Free Agents 2021

Titans. Can't find Corey Davis 40 time?

WR Age Starts 2020/Career stats Notes Overall Receiving Pass Block Run Block Snaps
Davis-Titans 26 12/48 65-984-5     85.3 85.6   66.9 751

T Age Starts 2020/Career Notes   Overall Pass Block Run Block Snaps
Newhouse-Titans 32 0/81       49.1 75.1 57.8 17
Sambrailo-Titans 29 5/18       65.9 57.9 70.1 415

DL Age Starts 2020/Career stats Notes Overall Run D Pass Rush Coverage Snaps
Jones-Titans 29 16/93 49t-4tfl-6h-2s     68 63.4 66.5 58 763

DE/Edge Age Starts 2020/Career stats Notes Overall Run D Pass Rush Coverage Snaps
Clowney-Titans 28 8/74 19t-4tfl-6h-0s-4pd     74.9 69.9 69.6 80.3 425

CB Age Starts 2020/Career stats Notes Overall Run D Pass Rush Coverage Snaps
King-Titans 26 8/28 55t-2tfl-2h-2s-2pd     67 81.9 64.6 62.4 751

13 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Before I break this down, the Bengals overpaid like a mofo for Waynes. He's set to be the highest paid player on the team this year. That's flipping ludicrous. It was a bad signing but don't compound that by making an equally bad cap move. 

One way or another, Waynes is going to eat a minimum of $10 million of cap space in 2021. Wet is wet.

In the scenario you laid out with cutting Waynes and re-signing WJIII (who I am a fan of) to say a $10 million contract (not sure if that's viable but this is for illustration purposes). Your total cap hit is $20 million. You have WJIII but nothing else.

I'd sooner see them keep Waynes and re-sign WJII for that same $10 million. Your total cap hit is $26 million and you have both Waynes and WJII for next season. Which scenario is better? One starter for $20 million or two starters for $26 million?!? At that point you have Waynes, Phillips and Jackson as your top 3 CBs in 2021.

In your scenario, you now need to replace Waynes for $6 million. Who are you signing for $6 million at CB that has the same potential?   

My big issue is if he's already costing you $10 million on the cap, you might as well keep him and see how it goes. If it works out and Waynes plays well, he earns that $16 million the following year and you've still got two starting corners in 2022. If it doesn't, you cut him in 2022 and only absorb a $5 million cap hit.

Cutting Waynes also just creates yet another need for the team when they already have a bag full of needs at other positions.

At the end of the day, If you're looking for cap space, Geno Atkins, Gio Bernard, CJ Uzomah and Bobby Hart make WAY better sense from a cap perspective and for that matter, a potential impact perspective, to cut.

I agree with cutting Atkins, Bernard, Uzomah, and Hart. I'd add Finney as well. Those guys could all be cut ahead of free agency though I'd welcome Gio and CJ back on much cheaper deals. I wouldn't cut Waynes ahead of free agency but would simply be looking for upgrades or at least equal talent on a better contract. Waynes is highly paid but has been an average CB in his career thus far. He was supposed to be the upgrade from Dre K but we ended up giving lots of snaps to Sims, who was frequently toasted. We should be looking for a CB in rounds 2-4 to add talent to the group but paying Waynes 16 mil each of the next 2 years is an obvious area to do something smarter. I'd rather pay that to Shaq Barrett or Leonard Williams then sign Shaq Griffin or Ronald Darby or whomever to a cheaper CB deal than Waynes has.

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

He was supposed to be the upgrade from Dre K but we ended up giving lots of snaps to Sims, who was frequently toasted. 

But I don't recall him begging for an OPI flag every time he got toasted, which is worth quite a bit of the Brown Family Trusts's money in my accounting.

