2021 Mock Draft Simulators

7 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Just read an article out of Boston that said the Patriots have been in trade talks with us the last few days to get 1 of the 5 QBs..

Their supposed offer is they trade

2 firsts ..2 seconds..2 thirds this yr and next....2 of their 4ths this year..

They draft 15..  

Quite an offer..

I say hummmm.....what say you to such a deal?

I said I want to trade down, but didn't want to trade out of the top 10. 

That said I'd do this and try to trade back up into the top 10. Even if I couldn't I'd do this and take the top T at 15 

2 hours ago, Sox said:

You dodged my question but I'll answer yours. Sam Cosmi, Teven Jenkins, Dillon Radunz, Jalen Mayfield, Alex Leatherwood, Liam Eichenberg, Walker Little, Jackson Carmen. Some of these guys may actually go in the late 1st,and one or two may go near the end of the 2nd/early 3rd. There are a few others that will likely (imo) go in the 3rd. This excludes the guards I think will go in the 2nd to 3rd round. The Bengals could select either or in the 2nd, but the OT talent pool thins out sooner than the OG pool does imo. 

Are those tackles a step down from Sewell? On paper, yes but they certainly look pretty solid and would have a year to either learn behind Reiff, or play at RG, and I believe the drop off to who we could select in the 2nd would be much less than the drop off at receiver.

Now YOUR turn. Give me your list of receivers that you think are comparable to Chase that are likely 2nd rounders. None of them are named oh plenty.

Good grief gents, at EVERY position there is a dropoff from the top of the first round to the top of the second. And every year, there are players in round 2 that end up better than round 1. But the draft is about ODDS and certain positions, most notably OT and QB, the success rate is much higher when the player is drafted high. All things being equal, if any team needed both an OT and WR and there was a choice between an elite prospect at both positions - I would guess at least 30 of 32 teams would pick the OL. Remember this is a QB driven league and good OL are harder to find then good WR's, that is just a fact in the league today. 

The smart move would be to pick Sewell over Chase if both are there. The brilliant move would be to trade down once or twice in round one and load up on more picks. This team is still 10 players away - not 1 elite one. 

If they do pick Chase we had better hope they have an actual plan in place to get 2 OL after that and not wait for the draft to come to them. Remember they like this Wilton DT and I can see them taking him in 2 instead of an OL. 

Funny thing about trading around picks in the draft - when my Winnipeg Jets do it I trust they have a plan because they have a very good scouting staff. With the Bengals draft, it really feels like we only succeed when players fall to us. I just don't trust their draft room abilities. So more picks would be better as it would increase the chances of success. 

2 hours ago, gupps said:

You would HAVE to take this, it would be insane not to. Why am I having flashbacks to Akili Smith?

Seriously, with all those picks you would probably have to package a few of them to move up just to bleed some of htem off. But boy could we fill some holes.

Pats only have 1 2nd & 3rd rounder this year, so we would get their picks in those rounds next year as well. I recall Belichik once saying he liked dealing with Mikey on trades because he is a straight shooter - tells you what he wants right from the start.

The reality is there are a bunch of OL prospects in this draft.  If a bunch were 1st round quality, they would be going in the first round.  All those 2nd and 3rd round guys are just that, 2nd and 3rd rounders.  Guys who are riskier.  Guys who may need a couple years of NFL training to be starters.  This team needs a starter on the OL in the worst way.  More than one, actually.  I'm sure Chase is a great talent.  He may put up great numbers, but if Burrow spends the season on his back or IR the Bengals won't win shit.  There seem to be multiple 1st round tackles available.  Take one.  Trade down if you can, but get the best OL you can from the draft.

10 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Funny thing about trading around picks in the draft - when my Winnipeg Jets do it I trust they have a plan because they have a very good scouting staff. With the Bengals draft, it really feels like we only succeed when players fall to us. I just don't trust their draft room abilities. So more picks would be better as it would increase the chances of success. 

Winnipeg Jets?  Now that's an odd combo.  Cincinnati Bengals and Winnipeg Jets.  You have a thing for the smallest media market in a sport?

Let's put it this way for the guys who are suggesting a 2nd round T is a 2nd round T.

If a guy like Leatherwood or Cosmi were taken any other year where there weren't as many T's available, would they still be projected 2nd rounders or would we be talking about them as first round guys?

On top of that Jamie, we are picking 38th, NOT 60th. We are literally in the right spot to get someone who slid out of first round but is otherwise a first rounder in talent. Guys slide ALL THE TIME to that area of the draft that catches people off guard. WIth a really deep o-line class, they are going to have someone at 38 who can help immediately at o-line.

2 minutes ago, membengal said:

On top of that Jamie, we are picking 38th, NOT 60th. We are literally in the right spot to get someone who slid out of first round but is otherwise a first rounder in talent. Guys slide ALL THE TIME to that area of the draft that catches people off guard. WIth a really deep o-line class, they are going to have someone at 38 who can help immediately at o-line.

Yup. 

I am comfortable with whatever the Bengals do in this situation.

Take Sewell? Fine, let him start at LT asap, and move Williams to RT and Reiff inside asap.

