2021 Mock Draft Simulators

28 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

...You actually expect Chase to be a better separator and better at getting open than AJ Green?...

I think Sewell would be a better separator and be better at getting open than 2020 AJ Green.

1/2 :ninja: 

Just now, spicoli said:

I actually don't believe they're done adding FA's and I'm gonna say they'll likely be bringing in another vet on the OL sometime soon after the draft. 

I would agree but it does sort of prove the point of this team always waiting for moves by other teams and not going out and just f*cking doing it themselves. If no other good OL are let go then we sign scraps again and say oh well, we tried. 

Just now, HavePityPlease said:

Are you ok man?  You seem really upset about all this...

I'm not being serious dude, I'm just giving ya a hard time.

My thing is, I absolutely believe 100% that Chase is the pick so I'm not gonna waste time and energy worrying about the OL until they get on the clock in R2. 

Bob McGinn on the RB's:

Ranking the running backs

1. Najee Harris, Alabama (6-foot-1 ½, 235 pounds, no 40 time, Projected round: 1-2): Fifth in Heisman Trophy voting in 2020.

“He may be the best back I’ve seen come out of there (Alabama),” one scout said. “He’s way better than (Josh) Jacobs. He’s bigger, stronger. This guy is better than Derrick Henry when he came out, and he’s a star. Watch him catching passes. He looks like a receiver. If I had to pick one guy to star (in this draft), he might be it. He’s the epitome of what you want.”

“I love this kid,” said the scout. “For the first Alabama (pro day), he was in Dallas but something happened with the plane. He drove from Dallas to Alabama overnight to be with his teammates on pro day. He wasn’t working out, but he wanted to be there for his teammates.”

Led the FBS in yards from scrimmage (1,891) and rushing touchdowns (26) in 2020. Finished with 638 carries for 3,843 yards (6.0) and 46 TDs plus 80 receptions. “Don’t let that Alabama stuff fool you,” said a second scout. “Best offensive line. Weakest boxes because they got wideouts everywhere. They don’t run into a loaded box like a lot of these backs have to. I wouldn’t take him in the first (round).”

Harris’ hands (10 ¼ inches) were the largest of the running backs.

“He was the No. 1 recruit in America,” a third scout said. “He got to Alabama and looked like an NFL running back his first week of practice. His best attribute might be catching the ball out in space, and nobody can get him on the ground one-on-one. He’s a 230-pound, skilled big man.”

“He does have a little bit of ‘I’m more important,’ and that could hold him back a little bit,” said a fourth scout. “You need to stroke him a little bit. He doesn’t seem interested in pass (protection). He’s going to have to learn how to do it. But he’s got exceptional hands coming out of the backfield, and he can move in space for a big man.”

2. Travis Etienne, Clemson (5-foot-10, 215 pounds, 4.44 in the 40, Round 1-2): Was seventh in the Heisman Trophy voting as a sophomore in 2018 and ninth in 2019.

“These days, people don’t want to take running backs in the first round,” one scout said. “But, man, I would consider him there because he is just so explosive. People will be enamored with his home-run ability and the change of pace. He can press the defense, stick his foot in the ground and haul ass.”

Was Clemson’s last commitment in the 2017 class out of Jennings, La. “Kind-hearted, quiet, low-key guy,” a second scout said. “Has some ‘aw shucks,’ naïve innocence to him. Doesn’t want the limelight or to step on anyone’s toes. Can be too passive. Coachable. Loves football.”

Didn’t start a game as a freshman but still led the Tigers in rushing before starting the past three seasons. Finished with 686 carries for 4,952 yards (7.2) and 70 TDs plus 102 receptions. “He’s more like an in-line, hard-charging type guy,” a third scout said. “I don’t think he’s a natural. This guy is, ‘Here’s the hole. Let me hit it as hard as possible.’ He’s not that nifty. He does have burst. His hands are OK. He’d be a nice rotational starter.”

