Ratbirds on the Barbie Game Day Thread

On 1/5/2021 at 3:55 PM, SF2 said:

Andy Reid makes $10 mil a year.  Zac makes high 6 figures.  Great coordinators will fall over themselves to coach with Reid, Zac not so much.   The Browns are not giving up $9 mil off their bottom line.  They won’t give up $5 mil. That is the “Cheapness” people speak of. 

How do you know how much Taylor makes? I believe the Bengals offered Todd Grantham less than Florida did when he turned the job down in 2019.  Marvin was said to be making typical NFL HC compensation by the end of his time here. Matt Rhule is making 9 mil on his first contract and that was said to be exceptionally high for a new coach. 

If the Bengals are unwilling to pay market rates for coaches and support staff, it's hardly surprising they have subpar results. Teams have the same salary cap for players, the franchise differentiators are the front office including ownership, the coaching and training staff, and the facilities.  Bengals don't have an advantage over the other AFCN teams in any of those areas. 

47 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

How do you know how much Taylor makes? I believe the Bengals offered Todd Grantham less than Florida did when he turned the job down in 2019.  Marvin was said to be making typical NFL HC compensation by the end of his time here. Matt Rhule is making 9 mil on his first contract and that was said to be exceptionally high for a new coach. 

If the Bengals are unwilling to pay market rates for coaches and support staff, it's hardly surprising they have subpar results. Teams have the same salary cap for players, the franchise differentiators are the front office including ownership, the coaching and training staff, and the facilities.  Bengals don't have an advantage over the other AFCN teams in any of those areas. 

Ok ..

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Marvin was said to be making typical NFL HC compensation by the end of his time here. 

If the Bengals are unwilling to pay market rates for coaches and support staff, it's hardly surprising they have subpar results. 

Yes, Marvin was being paid average pay as the 2nd longest serving coach in the league behind Bellichek. That is sad. 

Totally agree on second point. 

On 1/5/2021 at 8:24 PM, SF2 said:

1. Meyer was offered $150 mil over 10 years to coach Texas.  He said no. 

2. Meyer left Ohio State because of health issues.  He had the exact same issue at Florida.  He thought it was under control but was wrong.  He loves to coach and the money was stupid. 

3.  I watched the Clemson game with his wife  Shelly and friends at a bar in Siesta Key this weekend.  I don’t think he is coaching again.  I could be wrong, he is being offered crazy money. Two of the nicest people you will ever meet. 

Sounds like the answer is:

1)  Urban Meyer quits whenever things get tough.

2)  He is full of shit and his "health issue" is either bullshit, minor, or something he ignores when he wants something.

7 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Sounds like the answer is:

1)  Urban Meyer quits whenever things get tough.

2)  He is full of shit and his "health issue" is either bullshit, minor, or something he ignores when he wants something.

No he has a health issue, he simply couldn’t turn down the money and loves to coach.  I give it 5 years tops.  He is going to Jacksonville.  There are no rich alumni assholes there, low expectations  and no NCAA douchebags following him around 24/7. 

He would have made more if he went to Texas but the alumni there are off the charts crazy. 

BTW, why are you so upset that Urban Meyer went to Jacksonville?  Did he touch you in a bad place?  Oh, I get it.  Lawrence is probably a generational talent and you are mad Jacksonville actually spent serious ACTUAL money on a coach who will, without a doubt, bring in very experienced assistants.  That makes sense. 

Honesty, it must be nice for Jacksonville fans to not have to Google the name of their new coach to figure out who the fuck he is like we had to. 

31 minutes ago, SF2 said:

No he has a health issue, he simply couldn’t turn down the money and loves to coach.  I give it 5 years tops.  He is going to Jacksonville.  There are no rich alumni assholes there, low expectations  and no NCAA douchebags following him around 24/7. 

He would have made more if he went to Texas but the alumni there are off the charts crazy. 

BTW, why are you so upset that Urban Meyer went to Jacksonville?  Did he touch you in a bad place?  Oh, I get it.  Lawrence is probably a generational talent and you are mad Jacksonville actually spent serious ACTUAL money on a coach who will, without a doubt, bring in very experienced assistants.  That makes sense. 

Honesty, it must be nice for Jacksonville fans to not have to Google the name of their new coach to figure out who the fuck he is like we had to. 

Glad you met his wife and she was nice.  

I still think he’s full of shit.  

Why are you hanging on his nutsack?

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Glad you met his wife and she was nice.  

I still think he’s full of shit.  

Why are you hanging on his nutsack?

Don’t normally hear a guy who has won 3 National Championships described as full of shit.  He didn’t steal anyone’s money. He never got fired and took a big payout to leave.  

He is an Ohio guy. Hell,  he coached at St X high school for awhile.  He won 2 Naties at Florida and left to coach his beloved Buckeyes. You are aware he graduated from UC and then got his Master’s degree at Ohio State, right? 

Did I mention he won 3 National Championships?   

Here is a prediction, the Jaguars will win a playoff game before the Bengals.  Oh, and they will win more than 4 games next year.  

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

Don’t normally hear a guy who has won 3 National Championships described as full of shit.  He didn’t steal anyone’s money. He never got fired and took a big payout to leave.  

He is an Ohio guy. Hell,  he coached at St X high school for awhile.  He won 2 Naties at Florida and left to coach his beloved Buckeyes. You are aware he graduated from UC and then got his Master’s degree at Ohio State, right? 

Did I mention he won 3 National Championships?   

Here is a prediction, the Jaguars will win a playoff game before the Bengals.  Oh, and they will win more than 4 games next year.  

First of all, I don’t care where he is from or how many national championships he won.  Has nothing to do with Meyer being full of shit. 

