2021 Mock Draft Simulators

17 hours ago, Jason said:

I think Atlanta takes Pitts, and I’m still team Chase, but I’d be happy with this result. 

Fontenot knows Chase better than any prospect in this draft and every reason the Bengals have for drafting him applies to the Falcons as well.  

They have two aging stars with big contract, Ryan and Jones, that are looking to win now who would benefit if the  Chase. Also it allows then cut Julio and not have a huge whole in the roster. 

Chase grew up in Fontenot's backyard literally and played college ball in his hometown, he knows what Chase brings to a team and I wouldn't be surprised if the Falcons drafted him at 4.

17 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I think Atlanta needs to groom a QB until Ryans contract runs out..2yrs??

I see them debating on taking Trey Lance if hes on the board..

I live in Atlanta and listen to the local sports radio station that is the flagship for the Falcons all the time. They frequently interview Blank and he makes it clear that he loves Ryan. Mainly because he saved his franchise after Vick tanked his brand for killing and fighting dogs and took his franchise to a Superbowl which lead to a new stadium. He has publicly stated that Ryan and Julio would be Falcons for life and their contracts are structured that way with huge amounts of dead money. Ryan will be the QB until his contract expires and the Falcons will either draft Chase, Pitts, or trade back. 

The last few seasons the Falcons offense has struggled because of lack of depth at WR. Julio has misses games and outside of Ridley they don't have much depth. Julio's salary is too big for the Falcons to sign a big FA WR so they have to draft to get an elite talent at that position. 

I don't believe the new GM and coach are going to draft a QB who's going to sit for years with the 4th overall pick. They need an impact player that helps this team score points that comes with the least amount of risk. One of the best ways to de-leverage risk is through making informed decisions. Fontenot knows Chase's background the best out of Pitts and Chase.

Taking Chase makes a lot sense for the Falcons unless offers them a king's ransom for essentially the 4th best QB in this draft.

52 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

This is a "people still die wearing seatbelts so seatbelts don't matter" tier argument.

I take as more of a “Sewell may not be the ‘generational talent’ that some have projected him to be” argument.

:shrug:  

15 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I live in Atlanta and listen to the local sports radio station that is the flagship for the Falcons all the time. They frequently interview Blank and he makes it clear that he loves Ryan. Mainly because he saved his franchise after Vick tanked his brand for killing and fighting dogs and took his franchise to a Superbowl which lead to a new stadium. He has publicly stated that Ryan and Julio would be Falcons for life and their contracts are structured that way with huge amounts of dead money. Ryan will be the QB until his contract expires and the Falcons will either draft Chase, Pitts, or trade back. 

The last few seasons the Falcons offense has struggled because of lack of depth at WR. Julio has misses games and outside of Ridley they don't have much depth. Julio's salary is too big for the Falcons to sign a big FA WR so they have to draft to get an elite talent at that position. 

I don't believe the new GM and coach are going to draft a QB who's going to sit for years with the 4th overall pick. They need an impact player that helps this team score points that comes with the least amount of risk. One of the best ways to de-leverage risk is through making informed decisions. Fontenot knows Chase's background the best out of Pitts and Chase.

Taking Chase makes a lot sense for the Falcons unless offers them a king's ransom for essentially the 4th best QB in this draft.

Tks for the inside info..

Seems Chase will be their guy then barring a trade..

Just now, Cricket said:

I take as more of a “Sewell may not be the ‘generational talent’ that some have projected him to be” argument.

Pretty much. Also puts a lie to they draft Sewell or Burrow's knees get it.  I mean, they can draft Sewell and Burrow's knees may still get it. He's got his flaws. 

We have two 1st round tackles in place. If they take Sewell and he is at RG this year, great by me. But there has been this dishonest as fuck discourse from the pro-Sewell crowd that says if they draft Chase that Burrow is being neglected. It's pure bullshit. 

5 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Best to drop the "generational" tags on these young kids..

Until they play in the NFL theyre just a rookie.

https://theathletic.com/2530958/2021/04/21/ranking-top-wide-receivers-tight-ends-in-2021-nfl-draft-bob-mcginns-draft-grades-are-in/

Editor’s note: This is the 37th year Bob McGinn has written an NFL Draft Series. Previously, it appeared in the Green Bay Press-Gazette (1985-91), the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (1992-2017) and BobMcGinnFootball.com (2018-19). Through 2014, scouts often were quoted by name. The series reluctantly adopted an all-anonymous format in 2015 at the request of most scouts. This will be a nine-part series, starting with receivers and tight ends.

The NFL Draft is one thing, a football career quite another. Suffice it to say that it has been a long time since two can’t-miss prospects such as Ja’Marr Chase and Kyle Pitts have surfaced at wide receiver and tight end, respectively, in the same draft.

Scouts are a notoriously independent lot. They spend their existence differentiating one player from another, stating if not arguing their opinions and participating in what ultimately becomes a team’s draft ratings. But when it comes to Chase and Pitts, you can’t find a dissenting voice.

“So glaringly amazing” was how one veteran of 20 scouting years described Pitts, the junior from Florida. Chase, who played at LSU for two seasons before opting out in 2020, is a “modern-day Sterling Sharpe,” according to another. They both played in the Southeastern Conference, as did all five of the top-rated wide receivers.

“If you perform in big games in the SEC, you’re going to play well in the NFL,” said one personnel evaluator. “The fan level. The interest that you draw. How to handle the public. All those things carry over to the NFL as far as you handle yourself. Some of them are going to fail, but it gives them a better chance, for sure.” Chase and Pitts both were unanimous choices at their positions in my poll of 16 evaluators over the past three weeks. That hasn’t happened at wide receiver since 2007, when Calvin Johnson came out of Georgia Tech to claim the unanimous vote of 18 scouts. From 2008 to 2020, the only wideout that came within one of vote of unanimity was Michael Crabtree in 2009.

“Chase is one of the best wide receivers in the last 10 years,” said a longtime scout. “He’s as strong as one of those big tight ends. He just goes and takes the ball away. He can take an underneath ball and go 80 yards. He can just run right by you and catch it 60 yards downfield. He’s built like a fullback almost, but can run like a wide receiver. He’s as good as it gets.”

A.J. Smith, the former general manager of the San Diego Chargers, in 2007 labeled Johnson, aka “Megatron,” as “one of the easiest picks of all time. Who’s the one guy you’re betting the house on will be a performer, won’t embarrass you, won’t get the money and run south? This is the one guy.” Saddled with the forlorn franchise in Detroit, Johnson walked away after nine seasons with a career that led (in February) to his first-ballot enshrinement in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Chase seemed to be a no-brainer of a response when scouts were asked to name their top five wide receivers. A first-place vote was worth five points, a second was worth four and so on.  Following Chase, who earned the maximum 80 points from the 16 voters, were: Jaylen Waddle (53), DeVonta Smith (52), Elijah Moore (18), Kadarius Toney (11), Rashod Bateman (11), Rondale Moore (eight), Terrace Marshall (five), Dyami Brown (one) and Amari Rodgers (one).

