2021 Mock Draft Simulators

9 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I cannot see them doing this nor do I think it's the right move BUT I have been saying all along that a top tier TE would benefit Joe Burrow more than any other skill position. I think with a guy like Pitts he would absolutely shred defenses. 

How much has he played with his hand in the dirt and actually blocking people? 

My impression is that "pass-catching TE" sells better than "big possession receiver" which is maybe closer to the truth.

If they're dead set on drafting a WR at #5 I would prefer they go with the athletic freak over the "he was super best friends with JB!" option. 

Of course I think either one would be dumber'n shit if one of the 2 best OL in the draft are sitting there, but you can't buy Ferraris at WalMart or whatever-the-fuck..

5 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I cannot see them doing this nor do I think it's the right move BUT I have been saying all along that a top tier TE would benefit Joe Burrow more than any other skill position. I think with a guy like Pitts he would absolutely shred defenses. 

Kirwin did also say the Bengals would not likely take Pitts, but he would.

13 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

FYI only - Pat Kirwan talked Bengals today and said he would take Pitts over Sewell or Chase. Called him a matchup nightmare

Here's hte matchup nighmare I'm most worried about:

sack.png

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/4/8/22369418/duke-tobin-talks-o-line-depth-in-draft-confirms-he-gets-input-from-joe-burrow

While I recently said the Bengals’ recent Draft strategy suggests the team will take Penei Sewell, after comments made by Duke Tobin on Dan Hoard’s podcast, it appears they are moving away from that approach.

If you put Tobin’s comments together, it seems they are now favoring taking Ja’Marr Chase with the fifth overall pick.

This is because:

1. Tobin believes the Draft is filled with talented offensive linemen who can be starters, even as deep as the second and third rounds, as he said, “There will be guys available in the second round, third round that we have starter grades on.”
  2. He is happy with the direction of the offensive line and hinted that they will continue to improve it in free agency. “We think having healthy guys there and then the addition of Riley Reiff, we think we’re in a better spot than we were and (there will) still be additions to be named later,” he said.
  3. He mentioned that quarterback Joe Burrow is involved in the evaluation process, saying, “I talk to a lot of people throughout the process. He’s an engaging guy, so I like to engage with engaging guys. We’ll just leave it at that.”
  4. The Bengals probably aren’t going to trade down. If they do, it’ll be just a couple of spots to still get the guy they want. “We’ll be careful not to get overly greedy and get out of a spot to where we maybe lose a premier player,” Tobin said. “We feel like we’ll get one of the premier players in this draft.”
  5. If you combine the above with insider Malik Wright’s insistence that the Bengals aren’t targeting Kyle Pitts, this results in them taking Ja’Marr Chase, the most coveted non-OL talent that should interest the team. Unless, of course, they’re seriously considering Micah Parsons

On 4/6/2021 at 9:31 PM, WRAPradio said:

Is there any chance we go OL in the 1st and 2nd and completely rebuild the offensive line?  Sewell and any combo of Leatherwood, Humphrey, Dickerson would pretty much set us up for the next 4-5 years.  With Jonah, Hopkins, Reiff (one year) we’d actually have a little depth as well assuming the rookies play at least close to expectations. 

I think there is a chance. I think I want OL in 2 regardless of who they take at 5. Unless someone unexpected falls to 38. 

45 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

More likely WR 1 and OL 2 and 3. 

Or DE in 3 and OL in 4

I’m still on Team Chase at 5, although releasing Bernard has made me a little more willing to take Sewell.  But if they do take Sewell, I wouldn’t object to another OL at 38. 

IF they take Sewell and Marshall and Bateman are both long gone (like I expect) when we pick in round 2 I would rather they take another o-lineman at 38 than select a WR who profiles to the slot or otherwise reach for a WR who plays the outside but who should go a round or two later.

The depth of this draft at 38 and 69 is at o-line and d-line. IF they go Sewell, they need to lean into that depth and hope to get some project WRs in 4th - 7th rounds.

It is not my preferred course of action, but what they should do if they go Sewell in 1. 

As always, no reaching. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

IF they take Sewell and Marshall and Bateman are both long gone (like I expect) when we pick in round 2 I would rather they take another o-lineman at 38 than select a WR who profiles to the slot or otherwise reach for a WR who plays the outside but who should go a round or two later

1 hour ago, membengal said:

As always, no reaching. 

