Coaching Changes / Potential Candidates

23 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Anyway I hope Pollack's here for more than one year & can make a real impact this time.

I hope they let him make some personnel evaluations as well.  Turner guys like Jordan and Hart need to be replaced.   Even if you are a good coach you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

8 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I hope they let him make some personnel evaluations as well.  Turner guys like Jordan and Hart need to be replaced.   Even if you are a good coach you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Hart needs to go, but Jordan is talented.  He was a top 5 or 10 OL recruit coming out of high school and started for Ohio State as a true freshman from Game 1.  Not many OL have done that.  He's also still pretty young.  Hopefully Pollack can develop him.

18 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

No doubt he has a better eye for talent than Degen Turner or the Ketchup Whisperer, but...  Well I've said it before but letting coaches make draft picks is how you end up with a bunch of projects.  Any coach worth their whistle is going to think they're the guy that can unlock all that potential.  We saw it even with a top coach like Zimmer & the Margus pick.  That's fine in the 5th round if you want to let a great coach take a flyer on someone but with no other qualified voices in the room we get Ross, Ogbuehi, Sample, Finley.. and so on. 

Coaches are not great draft scouts.

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hart needs to go, but Jordan is talented.  He was a top 5 or 10 OL recruit coming out of high school 

If Kerry Coombs was still coaching at Colerain High School he would get him a post office box

in Monfort Heights to establish residency and put him on the team.  

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Hart needs to go, but Jordan is talented.  He was a top 5 or 10 OL recruit coming out of high school and started for Ohio State as a true freshman from Game 1.  Not many OL have done that.  He's also still pretty young.  Hopefully Pollack can develop him.

He has a couple years of being really bad.  Big difference in being a good college lineman and a good NFL lineman.  Being big and an early developer is great in college, but doesn't help much in the NFL.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

He has a couple years of being really bad.  Big difference in being a good college lineman and a good NFL lineman.  Being big and an early developer is great in college, but doesn't help much in the NFL.

If you have a good coach at any position, it is easier for the fans to sit back and let that coach figure out who is good, who can be good and who is trash. And given we ask our coaches to do a significant amount of the scouting, it is CRUCIAL the coaches be good ones. 

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Why does the NFL always seem to be circling the drain in Houston?

I wasn’t aware it was that bad but man, talk about just blowing smoke up everyone’s ass and then waiving the middle finger at them.  

19 hours ago, Numbers said:

Would Caserio be such a bad choice or would he be considered worse than Riddick or Khan ?

Just looking at the last 4 years of moves at New England, it certainly doesn’t look like they had any plan for Brady’s eventual departure.      

On 1/9/2021 at 6:21 PM, claptonrocks said:

Great day for the Oline..

He'll have to undo everything the last POS screwed up with theses guys..

Full confidence he'll do just that...

Whodey!

This is a mistake from two yrs ago now corrected. Zac never should have gone with Turner. He had Pollack but let him go. Hopefully this is one of many things Zac has learned

1 hour ago, Sea Ray said:

This is a mistake from two yrs ago now corrected. Zac never should have gone with Turner. He had Pollack but let him go. Hopefully this is one of many things Zac has learned

From the sounds of Hobson's reporting, Pollack himself requested to be let go, and the Bengals were "hesitant".  One can speculate the real reasons for any supposed hesitation - did they really think he was that good and wanted to retain him?  Mikey saw it as a contract being broken?  Did Zac already suggest Turner and the Bengals didn't really want him?  Who knows.

2 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

From the sounds of Hobson's reporting, Pollack himself requested to be let go, and the Bengals were "hesitant".  One can speculate the real reasons for any supposed hesitation - did they really think he was that good and wanted to retain him?  Mikey saw it as a contract being broken?  Did Zac already suggest Turner and the Bengals didn't really want him?  Who knows.

Only the shadow knows!

15 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

My recollection was that it was mid January and the Bengals were still weeks away from announcing their choice of head coach and Pollack was in limbo. The Bengals were not prepared to tell him he had a job and he knew the Jets were interested so the Bengals did the classy thing and let him pursue other opportunities. 

The Bengals have been criticized in the past for not allowing their HC to name his assistants but in the case of a mid 30s rookie HC, I think the team should NOT give him complete autonomy over the assistants. They should have said Pollack is your O-line coach

9 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

My recollection was that it was mid January and the Bengals were still weeks away from announcing their choice of head coach and Pollack was in limbo. The Bengals were not prepared to tell him he had a job and he knew the Jets were interested so the Bengals did the classy thing and let him pursue other opportunities. 

The Bengals have been criticized in the past for not allowing their HC to name his assistants but in the case of a mid 30s rookie HC, I think the team should NOT give him complete autonomy over the assistants. They should have said Pollack is your O-line coach

I agree. The difference between pollack and the likes of Turner are night and day and it is troubling that the HC and the team did not see this. Yes, it is fixed now but this was not a simple coin toss between different coaches. 

22 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Yeah agreed, they can give him some authority over his offensive assistants (since it's his "expertise") but the Bengals have to be able to choose themselves based on comfort, commitment/loyalty/whatever if they really want to.  Hence Simmons' retention.

44 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Honestly I think part of the problem there was finding good coordinators that weren't also infinitely more qualified for the HC job than Taylor (and probably at least as expensive).  

30 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Honestly I think part of the problem there was finding good coordinators that weren't also infinitely more qualified for the HC job than Taylor (and probably at least as expensive).  

True.  Many speculated this was the "issue" around the failed pursuit of Del Rio.

23 hours ago, Numbers said:

Would Caserio be such a bad choice or would he be considered worse than Riddick or Khan ?

I don't think Caserio could defeat the half-dead or StarFleet. 

Most of the blame in Houston seems to be attached to Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby. Florio rails against Easterby several times a week for reasons that aren't clear. 

Todd Grantham, the UF DC is the college coach who turned the Bengals job offer down 2 years ago.

Archived