“Man, it was one of the more impressive pro days I’ve ever seen,” one scout said after attending Chase’s workout on March 31 in Baton Rouge. “Everything looked easy. He was strong. He was fast. I don’t think he sweated the whole workout. “He jumped 41 (inches) on the vertical, and I think he could have done 43. He ran 3.99 on the short shuttle. Did one rep. I don’t know if he tried real hard. I had 4.38 (in the 40). And he caught the ball really well.”

“I see a smart football player,” said an AFC scout. “That offense they had under (offensive coordinator Joe) Brady the last time he played was an NFL offense. They used him outside, they used him inside. You saw no limitations on what he could do.”

Besides the talent of Chase and the presence of two first-round choices from Alabama, Waddle and Smith, this class of wide receivers is distinguished by its lack of size. If a team looking for a slot receiver can’t come up with one this season, chalk it up to lousy scouting. Five of the top 10 wideouts measured under 5-foot-10: Waddle, Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore, Rodgers and D’Wayne Eskridge. That equals the number from the last 10 drafts: Marquise “Hollywood” Brown (5-foot-9½, 168) in 2019, Phillip Dorsett (5-foot-9½, 184 pounds) in 2015, Brandin Cooks (5-foot-9½, 187) in 2014, Tavon Austin (5-foot-8 ½, 173) in 2013 and Jerrel Jernigan (5-foot-9, 185) in 2011.

Dorsett, Austin and Jernigan were deep disappointments, but some others on the short end of 5-foot-10 have made big splashes. That list includes Tyreek Hill (5-foot-8, 184) and T.Y. Hilton (5-foot-9½, 181). Standing an even 5-foot-10 were Antonio Brown and Tyler Lockett.  “It’s a slot draft,” said another AFC scout. “Historically, yeah, you take them in the third or fourth rounds, but they’re going more in the second now. Waddle’s going in the first. Coordinators are so creative with those guys now.”

At the same time, it’s a rare off year for those preferring Calvin Johnson-like dimensions. There isn’t a top-10 wideout at 6-foot-3 or taller after 23 at that height or taller were slotted in the top 10 over the last 10 drafts. “The evolution of this game has happened so much right before our guys,” another executive in personnel said. “These slot receivers, from 155 pounds up to 215, are productive, skilled, talented. Every school in the country has three- and four-receiver packages. The truth is, for every good lineman, there’s six wideouts. It is so crazy.”

Meanwhile, an AFC scout turned up his nose when assessing the crop of tight ends. “There’s the guy at Florida (Pitts) and then a huge gap,” he said. “Then there’s the guy at Penn State (Pat Freiermuth) and another gap. Then it’s a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.”  Pitts collected every first-place vote in the poll that asked the personnel men to identify their four best tight ends. Pitts and his 64 points were followed by Freiermuth (40), Tommy Tremble (19), Hunter Long (18), Brevin Jordan (16), John Bates (one), Noah Gray (one) and Tre McKitty (one).

The last unanimous pick at tight end was Eric Ebron. The Lions drafted Ebron in 2014 just as they did Brandon Pettigrew in 2009, another unanimous choice.  We’d have to travel back 15 years to pinpoint a tight end (Vernon Davis) that has created a stir like Pitts. My poll had 21 scouts participating in 2006, and Davis got the call from all 21 in a class that included Marcedes Lewis. Davis’ combine workout — 4.38 40, vertical of 42 inches, broad jump of 10-8, 33 reps on the bench — was the best witnessed from a tight end.

“There’s absolutely nothing not to like about this guy,” former Bears GM Jerry Angelo said then. “(Kellen) Winslow II, (Tony) Gonzalez, (Jeremy) Shockey had pretty good speed when they came out, but nobody put up these kinds of numbers. Nobody.”

After playing 14 seasons, Davis finished tied for 10th in receptions by a tight end with 583. His average yards per catch of 13.0 is better than the other nine, indicating how dangerous he was.

Pitts might not be as explosively sudden as Davis, but he was far more versatile and fluent in his assignments, a smoother athlete and a better blocker. Three scouts with 20-plus years in the league all said they had never evaluated a tight end better than Pitts.

“People say, ‘He’s a tight end. They can’t change a game,’” said one longtime executive. “This guy can. I graded Tony Gonzalez, Jeremy Shockey, Kellen Winslow II. Especially with the way football is played nowadays, he is just rare. He is a game-changer.”

Perhaps the active player most comparable to Pitts would be the Raiders’ Darren Waller. He had almost identical size (6-foot-6, 240), speed (4.45) and other workout numbers before the Ravens drafted him in the sixth round as a wide receiver in 2015. Since converting to tight end, Waller has posted two gigantic seasons.

“Waller is what you envision when you draft (Pitts),” said an AFC executive. “That’s kind of the floor that you envision.”

If Pitts’ new team frequently detaches him from the formation rather than confining him to a traditional “Y” tight end role, he and Chase certainly should be in the hunt for Offensive Rookie of the Year honors.

WR Rankings

1. Ja’Marr Chase, LSU (6-foot-0½, 201 pounds, 4.34 40, Round 1 draft grade): Played alongside Justin Jefferson, who went No. 22 to the Vikings in the 2020 draft and had a tremendous rookie season (88 catches, 1,400 yards, seven touchdowns).

“Justin Jefferson ripped up the league this year, but you didn’t even recognize him when you watched LSU,” one scout said alluding to Chase’s phenomenal season in 2019. “Chase was an NFL football player as an 18-year-old. Plays mature. Looks like a guy ready to come in and anchor a passing game, even with the occasional wart. Even if you knock him off his route, he has the strength to get back on schedule.”  The third-year junior from Harvey, La., led all receivers in the 20-yard shuttle (3.99). Will the Bengals select Chase at No. 5, reuniting him with quarterback Joe Burrow?  “If he got tied up with Burrow again, I think he’d have a hell of a career,” a second scout said. “If he goes someplace where they don’t have a quarterback, he’ll struggle. With wide receivers, it’s all about the mindset and the quarterback. He runs with power. He has great quickness. He makes things look easy, and because of it, he’s deceptively quick and fast.”  Part-time starter as a true freshman in 2018, started all 14 games for the national champions in ’19 and opted out of ’20.  “People were a little worried what he would run and what he was going to test,” a third scout said. “Then all his tests and numbers were very good. He just sort of pushes through people. He’s 20 or 30 pounds bigger than DeVonta Smith.” Finished with 107 receptions for 2,093 yards (19.6) and 23 touchdowns.  “How can you bypass him?” a fourth scout said. “He’s a great player. Sterling Sharpe (5-foot-11½, 207) was a strong guy. There were very few people out there as powerful as Sharpe. This guy’s smoother and more explosive. He ran right by (Alabama’s) Patrick Surtain.”