12 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I agree with cutting Atkins, Bernard, Uzomah, and Hart. I'd add Finney as well. Those guys could all be cut ahead of free agency though I'd welcome Gio and CJ back on much cheaper deals. I wouldn't cut Waynes ahead of free agency but would simply be looking for upgrades or at least equal talent on a better contract. Waynes is highly paid but has been an average CB in his career thus far. He was supposed to be the upgrade from Dre K but we ended up giving lots of snaps to Sims, who was frequently toasted. We should be looking for a CB in rounds 2-4 to add talent to the group but paying Waynes 16 mil each of the next 2 years is an obvious area to do something smarter. I'd rather pay that to Shaq Barrett or Leonard Williams then sign Shaq Griffin or Ronald Darby or whomever to a cheaper CB deal than Waynes has.

I assume that the guys that they constantly put up for interviews will never be cut. Hopkins-Bernard-Uzomah are three of them. All great team guys who are just as important for creating the kind of fabric they want in the locker room as they are for the field. 

Bears

Edwards and Houston-Carson are both interesting. 

QB Age Starts 2020/Career Stats Notes Overall Pass Run Snaps
Tribusky-Bears 26 9/50 2055-67% 16-8 93.5     63.5 60.5 71.8 619

WR Age Starts 2020/Career stats Notes Overall Receiving Pass Block Run Block Snaps
Robinson-Bears 27 16/84 102-1250-6   4.6 40 88.3 88.5 65.6 54.5 954

Spriggs-Bears 27 0/9       41.6 12.5 69.8 70
Ifedi-Bears 27 16/76       65.5 65.6 62.2 1115

Urban-Bears 30 8/27 36t-2tfl-4h-2.5s     76.5 83.7 56 60.8 391

DE/Edge Age Starts 2020/Career stats Notes Overall Run D Pass Rush Coverage Snaps
Edwards-Bears 27 0/24 17t-6tfl-7h-4s     90.1 79.5 83.7 69 278

S Age Starts 2020/Career stats Notes Overall Run D Pass Rush Coverage Snaps
Gipson-Bears 31 16/120 66t-0-9pd-2int     72 70.8 79.3 69.9 1130
Houston-Carson-Bears 28 0/0 15t-3pd     89.9 68.4   88.9 95
Bush-Bears 27 0/8 5t     57.9 60.7   57.3 83

K Age stats Notes FG/XP KOFF
Santos-Bears 29 30-32 55L 36-37 XP     85.2 64.6
Piniero-Bears 25   IR      

12 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I assume that the guys that they constantly put up for interviews will never be cut. Hopkins-Bernard-Uzomah are three of them. All great team guys who are just as important for creating the kind of fabric they want in the locker room as they are for the field. 

Agree they're good team guys which is why I'd welcome them back on contracts more appropriate to their playing time and contributions on the field. The Bengals have cut such players before however, Michael Johnson, Leon Hall, etc. Joe Burrow is assuming that role now. 

12 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Agree they're good team guys which is why I'd welcome them back on contracts more appropriate to their playing time and contributions on the field. The Bengals have cut such players before however, Michael Johnson, Leon Hall, etc. Joe Burrow is assuming that role now. 

Gio is one of the best pass blocking RBs in the league. Uzomah is probably your starting TE. Hopkins is your starting C. These guys have major roles. 

Seems the consensus seems to be to retain Lawson, let Jackson walk and cut Atkins along with Uzomah and maybe even Gio.

I can see the thinking behind this, but getting rid of vets worries me because of finite draft resources and limited Bengals appeal to free agency.

If everybody still under control were to return and major team FA's (Lawson, Jackson, Wilson, Spain, Perine, Thomas, Huber, even Alexander), the team still needs to add 2-3 pieces at OL, an Edge, a DT, a WR, a TE at least one LB and probably a CB & a Safety.

Not saying you have to retain every vet or re-sign every team FA, but for each one you do, you'll have to spend either a draft pick or FA money to replace (and I feel like the cost will be more to the Bengals if they go out and have to woo outside FAs.

