2021 Mock Draft Simulators

IF only these Fantasy Pipedreams were possible.  Traded from 5 to 9 to 15 and picked up 2 extra 2nds, an extra 3rd and 2 more 2nds in 2022.

Still got Darrishaw, Leatherwood and Dickerson

Receivers Tylan Wallace, Dyami Brown and Anthony Schwartz along with a decent TE

DT Milton Williams.  Edges Odeyingbo, Joe Tryon & Daelin Hayes

Also a decent LB and a project safety

Then dealt pick 202 for a 3rd in '22.

That would give me 2 extra 2nds and 3rd in next year's draft to deal for solid vets (WR? TE? LB?) after the draft if I wished.

Oh well, too much time on my hands.  :D

6 hours ago, snarkster said:

Not bad at all in many ways.  First three picks quality OL.  Would certainly be an instant upgrade to protect The Franchise.  Down side is all three would be up for new contracts about the same time.  Not good.

Schwartz looks like a boom or bust pick but late enough for a look-see.

Everyone likes Milton.

Still think there will be a Kicker in there maybe as high as 5 if they think one is worth it.

9 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

8th pick with Carolina if they like whatever QB is still on the board..

We get the 8th pick and 8th in third.. That 4th round pick is worth a franchise type QB...

So they can kick that in too.

Deal?...

No guards in round one..

They’re gonna have to come off a lot more than that to move up for a QB even if it is only 3 spots. Add a second round pick plus a second next year as well. 

FYI but not worthy of a new thread lol

This is Carl Pickens son:

You may not know the name George Pickens, but you probably will soon, and for good reason. The Georgia rising junior is a 6’ 3”, 201-pound specimen, capable of the most outrageous sorts of catches, and possessing talent to go in the first half of the first round of the draft. He’s also tore his ACL last week during spring practice, an injury that could wind up costing him all of the 2021 season. The normal ACL timetable makes a return for the SEC title game or College Football Playoff possible. But the question now is whether or not that’s best for him. Amid the pandemic, LSU WR Ja’Marr Chase, Oregon OT Penei Sewell, Penn State LB Micah Parsons, Virginia Tech CB Caleb Farley and Miami DE Gregory Rousseau made the call to skip the 2020 season. All are (and I’ll say somewhat tentatively, because Farley’s medicals need to check out post-surgery) expected to go in the first round, with Chase and Sewell good bets to land in the Top 10. So if you’re Pickens now, and you see that missing a final college season didn’t kill those guys’ stock, would the best call be to focus on getting ready for the 2022 Draft, or on focusing on trying to make it back for the stretch run at Georgia, especially when there’s no guarantee that the Bulldogs will be playing meaningful games then? It’s an interesting question to ask. And it could signal a post-pandemic change in how star prospects handle the end of their time as college football players

Dehner's 7-round mock. I like it. Weston and Harry won't.

https://theathletic.com/2479398/2021/03/29/dehner-jr-7-round-mock-draft-free-agency-alters-the-bengals-plan/

CINCINNATI — The debate between what to do with the fifth overall pick seems to change daily. Like walking outside in the morning to discover which way the wind is blowing or if the air smells like Skyline Chili or brewery vats.

Penei Sewell or Ja’Marr Chase or trade back? Sorry, Kyle Pitts stans, it’s not happening. Ideas and best-path narratives come and go as the never-ending draft debate season almost enters the month of the event.

The Bengals are a tough team to pinpoint and one that our exercises and reporting suggest could have all options on the table if quarterbacks go one through four for the first time in NFL history. The odds of that increased significantly on Friday when the Dolphins moved out of the third pick and San Francisco traded up. The 49ers are coming up for a quarterback of the future and that only leaves the Falcons decision on picking the last quarterback or also trading out of the spot to one of the remaining quarterback-needy teams (Denver, Carolina, New England) between the Bengals having their selection of the best non-QB in this draft.

If Atlanta opts to take a player, the Bengals phone likely starts ringing. In every other scenario, it’s the relentless debate in Bengals fans circles of Chase versus Sewell. I’m among those out there changing my mind daily on how this falls because too often we find ourselves thinking about what our personal moves would be instead of focusing on the only thing that matters for somebody writing in this capacity and that is generating a projection for what the Bengals will actually do.

For me, those are two different things. With my first official mock draft — I’ve sort of done one as part of roster projection — I have my official stance that, for the moment, I don’t plan on changing throughout draft season (but absolutely reserve the right to do so). We are not introducing trades at this moment, that will come later, but obviously, the potential to move back and collect picks would be an enticing option. In the straight-pick scenario, free agency has turned the original concept of the draft in January on its head. They spent so much time, attention and money on the defensive side that this feels like a draft that will come out extremely lopsided toward offense.