2. DeVonta Smith, Alabama (6-foot-0, 170, no 40, Round 1): It’s difficult to find a current receiver or one from the past with Smith’s unusual dimensions.  “When (Henry) Ruggs and (Jerry) Jeudy came out last year, I said the best football player was Smith,” said one scout. “Those guys went top 15, but now I don’t know if DeVonta will go top 15 when push comes to shove because he’s 170 pounds. He is rail-thin. Bama was 21 points better than everybody they played. It was a perfect world, and I think life will be a little tougher than what it was this past year.”  Elected not to run the 40 at pro day. Best estimates would be in the 4.4s.  “I don’t worry about his size,” another scout said. “We got (small) guys up here that kick everybody’s butt. Guys are 190, 200 on pro day and they’ll play at 185, 179. They get up here, their diet changes. The way the rules have changed, especially at receiver, those guys aren’t getting heavy collisions anymore. It’s 7-on-7 ball half the time.”

Smith won the most recent Heisman Trophy in lopsided fashion after his 117-reception, 23-touchdown senior season.

“If you were just picking people to play football in the backyard, he’d be the first pick every year,” a third scout said. “He is skinny, but he’s so good. He is strong. Every year he just improved.”

The Amite, La., native finished with 235 receptions for 3,965 yards (16.9 average) and 46 touchdowns.

“He is really a smooth, fluid athlete,” said a fourth scout. “It’s almost effortless. He’s tiny at 170, but he doesn’t get knocked around. He doesn’t get rerouted against press coverage.”

3. Jaylen Waddle, Alabama (5-foot-9½, 180, no 40, Round 1): He’s the premier kick returner in the draft and a dangerous threat from the slot.

“He’s got like eight eyeballs,” said one scout. “He’s got eyes all the way around his head. He’s video game-like, he’s so decisive. You push the little button on your video game and the guy breaks left, right or vertically. Devin Hester was really good, but with him, you didn’t know what you were going to do with him on offense. This guy, you can definitely utilize him on offense.”

Several teams remain concerned about the ankle he had operated on midseason. Third-year junior from Houston posted a total of 106 receptions for 1,999 yards (18.9 average) and 17 touchdowns.

“I think he could play outside,” said a third scout. “To his advantage, you can move him all over the place. He’s a little guy who plays big down the field. His speed is game-changing.”

4. Elijah Moore, Ole Miss (5-foot-9½, 178, 4.35, Round 1 or 2): Third-year junior from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., posted the fastest 3-cone (6.67) of the leading WRs.

“He’s my favorite player not named Ja’Marr Chase,” one scout said. “My way-too-crazy comparison for him was Antonio Brown. That’s honestly who I think he can be like. I would consider taking him at the end of the first (round). With the size, some people think he can only be a slot receiver. I think he can play inside and outside. He plays really fast. He’s strong.”

His 17 reps on the bench press almost doubled Kadarius Toney’s total (nine). The top three wideouts didn’t lift.

“The (Alabama) guys got all the attention, but this guy isn’t far behind,” said another scout. “He’s a good little player. Fun to watch.”  Started 24 of 32 games over three seasons, catching 189 passes for 2,441 yards (12.9 average) and 16 touchdowns.

“You can find homes for these guys,” said a third scout. “No, I don’t think he’s too small. I just don’t know if he’s special. When I see a small guy, I’ve got to go back to Roscoe Parrish, who athletically was just so dynamic.”

Said a fourth scout: “He’s not explosive (speed-wise), but he has such pace on his routes and stop-start quickness that he gets everybody off balance. Ball skills are natural, fluid. He’s slick with his run after catch. Love him as a player.”

5. Kadarius Toney, Florida (5-foot-11½, 193, 4.37, Round 1 or 2): Played some running back, some wide receiver, some Wildcat quarterback and returned kicks during his first three largely unproductive seasons in Gainesville.

“He wasn’t even rated, but I liked him from the beginning of the (2020) season,” one scout said. “He had some issues as a junior, but he is a tremendous player.”

Was involved in a pair of off-field incidents involving guns in 2018. Some teams are concerned that his interest in the music industry — he has produced some of his own rap music — might be greater than it is for football.

“He is a passionate rap artist,” said another scout. “On green-yellow-red, he’s a yellow … that dude’s explosive. He’s got 10-yard acceleration like (Tyreek) Hill.”

The Mobile, Ala., native broke out as a receiver in 2020. Finished with 120 receptions for 1,490 yards (12.4 average) and 12 touchdowns.

“We would never draft him, but he’s a matchup nightmare for a defense as a slot,” said a third scout. “He’s got excellent ball skills and feel for the position. He’s strong and competitive with the ball in his hands. In the right system, that takes huge advantage of the slot wide receiver, he offers a lot.”

Said a fourth scout: “If I’m looking at him through the eyes of a quarterback, I think he’s kind of hard to read. He does so much shake and bake that you don’t know if he’s going left, right or sitting down. Not to take away from his creativity, but to play within a scheme, you’ve got to stay within your own area with your route. This guy is a little all over the map. His thing is just the change of direction. He is so skilled.”

6. Rashod Bateman, Minnesota (6-foot-0½, 190, 4.45, Round 2): Named MVP of the Gophers’ 11-2 team in 2019 before playing five games without distinction in 2020 and then opting out of the final three games.

“Tale of two seasons,” said one scout. “He was really good last year, but his film this year was awful. The kid kind of totally tanked it. Came into this season overweight and played out of shape.”

Third-year junior with 33-inch arms.

“This year they played him a lot more in the slot, and coming across the middle he didn’t look that confident,” said a second scout. “Last year he attacked it better. He’s a little leggy. He’s not that twitchy, but he can still get some separation. The speed was the biggest issue with him, but he showed enough. His pro day was pretty damn good. If he can go into a place where he isn’t the guy, that would be perfect for him. He could grow into one.”

An exceptional basketball player, Bateman turned down chances to play for major-college programs out of high school in Tifton, Ga.

“He’s got a high drop rate,” said a third scout. “He’s not going to catch across the middle. He’s a man-beater underneath. You don’t see the top receiver traits in this guy.”

Finished with 147 receptions for 2,395 yards(16.3 average) and 19 touchdowns.

7. Rondale Moore, Purdue (5-foot-7, 181, 4.31, Round 2): Led FBS in receptions with 114 as a freshman before hamstring injuries cost him eight games in 2019 and three more in ’20.

“Very quick, very fast, very smart,” said one scout. “Graduated in 2½ years in business sales management. Very confident in his ability. Great on the board explaining their system. Has a history of hamstring (injuries). Whether that shows up at the next level, we’ll see.”

Terrific on pro day with a blistering 40, a 42½-inch vertical jump that led all receivers and a 3-cone of 6.67.

