Coaching Changes / Potential Candidates

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

It's good corporate politics for Burrow to echo the party line. But even a rookie knows we don't have a great foundation and great people at the top. Indeed, they are part of the problem.

Did Zac say he was passing on the Senior bowl? Is it even being played this year?

Zac said they would be down there evaluating (just not coaching)

7 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

The players liked Marvin too.

Players are played to play.

Normal franchises have a front office that's paid to make the right decisions. 

It's amazing, the Cincinnati press has dubbed MB to be "unemotional" about these decisions. I'd say it's the opposite.

Marvin Lewis was kept in 2017 because he won two meaningless games at the end of the season. That's not emotional?

Zac Taylor largely seems to be staying on because he beat Pittsburgh in prime time. Is that not emotional?

All in all, it seems par for the course. It's an organization that is managed without a plan. They sorta just go with the flow and make decisions when they're forced to. 

Thats nit how i believe it works now..

Katy took the reins in 2019..

She spent alot on improving our defense to make it formidable in our division..injuries and age hampered that..

The draft was good wuth JB Higgins Wilson and Gaither...still like it..

Lets see after dropping a shitload of salaries if she'll be looking to make the offense suited to JB..

I think she will..

1 hour ago, gupps said:

It's the Bengals. Wanna bet?

That the pay is slightly more ?  Either way I'm pretty sure it comes with Ketchup...  I'm not sure I can bet on the cheapness of the Bengal's.  I would surely lose.

Odds on favorite for hire is New York Giants fired offensive line coach Marc Colombo who can bunk with Lou.  He may want franchise manager pay.

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If they are thinking of promoting Ben Martin to O-line coach, that's a disaster in the making. Let's hire someone who has been an NFL O-line coach and isn't responsible for the current suckitude. 

Lapham on the radio said tonight that he does not think Martin is a candidate for the O-line job. He mentioned Browns asst Scott Peters as someone they should consider and Frank Pollack who will likely be cut loose by the Jets

53 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Lapham on the radio said tonight that he does not think Martin is a candidate for the O-line job. He mentioned Browns asst Scott Peters as someone they should consider and Frank Pollack who will likely be cut loose by the Jets

I thought Pollack wanted out and left.  Not sure why he’d want to come back.

Just give me a fresh start with the OL and RBs coaches.

That'll fix a lot.

As for Lou, I'd keep him. I think the D performance is unfairly picked on.

The D kept us in games with 2nd and 3rd strings.  Let's hope the FA defensive pickups last offseason get a injury free run in 2021.

4 hours ago, Spotto said:

That'll fix a lot.

The D kept us in games with 2nd and 3rd strings.  Let's hope the FA defensive pickups last offseason get a injury free run in 2021.

Apparently so would (will) the Bengals front office.

6 hours ago, Spotto said:

Baltimore had 405 yards rushing.  

I may be way off base here, but I think that our D played a part in that...and deserves being picked on.

Then again, maybe all that Mike Brown needs to do is to pay some homeless guy $10 to dress up in the opposing team’s uniform and dance on the “B” logo before any home games.  That move alone would get us to an 8-8 record.  😎

🦗

11 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

I thought Pollack wanted out and left.  Not sure why he’d want to come back.

As I recall he saw that he was not wanted by Zac Taylor so then he wanted to be released to find other opportunities. Remember Zac didn't get announced until after the Super Bowl. Pollack couldn't wait that long for obvious reasons. Lapham was closer to the situation than us. He wouldn't have brought him up as a possibility if they parted on bad terms

7 hours ago, Spotto said:

That'll fix a lot.

My problem with Lou is that the players don't seem to like/respect him. That's why Dunlap left

43 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

My problem with Lou is that the players don't seem to like/respect him. That's why Dunlap left

Not to mention the guy has shown nothing as a DC - perfect reason to keep him (a) he is of little use and (b) he cannot communicate. 

It's all OK though, we will show our stripes next year!

