2021 Mock Draft Simulators

2 hours ago, membengal said:

Because there is NOTHING in the WR room behind Higgins and Boyd. You cannot seriously be okay with the anchor that is Auden Tate opposite Higgins. He is anti-separation. Same with Mike Thomas. Just, the definition of below average. That's why. WR is gaping yawning chasm of a need. And the team went out of its way NOT to address it in FA. Which means they are looking to the draft. 

This makes it sound like our oline is the definition of average. Average would be a improvement and a big one. I don't think a single draft pick is going to put them in the top 10 but 2 might. Not that I exp[ect the Bengals to do that, Mike will see Chase sitting there and think "Ferarri". We get a second tire olineman in the 2nd and maybe a dlinemen in the 3rd. After that its an even bigger crapshoot to get a starter.

I just want the lines fixed. Football is about blocking and tackling and that starts up front. It's not like we will be competing for a playoff spot next year but a foundation can be laid for the year after if we get the lines in shape. I know it isn't exciting to draft the big uglies, but sometime you just have to eat your vegetables. Linemen are vegetables, Chase is cake.

Cake is for winners.

26 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-com-media-mock-draft-we-have-a-trade

From Bengals.com.  Ge-off's mock with a trade... I must say I find it very interesting.

Trade #5 with Carolina for #8 and 39.

First Round for us goes...

1. JAGUARS - QB Trevor Lawrence, Clemson; Michael DiRocco, ESPN.com

And the QB run begins.

2. JETS - QB Zach Wilson, BYU; Rich Cimini, ESPN.com

All indications are this is the way it is headed. The 49ers trade seemed to confirm the Jets aren't budging.

3. 49ERS - QB Mac Jones, Alabama; Matt Maiocco, NBC Sports Bay Area

After the big trade, head coach Kyle Shanahan gets the kind of pocket passer he covets.

4. FALCONS - QB Justin Fields, Ohio State; D. Orlando Ledbetter, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

They hold the key in this draft. They could take any of the top five prospects or trade it.

5. PANTHERS (via Cincinnati) - QB Trey Lance, North Dakota State; Joe Person, The Athletic

The Bengals take advantage of the Panthers faced with the inability to wait for Teddy Bridgewater's successor in a furious wave of QBs.

6. DOLPHINS - WR Ja'Marr Chase, LSU; Armando Salguero, The Miami Herald

You can't say anymore that the Dolphins don't have any weapons.

7. LIONS – OT Penei Sewell, Oregon; Mike O'Hara, Detroitlions.com

This is one time when a team can honestly say they never thought he'd be there.

8. BENGALS (via Carolina) – TE Kyle Pitts, Florida; Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com

Hey, there's the off chance Sewell or Chase could have slipped through.

OK. OK. We remember. Last week we said Pitts scared us because rarely do tight ends drafted this high justify the value of the pick. Plus, this doesn't really address the neediest of the needs.

But now because of the trade we've got another high second-round pick and Lord knows what else if this is a real deal. And taking Pitts behind Chase or Sewell instead of in front of them doesn't seem as risky. If they're using him as basically a third receiver, then he does meet a need.

And, if Pitts is half as good as they say he is, he and Joe Burrow should be able to make beautiful music together if he can't jam with Chase. 

Not only that, Pitts is the best player on the board at this point as well as the last remaining elite prospect.

38. BENGALS _ DE Jayson Oweh, Penn State; Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com

A 6-5, 257-pound diamond in the rough? Or a gem waiting to shine? Workout wonder or ascending star? Depends who you ask.

But Pro Football Focus has him 23rd on their big board, NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah ranks him 31st and The Sporting News has him at No. 34, a spot ahead of Phillips, the first Edge taken in this draft. So if you're looking for an Edge guy, and you have to feel the Bengals are with the fewest sacks in the league since 2017, here's a guy with the ratings.

Some cyberspace scouts are turned off by his thin football background (he didn't start playing until he was a high school junior), he played only 20 college games and he didn't have a sack last season in Penn State's truncated seven-game schedule.

Yet PFF gave him high grades against the run this year and there's no questioning his off-the-charts gifts. He blew everyone away at his pro day with a sub 4.4 40, unheard of on the Edge, along with a 39.5-inch vertical.

They say his speed makes him a bear against the option and he's got a knack for chasing down backs. With a 4.3 40, you can chase down anything. You can picture that coming in handy against Lamar and friends.

PFF says Oweh's NFL comp is Washington Edge Montez Sweat, the 26th pick in the 2019 draft. Sweat had seven sacks as a rookie and nine last season. Those numbers would be a nice comp, too.

39. BENGALS (via Carolina) - OT Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State; Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com

Radunz's club played just one game in 2020 and Jeremiah rated him 47th on his board. But CBS Sports has him at No. 32 and PFF puts him at No. 28 as the draft's fifth best tackle.