“He’s built so thick lower (body),” said another scout. “You think most small, fast guys are like sports cars that get dinged up all the time. Those guys are tightly wound and so narrow. This guy is built. (Durability) won’t be an issue.”

The New Albany, Ind., native finished with 178 receptions for 1,915 yards (10.8 average) and 14 touchdowns.

“He’s an explosive, fast, competitive guy that catches the ball really well,” said a third scout. “Would have liked to see him play more football. There will be a little hesitation to go there (first round). I see him more 30 to 40.”

8. Terrace Marshall Jr., LSU (6-foot-2½, 205, 4.40, Round 2): Third-year junior operated in the shadows of Ja’Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson before becoming the lead dog in 2020.

“He’s got a chance to be like a Brandon Marshall-type player,” one scout said. “He can get vertical. Big target. Needs to work on contested catches. He had a few drops this year but hasn’t had them in the past.”

Has undergone surgery on his leg and foot. Medical reports might play a major role in where he falls in the draft.

“The biggest issue I have with him is he’s not as competitive or fiery as Jefferson and Chase,” a second scout said. “He’s tall, and he can actually run routes and bend for a big guy. Really athletic, but he just drops the ball. He dropped the ball at his pro day.”

Third-year junior from Bossier City, La., posted an impressive vertical jump of 39 and 19 reps on the bench.

“He’s got size and he can run,” said a third scout. “He’s got a lot of potential to be a lot better. It’s hard to say he’s under the radar, but in terms of what he could be, you’d get a really good bargain in Day 2 or 3. He could be a good No. 3 (receiver) and could develop into a No. 1.”

Caught 106 passes for 1,594 yards (15.0 average) and 23 touchdowns.

9. Amari Rodgers, Clemson (5-foot-9½, 212, 4.51, Round 2 or 3): Compared by one scout to former Packer Randall Cobb.

“He’s that type of slot receiver,” he said. “Not great speed, but exceptional quickness. He’s tough and confident. He’s the son of a coach.”

That would be Tee Martin, the Stealers’ fifth-round pick in 1998 as a quarterback and now Ravens assistant coach who threw 16 passes in his brief NFL career. Rodgers made a startling recovery from ACL surgery in spring 2019, returning in time to play 14 of 15 games.

“This guy’s just as good as those Alabama guys,” said a second scout. “He’s built like a running back. Just a good football player. He separates easy at any level. He makes some big-time plays, then he’s got a lot of concentration drops. Plays faster than that (4.51).”

The Knoxville, Tenn., native started three of four seasons, finishing with 181 receptions for 2,144 yards (11.8 average) and 15 touchdowns.

“He reminded me of Christian Kirk,” a third scout said. “Really mature, really smart. He’s not going to be Tyreek Hill. He doesn’t have that type of athletic ability. He’s not freaky fast. Whatever he’s going to be, he’ll be that pretty early in his rookie year. I think it’s a good investment, especially at that position, because so many of them fail for reasons outside of (their) ability.”

10. D’Wayne Eskridge, Western Michigan (5-foot-9, 190, 4.39, Round 2 or 3): One of the leading prospects from the Mid-American Conference.

“There’s always a really good MAC player, and I think he’s one,” one scout said. “A couple years ago (2019), Pittsburgh got Diontae Johnson (Toledo) in the third round. Scotty Miller was one that got some buzz late (2019, sixth round). I think people respect the really good MAC players even though it’s not Power 5. Eskridge impressed me at the Senior Bowl. He has a skill set that says he will make it.”

Bounced between wide receiver and cornerback until 2020.

“He’s like a classic track guy playing receiver as far as the routes and the straight-line (speed) and doesn’t quite know what he’s doing,” said a second scout. “Not the track mentality of toughness. He shows that side of it. He’s a gunner, too, and he does that really well. He is sudden and fast in open space, but I just don’t think he really knows how to play football that well. He’s like a backup gadget-type player.”

The Bluffton, Ind., native finished with 122 receptions for 2,260 yards (18.5 average) and 15 touchdowns.

11. Dyami Brown, North Carolina (6-foot-0½, 189, 4.44, Round 2 or 3): Third-year junior.

“I thought he was just a speed guy who went deep, but he’s a hell of a lot better than that,” said one scout. “There’s a guy somebody could really hit on. He’s got really good hands. He’ll catch in the middle. He can go deep. He just kind of eases by you. He’s smooth as silk. He can make the hard-angle cuts.”

Started 30 of 34 games, posting back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons.

“He’s a vertical X deep receiver,” another scout said. “His route-running needs a lot of work.”

The Charlotte native finished his career with 123 receptions for 2,306 yards (18.7 average) and 21 touchdowns.

“Build-up speed in a straight line,” said a third scout. “He’s not quick off the ball. His hands are not good at all. Just not a natural football player. It’s not just running by people in the NFL.”

12. Nico Collins, Michigan (6-foot-4, 215, 4.45, Round 3): Biggest of the top 15 wideouts.

“He’s gone through a tremendous maturation process,” said one scout. “The product he is right now, he’s a pro. His commitment level is really strong. He’ll do all the things necessary to maximize who he is. He’s more like a third-round pick, but he can end up being a good No. 2 receiver.”

Failed to catch even 40 passes as a starter in 2018 and ’19 before opting out in 2020.

“He comes out and runs a 4.4, yet when he played, they passed the ball to No. 8 (Ronnie Bell) all the time,” said a second scout. “Bell looked like the best one by far, and they ran Collins on just some up-the-field routes. If he’s that good, why didn’t the coaches try to get the ball to him?”

The Birmingham, Ala., native finished with merely 78 receptions for 1,388 yards (17.8 average) and 13 touchdowns. Has the longest arms (34⅛ inches) among the wideouts.

“His Senior Bowl was average, but he looked pretty damn good at pro day,” said a third scout. “He has natural hands.”

13. Tylan Wallace, Oklahoma State (5-foot-11, 194, 4.49, Round 3): Appeared to be a sure-fire first-round draft choice after an 86-catch, 1,491-yard, 12-TD season in 2018. Then he blew out his ACL in November 2019, and it has been a struggle since.

“Watching him work out (at pro day), I’m concerned because he isn’t a dynamic athlete,” one scout said. “Nothing he did wrong. There just wasn’t a lot of juice. Fourth round.”

Bounced back in time to play 10 games in 2020 but missed a game late after spraining the same right knee.

“He knows how to play,” said a second scout. “He has good feel. He just doesn’t have a lot of quickness or burst. He’s one of those guys, he can really make plays in a crowd, but he’s always in a crowd. That’s his problem. He just cannot separate from people. His physical gifts are not there.”

The Fort Worth, Texas, native finished with 205 receptions for 3,434 yards (16.8 average) and 26 touchdowns.

