1st Round Trade?

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Correct..problem is the FA OTs are either declining with age (Donald Penn,Jason Peters type)

Bobby Hart would be 3rd or 4th on this list!

Lapham said he doubts seriously if they sign a guard as well..

Sooooo......

The bar at tackle is so low right now I still think a FA signing could help.  I would still take Sewell if available at 5.  Let the best two tackles play and then the Bengals would then have actual depth at the position when the inevitable injuries occur. 

I would still be OK trading down and taking a different player if the deal was right, but if people are saying the Bengals should only offer a third round pick to move up to the Jets spot, why would the Bengals get much more at five?  I wouldn't move out of the five spot unless a bonifide starter came with the deal. 

10 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

The bar at tackle is so low right now I still think a FA signing could help.  I would still take Sewell if available at 5.  Let the best two tackles play and then the Bengals would then have actual depth at the position when the inevitable injuries occur. 

I would still be OK trading down and taking a different player if the deal was right, but if people are saying the Bengals should only offer a third round pick to move up to the Jets spot, why would the Bengals get much more at five?  I wouldn't move out of the five spot unless a bonifide starter came with the deal. 

It isn’t that I think Sewell is a bad pick, it is just that going O line first round 4 of 7 years  is ridiculous.  What is worst is that the Bengals most reliable player over the last 3 years was picked up in FA.  That would be Bobby Hart.   Ouch.  

12 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It isn’t that I think Sewell is a bad pick, it is just that going O line first round 4 of 7 years  is ridiculous.  What is worst is that the Bengals most reliable player over the last 3 years was picked up in FA.  That would be Bobby Hart.   Ouch.  

While going O line in the first round so often is ridiculous, it is still the greatest area of need.  You have to protect Burrow, period.  Yes, they've done poorly drafting and with FAs, so should they avoid signing FAs for the OL too?  If they can't make a good decision in the first round why would they in the second, third or fourth round?  They have to take action about the O line and if Sewell is available he's the logical choice.  Yes, now the naysayers are coming out of the woodwork saying someone else is better.  Those articles came out about Burrow last year too.  Overthinking is a great way to screw the pooch.  It's logical.  Make the pick.

37 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It is only ridiculous because of the failure of prior picks. Unfortunately, we can't look at past draft failures to bias the current drfat - if we did then we would just not draft at all. 

On 1/19/2021 at 10:26 AM, T-Dub said:

Easy to say he could've played but the fact is that he didn't.  He's been here 2 years and has been available for what, 10 games? 

I'm not against drafting Sewell but they have to get some kind of capable FA backup at OT.  Counting on a rookie and a guy that's been hurt for twice as many games as he's played would be incredibly stupid.  Letting Joe get hurt behind this dogshit OL was negligent enough, do it again behind some green as grass pair of OT's and we riot.

You aren't going to find a quality T in FA, on either side either right or left, imo. 

16 hours ago, SF2 said:

So I guess it’s another o lineman.  We get a little better on offense so what does that mean?  15th rated offense?  

Couple that with a high 20s rated defense with 1 great player (Bates) and average at best at every other position and well,   Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The media’s excitement for Joe Burrow has already  faded  with Herbert and now Fields probably going to a big media New York team and  TD Jesus going to Urban Meyer led Jacksonville.  

Burrow, from a media / recent success standpoint is the 3rd most interesting QB in the division behind Baker and Jackson.   He needs to start winning and that won’t be easy.  

He'll be right back on IR by midseason if they don't overhaul the line.  

48 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

You aren't going to find a quality T in FA, on either side either right or left, imo. 

There likely to be some options on the market. Moton might get tagged but Trent Williams probably won't be. But getting them to Cincinnati is the hard part. Thuney at least is from SW Ohio and went to Alter. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

There likely to be some options on the market. Moton might get tagged but Trent Williams probably won't be. But getting them to Cincinnati is the hard part. Thuney at least is from SW Ohio and went to Alter. 

I believe Moten re-signs with his current team..too valuable commodity to lose..

Trent Williams will be the new LT to protect Lawrence's backside in Jax..

They have 80mil cap space..

Signing him for 20mil a yr is what they'll do..and should..

Lapham stated they wont sign a FA guard for big money..

The route will be to get Sewell or

Trade down to 7-10 and pick up another high pick in round 2 along with our own..

It opens up a world of possibilities for them in the draft..

Just now, claptonrocks said:

Maybe...its really about money though..

But with the cap reduction and many teams in cap trouble or having tight cap space, there will probably be a bunch of good FA's that will have to take less than market for 1 or 2 year deals. This years cap environment actually plays into the Bengals hands. 

1 minute ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

But with the cap reduction and many teams in cap trouble or having tight cap space, there will probably be a bunch of good FA's that will have to take less than market for 1 or 2 year deals. This years cap environment actually plays into the Bengals hands. 