Yeah, it's gonna cost a lot to retain both Lawson & Jackson, but how much draft/FA capital will it cost to replace them with equal talent.  I also get the rational behind cutting Gino &/or Gio, but do you open another hole just to save cap space that always seems to be abundant? 

Gio still seems to be solid and while it would be great to get Gino at a lower price, I tend to believe his injuries played a large part in his production drop-off.  I'd be willing to take a cap gamble (admittedly a big one) that he bounces back.

One other intangible you have to factor with both Atkins & Bernard is their sizeable locker room presences.

Yeah it's easy to just cut Uzomah, but then you have Sample and you have to go out and find two more TEs for the rotation and the Bengals have enough other worries.

Not saying they have to retain everybody, but they need to be cautious in doing so lest they open as many holes as the fill.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I don't know I'm not all that impressed by Lawson honestly and would prefer to keep Jackson. And with Mixon only playing 6 games this season, I think it's a reeeeeallly bad idea to cut Gio. Gino I could go either way Uzomah as well.

Lawson was something like 5th in hits and 2nd in hurries last year. He needs to be back. 

13 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Gio is one of the best pass blocking RBs in the league. Uzomah is probably your starting TE. Hopkins is your starting C. These guys have major roles. 

Gio is a backup RB and getting long in the tooth. 4 mil is a lot for what he brings to the table. Without looking it up, I'll bet Perine had more carries than Bernard over the last 6 weeks of the season. If we release Gio and he signs elsewhere, so be it, we can replace his contributions with a day 3 pick or one of the various veteran RBs on the market looking for a job. If he doesn't catch on somewhere else, bring him back for 1.5 mil. 

If Uzomah is starting, we're in terrible shape at the TE position. Sample played better in 2020 than CJ did in 2019. Uzomah got a much bigger contract than his play merited. We need a TE1. Sample is ok as TE2 and CJ or Cethan Carter can be TE3. 

For now Price is our starting center as it's unlikely Hopkins will be on the field for game 1. There are better centers than Hopkins in free agency so we could sign someone like Linsley or Reiter and put Hopkins 6 mil toward their cost.

3 hours ago, snarkster said:

Seems the consensus seems to be to retain Lawson, let Jackson walk and cut Atkins along with Uzomah and maybe even Gio.

I can see the thinking behind this, but getting rid of vets worries me because of finite draft resources and limited Bengals appeal to free agency.

If everybody still under control were to return and major team FA's (Lawson, Jackson, Wilson, Spain, Perine, Thomas, Huber, even Alexander), the team still needs to add 2-3 pieces at OL, an Edge, a DT, a WR, a TE at least one LB and probably a CB & a Safety.

Not saying you have to retain every vet or re-sign every team FA, but for each one you do, you'll have to spend either a draft pick or FA money to replace (and I feel like the cost will be more to the Bengals if they go out and have to woo outside FAs.

Yeah, it's gonna cost a lot to retain both Lawson & Jackson, but how much draft/FA capital will it cost to replace them with equal talent.  I also get the rational behind cutting Gino &/or Gio, but do you open another hole just to save cap space that always seems to be abundant? 

Gio still seems to be solid and while it would be great to get Gino at a lower price, I tend to believe his injuries played a large part in his production drop-off.  I'd be willing to take a cap gamble (admittedly a big one) that he bounces back.

One other intangible you have to factor with both Atkins & Bernard is their sizeable locker room presences.

Yeah it's easy to just cut Uzomah, but then you have Sample and you have to go out and find two more TEs for the rotation and the Bengals have enough other worries.

Not saying they have to retain everybody, but they need to be cautious in doing so lest they open as many holes as the fill.

This is a good season to be a buyer of talent. We can get out of some bad contracts and get upgrades all over.

Nice work Sparky, I agree 100% with both posts.

I'm a Gio Bernard fan and if he was making $2 million in 2021 instead of almost $5 million, this would be a non-conversation for me. The Bengals have way too much cash tied up at the RB position so, in my opinion that makes Gio the odd man out (unless he's willing to stay for way less).