14. Amon-Ra St. Brown, USC (5-foot-11½, 197, 4.60, Round 3 or 4): Declared a year early after starting 23 of 31 games in three seasons.

“Pro’s pro, A-plus intangibles,” said one scout. “He can play the slot. Helps you as a punt returner. Third round.”

Intelligent kid who led the position on the bench press with 20 reps.

“I like how physical he is, how smart he is,” said a second scout. “He’s going to get open. He’s just going to be a very steady, dependable guy.”

Anaheim Hills, Calif., native finished his career with 178 receptions for 2,270 yards (12.8 average) and 16 touchdowns. His 40 time was disappointing.

“His speed didn’t surprise me at all,” a third scout said. “That’s the way he plays. Like there’s nothing there. Average at everything. He’s just a guy.”

Other top receivers: Tutu Atwell, Louisville; Anthony Schwartz, Auburn; Marquez Stevenson, Houston; Simi Fehoko, Stanford; Seth Williams, Auburn; Frank Darby, Arizona State; Trevon Grimes, Florida; Josh Palmer, Tennessee; Dez Fitzpatrick, Louisville; Jacob Harris, Central Florida; Tamorrion Terry, Florida State; Jaelon Darden, North Texas; Dazz Newsome, North Carolina; Cornell Powell, Clemson; Cedric Johnson, South Dakota State; Demetric Felton, UCLA.

Ranking the tight ends

1. Kyle Pitts, Florida (6-foot-5½, 245, 4.43, Round 1): Backed up in 2018, catching three passes in 11 games. Had a strong sophomore season and a 12-touchdown junior year in eight games.

“I don’t need to see the workout — this is the best player in the draft,” said one 20-year scouting veteran. “He’s the most gifted tight end I’ve scouted. (Travis) Kelce and others have developed into really good players, but just as far as coming out, you have to back to Vernon Davis (in 2006). He was more of a big, fast, straight-line guy. Stiff. Or Kellen Winslow II. This guy is much more talented than those guys.

“Playmaker, catches the ball over people and he’ll give effort as a blocker. You don’t want him doing that, but he tries to get on people. He’ll fight you.”

Another scout said Pitts was the best blocking tight end in the draft.

“In ’19, he blocked like crap,” a third scout said. “This year, he defied all the odds, gained some weight and blocked his ass off. Low-maintenance, loves football. I think he had zero drops this year. More fluid than Vernon Davis.”

The Philadelphia native finished with 100 receptions for 1,492 yards (14.9 average) and 19 touchdowns.

“He’s a very talented guy, but it’s not like we’ve never seen this guy before,” said a fourth scout. “Greg Olsen ran 4.44 at 6-foot-5, 250-plus and he’ll be a Hall of Famer. Jimmy Graham. We’ve seen that blend of freakish athlete at tight end. A lot of them have been outside the first round. Look at George Kittle. ‘Gronk’ (Rob Gronkowski). Kelce. (Darren) Waller. (Zach) Ertz. Even Jared Cook, Jordan Cameron, Julius Thomas had nice Pro Bowl-level stretches and mismatch speed/athleticism as Day 3 picks.”

2. Pat Freiermuth, Penn State (6-foot-5, 251, no 40, Round 2): Declared a year early after his third season was ended after four games by a shoulder injury.

“He’s a willing blocker, but he doesn’t really get it done,” said one scout. “He’s a get-in-the-way, tie-you-up blocker. Really good route runner with natural hands. He’s got no twitch, though. He just uses that size to win the matchups.”

Caught 92 passes for 1,185 yards (12.9 average) and 16 touchdowns.

“He is a conventional tight end,” a second scout said. “Not many people want a conventional tight end. He can catch the ball and has good enough speed. He’ll get open.”

His speed remains a mystery after he chose to do position drills at his pro day but none of the physical tests.

“Probably didn’t run because he’s not fast,” a third scout said.

Hails from an athletic family in Merrimac, Mass.

“He’d fall between Heath Miller and the kid who got drafted by the Bengals (in 2019), Drew Sample,” said a fourth scout. “He’ll be a starter. He’ll be a good, solid player. I don’t know if he’ll ever go to a Pro Bowl. There’s no wow to Freiermuth.”

3. Tommy Tremble, Notre Dame (6-foot-3½, 241, 4.65, Round 3): Redshirted in 2018, mostly started in 2019 and ’20 then bypassed his final two seasons of eligibility.

“They threw the ball to the freshman (Michael Mayer) they think will be the next (Rob) Gronkowski,” said one scout. “I think that’s why he came out. I don’t think they used Tremble as much as they should have.”

The John Creek, Ga., native caught 35 passes for 401 yards (11.5 average) and four TDs.

“He’s a feisty blocker,” said another scout. “High effort. He has that sneaky power to him. He’s had limited production, but that’s not on his end. His hands were all right. You’re betting on the come with his route running and that the athlete will take over. He looked real good running routes at (his) pro day.”

His father, Greg, played 11 games as a safety for the Eagles and Cowboys in 1995. Tommy Tremble also has played fullback, a la Josiah Deguara, the Packers’ third-round draft choice last year.

“Tremble has much more strength and physicality (than Deguara) as a blocker,” said a third scout. “He’s faster. Deguara is a little bit more fluid as an athlete and was a more reliable receiver.”

4. Brevin Jordan, Miami (6-foot-2½, 247, 4.66, Round 3 or 4): Third-year junior, three-year starter.

“If Pitts wasn’t in the draft, Jordan would be the most talented, athletic-type guy,” said one scout. “He can be that move-around guy. He’d never have to leave the field. He tries, too, as a blocker. He works at it. He’s very intriguing.”

The Las Vegas native caught 105 passes for 1,358 yards (12.9 average) and 13 touchdowns. Missed games each season with assorted injuries.

“There’s an incredible upside on his long-term playing career,” said a second scout. “He’s just starting to grow into the position.”

Disappointing 40 reduced his chances for a Day 2 selection.

“He ran OK,” said a third scout. “He’s not running away from the Fred Warners, the Darius Leonards. Good little college player. I just think you’ve got to manufacture that guy getting open.”

5. Hunter Long, Boston College (6-foot-5, 254, 4.71, Round 4): Paced FBS tight ends in 2020 with 57 receptions.

“More of a ‘Y’ who can do the ‘F’ role,” said one scout. “In-line, he’d be a good receiver. The guy can win in the seam. He’ll have a hard time beating the better ’backers in man coverage. He can push to be a starter in ‘12’ personnel in his first year. You’re getting a good, well-rounded, No. 2 tight end.”

Said a second scout: “He’s a lot like Freiermuth. Just a slight step down. He’s a ‘Y’ tight end that’s good at everything. Those guys are hard to find.”

Long hails from Exeter, N.H.

“Just a paint-by-numbers route runner,” a third scout said. “Run out, turnaround-type guy.”