I also think the lack of attention and effort directed toward the receiver position despite a gaping hole at the third spot suggests they know they are landing a quality receiver next month. The Bengals aren’t alone with such a philosophy as it served as the foundation for the cratering receiver market in free agency. But they are the only one picking fifth overall. Considering as much as we hear and know about the extreme depth of the offensive line in this draft, the analysis suggests the Bengals opt to take advantage of the strength of this draft at the top (receiver) and depth (offensive line) later to fill their two biggest needs in building around Joe Burrow.

That would not be my strategy. Why? I’m too concerned by the recent history of this team drafting offensive linemen. Not that the current people in place aren’t capable, but the reputation of the past seven years of misses precedes them. On the flip side, so does the positive reputation for plucking quality receivers and defensive linemen in later rounds. Fail-rate percentages rise significantly when you start swimming in the waters of the early second round. As opposed to breaking any tie at the top of the draft by investing in protection with a significantly higher-floor selection. Take the least risk at the position you’ve struggled to fix the most.

I don’t think that happens. Instead, the allure of potential stars at receiver for Burrow, particularly one the team knows it can expect the most out of since it’s connected directly to their prized quarterback, feels like where this discussion ends.

So, let’s mock.

First round (5 overall): Ja’Marr Chase, WR, LSU

Ja’Marr Chase. Tyler Boyd. Tee Higgins. Joe Mixon. Joe Burrow. Young, electric, versatile, under contract for at least the next three years and undeniably frightening for a defensive coordinator. The dream of those five growing up together to form one of the most dynamic skill groups in football ends up too tough for the front office to pass on, even if it means overlooking the top tier of the offensive line class. Riley Reiff buys them insurance and time at tackle, and they can spend the next couple of rounds attacking that issue with quality and quantity.

Meanwhile, you reunite Burrow with Chase, who broke every record imaginable in 2019 as the primary deep threat and overall playmaker on the dominant LSU offense. Chase averaged 21.2 yards per reception, for 1,780 total yards and 20 touchdowns, all from Burrow before opting out of 2020. The explosiveness he brings is viewed as the key that could unlock the entire offense. That might be right. They are risking the surest replenishment of the offensive line on that hope if this ends up the move.

Second round (38): Alex Leatherwood, OL, Alabama

Here comes the immediate starter at guard for the season opener. A number of different options will be on the table at this point. And when you look historically at when the drop-off comes in finding effective rookie starters, you typically see that hit rate drop once moving outside the top 40. In this case, Leatherwood brings the ability to start at guard now and potentially move to the tackle position he occupied the past few years at Alabama in the future. He brings important positional flexibility in that way and why I pinpointed him out of the bucket of potential names in this zone of Dane Brugler’s Top 100 list (others include OT Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame; IOL Landon Dickerson, Alabama; OT Samuel Cosmi, Texas; OG Wyatt Davis, Ohio State or maybe a player slotted for the first round who could fall into the early second). In a year of unpredictability in evaluation, I’d expect more than a few offensive line names to be available that Big Draft groupthink didn’t anticipate at this selection.

Third round (69): Dillon Radunz, OL, North Dakota State

Welcome back to an old Bengals strategy that served them well over many, many drafts: The double up. They’ve been known to take on major positional issues on the roster with two swings rather than one. It’s not a perfect strategy, of course (Cedric Ogbuehi/Jake Fisher) but often proves effective (Mo Sanu/Marvin Jones; Jordan Willis/Carl Lawson; Logan Wilson/Akeem Davis-Gaither) with even the second player selected sometimes evolving into the better pro.

In the case of Radunz, he’s still a project in some respects by virtue of the level of play he faced at NDSU and needs to fill out his frame. But he played well at the Senior Bowl and tested well at his pro day. In fact, he might move up draft boards to the point he’s not available here but for now, we’ll slot him in as the second offensive lineman taken in the quantity approach to fixing things up front for the short and long term.

Fourth round (111): Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State

The target in this spot might come down to what happens over the next week in free agency. If the Bengals fall short in landing an edge, then they probably look for that spot here. If they can’t find a second three-technique to rush the passer behind Larry Ogunjobi, then this is the move. It seems fitting that in the year they part ways with Geno Atkins they select another three-tech in the fourth round trying to replicate the magic.

Fifth round (149): Trey Sermon, RB, Ohio State

A running back with one of the first two picks of the third day felt like the move since the season ended. Not a conversation about the position has gone by this offseason where we haven’t written or discussed the perfect fit of a young back entering the equation as a dynamic depth piece behind Mixon. The recent news of teams inquiring about a trade for Giovani Bernard only solidifies the premise. The history of backs taken later in the draft turning out productive careers lends itself to this move, and the Bengals aren’t out much if it fails. Sermon would be a wide-zone, one-cut runner who would seem an ideal fit for offensive line coach Frank Pollack’s plan, and the potential was evident during his ridiculous run to the national championship game with the Buckeyes. And at this point, we have to think the Bengals are trying to field a team of all former Buckeyes players to either win over the Columbus market (good luck) or save Ohio State shipping costs on those alumni swag boxes.

