2021 Mock Draft Simulators

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Not saying we don’t need a LB, but to me we have too many other needs and a LB at 5 is a luxury pick, unless he’s the second coming of LT and we go full time 3-4. Not sure if Parsons is that kind of guy or not. 

Anywhere on the front seven is not a luxery pick imo..

Wide receivers are luxery picks..

Oline and front seven..foundation

17 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Anywhere on the front seven is not a luxery pick imo..

Wide receivers are luxery picks..

Oline and front seven..foundation

Off ball LB just doesn’t have that value in today’s NFL. 

Rams had the #1 defense in the NFL. I can’t name 1 of their LBs. D-line and secondary make defenses go now. They also lost to the #1 offense and gave up a ton of yards. The game has changed. I just don’t think an off ball linebacker is worth a top 5 pick. If you disagree, that’s fine, I just don’t see it. I’d take one of the CBs before I’d take Parsons given our current roster. 

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Rams had the #1 defense in the NFL. I can’t name 1 of their LBs. D-line and secondary make defenses go now. They also lost to the #1 offense and gave up a ton of yards. The game has changed. I just don’t think an off ball linebacker is worth a top 5 pick. If you disagree, that’s fine, I just don’t see it. I’d take one of the CBs before I’d take Parsons given our current roster. 

Maybe that's why they lost, their linebackers suck.  :14_relaxed:

I agree with Clapton, fix the oline and defense before you draft any WRs. You should go back to the 2nd and 3rd round draft thread when we drafted Higgens. Tee is doing great but was he worth Burrows knee?

Further to the discussion on Parsons, this is from the most recent TDN mock --- Solak's mock had Parsons going 18th...

Micah Parsons

LB, Penn State

Lower than we usually see for Parsons? I honestly think this is about where he ends up.

Bucky Brooks made public some of the concerns that exist with Parsons’ football commitment earlier this week, and maturity levels are something that teams take very seriously before they start making 20-year-olds multi-millionaires. Each team will have their own opinion of Parsons—but if he does have maturity issues, he would benefit from a landing spot with the Dolphins, who have one of football’s consummate leaders in Brian Flores at head coach.

This is also a great landing spot for Parsons. Flores’ defense likes linebackers who can play both on- and off-ball, which is the best usage for Parsons in the pros, as he has an EDGE rusher’s build but quality off-ball skills fitting the run and dropping in zone lanes. Much like Isaiah Simmons experienced in Arizona, it will be a process figuring out just how to deploy him, and he may not be perfect at first. But if he’s settled into a role come playoff time, he’ll be an asset.

Solak's 2021 NFL Mock Draft 1.0 | The Draft Network

I don't question the overall talent of Sewell...I question how such a young kid handles the fame and fortune of being a top 5 pick. 

He might be the greatest college LT of all time but all bets are off when you hand a 20 year old millions of dollars. 

11 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I don't question the overall talent of Sewell...I question how such a young kid handles the fame and fortune of being a top 5 pick. 

He might be the greatest college LT of all time but all bets are off when you hand a 20 year old millions of dollars. 

How different is that from a 22 year old? I know 60 year olds who can't handle money. This is where the team has to do the DD on the players

Well if Sewell is as good as everyone seems to believe he is he'll be one of the top 3 picks, no doubt about it. 

If he's off the board, who's the biggest impact player we can get once we're on the clock?

Likely one of the WR's or Pitts. 

Hockenson was taken #8 overall and is not even close to the prospect that Pitts is.

Just sayin. 

Benjamin Zolak's first mock at TDN has Slater going 4 and Sewell going 5 with these notes (he had QBs going 1, 2, 3 and Chase going 6th...):

Solak's 2021 NFL Mock Draft 1.0 | The Draft Network

4, Falcons

Rashawn Slater OT, Northwestern

Okay, everybody calm down.

Here’s what I’ve got. I’ve got Daniel Jeremiah, who’s a great barometer for the league, ranking Slater above Penei Sewell. I’ve got Lance Zierlein, another league barometer, agreeing with him. I’ve got Matt Miller, who’s always well-sourced, saying multiple scouting directors and area scouts prefer Slater to Sewell. 