6. Tre’ McKitty, Georgia (6-foot-4, 243, 4.71, Round 4 or 5): Had the biggest hands (10¾) and the most reps on the bench press (23) among the tight ends.

“He’s a little bit of a project who has a lot of upside,” said one scout. “He’s not a freakish athlete, but you see enough traits in there. Nice (catching) radius, big hands. He competed as a blocker.”

The Wesley Chapel, Fla., native spent three seasons at Florida State, starting 19 of 24 games in 2018 and ’19 before transferring. Had just six catches for the Bulldogs, giving him 56 in all for 628 yards (11.2 average) and three touchdowns.

“He wasn’t used well enough at Georgia,” a second scout said. “Athletically, it looks like he belongs. He’s going to need some work. He’s more of a receiving tight end than an in-line blocker.”

Other top tight ends: Kenny Yeboah, Mississippi; Noah Gray, Duke; Quintin Morris, Bowling Green; Luke Farrell, Ohio State; John Bates, Boise State; Nick Eubanks, Michigan; Zach Davidson, Central Missouri State; Kylen Granson, Southern Methodist; Shaun Beyer, Iowa; Pro Wells, Texas Christian; Tony Poljan, Virginia; Matt Bushman, Brigham Young; Jack Stoll, Nebraska; Briley Moore, Kansas State.

The Skinny

Unsung hero

Luke Farrell, TE, Ohio State: Three-year starter on excellent teams in which the tight end wasn’t much of the passing game. Had just 12 receptions in his final two seasons despite starting 22 games. Enhanced his chances for a late-round selection with a functional 40 (4.81) and solid jumps.

“He’s a pro in every way,” said one scout. “He’s not a throwaway athlete as a ‘Y.’”

Scouts’ nightmare

Tamorrion Terry, WR, Florida State: As Day 3 of the draft moves along, decision-makers will gaze at Terry’s card and his height, weight and speed (6-foot-2½, 207, 4.44) and wonder if he’s worth a shot. Terry had a 1,000-yard season in 2019 after hauling in a host of long bombs. Still, there are distinct questions regarding his ability to handle an NFL system and run an advanced route tree.

Scout to remember

Tom Modrak: A Pittsburgh native, Modrak spent almost 40 years as an NFL personnel man. After 20 seasons with the Stealers, he moved on to become general manager of the Eagles. Within three years, he lost his job in a power grab by coach Andy Reid, then moved on to serve as the Bills’ vice president of college scouting from 2001-11. Modrak was executive director of the BLESTO scouting combine in 2017 when he died of a rare neurological disorder. He was 74. His friendliness was renowned in scouting circles.

Quote to note

AFC scout: “None of these guys really block. The blocking tight end, that day has died. Today, it’s get in the way. They’re not blocking any defensive linemen. They’re just getting in the way.”

12 minutes ago, membengal said:

Lol. Off of that you come to that conclusion? Hilarious. 

I came to a conclusion long ago..

I wanted the team to draft Sewell...

I still do..

He may not be generational as 

6 minutes ago, membengal said:

Good stuff tks..

2 hours ago, membengal said:

Need to draft Sewell so Burrow's knees are never in danger again. Or...maybe it isn't that simple and there are no guarantees of safety?

Man that was a gawd-awful rep. Looked like Bobby Hart out there on that one. 

11 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Man that was a gawd-awful rep. Looked like Bobby Hart out there on that one. 

Def not a great rep.

Sewell is awesome, but the narrative that if we take him Burrow is safe and if we pass on him Burrow is dead is so much bullshit. Sewell has work to do. If we take him, I want him at RG this year learning from Reiff. Given his youth and relative inexperience, that is I think best for his development and best for the team. 

2 hours ago, membengal said:

Pretty much. Also puts a lie to they draft Sewell or Burrow's knees get it.  I mean, they can draft Sewell and Burrow's knees may still get it. He's got his flaws. 

We have two 1st round tackles in place. If they take Sewell and he is at RG this year, great by me. But there has been this dishonest as fuck discourse from the pro-Sewell crowd that says if they draft Chase that Burrow is being neglected. It's pure bullshit. 

Jeez, dude...back away from the keyboard.  They're only opinions.

40 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Jeez, dude...back away from the keyboard.  They're only opinions.

He reacts almost as strongly as T-Dub if you say we are set at LT with Jonah Williams. The fact that he found a post from some dude named Anthony Cosenza to reference showing Sewell making a bad play is as bad as posting a video of Ja'Marr Chase dropping a pass and saying he's got flaws. We get it. You want a Chase jersey. Please be next Thursday already.

On 4/16/2021 at 4:11 PM, spicoli said:

I have no doubt they will fuck this up and draft Chase, as we watch year after year other prospects being at the same level as him. After all, it's what they do...it's their history. These dumb sonofabitches could fuck up a wet dream, and they have proven it time and again, year after year. It's why the are who they are as an organization. But their fanboys will love them for it, no matter what!

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

If Chase continues to have chemistry with Burrow the way he did in 2019 it will be the right pick. 

Jason, this team is never going to evolve into a playoff team that way...come on, wake up! You said that would happen by drafting AJ Green, and while he was a good pick, he really never made that difference, did he? Wide receivers come and go. They're getting better every year, yet despite that within each year's crop we hear this will be the one guy who is that extra special one. Yet it never happens...never, ever happens. You build strong playoff franchises the same way you build a quality house...with good, solid foundations.

Bruce Feldman's annual coaches/scout confidential quotes/assessments of top prospects column at The Athletic just dropped. It is long and I am gonna skip the parts on QBs and LBers but will paste the TE/WR section, the very short o-line notes (just Sewell and Slater commented on) and the fairly short d-line comments:

NFL Draft confidential: 'People say he's not athletic.' Coaches discuss Mac Jones' rise, Justin Fields shade, and sleepers galore – The Athletic

Is Kyle Pitts the biggest no-brainer in the draft?

QB Coach No. 1: Pitts is a unicorn. It’s rare to get a guy that freaky that size that didn’t flip to defensive end. It’s easier to rush the quarterback than play tight end. He’s (Raiders tight end) Darren Waller but a little more natural. He’s got great hand-eye coordination; great length. He didn’t have a drop last year. Only four of his catches didn’t go for a touchdown or first down. What I really love is he didn’t have to play last year and he still would be a top-10 pick, and that they’re down 20 vs Bama, and he’s playing his ass off, trying to get them back into it, and he does. That stuff spoke a lot.

QB Coach No. 2: Aw, man, he is special. He has good character; he’s a tough kid. Everything he did at pro day, it was like, ‘Good God!’ That guy changes the game for your offense with how people have to play you. …This guy is more athletic and faster than (Travis) Kelce. This guy comes into the league and he’s gonna be way better than anybody else.

WR Coach No. 3: He’s ridiculous, man. Holy crap. To be that big and that fast and that skilled — wow.