Led the top 12 backs in the 40 and the broad jump (10 feet, 8 inches). “I’m not a fan,” said a fourth scout. “Product of the system. Everything is opened up for him.”

Neither Etienne nor any of the other top running backs have been marked by teams as a significant medical risk. “He benefits from big-ass holes,” said a fifth scout. “They use him well in the passing game. His feet and body control, he’s kind of all over the place. He doesn’t play big.”

3. Javonte Williams, North Carolina (5-foot-9½, 212 pounds, 4.56 in the 40, Round 2): Has a chance to surpass Willie Parker, Natrone Means and Giovani Bernard as the Tar Heels’ most successful pro running backs.

“He’s a ground pounder,” said one scout. “He’s going to get you 4 to 6 yards every time because he breaks tackles. People bounce off him. He’s a short, thick-hipped, thick-legged kid. He’s got surprising speed. He can get to the corner, but you have to knock ’em all down for him to turn it.”

Third-year junior with 366 carries for 2,297 yards (6.3) and 29 TDs plus 50 receptions. “He led the NCAA in broken tackles running between the tackles last year,” said a second scout. “That’s like Nick Chubb stuff. He is really assertive running in between the tackles.”

From Wallace, N.C. “He might be a No. 3 (back) his first year, but he’s getting carries,” a third scout said. “This kid is better than (Detroit’s) Jamaal Williams. He reminds me of Mike Davis as a runner. At some point this guy is a starter. I don’t see him playing on third downs.”

4. Michael Carter, North Carolina (5-foot-8, 201 pounds, 4.53 in the 40, Round: 2-3): Started for three years but split touches and playing time with Williams.

“He’s going to be Ray Rice,” said one scout. “Tough as nails. He’s a starter. He can play a little bit of slot receiver, too.”

Overcame a major knee injury as a junior in high school. “He can run inside,” said a second scout. “He can turn the corner and take it down the sideline. But I wouldn’t take him until the fourth. At (5-foot-7 and 7/8), you’re not pass-blocking anybody. They’ll take you and throw you into the quarterback. That’s just a fact of life.”

Carried 514 times for 3,404 yards (6.6) and 22 TDs while catching 82 passes. “He’s a complete player,” said a fourth scout. “He wins because he has really good vision and footwork. Really good athlete.”

From Navarre, Fla. “He’s just a system-type path runner,” a fourth scout said. “Average size, average speed. Kind of gets what’s blocked. They used him as a receiver a lot, but I don’t think he has natural hands. He didn’t fire me up.”

5. Trey Sermon, Ohio State (6-foot-0 ½, 215 pounds, 4.60 in the 40, Round 3-4): Graduated from Oklahoma in three years before joining the Buckeyes for a final season.

“He’s a tough guy,” said one scout. “Breaks a lot of tackles. For a big guy he’s got some niftiness. Not really elusive. Not a second-level, take-the-top-off player. He stiff-arms people really well. Grind-it-out type.”

Started 19 of 37 games for the Sooners from 2017-19. In Columbus, he played behind Master Teague for four games before breaking loose. Broke Eddie George’s single-game rushing record with 331 yards against Northwestern in the Big Ten title game. “He essentially lost his job at Oklahoma and didn’t get the job at Ohio State until another guy (Teague) got hurt,” said a second scout. “Yes, he made the most of it, but I just don’t think he’s special. I called him a bully back. He puts the shoulder down and looks violent at the second and third level. He’s not soft through the line of scrimmage but he’s not a move-the-pile guy. Below average in the passing game.”

Finished with 455 carries for 2,946 yards (6.5) and 26 TDs plus 48 receptions. From Marietta, Ga.

6. Kenneth Gainwell, Memphis (5-foot-8½, 201 pounds, 4.47 in the 40, Round 3-4): Redshirted in 2018 after playing minimally in four games. Exploded for 2,069 yards from scrimmage in ’19 and opted out of ’20 after four members of his family died from COVID-19 issues.