So I’m thinking there’s a good chance that Slater goes ahead of Sewell come draft day. That’s not how I have them stacked on my board—though I love both—but that could be how this goes.

The new Atlanta GM looks to be Terry Fontenot, who comes from the New Orleans tree. That Saints front office has drafted a trench player in the first round of five of their last six drafts—and in 2019, when they didn’t have a first-round pick, they took Erik McCoy in the second. Four of those trench picks have been offensive linemen, as New Orleans poured talent into a seemingly solid offensive line, and to their benefit—they have a top-three OL in the league.

Atlanta attacked OL heavily in the 2019 NFL Draft, bringing in Chris Lindstrom and Kaleb McGary with first-round picks. McGary hasn’t been great, Alex Mack is likely leaving in free agency, Jake Matthews can be improved upon, and left guard could still use a starter. Slater is a great fit for all of those issues: he has guard/tackle versatility, so he can fight for multiple jobs in camp, and is a high-quality run blocker in space for the Arthur Smith run-heavy approach.

Bengals

Penei Sewell OT, Oregon

There was a little bit of a sweat there for Bengals fans, who are devoted to Sewell at this stage and would likely be disappointed with a Slater pick. For all of the league’s love of Slater, there is trepidation surrounding Sewell, who is not considered a slam dunk tackle prospect as players like Jedrick Wills, Mekhi Becton, and Tristian Wirfs (and Andrew Thomas!) were last season.

But Sewell is still drafted at that premium because of the need on the Bengals’ offensive line. A heavy empty protection team to account for Burrow’s strengths in the passing game, Cincinnati could not protect their franchise investment this season. Multiple picks are needed to solve the problem, but bookending the bright spot in Jonah Williams with another top tackle in Sewell gives you the talent on the EDGE you need. Interior offensive linemen are easier to find later in the draft and in free agency.

Since we screwed ourselves in the draft we need to trade the pick. We aren't getting Sewell. Will not happen in a million years with Miami on the board before us. Trade our pick with Atlanta and the Jets. Atlanta moves down one and Jets move down two. Jets still get a QB since Miami seems to be in love with Tua, We get Sewell and Atlanta still gets Chase or Smith.....(Miami taking Smith or Chase). 

3 hours ago, membengal said:

That's as negative on Sewell as I've found anywhere - I know that I have not heard anyone else with him behind last year's tackles - but am dropping it here just to note it. 

He wanted to have a different view than others..

Hes wrong of course..

9 hours ago, membengal said:

That's as negative on Sewell as I've found anywhere - I know that I have not heard anyone else with him behind last year's tackles - but am dropping it here just to note it. 

Thanks for that, these are good reading leading up to the draft.

Let's keep in mind also that we're in the "smoke and mirrors" portion of the pre-draft process, where we'll see strange articles that call into question the otherwise "unanimous" outsider views on players.  For example last year when we started to see the "Is Joe Burrow actually hot garbage?" type takes, and the relentless "Joe Burrow should reject the Bengals because <insert popular team> fits him better".

Talking about tackles a name I think we'll start to see thrown around is Walker Little.  From what I've been reading he was "sposda" be in the conversation with Sewell for the best tackle of this draft, but was injured before the start of 2019 season and opted out of the 2020 season - thus he hasn't played in two years.  Has all the measurables and I guess played quite well in 2018.

9 hours ago, Gary said:

Since we screwed ourselves in the draft we need to trade the pick. We aren't getting Sewell. Will not happen in a million years with Miami on the board before us. Trade our pick with Atlanta and the Jets. Atlanta moves down one and Jets move down two. Jets still get a QB since Miami seems to be in love with Tua, We get Sewell and Atlanta still gets Chase or Smith.....(Miami taking Smith or Chase). 

Dropping to #5 is not that big of a reach given the high level of QB's in the draft as well as WR's. Jonah dropped to us and most thought that not possible. I would say the chances of Sewell dropping to us at 5 are better that us trading up to get him. Keep in mind he did not play this season and I think that may move him down a slot or a few slots on some boards - same for Parsons and Chase. 

Archived