He quickly shrugged off the small school label when he was the consensus top-graded offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl, where he overcame the rust and was named the practice player of the week. At 6-5, 304 pounds, Radunz is on the smallish side for tackle, but the cyber scouts say he was strong enough to stop the explosiveness on the Senior Bowl edge.

He's got the position versatility the Bengals crave and while he sees himself as left tackle (he played 32 straight games there and North Dakota won them all while allowing Lance to shoot into the draft's top ten), he's being projected as a guy that can play up and down the line as a guard or a tackle. Word is he plays with a mean streak and has an excellent aptitude for the game.

Radunz is prepping for the draft much like Bengals left tackle Jonah Williams prepared for last season when he spent time in California working with former 49ers tackle Joe Staley.

So there it is. On paper in the top 39, we've added a generational tight end for a generational quarterback, a rising, gifted pass rusher that can chase down the AFC North's dangerous runners and a versatile, smart, athletic offensive lineman.

:::::::::::::::::

Personally, I might take back to back O linemen here depending on who is there.

But an interesting thought...

Change out Pitts for Slater and I'm happy.

6 minutes ago, gupps said:

Change out Pitts for Slater and I'm happy.

You want to add two Tackles?  I mean I dont hate the idea, but if we do trade down to 8 and take Slater, I think I'd like to fill out other spots. 

7 hours ago, bengaled said:

Perhaps, but let's not get confused into accepting that Jamar Chase is the only wideout in this draft who can get separation, OK? That would be really lazy thinking, because he's not.

Let's also not get confused into accepting that Sewell is the only OL in this draft that can block, OK?

1 hour ago, Sox said:

Let's also not get confused into accepting that Sewell is the only OL in this draft that can block, OK?

I have nothing against Sewell at all, but I'm kinda hoping he's not the pick at 5 just to watch the wobblers some around here will throw.

Of course, I'm different in that I'd be OK with possibly trading down in the 1st Rd (staying in the top 10) and 1 picking up and extra 2nd & 3rd [+?](even if it means going to a secondary Rd 1 target.

I think this team has more needs than just a stud OT or WR can fill.

I'd like to see them come out of the 4th Rd (pick 110) with a Starting level OT, OG, an outside starting WR a slot receiver with deep speed, a rotational 3Tech DL and a rotational Edge (or similar) - not necessarily in that order.

16 hours ago, membengal said:

Because there is NOTHING in the WR room behind Higgins and Boyd. You cannot seriously be okay with the anchor that is Auden Tate opposite Higgins. He is anti-separation. Same with Mike Thomas. Just, the definition of below average. That's why. WR is gaping yawning chasm of a need. And the team went out of its way NOT to address it in FA. Which means they are looking to the draft. 

Tate was our 5th highest rated offensive player per PFF, 6th overall on the team. 

16 hours ago, membengal said:

We don't draft for need. 

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Agree 100%, we need an OL so pass catchers can make it more than 20 yards downfield before the QB gets hit.

No argument. But you can get those guys at 38. There will be a more limited selection of WRs at 38 that will fit our needs. 

Bengals’ traditional draft strategy suggests they’ll take Penei Sewell

It would be a surprise for Cincinnati to draft the top wideout, Ja’Marr Chase, considering their usual approach to filling big needs early.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/4/5/22367006/2021-nfl-draft-bengals-oregon-ducks-news-penei-sewell

16 hours ago, High School Harry said:

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-com-media-mock-draft-we-have-a-trade

From Bengals.com.  Ge-off's mock with a trade... I must say I find it very interesting.

Trade #5 with Carolina for #8 and 39.

First Round for us goes...

1. JAGUARS - QB Trevor Lawrence, Clemson; Michael DiRocco, ESPN.com

And the QB run begins.

2. JETS - QB Zach Wilson, BYU; Rich Cimini, ESPN.com

All indications are this is the way it is headed. The 49ers trade seemed to confirm the Jets aren't budging.

3. 49ERS - QB Mac Jones, Alabama; Matt Maiocco, NBC Sports Bay Area

After the big trade, head coach Kyle Shanahan gets the kind of pocket passer he covets.

4. FALCONS - QB Justin Fields, Ohio State; D. Orlando Ledbetter, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

They hold the key in this draft. They could take any of the top five prospects or trade it.

5. PANTHERS (via Cincinnati) - QB Trey Lance, North Dakota State; Joe Person, The Athletic

The Bengals take advantage of the Panthers faced with the inability to wait for Teddy Bridgewater's successor in a furious wave of QBs.

6. DOLPHINS - WR Ja'Marr Chase, LSU; Armando Salguero, The Miami Herald

You can't say anymore that the Dolphins don't have any weapons.

7. LIONS – OT Penei Sewell, Oregon; Mike O'Hara, Detroitlions.com

This is one time when a team can honestly say they never thought he'd be there.

8. BENGALS (via Carolina) – TE Kyle Pitts, Florida; Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com

Hey, there's the off chance Sewell or Chase could have slipped through.

OK. OK. We remember. Last week we said Pitts scared us because rarely do tight ends drafted this high justify the value of the pick. Plus, this doesn't really address the neediest of the needs.