“He’s like the kid Dallas took in the fourth round two years ago — (Tony Pollard),” one scout said. “I thought he was better than Tony Pollard.” Renounced his final two seasons of eligibility. “After Etienne he’s probably the best receiver,” said a second scout. “He’s a lot like Alvin Kamara. Only this guy’s faster. More of a straight-line runner.”

Played quarterback in high school at Yazoo City, Miss. “At worst, he could give you something as a backup runner and on third down,” said a third scout. “He’s slippery. He’s one of those guys who could end up being a really good pro. He’ll go in the third or fourth and end up becoming a starter.”

Played just 18 games. Finished with 235 carries for 1,550 yards (6.6) and 14 TDs plus 57 receptions. “I didn’t see a guy that could really bust and run through contact, which you’ve got to be able to do unless you can manufacture space for him,” a fourth scout said.

7. Chuba Hubbard, Oklahoma State (6-foot-0, 210 pounds, 4.50 in the 30, Round 4): Performed like a potential first-round pick in 2019 with 2,094 yards on the ground. Was limited to 625 yards in seven games last season before sitting out the last four games with an ankle injury.

“He didn’t have a very good season this year,” said one scout. “He’s quick and has big-play ability, but he’s not very physical. I didn’t think he was tough.”

Averaged 6.4 yards in 2019 and just 4.7 in 2020. “He’s a timid guy,” a second scout said. “I don’t think he has great feel. Just one speed. Not much balance. Not that impressive.”

Finished with 585 carries for 3,459 yards (5.9) and 33 TDs plus 53 receptions. “He doesn’t finish his runs strong,” said a third scout. “Inconsistent pass (protection). He just has enough foot quickness. He doesn’t have long speed. He can’t create. He’s too inconsistent.” From Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada.

8. Larry Rountree, Missouri (5-foot-10 ½, 213 pounds, 4.69 in the 40, Round 4-5): Gained 703 yards as a freshman backup before leading the Tigers in rushing as the starter the past three years.

“He runs every play like it will be the last time he’ll ever touch the football,” one scout said. “He’s violent. I loved the kid. His passion, his drive, his maturity. If he can get it, and that’s for coaches to say, he’s talented enough as a player.”

More than one team expressed reservations about his ability to master an NFL offense. Otherwise, he was highly productive. Carried 746 times for 3,720 yards (5.0) and 40 TDs and had 47 receptions. “He’s one of the better backs but he’s not being talked about,” a second scout said.

Did himself no favors by running a slow 40. “He doesn’t have top-end speed,” a third scout said. “He’s got feet and balance. He’s really good in pass (protection) and blitz pickup. He attacks guys. Knocks ’em on their ass. Likes to play in close games. I just like everything about him.” From Raleigh, N.C.

9. Khalil Herbert, Virginia Tech (5-foot-9, 207 pounds, 4.49 in the 40, Round 4-5): Started 13 of 33 games from 2016-19 at Kansas before deciding to redshirt four games into the 2019 season. Had his best season as a grad transfer for the Hokies in ’20.

“He’s just solid at everything,” one scout said. “Nothing stands out. He’ll be a good pro. Not your first guy but could be a solid second. Ideally, to me, he’s a third.” Averaged 7.7 yards on 154 carries in 2020, gaining 1,182 yards. “He’s interesting,” said a second scout. “Kind of a good backup. He’s got to develop more in the passing game. Fluid. Has a little burst to him.”

Finished with 468 carries for 2,904 yards (6.2) and 22 TDs plus 32 receptions. “He can get to the second level in a hurry,” said a third scout. “Good hands, not great hands. Just a hard-charging runner who only has one year of production.” From Coral Springs, Fla.