55 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Do we really know of Dunlap's problems were with Lou or the DL coaches?  It could have been with the DL coaches and the DC just supported his coaches.  Hard to tell.  The numbers say Lou is awful.  Then again, who could they really get with a potential lame duck HC?

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

Do we really know of Dunlap's problems were with Lou or the DL coaches?  It could have been with the DL coaches and the DC just supported his coaches.  Hard to tell.  The numbers say Lou is awful.  Then again, who could they really get with a potential lame duck HC?

The Toyota '5 Why's' in root cause analysis would force the following conclusion.

1. Why can't we fire Lou? Because we won't find anyone better.

2. Why won't we find anyone better? Because Zac Shula is a lame duck coach

3. Why is Shula a lame duck coach? Because he has the worst record in 2 years of any NFL coach in history.

4. Why does he have the worst record? Because the roster is terrible and he is inexperienced

5. Why is the roster terrible? Because of poor drafting and personnel decisions.

Etc, etc. 

50 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The Toyota '5 Why's' in root cause analysis would force the following conclusion.

1. Why can't we fire Lou? Because we won't find anyone better.

2. Why won't we find anyone better? Because Zac Shula is a lame duck coach

3. Why is Shula a lame duck coach? Because he has the worst record in 2 years of any NFL coach in history.

4. Why does he have the worst record? Because the roster is terrible and he is inexperienced

5. Why is the roster terrible? Because of poor drafting and personnel decisions.

Etc, etc. 

Not that this really make things "all better", but worst record in 2 years of any NFL coach in history is held by old Hue baby 1-31 first 2 years then was fired after he got to 3-36-1 in 2 1/2 years 🤪

Out of curiosity, I tried to find more information about Frank Pollack.  In the process of searching, I ran across an interesting chart on Offensive Line Coaches from 2018.  Note: The top coach on the list is not currently coaching.

image.png

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/who-has-the-juice-nfl-offensive-line-coaches

Frank is at #5

1 hour ago, Numbers said:

Out of curiosity, I tried to find more information about Frank Pollack.  In the process of searching, I ran across an interesting chart on Offensive Line Coaches from 2018.  Note: The top coach on the list is not currently coaching.

image.png

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/who-has-the-juice-nfl-offensive-line-coaches

Frank is at #5

He's not coaching because he's old as shit, he retired after 34 years with the Pats.

He's 72 and he's not coming out of retirement to coach under Taylor. 

The Bengals should hire Willie Anderson, seriously.  He's a teacher and understands how to coach up young players. 

2 hours ago, MOC said:

Not that this really make things "all better", but worst record in 2 years of any NFL coach in history is held by old Hue baby 1-31 first 2 years then was fired after he got to 3-36-1 in 2 1/2 years 🤪

...and was then promptly hired by the Bengals.  :glare:

2 hours ago, Numbers said:

image.png

Frank is at #5

Outstanding chart Numbers..

Id go Pollack then..

Anyone would be better than Turner but Pollack would be a good choice imo..

2 hours ago, Numbers said:

image.png

Frank is at #5

#14 and #29 both are available and both have ties to our staff. 

Heres the final ratings on our esteemed linebacking unit under the Great Al Notso Golden....

Logan Wison.....54

Davis Gaither.....40

Pratt...................52

Bynes ................41

Bailey...................30..

Want to congratulate Big Al for 

taking this unit to the lowest ratings of 

any backer unit in the NFL..

I hate this guy as a coach!!!

Im thinking Vontaze Burfict could coach them up..

Golden is horrible!!!

34 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Heres the final ratings on our esteemed linebacking unit under the Great Al Notso Golden....

Logan Wison.....54

Davis Gaither.....40

Pratt...................52

Bynes ................41

Bailey...................30..

Want to congratulate Big Al for 

taking this unit to the lowest ratings of 

any backer unit in the NFL..

I hate this guy as a coach!!!

Im thinking Vontaze Burfict could coach them up..

Golden is horrible!!!

Wait, we had Linebackers on the team this year?  Well, isn’t that special.  

Archived