Sixth round (190): Tre’ McKitty, TE, Georgia

Hunting for a tight end project late in the draft to fill the spot behind C.J. Uzomah and Drew Sample. Particularly one with the flexibility this staff loves out of this position. McKitty has shown the ability to both block and make plays in the passing game at different times. There’s a ton of raw talent there and development needed, but could see a fit as a late-round shot.

Sixth round (202): Shi Smith, slot WR, South Carolina

Maybe Smith’s pro day performance shoots him up boards, but the Bengals will need somebody to fill in the Alex Erickson role as a backup to Boyd in the slot. Smith also has experience returning kickoffs if services were needed in that area.

Seventh round (235): Jose Borregales, K, Miami

Oh yes, the positional crowd favorite. I have a hard time believing Austin Seibert will be the answer in the fall. And I also have a hard time believing the Bengals won’t get antsy entering the undrafted player free-for-all that they will land the kicker they truly want. Firing off the seventh-round pick to ensure they land who they view to be the best kicker in this draft (it might not be Borregales, but he’s a leading candidate) makes sense to find value in this selection.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

I'm OK with it.  Logical and makes too much sense.

Like the OL picks for rounds 2 and 3, however, the names may be different on who is there (duh, Harry),

13 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

8th pick with Carolina if they like whatever QB is still on the board..

We get the 8th pick and 8th in third.. That 4th round pick is worth a franchise type QB...

So they can kick that in too.

Deal?...

No guards in round one..

That would ruin the hopes and dreams of the Slater fanbase. He'll be a fine Left Guard and ONLY that. 

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

You may not know the name George Pickens, but you probably will soon, and for good reason. The Georgia rising junior is a 6’ 3”, 201-pound specimen, capable of the most outrageous sorts of catches, and possessing talent to go in the first half of the first round of the draft. He’s also tore his ACL last week during spring practice, an injury that could wind up costing him all of the 2021 season. The normal ACL timetable makes a return for the SEC title game or College Football Playoff possible. But the question now is whether or not that’s best for him. Amid the pandemic, LSU WR Ja’Marr Chase, Oregon OT Penei Sewell, Penn State LB Micah Parsons, Virginia Tech CB Caleb Farley and Miami DE Gregory Rousseau made the call to skip the 2020 season. All are (and I’ll say somewhat tentatively, because Farley’s medicals need to check out post-surgery) expected to go in the first round, with Chase and Sewell good bets to land in the Top 10. So if you’re Pickens now, and you see that missing a final college season didn’t kill those guys’ stock, would the best call be to focus on getting ready for the 2022 Draft, or on focusing on trying to make it back for the stretch run at Georgia, especially when there’s no guarantee that the Bulldogs will be playing meaningful games then? It’s an interesting question to ask. And it could signal a post-pandemic change in how star prospects handle the end of their time as college football players

I've been trying to confirm that since I saw him play.  I've seen nothing official to confirm it.  George played HS ball in Hoover, AL.  His older brother is Chris Humes, a CFLer.    Carl lives in the Atlanta area. 

If Carl is George's father I don't blame him for keeping it quiet as Carl Pickens is known as a total dirtbag. 

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I would say that electing not to play due to the pandemic and not hurting their stock for the draft is totally different than not playing due to a torn ACL and not expecting that to hurt your stock in the draft. 

14 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

And one proven legit OT, who is on a one year deal.

Well they got Reiff signed, is there some reason that they can’t sign another one if he leaves next year if needed? I still fully expect them to draft a couple more guys to throw into the mix as well. Eichenberg, Cosmi or Leatherwood in R2 are all guys that can play early inside or out. 

4 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Well they got Reiff signed, is there some reason that they can’t sign another one if he leaves next year if needed?

Well you can't just go down to WalMart..

Maybe one of those fancy Tar-jays with the Starbucks inside? 

Jokes aside the market will probably not be nearly as good next year, and almost certainly a hell of a lot more expensive.  For as long as it's taken to find one decent OT it sure would be nice to finally lock down at least one of (if not ideally both) those spots long-term.

5 hours ago, spicoli said:

They’re gonna have to come off a lot more than that to move up for a QB even if it is only 3 spots. Add a second round pick plus a second next year as well. 

Thats steep..

Board points add up to the 5th pick for 8th plus second round and 3rd..

2 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I like this receiver too..

Only knick on him was the limited tree he ran..

Mostly just vertical.

e1feea2df73447797ac9ebf37b09848a.jpg

This is the NFL, he's not going to be able to just run by DB's at this level.  I'd rather have a slower guy that can cut and break some ankles out there.

Haven't we seen this episode already?

27 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Well you can't just go down to WalMart..

Maybe one of those fancy Tar-jays with the Starbucks inside? 

Jokes aside the market will probably not be nearly as good next year, and almost certainly a hell of a lot more expensive.  For as long as it's taken to find one decent OT it sure would be nice to finally lock down at least one of (if not ideally both) those spots long-term.

Point was, there are plenty of viable options that don’t include a tackle at 5. 

Archived