10. Jermar Jefferson, Oregon State (5-foot-10, 206 pounds, 4.59 in the 40, Round 5): Third-year junior.

“He was impressive in 2018, was hurt much of 2019 (missed three games) and looked good again this year,” said one scout. “He’s short, but he’s thick. Catches the ball well. He’s really strong. Does take a lot of punishment. He’s an explosive back.”

Declared a year early after carrying 514 times for 2,923 yards (5.7) and scoring 27 TDs. Had only 43 receptions, including nine in each of the past two seasons. “He’s a wide-zone runner,” a second scout said. “On contact he goes down easy. He’s got no contact balance. He’s got no pass protection. He’s not really an accomplished catcher out of the backfield.” From Harbor City, Calif.

11. Kylin Hill, Mississippi State (5-foot-10 ½, 214 pounds, 4.56 in the 40, Round 5-6): Few doubt his ability after seeing him rush for 1,350 yards in 2019.

“He’s a really explosive athlete,” said one scout. “He’ll be good. Good outside runner. Between the tackles he struggles a little bit with his vision, but he jumps over people and he can catch the ball.”

New Bulldogs coach Mike Leach suspended Hill for a game in 2020 for a postgame outburst before Hill opted out of the season after three games.

Caught 23 passes in just three games last season, impressing another scout. “What he showed this year was more pass-game value,” he said. “Things didn’t go well for him there this year but talent-wise, I like him. Every-down player. He’s not small. Gives you some inside-outside run. Third round is fair.”

Started 27 of 40 games, finishing with 452 carries for 2,535 yards (5.6) and 16 TDs to go with 67 receptions.

12. Javian Hawkins, Louisville (5-foot-8, 183 pounds, 4.46 in the 40, Round 6): Third-year sophomore.

“This kid can put his foot in the ground and go,” said one scout. “He’s shifty. They didn’t use him a ton in the passing game but he can catch the ball pretty good. For a smaller guy he was actually better in pass (protection) than what I thought he’d be. As a talent, this kid could get drafted third or fourth round. Just high bust potential.”

Finished with 399 carries for 2,355 yards (5.9) and 16 TDs plus 21 receptions. “Too small to be a runner with any regularity,” a third scout said. “Very productive in their system. Package player on (NFL) level.” From Titusville, Fla.

Others: Chris Evans, Michigan; Kene Nwangwu, Iowa State; Elijah Mitchell, Louisiana Lafayette; Jake Funk, Maryland; Jaret Patterson, Buffalo; Gerrid Doaks, Cincinnati; Pooka Williams, Kansas; Spencer Brown, UAB; Trey Ragas, Louisiana Lafayette.

Ranking the fullbacks

1. Rhamondre Stevenson, Oklahoma (5-foot-11½, 231 pounds, 4.64 in the 40, Round 3-4): Compared by two scouts to ex-Packer Eddie Lacy.

“Eddie was more gifted — just the body type and the style is very similar,” said one scout. “He does have good feet for a big guy. AJ Dillon was big, kind of one speed, not very elusive. But he was 6-foot-2, 250 pounds and ran a 4.4. This guy is a big back, but he’s nimble and instinctive. He does have some foot quickness and lateral ability, but he’s a 4.6 guy. Dillon plays to a 4.6. He leaned out a lot (227) for the Senior Bowl. He played almost at 240 at times.”

Trey Sermon’s transfer in 2020 was precipitated by Stevenson’s ascension. Stevenson failed an NCAA drug test in December 2019, forcing him to miss a College Football Playoff game and the first five games of 2020.

Sat out 2016 getting his academic standing in order. Played junior college ball in 2017-18, backed up for the Sooners in 2019 and started five games in 2020. “He’s faster than you realize,” a second scout said. “He’s a little bit slower than Najee Harris, but not much. He’s got a little work to do, but that’d be a pretty good developmental prospect.” Finished with 165 carries for 1,180 yards  (7.2) and 13 TDs plus 28 receptions. From Las Vegas.

