2021 Coaching Carousel

Wow , the big college programs pay their coordinators very wel:

Clemson’s Tony Elliott is joining college football’s club of $2 million assistants.

The school’s board of trustees approved a $300,000 raise for the team’s offensive coordinator, bumping his total compensation to $2 million starting July 1 when the university’s new fiscal year begins. Along with defensive coordinator Brent Venables, at $2.4 million a year, the Tigers will be the only program in college football with both coordinators making that much, according to USA Today’s database of assistant salaries.

Elliott also had his contract extended through the 2025 season, along will adding the title of assistant head coach.

Elliott’s name came up for several NFL jobs and he was contacted in Tennessee’s head coaching search. However, this latest move looks to keep Elliott at Clemson a while longer.

“We were so happy to retain coach Elliott. He had opportunities, but we wanted to make sure he stayed here,” Clemson athletic director Dan Radakovich said.

Elliott, a former Clemson receiver, has worked on the staff since 2011. He served as co-coordinator with Jeff Scott from 2015-19 until Scott left to become South Florida’s head coach. Elliott took control by himself this past season.

The board also approved a raise for quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator Brandon Streeter, increasing his salary by $25,000 to $615,000 a year.

Elliott and Streeter will continue leading one of the country’s most productive offenses that will transition from quarterback Trevor Lawrence to DJ Uiagalelei next season.

The board also approved a $300,000 salary for new running backs coach and former Clemson ACC player of the year C.J. Spiller. 

On 2/5/2021 at 10:38 AM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Wow , the big college programs pay their coordinators very wel:

Clemson’s Tony Elliott is joining college football’s club of $2 million assistants.

The school’s board of trustees approved a $300,000 raise for the team’s offensive coordinator, bumping his total compensation to $2 million starting July 1 when the university’s new fiscal year begins. Along with defensive coordinator Brent Venables, at $2.4 million a year, the Tigers will be the only program in college football with both coordinators making that much, according to USA Today’s database of assistant salaries.

Elliott also had his contract extended through the 2025 season, along will adding the title of assistant head coach.

Elliott’s name came up for several NFL jobs and he was contacted in Tennessee’s head coaching search. However, this latest move looks to keep Elliott at Clemson a while longer.

“We were so happy to retain coach Elliott. He had opportunities, but we wanted to make sure he stayed here,” Clemson athletic director Dan Radakovich said.

Elliott, a former Clemson receiver, has worked on the staff since 2011. He served as co-coordinator with Jeff Scott from 2015-19 until Scott left to become South Florida’s head coach. Elliott took control by himself this past season.

The board also approved a raise for quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator Brandon Streeter, increasing his salary by $25,000 to $615,000 a year.

Elliott and Streeter will continue leading one of the country’s most productive offenses that will transition from quarterback Trevor Lawrence to DJ Uiagalelei next season.

The board also approved a $300,000 salary for new running backs coach and former Clemson ACC player of the year C.J. Spiller. 

Well, when you don’t have to pay your players, there tends to be money laying around in McDonalds bags.  

5 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Agreed. Not sure where they got their numbers other than a few that are public. But i think he makes at least $3M per year, have to think this is bare minimum for a NFL HC. 

No, it's accurate. They paid him what they paid Marvin. It was in an Excel spreadsheet somewhere - Coach, 4.5M. 

It was the line right above "All-Pro LT, 6.5M"

Katie and Troy have a 7 year plan to pay for that new deck on the house.

9 hours ago, spicoli said:

He's also not being paid less than a million/year. It's not even feasible. 

It is entirely feasible he is barely making 7 figures. He was a young position coach making maybe mid 6 figures.  Almost the entire staff is probably being paid the least for their position in the NFL. 

17 hours ago, SF2 said:

It is entirely feasible he is barely making 7 figures. He was a young position coach making maybe mid 6 figures.  Almost the entire staff is probably being paid the least for their position in the NFL. 

I really think $3M/year is his floor. I just can't imagine any HC in the league making much less than that. 

18 hours ago, spicoli said:

I really think $3M/year is his floor. I just can't imagine any HC in the league making much less than that. 

He isn’t making close to that.  The language in his contract would have gotten him close but 6-25-1 didn’t trigger any performance bonuses.  The hiring of Taylor was slightly above the reach of Shula and cost about the same. 

10 hours ago, spicoli said:

I mean is that just your opinion or do you have an actual link that breaks down the numbers? 

No I don’t have a link.  I have a guy.  Very few coaches have their salary info public.  

I certainly don’t blame Taylor for taking the job for what is league minimum.  He would have had to wait a few more years and served as a coordinator before any of  the other 31 teams gave him a chance. 

Archived