Ja’Marr Chase is best in a top-heavy receiver class and would’ve gone first among WRs last year if he declared, too, per sources.

QB Coach 1: I think it’s not close among these receivers. Chase is way better than the rest of them, and it’s a good class. He’s like a much faster Anquan Boldin.

WR Coach No. 1: He plays much bigger than he is. I don’t know if it’s a knock, but I’m not sure his ball skills are elite, but he has so many other elite traits.

He’s a grown man with the ball in his hands. He runs some out routes so smooth. He matches his lower body with his upper body, and that takes a long time. He’s really able to drop his hips. I love DeVonta Smith, but he’s 31 pounds lighter than Chase.

WR Coach No. 2: Ja’Marr is super competitive and is so much stronger, so much more physical than the other top guys in this group. His pro day sealed it for me. I didn’t think he would run as fast as he did, but he was so smooth. He maximized that time off; a lot of these guys that opted out didn’t. But he’s definitely not a finished product. He doesn’t do a great job getting off press. He was playing X a lot. In this league, he ain’t gonna be able to muscle all these guys around like he did a lot of guys in the SEC.

DeVonta Smith is 170 pounds: Do you see Marvin Harrison? How does Jaylen Waddle hold up with the top of the receiving corps?

WR Coach No. 1: DeVonta has unbelievable hand-eye coordination and body control with elite ball skills. It’s so natural. He’s instinctual as ****. He feels it and he knows where the spots are. He’s gonna be a good player and be solid and will play every position. He studies; he loves it. I am concerned about him only being 170 pounds, though. It’s the world we live in, man. Big guys beat up little guys. When you take a shot from the side from these monsters, that’s when you get AC issues and collarbone issues. He’s tough as ****. He will bite your face off. He’s gonna try. He won’t back down, but is he gonna win the battle?

Waddle is a game-changer. He’s way rawer than DeVonta. He’s absolutely explosive and elite with the ball in his hands.

WR Coach No. 4: DeVonta’s faster than you think and he’s quicker than you think and he can really catch. With smaller guys you worry about how they’ll adjust to guys getting pushed off their spot and can they make a tough grab. If they do, then it lightens your concern about their size. He’s learned a lot of concepts because they’ve taught him a lot. He’s the best route runner in the draft. Sark had those guys running pro stuff.

Waddle has similar burst to Tyreek Hill. He has that same type of explosion and movement.

WR Coach No. 3: I love Smith, but he is so skinny — if you can get past the skinny, he’s a legit No. 1 receiver. This kid … whatever he wants to do, he does. They had him jump in at cornerback and they said he knew the defense as good as anybody on the team.

I think Waddle is a faster version of Peter Warrick. He is so dynamic with the ball in his hands and is such a dangerous returner. I think he could be Devin Hester as a return guy. But he’s a better receiver than Hester. He was awesome in his interview. He really has an infectious personality.

WR Coach No. 2: Waddle is different now. He’s like Tyreek Hill in a lot of ways. He’s so fast — he’s different fast. Henry Ruggs is really fast, but he was more of a straight-line guy. I think (Waddle) could play really any spot; he can play X, Z, slot, in the backfield.”

Who rates, and who doesn’t, among the remaining wideouts

MINNESOTA’S RASHOD BATEMAN

WR Coach No. 1: He’s right there as a pure route runner with DeVonta. He’s smooth. I just wish he ran a little faster.

WR Coach No. 2: He looked like a different guy this year. The ’19 Bateman was a lot better than the ’20 Bateman. He had concentration lapses. His routes were crisper in 2019; maybe some of that had to do with the new offense; he just wasn’t as polished.

WR Coach No. 3: The 2020 tape doesn’t wow you, but with the 2019 tape, you see something else. Which one are you getting? I think he’s the biggest wild card in this group.

LSU’S TERRACE MARSHALL

WR Coach No. 2: You see him on film split guys at Mizzou and at Mississippi. State. He was also a lot thicker than I thought he’d be at pro day. He can bend; catch low balls and stay in stride. He made those young quarterbacks look a little better last year.

FLORIDA’S KADARIUS TONEY

WR Coach No. 1: They tell you his ball skills are phenomenal. I don’t know what to believe on that one. Are they good enough? Yes. I don’t know if he’s an every-down player. I worry about his whole focus. He will be on “SportsCenter” and the whole deal, and then it’ll be, “Where did he go?”

WR Coach No. 3: I liked his personality. He’s got a little Marshawn Lynch quality where he knows who he is and he’s not gonna fake it. He’s talented but really is a one-year guy.

PURDUE’S RONDALE MOORE

WR Coach No. 1: I liked him a lot when he was young at Purdue in his first year. He’s game-changing fast, but his ball skills are fine, not great. He will struggle against a guy covering him, but his play speed is elite.

WR Coach No. 3: He’s super short. Slot only, but he is so dynamic. He’s been hurt for two years in a row; can he handle 16 (now 17) games plus preseason? He’s smart with a businesslike approach, but you worry about the durability issues. Got a chance to be a steal if you can keep healthy.

OLE MISS’ ELIJAH MOORE

WR Coach No. 1: I liked him. He can do a lot of stuff. Is a good kid, tough. They really had no route tree there and were just going as fast as they can. He was impressive in interviews; really candid. Was mature.

AUBURN’S SETH WILLIAMS

WR Coach No. 3: There’s no doubt he’s talented, but there’s something missing there.

WR Coach No. 5: He probably should be a first-round talent, but he’s so inconsistent. Has bad body language. When it’s going good, he’s making plays all over the place, but when it’s going bad, he won’t block; he gets just really casual. He will make some great catches but will drop some easy ones. And he played in an offense where it was just gos, hitches and slants, and that’s it.

WR Coach No. 2: That system doesn’t help him. When he played (South Carolina) JayCee Horn gave it to him, but I kinda like him. His change of direction tests weren’t good, and that shows up on film and that makes some people leery, but with the contested balls he’s a lot like Mike Williams, and he is good after the catch.

UNC’S DYAMI BROWN

WR Coach No. 1: He’s got a long way to go. That offense that he played in is so different. I do think he can do it and make up for it, but it’s gonna take him some time. I also think he’s big enough to help you on special teams.

WR Coach No. 3: He has inconsistent hands; but catches more deep balls than anybody. He gets on top of guys. He eats their cushion fast; he’s got subtleness to his routes. Everybody knows he’s going deep and he still gets by guys. I was hoping he’d be a little bigger.

MICHIGAN’S NICO COLLINS

WR Coach No. 2: His pro-day tests have me messed up because I didn’t not like his film. His pro day was good (clocking a 4.42 40 with a 37.5-inch vertical at 6 feet 4, 215 pounds). He doesn’t look or play explosive like that. It’s hard to find big men that move like that.