2. Ben Mason, Michigan (6-2½, 246, 4.76, 4-5): Jack of all trades, playing a lot of special teams and some fullback, some H-back and some defensive tackle.

“He’s a freaking insane tough guy,” said one scout. “I just like the way he carries himself. He’s a pretty good blocker. He doesn’t have athletic ability. Maybe he’ll be like (Patrick) Ricard.”

Led fullbacks in the vertical jump (37 ½), broad jump (9 foot, 9 inches) and bench press (29). The Michigan staff raved about his leadership ability. “He came in as a linebacker, went to fullback, went to (defensive) line and back to fullback,” another scout said. “He’s more like the old-school, bruising, run-blocking fullback. Physical and tough. Don’t know how much he has as a receiving threat.” Finished with 37 carries for 87 yards (2.4) and nine TDs plus three receptions. From Newtown, Conn.

3. Tory Carter, LSU (6-foot-0½, 229 pounds, 4.89 in the 40, Round 7-free agent): Was a force on special teams and at fullback for four seasons.

“He can block,” said one scout. “He’s physical. He caught the ball really well at pro day. He has really good hands. He was better than I expected. You could tell that he lost weight to run (at pro day). He’s naturally around 235 (pounds) or 240.” Finished with two carries for 4 yards plus 16 receptions. From Valdosta, Ga. Sat out three games in 2020 due to suspension.

Others: Mason Stokke, Wisconsin; Carl Tucker, Alabama; Adam Prentice, South Carolina.

The skinny

Unsung hero

Jake Funk, RB, Maryland: NFL special-teams coaches have identified him as one of the best in college football. Good height-weight-speed mix (5-foot-10, 204 pounds, 4.53 in the 40). Led running backs in the 3-cone (6.82). Carried 60 times in 2020 and averaged 8.6 yards. The negative is he played just three games in 2018 and ’19 because of two torn ACLs in his left knee.

Scouts’ nightmare

Elijah Mitchell, RB, Louisiana Lafayette: Teams really aren’t sure what they have in Mitchell. He weighed 215 pounds at the Senior Bowl. On March 29, he weighed 201 for pro day and ran a blazing 4.39 40. A three-year starter, he rushed for 3,267 yards (6.2) and 41 TDs. Maybe by now Mitchell has put the weight back on. If not, he wouldn’t be the same strong inside runner that he was at 215 pounds.

Scout to remember

Angelo Coia: In the mid-1950s when Al Davis was line coach and chief recruiter at The Citadel, he scored a recruiting coup by signing Coia, a split end from Philadelphia. When Davis moved to USC as an assistant, he brought Coia with him. After Coia’s seven-year NFL career spent mostly with the Bears, he worked in business. In 1983, Davis hired Coia as a college scout, a position he held until 2012. Coia, a world-class 400-meter runner at USC, was Davis’ expert on speed. He died in 2013. He was 74.

Quote to note

AFC personnel executive: “A lot of the cuts backs make in college are unrealistic in the NFL. In college, they’ve got those big giant lanes to run through. In college, everything is spread the field. In the NFL, you’re looking for guys that make runs in traffic or make sudden cuts and read the line of scrimmage.”

Just now, spicoli said:

My thing is, I absolutely believe 100% that Chase is the pick so I'm not gonna waste time and energy worrying about the OL until they get on the clock in R2. 

Ok, I can agree on that front, so why post these anti-Bengal-WR things?  Just trolling?  That's fine, just as long as we know that's what it is lol...

1 minute ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I would agree but it does sort of prove the point of this team always waiting for moves by other teams and not going out and just f*cking doing it themselves. If no other good OL are let go then we sign scraps again and say oh well, we tried. 

I mean they could easily bring in a guy like Trai Turner and let him compete for a spot. I don't really see a move like that as picking up "scraps".

1 minute ago, HavePityPlease said:

Just trolling?

