained??? Consider the defense pretty much SUCKED all year despite the "influx" last offseason of new players and it is just mind boggling......

Every season this franchise does the same shit......replaces a couple of lower level assistants whilst otherwise continuing the exact same status quo and (somehow) every season we (myself included) are stunned with the EXACT SAME SHITTY RESULTS!

10 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Signed a better RT as a free agent , pay Hart half as much because no one else wanted him, admitted the team had drafted poorly and helped to add more scouts to the team, trade for a better RT. Lots of options

Their RT was there for them 2 yrs ago. Orlando Brown. Instead of drafting him, the Bengals were busy drafting Billy Price and Malik Jefferson

20 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Their RT was there for them 2 yrs ago. Orlando Brown. Instead of drafting him, the Bengals were busy drafting Billy Price and Malik Jefferson

And now with Hopkins having a torn ACL and not available at the start of the year, watch Hobs talk up price as our new starting C for the coming season. 

Sunday was a punch in the dick all the way around.

Bummed about it ever since and have been mentally prepping this essay response.

Sunday... We lost.  No surprise there.  We were blown out and gave up a franchise high rushing record.

We didn't show up and some of those who did I never heard of.  Who is Jalen Davis and what was he doing

getting his ass burned to a crisp by their slot receiver?  OK... World of Suck.  Protect the Pick.

Props to Margus Hunt for knocking down two passes in consecutive plays bouncing one into Davis-Gaither's hands

and Trayveon Williams's 55 yard run.

Game over, scoreboard watching.  Nope, no help here.

I hate depending on other teams for a crumb here and there and it didn't happen.

Both Atlanta and Texans won so our draft position did not change.

Basically, every year I get depressed after out last game.  No kidding.

Long time until the next opening day kick off.

Texans and Falcons did not help my vile mood.

We draft 5th and are now depending on other teams for our pick, hoping someone

like Sewell or Chase drop, somehow.  Jacksonville gets Trevor, of course.

This leave Jets, Dolphins and Falcons.  Who we get depends on them, of course,

and very likely whom they trade with and who that team wants.

My thinking now is Pray for Sewell, take Chase if he is there because he is too good to pass up.

Maybe trade if someone is orgasmic and gives up the ranch and livestock for Chase or a quarterback.

So, without Sewell and Chase who remains who is worth the 5th pick in the draft.

Yeah, I like Pitt and Parsons a lot.  Slater, too, but do not think any, esp the first two are

worth the 5th pick.  Drop a couple slots via trade and pick up an extra pick and still get one.

I guess if you take a flyer on either at 5 it would be OK.

Its been forever since we have had a killer linebacker (Burfict not counted) and Parsons would be good

there especially with the young guys we have now.  Get rid of Golden Boy and get someone in there who

knows what they are doing and how to develop and utilize linebackers.   

PItt is intriguing and that is very high for a tight end.

But... yeah, with his talent and Joe Burrow's arm going to another target...  scary.

Post game radio show talked about how when Lemer was drafted by Baltimore

they designed a three tight end offense for him.  How about Pitt, C.J. (if he back at 100%)

and Sample who I do not think is as horrible as a lot of people.

Long time until April 29 (in Cleveland?  You're kidding!)

I hate the waiting.

Archived