WR Coach No. 3: He’s a freak but not consistent. There ain’t many big guys this year. If you need a big X, he’s gotta be in your talk; the big thing with him is he’s got to clean up his routes and sink his hips and be under control at the top of his routes. But you keep in mind that he didn’t play with a good quarterback. I don’t see him making it out of the second round.

CLEMSON’S AMARI ROGERS

WR Coach No. 2: I think he can actually play in the backfield. He has legit size. He’s a lot like (Saints running back) Ty Montgomery. He’s a north-south runner; very little wasted motion; I think his skills translate to the NFL game well.

WR Coach No. 3: He was outstanding in our interview. He’s a coach’s kid so you’d expect him to do well, but he was off the charts.

TENNESSEE’S JOSH PALMER

WR Coach No. 1: He’s a big receiver who is starting to figure out how to use his body. He has pretty good awareness. He can feel where the DB is on him. He has the right makeup. He stayed in there and played through what was a pretty toxic situation and with really shaky quarterback play.

WR Coach No. 3: He’s just a good player. You see him run a lot of the routes you’d see him run on Sunday, but he wasn’t really a dynamic workout guy. I think coaches probably like him more than personnel guys probably do. He’s beating press coverage and he does little things in his routes well that you notice; strong hands; high-points the ball. There’s a lot of stuff that you don’t have to teach because he already does it.

WR Coach No. 2: He gave it to (Alabama’s Patrick) Surtain. I think he’s gonna be a better pro than he was in college. He played in a program that was really hurting at quarterback. He doesn’t wow you with anything, but he’s just really good at everything.

THE BEST OF THE REST

Scout No. 1 on Oregon OL Penei Sewell: I think (Giants No. 4 overall pick in 2020) Andrew Thomas was better; Jedrick Wills (No. 10 to the Browns in 2020) was too. Sewell does not have great length. He can play everywhere but center and might be able to do that too. I think he can be an elite guard, not a great tackle.

Scout No. 2 on Northwestern OL Rashawn Slater: He has terrific feet. He’s good with his hands. I think he’s the most technically sound of the O-linemen. He doesn’t have the same physicality of Sewell, but I think he’s probably a safer pick and is more polished at this point.

MIAMI EDGE RUSHER JAELAN PHILLIPS

Defensive Coach No. 1: He reminds me a lot of Bradley Chubb. He doesn’t play the run as good as Chubb but rushes the passer as well. Phillips is a freaky athlete and I think he could be 280 tomorrow. Did well in his interviews. He was not bashful; I thought he was mature; sounded like he’s figured it out. He didn’t shy away from the questions people have about him. He attacked it all head-on.

PENN STATE EDGE RUSHER JAYSON OWEH

Defensive Coach No. 1: You just don’t find defensive ends who can run a 4.35. He is such a freak athlete. I know he didn’t have any sacks last year, but he was still really disruptive. He does things that don’t show up on the stat sheet. You watch their Indiana game, and he hit the quarterback like 10 times. He’s not soft. I think he’s way better than Yetur Gross-Matos (who went to Carolina at No. 38 last year). He’s got a way higher ceiling.

Defensive Coach No. 2: I was at the pro day. He is a freak. The measurables are so good. His get-off is so good, and he is so fast going straight ahead. He’s a tough eval, but when you watched him do the linebacker drills, he was really stiff. I think he’s a 4-3 end; I didn’t think he could be a 3-4 outside linebacker. I don’t think he’s flexible. He is very tight-hipped. …He could become a 15-sack guy or he could just as easily be out of the league in three years.

GEORGIA EDGE RUSHER AZEEZ OJULARI

Defensive Coach No. 3: He’s gonna be a good player. He’s long, rangy, athletic, but kinda raw. He’s a good all-around player; but not a freak pass rusher or special athlete in coverage. To me, he’s a pro-style 3-4 outside linebacker.

Scout No. 2: He’s got some moves and he’s been well-coached. I think he’s a little stiff. He doesn’t have the upside of Phillips.

MIAMI DL GREG ROUSSEAU

Defensive Coach No. 1: He has a lot further way to go than Phillips. This kid is really raw. But he’s so long, and you just can’t find those guys with his kind of length and frame, and he ran mid-4.6s at his pro day, which was really impressive. He is like (Ravens defensive end) Calais Campbell. In a couple years, he could be really special.

Scout No. 2: They moved him around in 2019 and he made a lot of plays. He plays too high and you know how raw he is, but everyone there raves about the kid.

MICHIGAN EDGE RUSHER KWITY PAYE

Defensive Coach No. 1: He’s a very good athlete, but I thought he plays kinda small; not physical.

Scout No. 2: Paye is very explosive and has crazy workout numbers, but he’s still pretty raw and figuring things out.

ALABAMA DEFENSIVE TACKLE CHRISTIAN BARMORE

Scout No. 1: He’s a little stiff. He’s not another Quinnen Williams, but he can be disruptive and he has some upside. He will get over-drafted because it’s such a bad year for interior linemen.

1 hour ago, bengaled said:

Jason, this team is never going to evolve into a playoff team that way...come on, wake up! You said that would happen by drafting AJ Green, and while he was a good pick, he really never made that difference, did he? Wide receivers come and go. They're getting better every year, yet despite that within each year's crop we hear this will be the one guy who is that extra special one. Yet it never happens...never, ever happens.

Andy Dalton was never the QB Joe Burrow will be.  And we don't have to draft OL at 5 to fix it.  This is a deep OL draft.  Surround Burrow with the best talent you can.  Andy Dalton had a great OL in 2015 and he still got hurt.  Same with Carson in 2005.

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Andy Dalton was never the QB Joe Burrow will be.  And we don't have to draft OL at 5 to fix it.  This is a deep OL draft.  Surround Burrow with the best talent you can.  Andy Dalton had a great OL in 2015 and he still got hurt.  Same with Carson in 2005.

I don't remember Dalton getting buried as much as Burrow did last season.  There are never guarantees, but the line last year was BAD.  Williams is still a huge question mark as a player and as a guy who can stay in the lineup.  2nd and 3rd round OL are not 1st round OL.  Some of the scouting reports posted here about 2nd round tackles are scary.  The basically say they aren't ready.  The Bengals don't have the luxury of a year or two to get a guy ready to play.  They need another player NOW.  If the Bengals have the choice between a generational OT and a generational WR the decision should be easy.  OT. 

It's not just about Burrow getting hurt.  It's about Mixon having the ability to run and Burrow getting more time so he can throw a deep ball not under pressure.  A stud WR would be nice.   A stud OT is needed.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

We hope.  I think the potential is certainly there but it doesn't happen with him on IR.

Lol..

Listen Ole Joe ( and he will be if they cant protect him well enough) will have 2nd thoughts on then drafting a receiver when hes on the ground again and again and on and on ...

Hes be thinking "Lord I need more protection!"...

But he'll connect with Chase while hes 

...healthy enough to do so...

Archived