I just really enjoy being the antithesis sometimes 😄

That said, I do believe Chase is a fantastic talent and they'll be lucky to have him when it's all said and done. I also REALLY like the OL depth in this draft. 

1 minute ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Was Turner the guy that was shite last year though?

The Chargers training staff fucked him up last year by puncturing one of his lungs with a needle lol....he was never right after that. He was pro-bowl every year prior though. Plus, I didn't say hand him a starting job, I just said let him compete for one. 

3 minutes ago, spicoli said:

The Chargers training staff fucked him up last year by puncturing one of his lungs with a needle lol....he was never right after that. He was pro-bowl every year prior though. Plus, I didn't say hand him a starting job, I just said let him compete for one. 

I did not know the back story to that, that is nasty. 

7 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I did not know the back story to that, that is nasty. 

Oops wrong guy, my bad. Tyrod Taylor was the one that got his lung punctured by a needle in SD. Turner fk’ed up his knee and only played 7 game last year. 

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

I believe theyll take Sewell and grab a Toney Wallace Bateman Brown type in round 2..

My pick would be Bateman if hes there..

We ll see soon enough..

4 hours ago, spicoli said:

WR's not being able to separate from DB's is actually a big part of the issue. 

They can take Chase and still fix the OL...those things aren't mutually exclusive. Not sure why that's so hard to wrap your head around. 

Yes, they can tale Chase and still fix the oline, but they won't get the same quality if they wait til Rd 2. And we also need DE in the worst way, so that needs to figured into the equation. With the compensatory picks you really only have 3 rounds to get primo talent before everything gets watered down. My ideal 3 round draft (no trade down, which I would prefer):

Sewell

Basham

Meinerz

What I think will happen:

Chase

Some slider of any position other then QB

Meinerz or another olineman

Hope I'm wrong.  

4 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Here’s a quick position group needs ranking...

Offensive Line > Wide Receiver

Defensive Line > Wide Receiver

Honestly not sure what some people are missing 

Alot of fans want glitz..

Guys in the trenches are just hogs to them...

17 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Im gonna go ahead and say that Mike Brown missed the memo..

22 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

His father gave him the memo and probably said it a thousand times , it just did not sink into the thick skull

Even Merv said he wanted more tough guys but Mikey wanted the ferrari’s

And thats why I worry about pick 5..

That Ferrari looks sleeker than the Clydesdale....😒 

And....jersey sales..

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

You can probably add tight end and maybe (with Gio gone) running back.

9 minutes ago, gupps said:

You can probably add tight end and maybe (with Gio gone) running back.

The Dline  is ahead of the Oline at this point...they can tweak it some..

The Oline is still is in a disarray mode..

Drafting Sewell upgrades the line immensely...

17 hours ago, spicoli said:

WR's not being able to separate from DB's is actually a big part of the issue. 

No, it was less than a third of the issue, as the stat you posted shows.. and even that much is based on one guy's opinion that there wasn't a single viable receiver on the play.

Not having an OL that can pass protect was, by far, the biggest issue.  Who are we kidding here?

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah I bet he'll look awesome jogging back to the huddle after another off-target pass from Brandon Allen

Exactly, this whole Burrow to Chase connection is a moot point if Burrow gets injured again and currently he's not healthy enough to play in the preseason, so who knows how rusty he will be and what kind of connection he will have with his WR's.

Championship football teams are built from the inside out, you stack both lines with enough talent to compete with anyone, and add on from there.

Sewell makes the offense as a whole better and adds much needed depth to depleted position group. 

If the Bengals are serious about protecting their franchise QB, aka the prince who was promised, then taking a WR in the first round should not be a serious option.  Pairing a franchise QB with a dominant LT is more important than getting him a 3rd WR.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah I bet he'll look awesome jogging back to the huddle after another off-target pass from Brandon Allen

Well unless they trade back, Chase is who they're taking.

Blame them, not us. 

Archived