Bengals have 34mil space i believe.

Green and Geno gone will add 30 more no?

We have our own FAs to dign..

Bates Jackson Lawson will command big dollars plus all the second tier players to sign as well.

Its not a slam dunk they'd sign any high price FA besides their own..

5 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

No doubt, but I think even the deaf, dumb and blind front office has figured out they had better fix the OL and fast. That cannot be done fast via the draft so they will have to make some moves. 

The pool of FA OTs is bad...

They could sign an average guard on the cheap ...

That average guard is with them now in Spain..re-sign him..

We go after a tackle and guard in the draft..

Trade back and with their first 3 picks in the first 2 rounds they can do this Plus have another 2nd rounder to add 

to the Dline...

17 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

The pool of FA OTs is bad...

Worse than Hart or whoever else we have now?  Our starting OTs for next season are Average Guy That's Spent Most of His Career on IR and Guy We Hope We Get in the Draft.   It's vital that they create some kind of veteran depth at the position, at least in the short term.  Another offseason of "we can't just go to WalMart" is bullshit.

Honestly I'm hoping they PUP Burrow regardless and let Pollack try to piece together a line that's worth risking him behind before they send him back out there. This team isn't going anywhere next year either way & his long term health is more important than some meaningless wins. 

Taylor is on thin ice though and seems like the type that would throw his own grandmother to the wolves to avoid blame. 

53 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

It is now, but there is expected to be many players released in the coming weeks due to the lower cap and how many teams have to deal with that.

Plus people are acting like it's either a 25 year old future HoF'er or nothing.  We just need a couple of guys that can fill in for a year or two tops & possibly not get the QB killed in the process.  Consistently average would be an improvement.

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Its Archbishop Alter High School to you pal. Pray it then Say It!!

I agree there are always a few surprise releases at oline during FA. 

Ryan Ramczek of the Saints is being paid 11 mil, no dead cap space and the Saints are 96 mil over cap.  Guys like him (not predicting he will)  will have to be cut loose especially if Brees retires.    There will be more guys like him out there.  

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

This still boggles my mind.  That's not "over cap", that's an entire 2nd team worth of salary.  Goes to show how easily that shit is manipulated if a team wants to get around it.

And  how sooner or later it catches up to your cap..

For the Saints it has..

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Bengals have 34mil space i believe.

Green and Geno gone will add 30 more no?

We have our own FAs to dign..

Bates Jackson Lawson will command big dollars plus all the second tier players to sign as well.

Its not a slam dunk they'd sign any high price FA besides their own..

No. Green is not counted against the 2021 Cap so, him not staying adds nothing to the projection. Cutting Geno Atkins would "only" pick them up $9.8 million in addition to the projected $34 million. His contract is almost $15 million but he'd hang almost $5 million in dead cap space, something the Bengals aren't fond of having so don't be shocked if he's back.

Other players that, in my opinion, would be prime to be cut due to the cap space they create compared to their production...Bobby Hart ($5.9 million), CJ Uzomah ($5.2 million), Gio Bernard ($4.1 million) and BJ Finney ($3.5 million).

Also, to be clear, Jessie Bates is not a free agent until 2022. The Bengals could essentially control him with the tag for the next two seasons. The Bengals track record is that they'd typically extend him this year around training camp but, the wonky 2021 salary cap may buy them time so this may not happen. If it does, he certainly will add significant dollars to the cap for this year as he's currently only making $1.5 million.   

6 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

And  how sooner or later it catches up to your cap..

For the Saints it has..

After finishing no worse than 7-9 since they won the SB and 7 playoff appearances in 11 years?  I think they're probably fine with i;, bunch of guys are retiring anyway so they rebuild for a year or two and are free to do it again.

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

100% correct. The Bengals (as stated) are almost $35 million below the cap and could make some aggressive, yet fairly low impact cuts to pick up another $25 million+. Many, many other teams are not in as good of shape and there will be a boatload of quality cap casualties in addition to a decent free agent field that will have fewer suitors than usual. This year's cap environment definitely plays into the Bengals hands. Let's pray they can take advantage of it. 

Just now, BengalFanInTO said:

NHis contract is almost $15 million but he'd hang almost $5 million in dead cap space, something the Bengals aren't fond of having so don't be shocked if he's back.

Another thing that boggles my mind.  We saw the same shit with Ross and so many others.  So instead of cutting the underperforming guy or someone that's just not part of their future plans & saving $10 million, they'll pay them $15 million to take up a roster space doing next to nothing because..  Reasons?  That $5 million in dead money was gone the day the guy signed the contract, it's not coming back. 

You'd think someone in the franchise FO would understand a basic concept like sunk costs but here we are again. "Oh no, dead money, we better PAY HIM 4 TIMES THAT SO WE DON'T WASTE IT!"  It's hard to watch people who think they are supremely qualified basically shit themselves just to stay warm.

Archived