Coaching Changes / Potential Candidates

2 hours ago, membengal said:

This would have some fascinating positive  implications for the off-season if E. Jesse is right.  Off the top of my head if she’s accurate:

1. Further evidence the Katie wing is in charge over the old man. The Mike brown M.O. is the annual debrief on the Monday after the final Sunday. IF the front office has already had these kind of discussions with ZT, then that points to Katie and crew.

2 this report coupled with dehner saying on his pod that he is 100% positive that Hart is gone makes me think he’s at least heard something similar at least with respect to Turner, as Turner has been Hart’s biggest champion. If Turner is gone, Hart being gone would be a simple conclusion.

3. Gives me hope that last years FA spending spree wasn’t a one-off.  If the Katie wing is in charge, they may indeed approach things differently than the old man. And, again per Dehner on his pod, Dehner was insistent they are going to spend big in FA at o-line. His insistence on that point makes more sense if he is also aware that the philosophy behind last year’s FA spend is flowing from the non-Mike Brown pieces of the front office who may now be in charge.

Hope Elise Jesse’s got solid sources on this one. Extra curious now how Monday and Tuesday unfold...

I hope you're right.  Caveats about Jesse noted. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Man I hope so, there's not a single person on this staff I would be upset about losing.  After 2 years and no real progress a competent team would be cleaning house.  But this... ain't that.

Obvisouly ZT isn't going anywhere. BUT, if they make significant changes below him (and have told him that's what's going down already) - that would be a decent change from standard operating procedure for the team. And give me some optimism that MikeB is indeed much receded. And that FA spending might indeed actually be a thing again this year. We will see after Sunday one way or another. 

45 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I hope you're right.  Caveats about Jesse noted. 

For sure caveats about E. Jesse noted. But that's why her story coupled with some of Dehner's certainty on Hear that Podcast Growlin' this week has me now much more interested in Monday and Tuesday than I was. I know ZT is back (which I am ok with) but had been assuming that there would be not much change beyond that. Perhaps I am wrong on that. That would be...really interesting. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Why does some past connection to Sean McVay mean a connection to Taylor? It's common for coaches to hire people they know and have worked for but just because someone was on the same staff as a young McVay doesn't make them a candidate for the Bengals. 

Taylor is inexperienced and has 3 mentors

McVay

Sherman

Callahan

If he is building a staff he is going to go to those guys to ask questions. It doesnt make them a definite candidate because that experience may have been bad, but it makes it much more likely. 

4 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

He wants to both coach and live at that Ranch. 

After thoughts on him yes Id like to see him as our DC..

He can be stern but not uncommunicative like Anusrumo...

If Zach is going to look over his shoulder with Zim then he shouldn't be coaching the team..

Hell every coach save a few would be in that predicament...

Zach will learn from Zim as well..

At Zims age 64 maybe taking on DC duties instead of the whole team might suit him...

5 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

After thoughts on him yes Id like to see him as our DC..

He can be stern but not uncommunicative like Anusrumo...

If Zach is going to look over his shoulder with Zim then he shouldn't be coaching the team..

Hell every coach save a few would be in that predicament...

Zach will learn from Zim as well..

At Zims age 64 maybe taking on DC duties instead of the whole team might suit him...

If Zim is fired I assume he will be here. I think it could even mean the end of Zac. I didn't realize he was so old though. 

Guess the Elise Jesse story mid-week was not bullshit. She is reporting today, confirmed by Ben Baby and Tyler Dragon that Turner, eason and one other defensive asst already been told they are out. 

Cincinnati Bengals Moving on From Multiple Coaches After Sunday's Season Finale - Sports Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More

This is extra interesting from that piece (this is not Mike Brown's style and more evidence that Katie and Troy are at the helm):

The front office told Taylor that he needed to make changes to his staff or they would revisit the conversation at a higher level, according to sources.

"make changes or else" isn't usually Mike's style...

9 minutes ago, membengal said:

Also, thank god Turner is gone. At least we know the front office isn't blind... also, more fuel to the Dehner reporting on his pod that Hart is definintely gone and that they will active addressing line in FA...

Great news on firing Turner..

Notso Golden and Annarumo should be gone as well..

Eason didnt have much to work with..oh well.

See ya Bobby..

Eason is a strange one to me unless he's the guy they're blaming for the Dunlap saga. Other than that, what did he have to work with this year? Not that I care either way, just seems like an odd fall guy is all. 

15 minutes ago, gupps said:

I'm not taking up for these guys or anything but why wouldn't you wait until the season is over before canning them?

Mike Brown would have. But I think Katie and Troy are more aggressive. And the message to ZT of "make changes or else" is very welcome to me. No reason to wait to deliver that. 

25 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I think this means Taylor will have to prove it next year. The "Or Else" part makes me believe that.

"Or else" what? They might consider holding him responsible for this shitshow, considering they were his hires in the first place?  I wanted Turner gone as much as anybody but he was just a symptom of bigger problems.  Basically comes off like "Wow you really fucked up so you better fire someone to make it look like we give a shit!"

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

"Or else" what? They might consider holding him responsible for this shitshow, considering they were his hires in the first place?  I wanted Turner gone as much as anybody but he was just a symptom of bigger problems.  Basically comes off like "Wow you really fucked up so you better fire someone to make it look like we give a shit!"

Yeah thats right man...keep hatin!

Don't stop at 3 changes. Thank God Turner is going. But let's see who his replacement is. If it's someone whose main qualification is they previously worked with Mike Sherman or Sean McVay, we'll still be in trouble.

The Bengals are the only NFL team without a dedicated pro personnel department and their inability to evaluate players from other teams carries over to coaches too.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Im not disagreeing with you re: larger problems (ie: the structural stuff like a scouting department) 

Archived