Coaching Changes / Potential Candidates

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

He's not coaching because he's old as shit, he retired after 34 years with the Pats.

He's 72 and he's not coming out of retirement to coach under Taylor. 

The Bengals should hire Willie Anderson, seriously.  He's a teacher and understands how to coach up young players. 

I still vote for Max Montoya.

He can teach them how to hold and get away with it.

I mean, they do it anyway so why not do it well?

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

He's not coaching because he's old as shit, he retired after 34 years with the Pats.

He's 72 and he's not coming out of retirement to coach under Taylor. 

The Bengals should hire Willie Anderson, seriously.  He's a teacher and understands how to coach up young players. 

not to be critical - but - this may be one of my favorite posts of yours.

I think Willie warrants some consideration.

Dave Lapham shares likely candidates for Bengals’ OL coach vacancy

Bengals radio analyst Dave Lapham thinks an assistant might come from within the AFC North.

By Nick Manchester@NickManchester9  Jan 6, 2021, 6:00am EST 

Dave Lapham, former offensive lineman for the Bengals and current Bengals Radio Network analyst, went on 700 WLW to talk about the current vacancy in the Bengals’ offensive line room.

Jim Turner will soon be officially fired as offensive line coach, and the Bengals need to find someone to replace him. Lapham suggested that a name close to the Bengals could defect from another AFC North team.

“A guy that I would look at if I were the Cincinnati Bengals, Brian’s (Callahan) dad Bill (Callahan) is the best offensive line coach in the National Football League. And he was unable to coach—he had to coach from home [on Sunday] for the Cleveland Browns because of COVID-19. His assistant Scott Peters did as well,” Lapham said. ”Scott Peters is the expert in martial arts, hand fighting, those kind of things. Scott Peters is a young rising star I think. I might investigate because obviously, Brian and Bill (Callahan), they will be able to basically tell each other everything there is to know about Scott Peters and more. Brian can get all the intel you need and want and I think Scott Peters should be a guy they contemplate.”

Callahan is given most of the credit for turning around the Browns’ offensive line, which had several rookies involved, and helping establish a top-tier rushing offense.

Peters only has one year of coaching experience, but he was an eight-year veteran at interior offensive line.

Lapham also mentioned Frank Pollack, who coached the Bengals’ offensive line in 2018. He was not retained after Marvin Lewis was fired and Zac Taylor brought in Turner. Pollack is currently with the Jets, but may be a casualty of the changing of the guard in New York after head coach Adam Gase was fired.

One of Taylor’s first hires was Ben Martin, who has been an offensive assistant working with Turner. Some have pegged him for the job since he will return for next season, though Lapham doesn’t think he has much of a chance.

Whoever it is will have a huge input this offseason, as the Bengals desperately need to address the line in free agency and the draft.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The thing I like about Dave Lapham (one of many) is he seems to be the guy used by the Bengals to leak information.  So I would give this credence.

I did get a bit lost, can they poach Papa Callahan from the Clowns?  Would they have to create a position that would be a promotion and get him that way?

Peters only has one year of coaching experience, but he was an eight-year veteran at interior offensive line.

Lapham also mentioned Frank Pollack, who coached the Bengals’ offensive line in 2018. He was not retained after Marvin Lewis was fired and Zac Taylor brought in Turner. Pollack is currently with the Jets, but may be a casualty of the changing of the guard in New York after head coach Adam Gase was fired.

One of Taylor’s first hires was Ben Martin, who has been an offensive assistant working with Turner. Some have pegged him for the job since he will return for next season, though Lapham doesn’t think he has much of a chance.

Whoever it is will have a huge input this offseason, as the Bengals desperately need to address the line in free agency and the draft.

Every position coach is looking to take the next step. You have the best chance of that if you make a visible impact. This is the reason I think there are good coaches, particularly OL coaches, who would love to come here. If you join a team that already has a good OL the risk is that they won't play as well and even if they do it won't be viewed as impactful. But if you take a position as Bengals OL coach, with apparent high OL pick(s) and a sellable position for a good OL in FA, and you can take them from where they are to maybe 13th or so you can get real attention within the coaching ranks. That possible OC position you covet becomes a closer possibility every year the OL performs well. I hear that "good coaches will shun the Bengals", But if they are good and have confidence in their ability they would be in a position to really get some notoriety among the coaching ranks in the league.  I also don't think we are as far from contention as our record indicates so some could also point to the new OLC as a solid reason why.    

