1st Round Trade?

15 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

It would be interesting to know who in the organization got so fixated on that number that they overlooked his general inability to play football at the NFL level.

Agree...

Thank God he'll be off the books now..

I think hes ok with it all..

Hell first round salary pick for 4 awful years aint a bad gig.

Edited..

17.1mil 4yrs..10mil signing bonus..

15 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

"Absolutely no chance Bengals move up offering a third "you said.

And you know this because???

Its the fifth pick in the 3rd btw..

I know it for the same reason you know the Jets will take that deal.  It’s an opinion, man. Stop it with the “prove it” BS.  Neither of us can.  

Atlanta or even Miami could very well take the player the Jets want.  Atlanta could want a QB, or maybe not.   If the Jets arent going QB Miami may take their guy.   Why would they risk that for a third round pick, even a high one?   The Jets will also know the Bengals want something and will have leverage to make them pay.  

I would bet a substantial sum that if the Bengals do move up it will cost them more than their third round pick 

12 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I know it for the same reason you know the Jets will take that deal.  It’s an opinion, man. Stop it with the “prove it” BS.  Neither of us can.  

Atlanta or even Miami could very well take the player the Jets want.  Atlanta could want a QB, or maybe not.   If the Jets arent going QB Miami may take their guy.   Why would they risk that for a third round pick, even a high one?   The Jets will also know the Bengals want something and will have leverage to make them pay.  

I would bet a substantial sum that if the Bengals do move up it will cost them more than their third round pick 

Point taken..

My view is if I were Miami

Id take the 5th pick and 5th in third..

They could go Chase or Pitts in the first and have 2 very good prospects in 3rd round with their Bengals pick and their own..

I think there’s a pretty good chance that they can stay right where they are and still get Sewell. I have a feeling Miami trades out with a team looking for a QB..

1 Lawrence

2 Wilson

3 Fields

4 Lance 

5 Sewell

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I think there’s a pretty good chance that they can stay right where they are and still get Sewell. I have a feeling Miami trades out with a team looking for a QB..

1 Lawrence

2 Wilson

3 Fields

4 Lance 

5 Sewell

I know QBs always go high, but I don't think we'll see four QBs go.  With Chase and D. Smith being two game breaking WRs, and Parsons being a GREAT LB prospect, it wouldn't surprise me if a WR (Mia?) or LB go before us.  I'd love for Sewell to fall to us, and I think there's a 50/50 chance that happens.  It'll depend on what the Jets do.  If they don't go QB, they make take Sewell and pair him with Beckton from last year's draft.

On 1/6/2021 at 7:24 PM, WRAPradio said:

If it costs #5 and our 3rd rounder, would you move up to #3 to get Sewell?

No. Add to that I believe Miami would laugh at that offer. My worthless opinion, Miami would want our 2nd round pick at the minimum, and possibly more. If Sewell is there at 5, take him. If he's gone, select Chase. If both are gone it gets dicier and my hope would be someone would want to trade up with us to pick a QB.

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah, really.  Is this supposed to be common knowledge?  Between him and Ogbuehi I think they'd fire the person if it were someone they could fire so signs point to the family..  but IDK, do you?

Oh I guarantee it was Mike Brown. Marvin wanted no part of Ross from the get go. 

7 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Oh I guarantee it was Mike Brown. Marvin wanted no part of Ross from the get go. 

I really wish Marvin would've had the spine to quit instead of clapping along while getting constantly undermined.  Imagine the progress that could've happened if he'd made a statement & quit.  Probably would've meant never working in the NFL again but I'm not even certain of that much, considering how the rest of the league views this franchise.  Either way he should have enough money to not really give a shit & the fans would've loved him for it.

Oh, well.

On 1/6/2021 at 6:24 PM, WRAPradio said:

If it costs #5 and our 3rd rounder, would you move up to #3 to get Sewell?

Depending upon which value chart a person is looking at would determine if that is a valued trade.  I personally think it is reasonable and valued to accept such an offer but not likely in the world of Bengal Land.

Would I do the trade ?  Yes.  Taking into consideration ALL due diligence on this kid's background and medical checks.  A free agent would cost us more than a happy meal and a ride in a Lumina so we know we'll never get that coveted star via free agency.  A homegrown tackle with star qualities is our best hope via the draft.  

With all that being said, we might just wind up with a wide receiver and a bandaid at tackle.  I only hope that Joe can magically survive a pounding from a porous makeshift line.

13 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

So how in the world did we manage to screw up re: John Ross?

Cupp was the 7th WR picked at 69 in that draft.  Of those 1st 7 WRs picked, 5 are good, 1 is meh and 1 sucks.   Every draft has really good receivers in the 2nd and 3rd round.  Somehow, we pick one at 9 and he is a bust.  