Also, the idea of keeping veterans because they helped you amass 6 wins in two years seems a little confusing.

Don't worry. For those hoping Bernard and Uzomah stay, you're likely to get your wish. It would be a pretty un-Bengal-like move to cut them. But, if they keep Hart and Finney when they can save $9.4 million against the cap to release them, there truly is no hope for this organization.    

OL has to be first priority in FA and then the rest of the chips can fall into place. I would look to keep Lawson and although it would be nice to keep WJIII, it would be easier to find a good CB than it would be to fins a good pass rushing DE. 

We will soon see how this team wants attempt to build - should be on the DL and OL, but I am not sure the team has enough focus and smarts to do that. 

Gio, CJ, Geno are very expendable at this point. if the cap was still going up it may be OK to keep CJ and Gio but not with a shrinking cap. Those dollars will be very valuable. 

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

For now Price is our starting center as it's unlikely Hopkins will be on the field for game 1. There are better centers than Hopkins in free agency so we could sign someone like Linsley or Reiter and put Hopkins 6 mil toward their cost.

Not sure where or what thread to put this in but I found it intriguing...

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/lists/2021-nfl-draft-all-senior-bowl-team/

C Quinn Meinerz | University of Wisconsin-Whitewater

The small-school product showed that the competition was not too much for him. After spending all of college at left guard, Meinerz kicked inside to center for the majority of the week, where he was a brick wall in pass protection and a road-grader in the run game, playing every snap with a tenacious mentality. Meinerz was projected as a sixth or seventh rounder, but he played his way into top-100 consideration.

Runner-Up

Creed Humphrey | Oklahoma

::::::::::::::::::::::;

Creed Humphrey is getting a lot of OL love in places and this kid, Meinerz, came in and beat him out at Center pre this reporter.  Pic did not print but he looks a little undersized for a mauler Center.  Arm length seems to be OK.

I'm putting his name on a post-it note and sticking on my computer for future reference to see if he ends up on the Bengals some way, some how.   

I simply am not a Hopkins fan.  Can and should be upgraded.

Cardinals

QB Age Starts 2020/Career Stats Notes Overall Pass Run Snaps
Hundley-Cards 28 0/9 DNP           0

G Age Starts 2020/Career Notes   Overall Pass Block Run Block Snaps
Sweezy-Cards 32 10/104       52.5 52.5 51.3 643
Garcia-Cards 29 0/41       50.1 49.3 49.9 67

Beachum-Cards 32 16/115       69 76.8 59 1126

Peters-Cards 33 9/121 15t-3tfl-4h-2s     61.4 62.6 64.7 41.2 379

Reddick-Cards 26 11/31 63t-15tfl-16h-12.5s-4pd     72.8 56.7 82.6 52.6 874
Golden-Cards 30 9/49 33t-6tfl-20h-4.5s-1int-3pd     60 41.5 75.2 40.6 591

S Age Starts 2020/Career stats Notes Overall Run D Pass Rush Coverage Snaps
Banjo-Cards 31 4/6 48t-1tfl     64.2 61.5 59.9 63.6 436

CB Age Starts 2020/Career stats Notes Overall Run D Pass Rush Coverage Snaps
K Peterson-Cards 27 1/5 6t-1pd     38.3 63.3 58.8 35.1 66
P Peterson-Cards 31 16/54 61t-3int-8pd     55.2 66.4 52.5 53.1 1096
Kirkpatrick 31 11/78 56t-3int-7pd     49 71.3 74.6 46.1 750

15 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

There should be more talk about re-signing John Ross to a long term deal

5 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Yeah as wonder why there is not a lot of talk over about John Ross huh?!

You two make a good pair..

16 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

There should be more talk about re-signing John Ross to a long term deal

7 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Yeah as wonder why there is not a lot of talk over about John Ross huh?!

large.tenor.gif

Archived