I forgot to add that I attend just about every Bengals related event for years and that includes coaching clinics that they put on for H.S. and small college coaches. I attended the clinic (anyone who wants can attend if the pay the fee ($150 if I remember correctly, when Pollock was hired. I was very impressed with him. He seemed a tough no nonsense guy who understood that his job was instruction and not just the drill sergeant approach that Turner used. If he did come back I think he will be able to really instruct players like MJ and Adeniji in fixing the techniques that they needed to improve. Those guys have the tools but need real technique refinement IMO. I see both of them as future solid players.  

6 minutes ago, JungleJohn said:

I forgot to add that I attend just about every Bengals related event for years and that includes coaching clinics that they put on for H.S. and small college coaches. I attended the clinic (anyone who wants can attend if the pay the fee ($150 if I remember correctly, when Pollock was hired. I was very impressed with him. He seemed a tough no nonsense guy who understood that his job was instruction and not just the drill sergeant approach that Turner used. If he did come back I think he will be able to really instruct players like MJ and Adeniji in fixing the techniques that they needed to improve. Those guys have the tools but need real technique refinement IMO. I see both of them as future solid players.  

Good post.. I agree about Pollick..

17 minutes ago, JungleJohn said:

Agree, good post and insight and

add Billy Price to the list.

I still like that guy and would like to see him make it.

Lost in here somewhere and we all know Lou Armadillo is coming back.

I've said on here a couple times what Tim McGee said on a post game radio show

that if Lou was fired they would have a difficult time finding a good replacement

with Zac on a one year do-or-die contract.

If he goes, the newbie DC would go after one year and be back coaching high school ball

in Vermilion Ohio.

16 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Lost in here somewhere and we all know Lou Armadillo is coming back.

I've said on here a couple times what Tim McGee said on a post game radio show

that if Lou was fired they would have a difficult time finding a good replacement

with Zac on a one year do-or-die contract.

If he goes, the newbie DC would go after one year and be back coaching high school ball

in Vermilion Ohio.

Enlightening..tks

On 1/6/2021 at 1:28 AM, Sea Ray said:

My problem with Lou is that the players don't seem to like/respect him. That's why Dunlap left

6 weeks ago Dunlap was at fault. 

404 yds against the D is not all the coaches fault, most of the team both sides of the ball were already on vacation.

Going to interview Fraley Friday but here are some stats on the other guys. 

OL Coach Run Block Win Rate Pass Block Win Rate Current
Phil Rauscher 21 18 Vikings Asst OL Coach
Chris Foerster 25 22 49ers Asst OL Coach
Chris Morgan 28 16 Falcons OL Coach
Lemuel Jeanpierre 23 27 Dolphins Asst OL Coach
James Campen 32 31 Chargers OL Coach
Frank Pollack 30 29 Jets OL Coach
Hank Fraley 14 20 Lions OL Coach
George Warhop 26 25 Jags OL Coach
Scott Peters 13 2 Browns Asst OL Coach
Mike Devlin 5 19 Texans OL Coach
Luke Butkus 1 1 Packers Asst OL Coach
Bengals 11 29  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

17 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Going to interview Fraley Friday but here are some stats on the other guys. 

OL Coach Run Block Win Rate Pass Block Win Rate Current
Phil Rauscher 21 18 Vikings Asst OL Coach
Chris Foerster 25 22 49ers Asst OL Coach
Chris Morgan 28 16 Falcons OL Coach
Lemuel Jeanpierre 23 27 Dolphins Asst OL Coach
James Campen 32 31 Chargers OL Coach
Frank Pollack 30 29 Jets OL Coach
Hank Fraley 14 20 Lions OL Coach
George Warhop 26 25 Jags OL Coach
Scott Peters 13 2 Browns Asst OL Coach
Mike Devlin 5 19 Texans OL Coach
Luke Butkus 1 1 Packers Asst OL Coach
Bengals 11 29  

Sorry for my ignorance but is the chart based on rank or percentage?

4 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Ok gotcha..

How about Sam Hubbard being top dog at run stopping win rate!!

Now if he can only lift his sack total..

Good stuff Michael..

8 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Ok gotcha..

How about Sam Hubbard being top dog at run stopping win rate!!

Now if he can only lift his sack total..

Good stuff Michael..

I know and a bunch of free agents in there. Including Cory Linsley who I think will/should be priority 1 in FA. Linsley-Scherff-Williams-Whitworth all interesting. On the DL Smoot and Basham are both FAs

Archived