Agreed 

If we get to Monday after the draft and he is still there (that's the day we can sign FAs and not affect the potential draft compensation for losing Lawson in whatever formula that is) - then I would hope for Kenny Stills. He's still unsigned - he has the speed, and he could start opposite Tee and let WRs drafted 4th - 7th round somewhere learn and fight to get on field. 

Again, it's not my first choice, but if they don't get Chase and given that they sat out earlier free agency, I would want that 100 times out of 100 over just handing the spot to Tate. 

Another possibility that fits that vet speed mold would be Marquis Goodwin. He's still unsigned. Weston has been mentioning Demiere Byrd. I don't know as much about him as a fit. 

It's a short list. It's not ideal, but there's a few names. 

2 minutes ago, membengal said:

If we get to Monday after the draft and he is still there (that's the day we can sign FAs and not affect the potential draft compensation for losing Lawson in whatever formula that is) - then I would hope for Kenny Stills. He's still unsigned - he has the speed, and he could start opposite Tee and let WRs drafted 4th - 7th round somewhere learn and fight to get on field. 

Again, it's not my first choice, but if they don't get Chase and given that they sat out earlier free agency, I would want that 100 times out of 100 over just handing the spot to Tate. 

I would be shocked if Tate was the starting WR, I think everyone knows we some speed at that starting spot. 

Sure. Where's that coming from? If they pass on Chase and do not reach should Bateman/Marshall indeed be gone at 38 and they don't get Dyami Brown, then are you really penciling in a 5th round WR to start? I guess we could but that is...rare. 

1 minute ago, membengal said:

Sure. Where's that coming from? If they pass on Chase and do not reach should Bateman/Marshall indeed be gone at 38 and they don't get Dyami Brown, then are you really penciling in a 5th round WR to start? I guess we could but that is...rare. 

I would assume a FA pickup as noted above. I am not sure the team is adamant they need to target WR high in the draft (other than Chase option) but I think we can all agree the team definitely wants to add a few OL high in the draft. I am wondering if they also want to get a DE before a WR

In this draft, IF they don't get Chase, they should absolutely wait on WR - per my post above. But that simply brings me back around to pointing at the gaping hole at WR and in the WR room that too many people pretend isn't there. It's there. When last season ended, being at a point where you are hoping that Stills or Goodwin or maybe trading for a bust and trying to rejuventate him at this point in early April being a thing, well, had I been told that I would have correctly said that's a fail.  People pretend it didn't happen for some reason, but at least they signed Reiff and he stabalizes the line heading into the draft. They completely ignored WR. And here we are. 

17 minutes ago, membengal said:

In this draft, IF they don't get Chase, they should absolutely wait on WR - per my post above. But that simply brings me back around to pointing at the gaping hole at WR and in the WR room that too many people pretend isn't there. It's there. When last season ended, being at a point where you are hoping that Stills or Goodwin or maybe trading for a bust and trying to rejuventate him at this point in early April being a thing, well, had I been told that I would have correctly said that's a fail.  People pretend it didn't happen for some reason, but at least they signed Reiff and he stabalizes the line heading into the draft. They completely ignored WR. And here we are. 

Speed receiver is a concern that needs to be addressed, as well as filling out the WR room, just as you stated. I am in total agreement with you on that. My only disagreement comes with how they do that.

1 hour ago, bengaled said:

Speed receiver is a concern that needs to be addressed, as well as filling out the WR room, just as you stated. I am in total agreement with you on that. My only disagreement comes with how they do that.

If they draft Sewell and dont sign a FA 

Receiver then what type do they want..

Hell most speedy receivers are slot guys.

Since we have an outstandind slot in Boyd where do they turn?Do they turn one of the slot receivers in the draft to a wideout??

Theres alot to choose from if you want speed on the outside..

Trying to make slot guys outside receivers is generally a BAD idea. If they could do that, their teams would already have done that in college. In this draft, if you pass Chase and Bateman/Marshall don't slide and you pass on Dyami Brown, then you are better off waiting to rounds 4 and 5 and taking a swing at the Anthony Schwartz types rather than reaching or trying to make a slot into something they have not shown they can do.

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

All the speed in the world isn't going to keep Joe Burrow upright.

Is Chase the only starting WR talent in this draft? Somehow I doubt it.

Agree.. Im all in on Sewell ..

I dont believe Bateman Wallace Brown will All be gone at 38...

Archived