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

Cupp was the 7th WR picked at 69 in that draft.  Of those 1st 7 WRs picked, 5 are good, 1 is meh and 1 sucks.   Every draft has really good receivers in the 2nd and 3rd round.  Somehow, we pick one at 9 and he is a bust.  

Picking Ross was the epitome of overvaluing the “underwear olympics.”  He never goes that high if he doesn’t run that number.  Dumb move and it had Mike Brown’s fingerprints all over it.  He didn’t learn from Dan Wilkinson (who really wasn’t that bad).  

if you have a top 10 pick in the draft the guy should have everything. He should have the size, speed, etc., but he has to be a football player.  A guy who gets it done all the time.  Both Ross and Wilkinson were guys who were inconsistent in college. A big no-no for a top 10 pick, IMO.  

I really like what I see in Patrick Surtain, II.  Hell of a player, but does he have the measurable to be picked at #5?  A 6’2” CB is a luxury, especially one who is as polished as Surtain. But, does he have high end speed and quickness?  If not, you can’t pick him at #5. Later?  Sure.  But at #5 they should be the complete package. 

14 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

I know QBs always go high, but I don't think we'll see four QBs go.  With Chase and D. Smith being two game breaking WRs, and Parsons being a GREAT LB prospect, it wouldn't surprise me if a WR (Mia?) or LB go before us.  I'd love for Sewell to fall to us, and I think there's a 50/50 chance that happens.  It'll depend on what the Jets do.  If they don't go QB, they make take Sewell and pair him with Beckton from last year's draft.

Which is my dead horse way of thinking.

Don't trade up.  Too pricey.

There will be some trading picks 2-4 for teams wanting a quarterback.

Patriots and even Pittsburgh are quarterback hungry.  Ben ain't getting any younger

and they will be looking for a new rapist of the future.

Now two WR in the rarified air with Chase being joined by Heisman Smith.

Looking more possible that Sewell will fall.

If not, I really, really hope they jump all over Parsons.

I would be more open to trading our high second round pick and maybe a 4th

to move up if a good Olineman is sliding. Unless, of course, they get Sewell. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Picking Ross was the epitome of overvaluing the “underwear olympics.”  He never goes that high if he doesn’t run that number.  Dumb move and it had Mike Brown’s fingerprints all over it.  He didn’t learn from Dan Wilkinson (who really wasn’t that bad).  

My guess is that without a real scouting department they are overly reliant on the measurables.  Top 10 track times become top 10 draft picks because they don't have much else to go on.  It's that & game tape, and just about anyone in the top half of the draft looked like Billy Badass in college.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

My guess is that without a real scouting department they are overly reliant on the measurables.  Top 10 track times become top 10 draft picks because they don't have much else to go on.  It's that & game tape, and just about anyone in the top half of the draft looked like Billy Badass in college.

Along with this I have to assume the deeper-dive character work that a full crew of all-season scouts would accomplish simply is not done when it comes the Bengals.  Sure, they interview these kids at post-season bowls, at the combine, etc.  Probably the couple shmoes they have doing college work during the season get a read on a small handful of "favourites" or consensus-high-end players.  I mean, who's digging into John Ross to find out if he REALLY loves football?  Who's talking to his friends, his extended family?  His old coaches?  Who has built a relationship with the top-end players to get them to open up?  The way they seem to have mitigated this in the past is focus on a couple few SCHOOLS and do full profiles on just those players.  Remember how many years Marvin et al were going all Georgia, all the time?  Hobson all but admitted they did that because they spent "most" (all?) of their time there.

14 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Along with this I have to assume the deeper-dive character work that a full crew of all-season scouts would accomplish simply is not done when it comes the Bengals.  Sure, they interview these kids at post-season bowls, at the combine, etc.  Probably the couple shmoes they have doing college work during the season get a read on a small handful of "favourites" or consensus-high-end players.  I mean, who's digging into John Ross to find out if he REALLY loves football?  Who's talking to his friends, his extended family?  His old coaches?  Who has built a relationship with the top-end players to get them to open up?  The way they seem to have mitigated this in the past is focus on a couple few SCHOOLS and do full profiles on just those players.  Remember how many years Marvin et al were going all Georgia, all the time?  Hobson all but admitted they did that because they spent "most" (all?) of their time there.

Which is why most teams have 20 people in their scouting department, not 8 people. 

On 1/8/2021 at 10:53 PM, claptonrocks said:

"Absolutely no chance Bengals move up offering a third "you said.

And you know this because???

Its the fifth pick in the 3rd btw..

the draft value chart slots that we could POSSIBLY move up 1 spot. with that 5th pick in the third.

not to mention if a solid QB is left still, the picks ahead of us have a little extra value to some teams.  potentially ours would as well

Archived