But now because of the trade we've got another high second-round pick and Lord knows what else if this is a real deal. And taking Pitts behind Chase or Sewell instead of in front of them doesn't seem as risky. If they're using him as basically a third receiver, then he does meet a need.

And, if Pitts is half as good as they say he is, he and Joe Burrow should be able to make beautiful music together if he can't jam with Chase. 

Not only that, Pitts is the best player on the board at this point as well as the last remaining elite prospect.

38. BENGALS _ DE Jayson Oweh, Penn State; Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com

A 6-5, 257-pound diamond in the rough? Or a gem waiting to shine? Workout wonder or ascending star? Depends who you ask.

But Pro Football Focus has him 23rd on their big board, NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah ranks him 31st and The Sporting News has him at No. 34, a spot ahead of Phillips, the first Edge taken in this draft. So if you're looking for an Edge guy, and you have to feel the Bengals are with the fewest sacks in the league since 2017, here's a guy with the ratings.

Some cyberspace scouts are turned off by his thin football background (he didn't start playing until he was a high school junior), he played only 20 college games and he didn't have a sack last season in Penn State's truncated seven-game schedule.

Yet PFF gave him high grades against the run this year and there's no questioning his off-the-charts gifts. He blew everyone away at his pro day with a sub 4.4 40, unheard of on the Edge, along with a 39.5-inch vertical.

They say his speed makes him a bear against the option and he's got a knack for chasing down backs. With a 4.3 40, you can chase down anything. You can picture that coming in handy against Lamar and friends.

PFF says Oweh's NFL comp is Washington Edge Montez Sweat, the 26th pick in the 2019 draft. Sweat had seven sacks as a rookie and nine last season. Those numbers would be a nice comp, too.

39. BENGALS (via Carolina) - OT Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State; Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com

Radunz's club played just one game in 2020 and Jeremiah rated him 47th on his board. But CBS Sports has him at No. 32 and PFF puts him at No. 28 as the draft's fifth best tackle.

He quickly shrugged off the small school label when he was the consensus top-graded offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl, where he overcame the rust and was named the practice player of the week. At 6-5, 304 pounds, Radunz is on the smallish side for tackle, but the cyber scouts say he was strong enough to stop the explosiveness on the Senior Bowl edge.

He's got the position versatility the Bengals crave and while he sees himself as left tackle (he played 32 straight games there and North Dakota won them all while allowing Lance to shoot into the draft's top ten), he's being projected as a guy that can play up and down the line as a guard or a tackle. Word is he plays with a mean streak and has an excellent aptitude for the game.

Radunz is prepping for the draft much like Bengals left tackle Jonah Williams prepared for last season when he spent time in California working with former 49ers tackle Joe Staley.

So there it is. On paper in the top 39, we've added a generational tight end for a generational quarterback, a rising, gifted pass rusher that can chase down the AFC North's dangerous runners and a versatile, smart, athletic offensive lineman.

:::::::::::::::::

Personally, I might take back to back O linemen here depending on who is there.

But an interesting thought...

No, no...fuck no!

16 hours ago, spicoli said:

If they take Sewell at 5 I’m gonna say they’d take someone like Pat Freiermuth in the second rather than a WR. Huge target. Just a hunch. 

I'd LOVE that selection! He's not getting the respect he deserves, because Pitts is such an elite prospect. 

13 hours ago, Sox said:

No, but he certainly is the one with the most upside! I will say it again, because it's important...you don't draft WRs in the top 5, unless you are a flailing team that doesn't understand how championships are built. Considering we have craters in the OL the pick at #5 should be an obvious one.

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

Much better value taking Chase at 5 and OL at 38 than Sewell at 5 and WR at 38...something to keep in mind. 

The problem is, there are a shit ton of folks that just don't think the way you do, nor that that would represent the best path forward for a franchise that refuses to spend legitimate money in free agency to obtain the type of talent that is necessary to protect it's main investment, namely Joe Burrow.. 

15 minutes ago, bengaled said:

No, but he certainly is the one with the most upside! I will say it again, because it's important...you don't draft WRs in the top 5, unless you are a flailing team that doesn't understand how championships are built. Considering we have craters in the OL the pick at #5 should be an obvious one.

We drafted AJ Green #4 overall.

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

You do understand that the reply to this will likely be that this is PROOF that “you don't draft WRs in the top 5, unless you are a flailing team that doesn't understand how championships are built.”  😎

1 minute ago, Cricket said:

You do understand that the reply to this will likely be that this is PROOF that “you don't draft WRs in the top 5, unless you are a flailing team that doesn't understand how championships are built.”  😎

:lol:

I full on expect it.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Yes we did. Now tell me, how did that work out in the big picture? Sure, he gained a lot of yards, but the point remains. Teams that draft WRs in the top 5 picks don't have the type of team composition that compete for championships. We twice went to the playoffs with AJ and didn't accomplish a damned thing once we got there either time. 

Archived