1st Round Trade?

46 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Just out of curiosity for those who are home scouts, where does everyone rank QB Mac Jones from Bama? 

Not that we need a QB but just of interest. Does he play into round 1? He seems like the type of QB that the Pats would like. 

During their last game McShay said he had Jones at 32 on his board.  I don't see Jones in round 1. There are 4 QBs ranked ahead of him by everyone plus most people have Trask ahead of Jones. He has the Tua issue, that he gets a lot of time to throw behind Bama's O-line and has top tier receivers. If Tua were rookie of the year, then Jones would go higher. 

15 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Ian Book certainly isn't first round material. Jones probably isn't either by the time the draft rolls around. 

Belichick doesn't have a history of drafting QBs in the first rd. Garappolo was a bottom of the 2nd rd guy. I could see them drafting Jones or Book in the 2nd or 3rd rd

5 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Belichick doesn't have a history of drafting QBs in the first rd. Garappolo was a bottom of the 2nd rd guy. I could see them drafting Jones or Book in the 2nd or 3rd rd

Book?  I wouldn't touch him with a draft pick.  He doesn't have a NFL arm.  Not even close, IMO.

Meh, Mac Jones, AJ McCarron, Tim Tebow, Jamarrcus Russell all had the same qualities.   Play behind a borderline NFL quality Oline and  throw to guys who are already pro bowl talents being defended by average speed college corners. 

Wade looked stupid out there.  

35 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Was not Waddle seen as a better prospect than Smith?

Yes he was.  He is an incredible receiver.   Highly doubtful Smith wins the Heisman with Waddle healthy, they would have split targets. That probably means the Chubby QB would have won. 

9 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

They traded a 4th and a 6th to get him.  They took a chance.  Big deal.  In the history of Bengal mistakes this one is way, way down the list. 

I agree with what you've said here but what in their scouting could have possibly said to them: this guy can play in the NFL? It illustrates how clueless or maybe nonexistent their scouting is.

3 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

I agree with what you've said here but what in their scouting could have possibly said to them: this guy can play in the NFL? It illustrates how clueless or maybe nonexistent their scouting is.

No, it doesn't.  4th round QBs are longshots.  Finley doesn't have it just like the majority of 4th round and later QB draft choices.  Frankly, he has the physical tools, but not the head for the game.

There are plenty of other horrendous draft picks you could drag the Bengals scouting staff about.

4 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

I think the Pats make a move for Garropolo..

Frisco isnt infatuated with him anymore..

Forgive me. I only scanned the first 3 pages of this thread but I didn't see what I believe is a big factor, two of them in fact. First is that I get around in the Bengals "suburbs" and know some people with connections as I have attended every Bengals event open to the public for years and made their acquaintance. The word I get is that MB was absolutely livid about Joe's injury. He isn't as active as he once was but this woke him up. I believe he will spend in FA to get OL help. He apparently loves Joe like almost all of us do. He is placing the protection of Joe as the high priority.

The second factor is that the cap will likely be falling to $176mil, That puts half the league either over or very close to the cap. A lot of teams will be dumping salary. There likely will be few franchise tags. Good players they don't want to part with will have to go and few teams will have the money to pay them as much as they would like. A few will be grabbed by teams what have cap room. There is some talk of averaging the cap over the next 3 years to limit the impact but so far it isn't gaining much traction.

Per Spotrac the Bengals have the 5th most cap with the Jags, Colts, Jets and Patriots significantly ahead of us. We are in a better position than 70% of the league to grab a solid FA or two at relatively bargain rates. With MB seemingly on board we could make a couple of significant signings or trades as the value of draft capitol is booming. I am pretty hopeful that we will sign a couple of high profile players, almost certainly at OL. Personally I would be looking at Marvin Jones as well. This draft discussion is fun but it seems to me that this will be the most unusual and interesting FA period in decades and the way it washes out will determine everything in the draft. Sorry for the long post but I am not skilled enough as a writer to short form it.   

8 minutes ago, JungleJohn said:

Forgive me. I only scanned the first 3 pages of this thread but I didn't see what I believe is a big factor, two of them in fact. First is that I get around in the Bengals "suburbs" and know some people with connections as I have attended every Bengals event open to the public for years and made their acquaintance. The word I get is that MB was absolutely livid about Joe's injury. He isn't as active as he once was but this woke him up. I believe he will spend in FA to get OL help. He apparently loves Joe like almost all of us do. He is placing the protection of Joe as the high priority.

The second factor is that the cap will likely be falling to $176mil, That puts half the league either over or very close to the cap. A lot of teams will be dumping salary. There likely will be few franchise tags. Good players they don't want to part with will have to go and few teams will have the money to pay them as much as they would like. A few will be grabbed by teams what have cap room. There is some talk of averaging the cap over the next 3 years to limit the impact but so far it isn't gaining much traction.

Per Spotrac the Bengals have the 5th most cap with the Jags, Colts, Jets and Patriots significantly ahead of us. We are in a better position than 70% of the league to grab a solid FA or two at relatively bargain rates. With MB seemingly on board we could make a couple of significant signings or trades as the value of draft capitol is booming. I am pretty hopeful that we will sign a couple of high profile players, almost certainly at OL. Personally I would be looking at Marvin Jones as well. This draft discussion is fun but it seems to me that this will be the most unusual and interesting FA period in decades and the way it washes out will determine everything in the draft. Sorry for the long post but I am not skilled enough as a writer to short form it.   

Good post...interesting ....

It makes sense that MB would be upset about Burrow's injury. Burrow is to Brown as the ring is to Gollum, his precious.

Not so sure the cap will actually shrink that much. The union certainly but the owners as well would like to smoothe out the down revenue season or two. With media rights up for bidding later this year, there should be enough dough to level things out. Last year's cap was 199 mil, maybe 2021 will have 190 or more. 

Archived