The guy left Florida in a cloud.  Bad season, player arrests, and then an article quoting players saying the program was toxic and essentially Meyer was an ass.   He claimed he was “retiring” due to health reasons.  According to Wikipedia his health issues are GERD that causes chest pains and a cyst that causes headaches.  

After retiring he took the OSU job about 8 months later. All is well at OSU until he gets heat for, allegedly, covering up spousal abuse by an assistant coach.  Gets suspended by the university and then retired at the end of the season due to health reasons.  

Now he’s back as the coach of the Jags.  

If he can relate to professional football players he will likely be successful. He can coach.  

He is also 100% full of shit and quits when things get tough on him.  

SI article on Meyer, some interesting comments on culture:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/14/urban-meyer-jacksonville-jaguars-done-his-homework

There are certain organizations that win every year. There are certain organizations that can’t win, yet they have better players on paper than the other organizations, because they draft before them every year. Every year. So I’d challenge everyone, ‘When you say they’re a bad player, what, are you out of your mind?’ They’re not bad players.”

Meyer was just getting rolling, in explaining what, as he sees it, it is.

“Culture and criteria,” he continued. “There’s two things you have to do. Number one, develop and implement a culture in your organization. And it’s gotta be a culture: This is the way it is, nonnegotiable. And then the other thing is talent acquisition. How are you acquiring talent? What’s your criteria? Is everyone on the same page? And what I found out, those who win, that’s it. Those who fail to win, that’s it.

“It’s not whether they run the zone or the stretch play, or the three-level passing vs. the crossing routes. I know people think that’s it. Yeah, that’s fun. That’s intriguing. But that’s not why certain teams win. You walk in the locker room and you know why they win. And you talk to your players who are in those organizations and you know exactly why they win. Because the head coach and GM, and everyone, are aligned with culture and talent acquisition.”

15 hours ago, SF2 said:

High 6 figures. Not even 1 mil.  

That seems pretty low. 

1 How do you know?

2 He was likely making close to that as Rams QB coach. The Rams OC certainly makes more than 1 mil. I'll bet Taylor makes 2-3 mil per year, ie at least half of what Marvin made at the end.

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

That seems pretty low. 

1 How do you know?

2 He was likely making close to that as Rams QB coach. The Rams OC certainly makes more than 1 mil. I'll bet Taylor makes 2-3 mil per year, ie at least half of what Marvin made at the end.

A young position coach in the NFL might make $250k depending on the position.  Proven veteran coaches make more.  Certainly O and D coordinators make more if they are experienced AND successful.  

No way Taylor was making close to 1mil as a young QB coach in LA especially since McVay runs the offense himself.  

The entire Bengals coaching staff is paid commensurate to their experience at the position.  In other words, not as much as their peers.  Taylor was a completely inexperienced coach basically given a chance to prove himself.  No way he is being paid anything close to average, NO other team would give him this opportunity.  

Sure the Bengals coaches are likely making less than their peers. Pollack is probably an exception as he got an upgraded title when he came back. He's probably making more than he did when working for Marv.  

But it's hard to believe an NFL HC would be making less than a 5th of what a power conference college coach makes. Top college coaches make about 10 mil and lots make half of that. Top NFL coaches make more than 10 mil and the average is said to be about 6 mil. Taylor is certainly in the bottom half for pay but I don't think any NFL coach is below 1 mil and likely none are below 2 since there are plenty of assistants making that much. 

22 hours ago, SF2 said:

A young position coach in the NFL might make $250k depending on the position.  Proven veteran coaches make more.  Certainly O and D coordinators make more if they are experienced AND successful.  

No way Taylor was making close to 1mil as a young QB coach in LA especially since McVay runs the offense himself.  

The entire Bengals coaching staff is paid commensurate to their experience at the position.  In other words, not as much as their peers.  Taylor was a completely inexperienced coach basically given a chance to prove himself.  No way he is being paid anything close to average, NO other team would give him this opportunity.  

Yep...

Regardless of his salary he was given the chance to be an NFL HC...

Now win more and the salary goes up..

18 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Yep...

Regardless of his salary he was given the chance to be an NFL HC...

Now win more and the salary goes up..

100% correct.  No way he sniffs an HC spot anywhere else for at least 4 or 5 years and not before he is an NFL OC or DC at some point for a few years.  He was given a chance he didn’t earn the old fashioned way so he better make the best of it.  

On 1/15/2021 at 4:16 PM, SF2 said:

No way he should be paid anything close to avg. Taylor doesn't have the cred to demand avg head coaching pay. As for Urban Meyer I doubt the Bengals were a fit for him two yrs ago. 

As for the Jags, he'll have very good immediate success there. They're getting a generational QB in the draft. They have all sorts of draft choices and cap space to work with. I think Urban will kill it with his draft picks and (this is a big one) his division is very weak. The best QB is on the worst team/organization, Houston. That'a far better situation than here in Cincinnati. I think the Bengals could win that division next year. 

1 hour ago, Sea Ray said:

No way he should be paid anything close to avg. Taylor doesn't have the cred to demand avg head coaching pay. As for Urban Meyer I doubt the Bengals were a fit for him two yrs ago. 

As for the Jags, he'll have very good immediate success there. They're getting a generational QB in the draft. They have all sorts of draft choices and cap space to work with. I think Urban will kill it with his draft picks and (this is a big one) his division is very weak. The best QB is on the worst team/organization, Houston. That'a far better situation than here in Cincinnati. I think the Bengals could win that division next year. 

Coming to the Bengals would be a pay cut for Meyer or a guy from any of the top college jobs. 

Archived