1st Round Trade?

4 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

If it costs #5 and our 3rd rounder, would you move up to #3 to get Sewell?

Your talking Miami here to trade with no?

Theyll have to want Chase at 5 .

Maybe they pass and go Sewell and get a good receiver in 2nd round..

Id do it but i doubt Miami will.

Im thinking theyll protect Tua with Sewell now and either sign or draft a receiver ..

Theyre in a good position ...

2 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Your talking Miami here to trade with no?

Theyll have to want Chase at 5 .

Maybe they pass and go Sewell and get a good receiver in 2nd round..

Id do it but i doubt Miami will.

Im thinking theyll protect Tua with Sewell now and either sign or draft a receiver ..

Theyre in a good position ...

Just remember that in that case they'd ostensibly be taking him to play RT, which may or may not decrease his perceived value.

No thanks.  That 3rd round pick has a good chance of being a better OL in the long run than Sewell.   Before anyone starts sputtering, that's just the nature of the draft & it happens all the time.  Don't make me go dig up those posts about how John Ross was going to change the NFL.

47 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Hes going to be somebodys LT

Well, it might be that Miami thinks he can play RT just as well (or better) than LT and they're happy to take him.  My only point is you draft OT's that high to be blind-side protectors, or else (at least in any logical sense) it's a waste of the value.

As much as I want Sewell, we need too much and I’d hate to trade a high pick to get him.  We need a guard as well and there are other good tackles in this draft.  Now, no one knows if they’ll fall to the 2nd round or not, but we have lots of holes to fill on the online and on defense.  I wouldn’t hate it if we trade up to get him, but I wouldn’t pull the trigger on a trade.  

1 hour ago, HavePityPlease said:

Well, it might be that Miami thinks he can play RT just as well (or better) than LT and they're happy to take him.  My only point is you draft OT's that high to be blind-side protectors, or else (at least in any logical sense) it's a waste of the value.

Well since Tua is Lefthanded a RT would protect his blindside..

8 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

As much as I want Sewell, we need too much and I’d hate to trade a high pick to get him.  We need a guard as well 

By my count we need 2 OT's at least one OG and a Center.  

OR we could do the usual thing where we expect guys to all recover perfectly from a season-ending injury and never, ever get hurt again.

And then act like it's bad luck instead of a lack of planning when they do.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

OR we could do the usual thing where we expect guys to all recover perfectly from a season-ending injury and never, ever get hurt again.

I couldn't love this post more. We do this every year. 

Signed XSF---A guard who has only every played LG and pretty badly.....well I guess the RG position is completely settled and we don't need anyone else.....

A trade wouldn't be completed until pick 3 is on the clock. But I'd be inclined to agree to trade 5 and our 3rd rounder for pick 3 if Sewell is available. It simplifies offseason planning and let's us focus on guard in FA. If we're looking for an OT in FA, he will be expensive. I'd rather give up a 3rd and get Sewell than pay 16.5 mil for Moton. 

20 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

A trade wouldn't be completed until pick 3 is on the clock. But I'd be inclined to agree to trade 5 and our 3rd rounder for pick 3 if Sewell is available. It simplifies offseason planning and let's us focus on guard in FA. If we're looking for an OT in FA, he will be expensive. I'd rather give up a 3rd and get Sewell than pay 16.5 mil for Moton. 

Moton will get $16.5 M or thereabouts because he has proven he can play OT at a consistently high level in the NFL.

That aside, why should I care how much he's paid? It's not like I get to pocket the difference.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Jonah Williams

Q. Spain

Hopkins

XSF

Orange Cone Hart

Williams and Spain are solid.  Hopkins tore his ACL in that last game.  We need a tackle to replace Hart, a center in case Hopkins isn't ready and a guard to compete with XSF.  Draft a tackle (hopefully Sewell), sign a center/guard in FA and you've go one more spot to fill, hopefully with a vet.  I don't think we want 3 rookies protecting Burrow next year.

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Moton will get $16.5 M or thereabouts because he has proven he can play OT at a consistently high level in the NFL.

That aside, why should I care how much he's paid? It's not like I get to pocket the difference.

It affects what other players we can sign.  One of the issues this year, IMO, is how much money we had tied up in the RB and WR positions.  I think we were top 5 at both positions.  

22 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Williams (is) solid

He's played in 10 of a possible 32 games due to injuries.  I guess that qualifies as solid by Bengals standards?

24 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Draft a tackle (hopefully Sewell), sign a center/guard in FA and you've go one more spot to fill, hopefully with a vet.  

Assuming everyone (including Williams) stays healthy all year.

I don't think we want 3 rookies protecting Burrow next year.

Wait, since when? I was assured that drafting someone in the top 10 guarantees a top tier pro performance in their rookie season and we should confidently bet the farm on them.

I haven't been impressed with Jonah Williams playing tackle since his arrival.

I actually believe he would be a better guard than a tackle.

I would move up to 3 to take Sewell and offer our 5th and a mid round pick (3-5) in next year's draft to Miami.

I'd replace Hart with Fred Johnson who has shown promise and has great size (6'7 330 lbs)

I think he needs better coaching and technique (Willie Anderson) and he would make a fine RT

17 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

I haven't been impressed with Jonah Williams playing tackle since his arrival.

I actually believe he would be a better guard than a tackle.

I would move up to 3 to take Sewell and offer our 5th and a mid round pick (3-5) in next year's draft to Miami.

I'd replace Hart with Fred Johnson who has shown promise and has great size (6'7 330 lbs)

I think he needs better coaching and technique (Willie Anderson) and he would make a fine RT

Agree about Williams.  He's no lock as a competent LT. 

I don't think there is any way Miami agrees to just a third to move up.  If they know a team wants to move up they are going to make them pay.  Not worth it.

Fred has shown little.  He's a backup at best.  They need two OTs.  One that can play immediately and one that could play soon, thus one from the draft and one from FA.

I was OK with Spain.  He makes some coin, so I would expect him to start.  They definitely need depth at guard.  I think the Michael Jordan era ends with Turner's departure.

I think Hopkins is solid at C if he doesn't have to worry about the two guys to the right and left of him.  Getting a decent OL coach will help with everyone understanding the calls and assignments.  Hopefully he comes back OK.  Most linemen do. 

On 1/6/2021 at 8:36 PM, T-Dub said:

No thanks.  That 3rd round pick has a good chance of being a better OL in the long run than Sewell.   Before anyone starts sputtering, that's just the nature of the draft & it happens all the time.  Don't make me go dig up those posts about how John Ross was going to change the NFL.

Or you can end up picking someone like Sean Brewer. The later rounds are bigger crap shoots than the first 2.

Archived