Take Chase or Pitts? Fine, they start right away and take a guy like Leatherwood or Cosmi at 38 and let them start at RG, then kick them out to RT next year.

What I don't want to do is draft Sewell, and put him at guard, and Williams as LT then move both guys next year. If we take Sewell I want both he and Willams moved to their long term spots. 

10 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Yup. 

I am comfortable with whatever the Bengals do in this situation.

Take Sewell? Fine, let him start at LT asap, and move Williams to RT and Reiff inside asap.

Take Chase or Pitts? Fine, they start right away and take a guy like Leatherwood or Cosmi at 38 and let them start at RG, then kick them out to RT next year.

What I don't want to do is draft Sewell, and put him at guard, and Williams as LT then move both guys next year. If we take Sewell I want both he and Willams moved to their long term spots. 

I am not sure any drafted player should just be plunked into the lineup regardless of where they were drafted. Sewell is very young and missed last year so it would not surprise me to see him be a backup for half a season or a full season (or guard).

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I am not sure any drafted player should just be plunked into the lineup regardless of where they were drafted. Sewell is very young and missed last year so it would not surprise me to see him be a backup for half a season or a full season (or guard).

Oline is a position group that need time to play together, moving around as much as we had to do due to injuries last year hurt them just as much as the injuries themselves imho.  I'd like to get guys playing the spots they are gonna play so the Oline as a whole can gel quicker 

19 hours ago, spicoli said:

Pitts may never reach those numbers....that doesn't mean he's not a better athlete or better prospect however. There's a reason all of these evaluators continuously call him the best TE prospect they've ever seen.

Because we all know who the best TE prospect in history was. 

9 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Just read an article out of Boston that said the Patriots have been in trade talks with us the last few days to get 1 of the 5 QBs..

Their supposed offer is they trade

2 firsts ..2 seconds..2 thirds this yr and next....2 of their 4ths this year..

They draft 15..  

Quite an offer..

I say hummmm.....what say you to such a deal?

First, with that offer, they could get higher than pick 5. Atlanta would probably make that deal. 

Second, if that offer was really made to the Bengals, of course we should accept it. But our chief decision maker is the guy who turned down the Ricky Williams deal to take Akili Smith. 

After looking at it again it does seem excessive picks for that move up. You 'drop a round' n thinking for a future pick a year down the road so they deal would be more like: 

1 first rounder

2 seconds

2 thirds

3 fourths

This is the NPV of that deal, does still seem heavy. Regardless, I am sure there will lots of talk about both our pick and the Falcons pick

32 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

First, with that offer, they could get higher than pick 5. Atlanta would probably make that deal. 

Second, if that offer was really made to the Bengals, of course we should accept it. But our chief decision maker is the guy who turned down the Ricky Williams deal to take Akili Smith. 

I would say take it and trade back higher in the first round for .... best Olineman unless someone killer should happen to slide.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Let's put it this way for the guys who are suggesting a 2nd round T is a 2nd round T.

If a guy like Leatherwood or Cosmi were taken any other year where there weren't as many T's available, would they still be projected 2nd rounders or would we be talking about them as first round guys?

If that's the case you are taking a big risk other teams don't step up late in the first round and take the guys you are talking about.  If they are first round talent someone will take them.  I don't buy the "it's so deep at OL that the 2nd rounders are first round talent" jive.  Guys slide to the 2nd round and further because there are issues compared to 1st round picks.  The bottom line is the Bengals need a starter on OL out of this draft.  Badly.  It's much more likely they will get one in the 1st round than the 2nd, 3rd, etc.  It would be nice to stock up on WR talent, but it's not the end of the world if they don't.

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

If that's the case you are taking a big risk other teams don't step up late in the first round and take the guys you are talking about.  If they are first round talent someone will take them.  I don't buy the "it's so deep at OL that the 2nd rounders are first round talent" jive.  Guys slide to the 2nd round and further because there are issues compared to 1st round picks.  The bottom line is the Bengals need a starter on OL out of this draft.  Badly.  It's much more likely they will get one in the 1st round than the 2nd, 3rd, etc.  It would be nice to stock up on WR talent, but it's not the end of the world if they don't.

Teams at the end of the 1st round typically dont need tackles, the only exception this year might be the Cheifs because they let both of theirs go.

I don't think it's as big of a risk as you do.

Just now, Jamie_B said:

Teams at the end of the 1st round typically dont need tackles, the only exception this year might be the Cheifs because they let both of theirs go.

I don't think it's as big of a risk as you do.

Honestly, I'm in to zero risk when it comes to protecting Burrow.  Can't have the franchise player beat to death in his first couple of years.  We've seen that show before.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Like the post but please delete that picture.

I threw up my morning coffee in my mouth a little bit when I

opened the thread and saw it first thing this morning and would

prefer not seeing it every time I open this page for updates throughout

the day.

Bad Karma, Hoo Doo and brings back memories I would just as soon forget.

Thanks.

hats-off-salute-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited, just for you. I did it because people need to remember what happened and why and stop talking about WR in the first being an intelligent pick.

Archived